• Published 8th Dec 2016
  • 6,658 Views, 351 Comments

Of Men and Insects - VeganSpyro97



Chrysalis has lost. The Changelings have a new leader, and all is right with the world.... Or, it was.

  • ...
31
 351
 6,658

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 13: Questioning What You Know

Despite​ ​each​ ​having​ ​their​ ​own​ ​rooms,​ ​five​ ​mares​ ​sat​ ​huddled​ ​together​ ​in​ ​the​ ​Canterlottian night,​ ​​ ​whispering​ ​in​ conspiratorial​ ​tones​ ​about​ ​the​ ​mare​ ​not​ ​present,​ ​and​ ​the​ ​changeling​ ​who​ ​was with​ ​her.

“That​ ​was​ ​weird,​ ​right?”​ ​Princess​ ​Twilight​ ​asked,​ ​her​ ​purple​ ​eyes​ ​glistening​ ​in​ ​the​ ​light​ ​of Luna’s​ ​pale​ ​moon.​ ​“Fluttershy​ ​has​ ​gotten​ ​more​ ​confident​ ​since​ ​we​ ​first​ ​met,​ ​but​ ​that​ ​was​ ​like watching​ ​an​ ​entirely​ ​different​ ​mare!”

“Fluttershy​ ​does​ ​have​ ​a​ ​history​ ​with​ ​guys​ ​though.”​ ​Pinkie​ ​happily​ ​chipped​ ​in.​ ​“I​ ​mean, Discord,​ ​and​ ​Zephyr,​ ​and​ ​Angel​ ​and​ ​Iron​ ​Will.​ ​They’ve​ ​all​ ​learned​ ​stuff​ ​from​ ​her!​ ​Iron​ ​Will’s​ ​less​ ​of​ ​a meany​ ​pants,​ ​Discord’s​ ​not​ ​super-duper​ ​evil​ ​anymore,​ Zephyr’s​ ​learning​ ​not​ ​to​ ​be​ ​all​ ​lazy-wazy,​ ​and Angel….​ ​Well,​ ​I​ ​don’t​ ​know​ ​if​ ​Angel’s​ ​really​ ​all​ ​that​ ​different​ ​without​ ​her.”

“Allan’s​ ​getting​ ​more​ ​confident​ ​too.”​ ​Applejack​ ​offered​ ​her​ ​own​ ​two-bits,​ ​not​ ​wanting​ ​her opinion’s​ ​to​ ​go​ ​entirely​ ​unvoiced.​ ​“Why,​ ​whenever​ ​he​ ​helps​ ​out​ ​at​ ​the​ ​farm,​ ​we​ ​get​ ​twice​ ​as​ ​much done​ ​in​ ​half​ ​the​ ​time!”

“And​ ​he​ ​doesn’t​ ​wear​ ​his​ ​hood​ ​up​ ​​ ​anymore.​ ​When​ ​he​ ​first​ ​went​ ​out​ ​into​ ​Ponyville,​ ​he wouldn’t​ ​even​ ​look​ ​at​ ​anypony!​ ​Now​ ​he​ ​could​ ​be​ ​any​ ​normal​ ​pony.”​ ​Twilight​ ​exclaimed.

“Yeah.”​ ​Rainbow​ ​hadn’t​ ​said​ ​much​ ​up​ ​until​ ​that​ ​point.​ ​“While​ ​I​ ​was​ ​panicking​ ​over​ ​the​ ​poison joke,​ ​he​ ​just​ ​kept​ ​me​ ​focused​ ​on​ ​getting​ ​right​ ​on​ ​over​ ​to​ ​Twilight,​ ​even​ ​after​ ​I​ ​burned​ ​his​ ​face​ ​by accident.​ ​I​ ​don’t​ ​think​ ​the​ ​Allan​ ​who​ ​first​ ​came​ ​here​ ​would​ ​have​ ​been​ ​able​ ​to​ ​do​ ​that.”

Twilight​ ​nodded​ ​in​ ​agreement.​ ​“Well,​ ​he’s​ ​definitely​ ​improving,​ ​but​ ​to​ ​be​ ​honest,​ ​I’m​ ​not entirely​ ​sure​ ​why.”

Rarity​ ​burst​ ​out​ ​laughing,​ ​her​ ​elegant​ ​dressing​ ​gown​ ​and​ ​mane​ ​curlers​ ​almost​ ​hiding​ ​her​ ​face from​ ​view​ ​in​ ​the​ ​dark​ ​room.​ ​“Really​ ​darling?​ ​You​ ​don’t​ ​understand?”​ ​She​ ​covered​ ​her​ ​hoof​ ​with​ ​her mouth,​ ​snickering.​ ​“I​ ​understand​ ​perfectly.”

“You….​ ​do?”​ ​Applejack​ ​asked,​ ​head​ ​cocked​ ​to​ ​one​ ​side.​ ​The​ ​Earth​ ​Pony​ ​mare​ ​tried​ ​to​ ​figure out​ ​what​ ​her​ ​Unicorn​ ​friend​ ​was​ ​going​ ​on​ ​about,​ ​and​ ​she​ ​wasn’t​ ​entirely​ ​happy​ ​when​ ​she​ ​did.​ ​“Wait, really?​ ​Them​ ​two?​ ​You​ ​gotta​ ​be​ ​jokin’​ ​Rarity!”

“Ooh!​ ​Ooh!​ ​Are​ ​they…​ ​​ ​playing​ ​a​ ​game?​ ​Are​ ​they​ ​betting​ ​each​ ​other?​ ​Daring​ ​each​ ​other?​ ​Are they-”​ ​Pinkie’s​ ​stream​ ​of​ ​suggestions​ ​was​ ​cut​ ​short​ ​by​ ​Rainbow​ ​Dash’s​ ​hoof​ ​in​ ​her​ ​mouth.

“Okay​ ​AJ,​ ​what’s​ ​Rarity​ ​going​ ​on​ ​about?”​ ​The​ ​athletic​ ​pegasus​ ​asked,​ ​before​ ​she​ ​jerked​ ​her hoof​ ​away​ ​from​ ​Pinkie​ ​with​ ​a​ ​cry​ ​of​ ​disgust​ ​as​ ​the​ ​Pink​ ​Pony​ ​gave​ ​Rainbow's​ ​hoof​ ​a​ ​big,​ ​wet,​ ​slobbery lick.​ ​Pinkie​ ​fell​ ​over​ ​laughing.

“Rarity​ ​thinks​ ​Fluttershy​ ​and​ ​Allan​ ​have​ ​the​ ​hots​ ​for​ ​each​ ​other.”​ ​Applejack​ ​said,​ ​directing​ ​a glare​ ​Rarity’s​ ​way.

“What?”​ ​The​ ​fashionista​ ​asked,​ ​her​ ​eyes​ ​big,​ ​in​ ​an​ ​attempt​ ​to​ ​look​ ​innocent.

“Y’all​ ​know​ ​what.​ ​Y’all​ ​need​ ​to​ ​stop​ ​readin’​ ​them​ ​trashy​ ​romance​ ​novels!”

“Ugh!​ ​They​ ​are​ ​not​ ​“trashy”!”​ ​Rarity​ ​protested.

“Does​ ​the​ ​hot​ ​guy​ ​and​ ​cute​ ​gal​ ​get​ ​together​ ​at​ ​the​ ​end​ ​an’​ ​ride​ ​off​ ​into​ ​the​ ​sunset?”

“Well….sometimes.”​ ​Rarity​ ​admitted.

“Trashy​ ​romance​ ​novel.”

“You​ ​take​ ​that​ ​back!”​ ​Rarity’s​ ​indignant​ ​tone​ ​raised​ ​her​ ​voice​ ​a​ ​few​ ​octaves.

Applejack​ ​was​ ​about​ ​to​ ​respond​ ​when​ ​a​ ​sleepy​ ​voice​ ​drifted​ ​in​ ​through​ ​the​ ​door.​ ​“Um… girls…​ ​could​ ​you​ ​keep​ ​it​ ​down.​ ​We’re​ ​trying​ ​to​ ​sleep.”

The​ ​group​ ​immediately​ ​fell​ ​silent.

*******************

The​ ​world​ ​about​ ​them​ ​was​ ​one​ ​of​ ​bright​ ​purples,​ ​navy​ ​blues​ ​and​ ​shimmering,​ ​and​ ​bright, fluorescent​ ​plants​ ​that​ ​existed​ ​nowhere​ ​else.​ ​Stars​ ​shimmered​ ​above​ ​them,​ ​and​ ​the​ ​moon​ ​hung heavily​ ​overhead.​ ​It​ ​was​ ​a​ ​world​ ​tailored​ ​to​ ​the​ ​mare​ ​who​ ​inhabited​ ​it,​ ​one​ ​of​ ​quiet,​ ​peaceful serenity,​ ​where​ ​she​ ​could​ ​think,​ ​or​ ​just​ ​relax.

However,​ ​unlike​ ​the​ ​grand​ ​majority​ ​of​ ​nights,​ ​the​ ​dream​ ​was​ ​no​ ​longer​ ​inhabited​ ​by​ ​just​ ​one, but​ ​instead​ ​by​ ​two.​ ​The​ ​two​ ​figures​ ​played​ ​chess,​ ​and​ ​talked​ ​about​ ​the​ ​nature​ ​of​ ​the​ ​universe.​ ​They talked​ ​about​ ​life.​ ​About​ ​hardship​ ​and​ ​pain.​ ​And,​ ​as​ ​Allan​ ​was​ ​just​ ​about​ ​ready​ ​to​ ​call​ ​it​ ​a​ ​night,​ ​Luna brought​ ​up​ ​one​ ​final​ ​topic.

“What​ ​do​ ​you​ ​think​ ​about​ ​love?”

Allan​ ​raised​ ​an​ ​eyebrow,​ ​or​ ​what​ ​passed​ ​for​ ​one,​ ​in​ ​query.​ ​“What​ ​do​ ​you​ ​mean?”

Luna​ ​chuckled,​ ​moving​ ​a​ ​chess-piece​ ​with​ ​her​ ​magic.​ ​“I​ ​mean,​ ​what​ ​do​ ​you​ ​think​ ​about​ ​love? How​ ​you​ ​experience​ ​it,​ ​what​ ​it​ ​means….​ ​Who​ ​you​ ​love.”

Allan​ ​moved​ ​a​ ​knight​ ​to​ ​take​ ​her​ ​bishop.​ ​“Well,​ ​love​ ​is​ ​something​ ​that’s​ ​different​ ​for everyone,​ ​right?”

“True.​ ​But​ ​I’m​ ​asking​ ​you.”​ ​Luna’s​ ​queen​ ​rushed​ ​in​ ​to​ ​take​ ​Allan's​ ​rook.​ ​“What​ ​does​ ​love​ ​feel like​ ​for​ ​you?”

Allan​ ​paused,​ ​floating​ ​his​ ​queen​ ​up​ ​in​ ​the​ ​air​ ​as​ ​he​ ​tried​ ​to​ ​answer​ ​Luna​ ​and​ ​decide​ ​where​ ​to place​ ​his​ ​piece.​ ​He​ ​settled​ ​on​ ​keeping​ ​his​ ​Queen​ ​out​ ​of​ ​reach​ ​as​ ​he​ ​answered.​ ​“Well,​ ​for​ ​me…​ ​it’s kinda​ ​like….an​ ​adventure​ ​that​ ​you​ ​share.​ ​A​ ​warm​ ​feeling​ ​of:​ ​“yeah,​ ​we​ ​did​ ​that.”​ ​Does​ ​that​ ​make sense?”

Luna​ ​chuckled,​ ​using​ ​a​ ​knight​ ​to​ ​take​ ​a​ ​bishop.​ ​She​ ​inspected​ ​the​ ​defeated​ ​piece​ ​for​ ​a moment,​ ​before​ ​setting​ ​it​ ​down​ ​on​ ​the​ ​large,​ ​flat​ ​mushroom​ ​being​ ​used​ ​as​ ​a​ ​table.​ ​“Yes.​ ​Would​ ​you say​ ​it’s​ ​also​ ​a​ ​bond​ ​of​ ​trust?”

“Definitely.”​ ​Allan​ ​answered,​ ​taking​ ​a​ ​pawn.​ ​“Why​ ​do​ ​you​ ​ask?”

“Well,​ ​do​ ​you​ ​recall​ ​what​ ​I​ ​said​ ​about​ ​how​ ​long​ ​it’s​ ​been​ ​since​ ​I​ ​could​ ​talk​ ​to​ ​anypony​ ​like this?”​ ​Allan​ ​nodded.​ ​“The​ ​last​ ​pony​ ​I​ ​did​ ​this​ ​with​ ​was​ ​my​ ​guard​ ​captain.​ ​When​ ​he​ ​played,​ ​the​ ​board pieces​ ​resembled​ ​those​ ​he​ ​loved​ ​and​ ​trusted.”

Allan​ ​turned​ ​his​ ​gaze​ ​back​ ​to​ ​the​ ​board.​ ​It​ ​was​ ​only​ ​now​ ​that​ ​he​ ​noticed​ ​the​ ​designs​ ​each piece​ ​had,​ ​with​ ​each​ ​being​ ​personalized​ ​to​ ​their​ ​respective​ ​player. The​ ​King,​ ​for​ ​Luna,​ ​was​ ​a​ ​carving​ ​of​ ​Celestia,​ ​while​ ​her​ ​Queen​ ​was​ ​a​ ​replica​ ​of​ ​herself.​ ​Her bishops​ ​were​ ​the​ ​Element​ ​bearers,​ ​separated​ ​evenly​ ​between​ ​the​ ​two​ ​pieces.​ ​The​ ​knights​ ​were​ ​a pair​ ​of​ ​regal​ ​looking​ ​ponies,​ ​an​ ​Alicorn​ ​mare​ ​and​ ​a​ ​Unicorn​ ​stallion,​ ​though​ ​Allan​ ​had​ ​no​ ​clue​ ​who they​ ​were.​ ​The​ ​Rooks​ ​were​ ​royal​ ​guards,​ ​one​ ​day,​ ​and​ ​one​ ​night,​ ​respectively.​ ​The​ ​pawns​ ​were​ ​each random​ ​ponies,​ ​save​ ​for​ ​one​ ​that​ ​was​ ​actually​ ​a​ ​carving​ ​of​ ​the​ ​three​ ​Cutie​ ​Mark​ ​Crusaders.

For​ ​Allan,​ ​he​ ​found​ ​his​ ​pieces​ ​to​ ​be…​ ​unexpected.​ ​The​ ​pawns​ ​were​ ​blank,​ ​just​ ​the​ ​same​ ​as​ ​a normal​ ​chess​ ​set,​ ​but​ ​the​ ​rooks​ ​were​ ​his​ ​extended​ ​family,​ ​his​ ​cousins​ ​and​ ​aunts​ ​and​ ​uncles,​ ​and​ ​the Knights​ ​were​ ​his​ ​friends;​ ​Josh,​ ​Mike,​ ​and….​ ​Anna?​ ​Allan​ ​raised​ ​his​ ​eyebrow​ ​at​ ​that.​ ​The​ ​bishops were….equally​ ​surprising.​ ​​ ​One​ ​bishop​ ​consisted​ ​of​ ​his​ ​parents,​ ​Richard​ ​and​ ​Mary,​ ​and​ ​the​ ​other were​ ​the​ ​easily​ ​recognizable​ ​figures​ ​of​ ​Twilight,​ ​Rarity,​ ​Applejack,​ ​Rainbow​ ​Dash,​ ​and​ ​Pinkie.​ ​The​ ​king
Was​ ​himself,​ ​both​ ​as​ ​a​ ​human,​ ​and​ ​as​ ​a​ ​changeling,​ ​but​ ​the​ ​figures​ ​seemed​ ​to​ ​be​ ​almost…..jostling each​ ​other​ ​for​ ​position.​ ​The​ ​Queen​ ​captured​ ​his​ ​gaze​ ​though.​ ​The​ ​Queen​ ​was​ ​made​ ​of​ ​three​ ​figures, and​ ​he​ ​was​ ​surprised​ ​to​ ​see​ ​that,​ ​alongside​ ​his​ ​sister,​ ​Katie,​ ​was​ ​Luna​ ​herself,​ ​and,​ ​above​ ​them, Fluttershy.

“I…​ ​don’t​ ​understand?”​ ​Allan​ ​returned​ ​his​ ​gaze​ ​to​ ​the​ ​ruler​ ​of​ ​the​ ​night.​ ​“What​ ​does​ ​that mean?”

Luna​ ​smiled​ ​again,​ ​resetting​ ​the​ ​board​ ​so​ ​that​ ​every​ ​piece​ ​was​ ​back​ ​in​ ​order.​ ​“Perhaps​ ​you should​ ​evaluate​ ​it​ ​based​ ​on​ ​the​ ​game’s​ ​rules?​ ​Which​ ​pieces​ ​are​ ​most​ ​important,​ ​and​ ​why?​ ​How​ ​have these​ ​individuals​ ​affected​ ​your​ ​life?”

Allan​ ​looked​ ​down​ ​at​ ​his​ ​pieces,​ ​examining​ ​each​ ​of​ ​them.​ ​“Well….my​ ​extended​ ​family…..I barely​ ​see​ ​them,​ ​but​ ​they’re​ ​always​ ​supportive.​ ​My​ ​friends….​ ​Well,​ ​my​ ​friends​ ​are​ ​awesome!​ ​We’d always​ ​hang​ ​out,​ ​we’d​ ​go​ ​exploring,​ ​we’d​ ​do​ ​​ ​all​ ​sorts​ ​of​ ​stuff​ ​together…...That​ ​doesn’t​ ​answer​ ​Anna though!​ ​She​ ​was-no,​ ​is,​ ​my​ ​girlfriend!”

Luna​ ​looked​ ​at​ ​the​ ​pieces,​ ​eyebrow​ ​arched.​ ​“You​ ​already​ ​know​ ​​ ​why.​ ​The​ ​board​ ​decides which​ ​person​ ​goes​ ​on​ ​which​ ​piece​ ​based​ ​on​ ​your​ ​subconscious.​ ​You​ ​know​ ​the​ ​truth,​ ​but​ ​accepting​ ​it might​ ​take​ ​a​ ​little​ ​more​ ​time.”

Allan​ ​grunted.​ ​He​ ​didn’t​ ​want​ ​to​ ​say​ ​anything,​ ​for​ ​fear​ ​of​ ​overstepping​ ​his​ ​bounds,​ ​or​ ​being rude​ ​by​ ​saying​ ​he​ ​thought​ ​her​ ​board​ ​was​ ​being​ ​stupid.​ ​He​ ​took​ ​a​ ​deep​ ​breath,​ ​and​ ​then​ ​chose​ ​to focus​ ​​ ​on​ ​the​ ​rest​ ​of​ ​his​ ​pieces,​ ​starting​ ​up​ ​again​ ​with​ ​the​ ​bishops.​ ​“Twilight​ ​and​ ​her​ ​friends…​ ​they’ve been​ ​helping​ ​me​ ​out,​ ​even​ ​when​ ​they’ve​ ​only​ ​known​ ​me​ ​for​ ​a​ ​few​ ​weeks.​ ​I​ ​have​ ​so​ ​much​ ​to​ ​thank them​ ​all​ ​for….”​ ​Allan​ ​smiled​ ​at​ ​the​ ​thought​ ​of​ ​Twilight,​ ​Rainbow​ ​and​ ​Rarity’s​ ​lessons,​ ​Applejack’s
Acceptance​ ​and​ ​Pinkie’s…..​ ​craziness.​ ​“And​ ​my​ ​parents​ ​are​ ​obvious.​ ​I​ ​love​ ​them​ ​so​ ​much,​ ​and……​ ​I miss​ ​them.​ ​Katie….she’s​ ​my​ ​older​ ​sister.​ ​I’ve​ ​always​ ​looked​ ​up​ ​to​ ​her.​ ​She’s​ ​always​ ​managed​ ​to​ ​reach any​ ​goal​ ​she​ ​sets,​ ​no​ ​matter​ ​how​ ​long​ ​it​ ​takes.​ ​She’s​ ​brilliant.”​ ​Allan​ ​took​ ​a​ ​deep​ ​breath​ ​before continuing.​ ​“You…​ ​I’ve​ ​only​ ​met​ ​you​ ​once​ ​when​ ​I​ ​was​ ​awake,​ ​and​ ​twice​ ​now​ ​when​ ​I’ve​ ​been​ ​asleep.​ ​I guess​ ​I​ ​trust​ ​you​ ​because​ ​you​ ​genuinely​ ​seem​ ​to​ ​be​ ​interested​ ​in​ ​me,​ ​and​ ​my​ ​well-being.”​ ​Luna​ ​gave an​ ​agreeing​ ​nod​ ​and​ ​a​ ​happy​ ​smile.​ ​“And​ ​Fluttershy?​ ​Well….I…..She…..” Allan​ ​found​ ​that​ ​he​ ​just​ ​didn’t​ ​know​ ​where​ ​to​ ​begin.​ ​Fluttershy​ ​had​ ​already​ ​done​ ​so​ ​much​ ​to help​ ​him​ ​that….

“You​ ​trust​ ​her.”​ ​Luna​ ​answered​ ​her​ ​own​ ​question.​ ​“She’s​ ​let​ ​you​ ​share​ ​her​ ​home,​ ​she’s looked​ ​after​ ​you,​ ​without​ ​reason​ ​or​ ​reward.​ ​She​ ​cares​ ​about​ ​you.”​ ​Luna’s​ ​face​ ​turned​ ​into​ ​a mischievous​ ​smile.​ ​“And​ ​you​ ​like​ ​‘like’​ ​her,​ ​as​ ​I​ ​believe​ ​the​ ​saying​ ​goes.”

Allan​ ​felt​ ​his​ ​cheeks​ ​burn.​ ​“Whu-what?​ ​No​ ​I​ ​don’t!​ ​I​ ​have​ ​no​ ​idea​ ​what​ ​you’re​ ​talking​ ​about!”

“Please​ ​Allan,​ ​do​ ​not​ ​try​ ​to​ ​deny​ ​what​ ​your​ ​subconscious​ ​is​ ​telling​ ​you.”​ ​Luna​ ​paused,​ ​taking the​ ​time​ ​to​ ​put​ ​all​ ​the​ ​pieces​ ​back​ ​where​ ​they​ ​had​ ​been​ ​before​ ​she​ ​had​ ​reset​ ​the​ ​board.​ ​“The​ ​people you​ ​love​ ​and​ ​trust​ ​most​ ​are​ ​often​ ​one​ ​and​ ​the​ ​same.​ ​Thanks​ ​to​ ​the​ ​help​ ​of​ ​Princess​ ​Twilight​ ​and​ ​her friends,​ ​I​ ​have​ ​come​ ​to​ ​better​ ​appreciate​ ​both​ ​my​ ​sister​ ​and​ ​myself.​ ​The​ ​captain​ ​who​ ​last​ ​played?​ ​I watched​ ​his​ ​pieces​ ​over​ ​the​ ​years,​ ​and​ ​they​ ​slowly​ ​changed.​ ​First,​ ​he​ ​found​ ​a​ ​mare​ ​he​ ​liked,​ ​and​ ​she was​ ​placed​ ​as​ ​a​ ​bishop.​ ​Then,​ ​over​ ​time,​ ​they​ ​fell​ ​in​ ​love,​ ​and​ ​she​ ​rose​ ​up​ ​to​ ​the​ ​Queen​ ​position, alongside​ ​the​ ​captain’s​ ​mother,​ ​Tia​ ​and​ ​myself.​ ​Then…​ ​they​ ​married,​ ​and​ ​she​ ​joined​ ​him​ ​on​ ​the​ ​king piece.​ ​Do​ ​you​ ​see​ ​where​ ​I’m​ ​going​ ​with​ ​this?”

“I​ ​think​ ​so.”

“Now​ ​think​ ​about​ ​how​ ​you​ ​feel​ ​about​ ​Fluttershy.”

“Well….I​ ​admit,​ ​I​ ​do​ ​like​ ​her.​ ​She’s​ ​smart,​ ​and​ ​funny,​ ​and​ ​kind.​ ​She​ ​was​ ​willing​ ​to​ ​help​ ​me even​ ​when​ ​she​ ​had​ ​no​ ​reason​ ​to​ ​trust​ ​me.​ ​She’s​ ​pretty,​ ​but​ ​not​ ​flouncy.​ ​She’s​ ​confident,​ ​but​ ​not brash.​ ​She’s….well,​ ​she’s​ ​wonderful.”

“I​ ​thought​ ​so.”​ ​Luna​ ​smirked.​ ​“You​ ​are​ ​falling​ ​in​ ​love.”

“But,​ ​I’m​ ​already​ ​in​ ​love​ ​with​ ​Anna!”​ ​Allan​ ​protested.​ ​“I​ ​couldn’t-”

Luna​ ​reached​ ​across​ ​the​ ​table​ ​and​ ​shushed​ ​him​ ​with​ ​a​ ​hoof.​ ​“Allan,​ ​calm​ ​down.​ ​Just….​ ​Think about​ ​what​ ​I​ ​said,​ ​and​ ​you’ll​ ​understand.”​ ​Her​ ​eyes​ ​grew​ ​distant​ ​for​ ​a​ ​moment,​ ​before​ ​she​ ​blinked.

“Dawn​ ​is​ ​almost​ ​here​ ​I’m​ ​afraid.​ ​It​ ​looks​ ​like​ ​we’ll​ ​have​ ​to​ ​finish​ ​our​ ​game​ ​another​ ​time.”​ ​Luna​ ​stood, her​ ​magic​ ​causing​ ​the​ ​board​ ​to​ ​fade​ ​away.​ ​“I​ ​hope​ ​you​ ​have​ ​a​ ​good​ ​day,​ ​Allan.”

Before​ ​Allan​ ​could​ ​offer​ ​a​ ​reply,​ ​Luna​ ​simply​ ​vanished,​ ​and​ ​her​ ​dream​ ​world​ ​joined​ ​the chessboard​ ​in​ ​oblivion.​ ​The​ ​fading​ ​world​ ​deposited​ ​Allan​ ​back​ ​in​ ​the​ ​familiar​ ​void,​ ​which,​ ​after​ ​the lovely​ ​scenery​ ​of​ ​Luna’s​ ​imagination,​ ​was​ ​a​ ​big​ ​downer.​ ​He​ ​was​ ​left​ ​alone​ ​in​ ​that​ ​void​ ​to​ ​ponder​ ​the night’s​ ​discussion,​ ​and​ ​after​ ​a​ ​few​ ​minutes,​ ​all​ ​he​ ​had​ ​to​ ​say​ ​was:

“Huh….”
*******************

Katherine​ ​Ryder​ ​sat​ ​behind​ ​the​ ​wheel​ ​of​ ​her​ ​car,​ ​her​ ​fiancée​ ​sitting​ ​in​ ​the​ ​passenger​ ​seat beside​ ​her.​ ​She​ ​had​ ​been​ ​staring​ ​at​ ​the​ ​front​ ​doors​ ​of​ ​the​ ​hospital​ ​for​ ​some​ ​time,​ ​her​ ​right​ ​hand​ ​on the​ ​wheel​ ​and​ ​her​ ​left​ ​on​ ​her​ ​forehead.​ ​Jeremy,​ ​her​ ​fiancée,​ ​remained​ ​silent.​ ​It​ ​wasn’t​ ​often​ ​that​ ​his wife-to-be​ ​had​ ​to​ ​work​ ​up​ ​the​ ​courage​ ​to​ ​do​ ​anything,​ ​but​ ​getting​ ​out​ ​of​ ​the​ ​car​ ​and​ ​going​ ​in​ ​to​ ​see her​ ​brother​ ​was​ ​something​ ​even​ ​she​ ​required​ ​a​ ​little​ ​time​ ​to​ ​prepare​ ​for.

She​ ​pulled​ ​her​ ​long,​ ​brown​ ​hair​ ​up​ ​into​ ​a​ ​ponytail,​ ​using​ ​a​ ​headband​ ​she​ ​usually​ ​kept​ ​on​ ​the dashboard​ ​to​ ​hold​ ​it​ ​all​ ​in​ ​place.​ ​Jeremy​ ​still​ ​didn’t​ ​say​ ​anything,​ ​even​ ​as​ ​Kate​ ​opened​ ​the​ ​door​ ​and stepped​ ​out,​ ​taking​ ​a​ ​deep​ ​breath​ ​as​ ​she​ ​did.​ ​Her​ ​strides​ ​were​ ​full​ ​of​ ​purpose,​ ​the​ ​goal​ ​she​ ​had​ ​in mind​ ​driving​ ​her​ ​on.

The​ ​pair​ ​entered​ ​through​ ​the​ ​main​ ​doors,​ ​and​ ​went​ ​straight​ ​for​ ​reception,​ ​asking​ ​for​ ​her brother​ ​by​ ​name.​ ​After​ ​the​ ​secretary​ ​pulled​ ​up​ ​the​ ​records​ ​and​ ​checked​ ​them​ ​for​ ​the​ ​name,​ ​they were​ ​directed​ ​right​ ​to​ ​the​ ​hospital’s​ ​Recovery​ ​Ward.
They​ ​found​ ​the​ ​room​ ​quite​ ​easily,​ ​presided​ ​over​ ​by​ ​an​ ​exhausted​ ​looking​ ​Doctor,​ ​who’s surname​ ​was​ ​Kim.​ ​With​ ​him​ ​were​ ​Richard​ ​and​ ​Mary,​ ​Katie​ ​and​ ​Allan's​ ​parents.​ ​It​ ​had​ ​been​ ​almost three​ ​weeks​ ​now,​ ​since​ ​his​ ​accident,​ ​and​ ​he​ ​had​ ​yet​ ​to​ ​wake​ ​up​ ​for​ ​more​ ​than​ ​a​ ​few​ ​incoherent moments​ ​at​ ​a​ ​time.

“Hey​ ​mom.​ ​Hey​ ​dad…”​ ​Katie​ ​greeted​ ​them,​ ​trying​ ​to​ ​keep​ ​her​ ​voice​ ​from​ ​shaking.​ ​“How… how​ ​is​ ​he?”

Doctor​ ​Kim​ ​gave​ ​her​ ​a​ ​wan​ ​smile.​ ​“A​ ​little​ ​better.​ ​He’s​ ​been​ ​improving​ ​somewhat,​ ​over​ ​the past​ ​few​ ​days.​ ​My​ ​fellow​ ​doctors​ ​and​ ​I​ ​are​ ​hopeful​ ​that​ ​he’ll​ ​regain​ ​consciousness​ ​soon.”

“What​ ​about​ ​his​ ​memory?”​ ​Katie​ ​dreaded​ ​the​ ​answer,​ ​but​ ​this​ ​was​ ​her​ ​baby​ ​brother.​ ​She had​ ​to​ ​know​ ​the​ ​truth.

“We….​ ​we​ ​aren’t​ ​sure.”​ ​Doctor​ ​Kim​ ​replied,​ ​hesitantly.​ ​“The​ ​head​ ​trauma​ ​he​ ​received​ ​may have​ ​caused​ ​him​ ​to​ ​develop​ ​the​ ​condition,​ ​but​ ​until​ ​he​ ​wakes​ ​up,​ ​I’m​ ​afraid​ ​we​ ​just​ ​can’t​ ​tell.”

Allan,​ ​as​ ​if​ ​on​ ​cue,​ ​let​ ​out​ ​a​ ​very​ ​quiet​ ​groan.​ ​The​ ​room​ ​fell​ ​silent,​ ​it’s​ ​inhabitants​ ​attention​ ​all turned​ ​to​ ​the​ ​figure​ ​in​ ​the​ ​bed.​ ​He​ ​did​ ​not​ ​stir​ ​any​ ​more,​ ​and​ ​the​ ​growing​ ​hope​ ​felt​ ​by​ ​all​ ​was​ ​dashed to​ ​pieces​ ​by​ ​his​ ​continued​ ​comatose​ ​state.

******************

Night​ ​fell,​ ​and​ ​the​ ​hospital​ ​grew​ ​quiet,​ ​many​ ​of​ ​the​ ​numerous​ ​visitors​ ​going​ ​home,​ ​and​ ​those that​ ​stayed​ ​settled​ ​in​ ​for​ ​the​ ​long​ ​night.​ ​Katie​ ​sighed,​ ​looking​ ​out​ ​of​ ​the​ ​window​ ​in​ ​Allan's​ ​room​ ​at the​ ​departing​ ​form​ ​of​ ​her​ ​parents​ ​car.​ ​She​ ​had​ ​told​ ​them​ ​to​ ​go​ ​home​ ​and​ ​get​ ​a​ ​proper​ ​night's​ ​rest,​ ​as they​ ​had​ ​been​ ​spending​ ​as​ ​many​ ​nights​ ​as​ ​they​ ​could​ ​by​ ​their​ ​son’s​ ​side​ ​and​ ​were​ ​understandably suffering​ ​from​ ​exhaustion.

Jeremy​ ​was​ ​already​ ​asleep,​ ​snoring​ ​softly​ ​in​ ​his​ ​chair,​ ​covered​ ​by​ ​his​ ​big​ ​jacket.​ ​She​ ​smiled, taking​ ​the​ ​time​ ​to​ ​re-acquaint​ ​herself​ ​with​ ​the​ ​man​ ​who​ ​had​ ​stolen​ ​her​ ​heart.​ ​He​ ​was​ ​a​ ​skinny​ ​man, with​ ​glasses​ ​and​ ​a​ ​mop​ ​of​ ​curly,​ ​ginger​ ​hair​ ​that​ ​framed​ ​a​ ​young-ish​ ​face​ ​that​ ​was​ ​dotted​ ​with​ ​the occasional​ ​freckle.​ ​He​ ​was​ ​quite​ ​handsome,​ ​despite​ ​the​ ​strange,​ ​age​ ​old,​ ​belief​ ​that​ ​ginger​ ​people were​ ​ugly​ ​devil-spawn.​ ​She’d​ ​never​ ​understood​ ​how​ ​such​ ​a​ ​loving​ ​and​ ​generous​ ​young​ ​man​ ​could​ ​be labeled​ ​as​ ​either​ ​ugly​ ​or​ ​devil​ ​spawn,​ ​simply​ ​by​ ​way​ ​of​ ​his​ ​hair​ ​colour,​ ​but​ ​Katie​ ​had​ ​long​ ​ago​ ​given up​ ​on​ ​pretending​ ​the​ ​human​ ​race​ ​was​ ​anything​ ​but​ ​weird.​ ​She​ ​often​ ​thought​ ​of​ ​how​ ​he​ ​reminded her​ ​of​ ​the​ ​actor​ ​Eddie​ ​Redmayne;​ ​kind​ ​of​ ​geeky​ ​and​ ​a​ ​little​ ​odd,​ ​but​ ​with​ ​a​ ​heart​ ​of​ ​gold.

She​ ​smiled​ ​again,​ ​before​ ​she​ ​let​ ​her​ ​gaze​ ​fall​ ​back​ ​to​ ​her​ ​brother. Allan​ ​had​ ​always​ ​been​ ​rather​ ​against​ ​Jeremy​ ​and​ ​Katie,​ ​but​ ​for​ ​the​ ​most​ ​part,​ ​it​ ​had​ ​just​ ​been for​ ​a​ ​laugh,​ ​Allan's​ ​protectiveness​ ​of​ ​his​ ​big​ ​sister​ was ​played​ ​up​ ​for​ ​humour,​ ​and​ ​not​ ​because​ ​he​ ​actually disliked​ ​Jeremy.​ ​Not​ ​that​ ​it​ ​mattered​ ​right​ ​now.​ ​Even​ ​if​ ​he​ ​wanted​ ​to,​ ​Allan​ ​couldn’t​ ​take​ ​the​ ​piss​ ​out of​ ​Jeremy.

Katie​ ​grimaced,​ ​taking​ ​note​ ​of​ ​the​ ​time​ ​that​ ​read​ ​on​ ​the​ ​clock​ ​while​ ​she​ ​settled​ ​down​ ​in​ ​an unoccupied​ ​guest​ ​chair​ ​to​ ​wait​ ​out​ ​the​ ​next​ ​few​ ​hours.​ ​She​ ​stared​ ​out​ ​the​ ​window,​ ​gazing​ ​up​ ​at​ ​the cloud​ ​covered​ ​stars,​ ​wondering​ ​if​ ​Allan​ ​was​ ​dreaming​ ​about​ ​them.

“Here’s​ ​to​ ​your​ ​good​ ​dreams,​ ​little​ ​brother.”​ ​She​ ​murmured,​ ​imagining​ ​Allan​ ​dancing​ ​among the​ ​stars​ ​in​ ​his​ ​dreams.​ ​The​ ​thought​ ​made​ ​her​ ​smile​ ​as​ ​she​ ​finally​ ​settled​ ​into​ ​a​ ​comfortable​ ​spot.

*****************

Katie​ ​woke​ ​up,​ ​a​ ​foul​ ​taste​ ​in​ ​her​ ​mouth​ ​and​ ​​ ​bleary​ ​as​ ​she​ ​looked​ ​across​ ​to​ ​the​ ​bedside table,​ ​she​ ​easily​ ​spotted​ ​the​ ​digital​ ​clock​ ​sitting​ ​by​ ​the​ ​bed,​ ​telling​ ​her​ ​that​ ​five​ ​hours​ ​had​ ​passed. Groaning,​ ​she​ ​rubbed​ ​her​ ​eyes​ ​and​ ​sat​ ​up.​ ​She​ ​stretched​ ​out​ ​her​ ​muscles​ ​and​ ​splayed​ ​out​ ​her​ ​fingers in​ ​an​ ​effort​ ​to​ ​increase​ ​her​ ​blood​ ​circulation.​ ​A​ ​hint​ ​of​ ​nausea​ ​hung​ ​about​ ​her,​ ​the​ ​foul​ ​taste​ ​on​ ​her tongue​ ​not​ ​doing​ ​her​ ​any​ ​favours.

Looking​ ​towards​ ​Allan,​ ​she​ ​stopped,​ ​eyes​ ​wide​ ​and​ ​her​ ​mouth​ ​flopping​ ​open.

Allan​ ​Ryder,​ ​a​ ​confused,​ ​sleepy​ ​look​ ​on​ ​his​ ​face,​ ​was​ ​awake.​ ​His​ ​bandages​ ​were​ ​stretched​ ​and contorted​ ​around​ ​his​ ​body,​ ​and​ ​he​ ​looked​ ​terrible,​ ​but​ ​he​ ​was​ ​awake.

“Hrm…..Katie…?​ ​Wha’s​ ​goin’​ ​on?”​ ​He​ ​looked​ ​around,​ ​a​ ​bewildered​ ​expression​ ​taking​ ​over​ ​his features.​ ​“What happened….?​ ​Why​ ​are​ ​we​ ​in​ ​a​ ​hospital?”

Tears​ ​welled​ ​up​ ​in​ ​her​ ​eyes,​ ​and​ ​she​ ​found​ ​herself​ ​moving​ ​before​ ​she​ ​even​ ​knew​ ​why.​ ​She practically​ ​flung​ ​herself​ ​at​ ​him,​ ​wrapping​ ​her​ ​arms​ ​around​ ​him​ ​in​ ​a​ ​great​ ​big,​ ​tear-stained​ ​hug.​ ​“You’re awake!​ ​You’re​ ​awake!”​ ​She​ ​blubbered,​ ​over​ ​and​ ​over,​ ​unable​ ​to​ ​stop.

“Yeah….I’m​ ​awake.​ ​How​ ​long​ ​was​ ​I​ ​asleep​ ​for?”​ ​He​ ​asked.

“What​ ​do​ ​you​ ​mean?”​ ​Her​ ​joy​ ​warped​ ​into​ ​dread.​ ​“Don’t​ ​you​ ​remember​ ​what​ ​happened?”

“Umm…..I’m​ ​gonna​ ​go​ ​with​ ​no……”​ ​Allan​ ​replied,​ ​pushing​ ​her​ ​back​ ​a​ ​little.​ ​“Last​ ​thing​ ​I remember​ ​was​ ​going​ ​to​ ​bed​ ​after​ ​Dad’s​ ​birthday.​ ​We​ ​went​ ​and​ ​saw​ ​that​ ​spy​ ​movie,​ ​um….​ ​Bourne?”

Katie​ ​felt​ ​her​ ​blood​ ​drain.​ ​Their​ ​father’s​ ​birthday​ ​was​ ​only​ ​a​ ​few​ ​weeks​ ​away.​ ​If​ ​the​ ​last​ ​thing Allan​ ​remembered​ ​was​ ​from​ ​their​ ​dad’s​ ​birthday​ ​when​ ​they​ ​went​ ​and​ ​watched​ ​that​ ​movie…

“Katie?​ ​What’s​ ​wrong?”​ ​Allan​ ​asked.​ ​Katie​ ​looked​ ​into​ ​his​ ​eyes,​ ​and​ ​through​ ​her​ ​sadness,​ ​she noticed​ ​something.​ ​Allan​ ​had​ ​always​ ​had​ ​a​ ​mole​ ​on​ ​his​ ​cheek,​ ​under​ ​his​ ​left​ ​eye.

​ ​It​ ​wasn’t​ ​there.

​ ​Allan's​ ​mole,​ ​since​ ​he​ ​had​ ​had​ ​since​ ​birth,​ ​wasn’t​ ​there.

As​ ​if​ ​she​ ​had​ ​a​ ​veil​ ​lifted​ ​from​ ​her​ ​eyes,​ ​she​ ​noticed​ ​another​ ​thing​ ​about​ ​him​ ​that​ ​just​ ​didn’t make​ ​sense.​ ​While​ ​his​ ​face​ ​was​ ​the​ ​same​ ​and​ ​emoted​ ​the​ ​same​ ​way​ ​it​ ​always​ ​had,​ ​his​ ​eyes​ ​had a….distance​ ​to​ ​them.​ ​A​ ​falseness,​ ​as​ ​though​ ​it​ ​was​ ​all​ ​just​ ​an​ ​act.​ ​Katie​ ​felt​ ​her​ ​blood​ ​run​ ​cold. Her tears stopped.

This​ ​wasn’t​ ​Allan.

*****************

Standing​ ​in​ ​the​ ​hospital​ ​window,​ ​Chrysalis​ ​growled​ ​as​ ​the​ ​boy’s​ ​sister​ ​drove​ ​away.​ ​She’d noticed​ ​something,​ ​and​ ​now​ ​Chrysalis’s​ ​plan​ ​was​ ​going​ ​to​ ​have​ ​to​ ​be​ ​dealt​ ​with​ ​very​ ​carefully.​ ​If​ ​the girl​ ​shared​ ​her​ ​doubts​ ​with​ ​others,​ ​then​ ​that​ ​could​ ​spell​ ​disaster​ ​for​ ​the​ ​Queen.

This​ ​half​ ​of​ ​the​ ​hospital​ ​was​ ​more​ ​or​ ​less​ ​hers​ ​now,​ ​but​ ​that​ ​didn’t​ ​mean​ ​that​ ​the​ ​charade​ ​of normalcy​ ​could​ ​come​ ​down.​ ​When​ ​another​ ​Doctor​ ​came​ ​in​ ​Chrysalis​ ​could​ ​tell​ ​immediately​ ​that​ ​it was​ ​one​ ​of​ ​her​ ​new​ ​drones,​ ​their​ ​growth​ ​having​ ​been​ ​sped​ ​up​ ​by​ ​the​ ​phenomenal​ ​amount​ ​of emotional​ ​energy​ ​that​ ​she​ ​had​ ​gathered​ ​for​ ​them.​ ​The​ ​first​ ​batch​ ​had​ ​only​ ​numbered​ ​twelve,​ ​but​ ​it wouldn’t​ ​be​ ​long​ ​now​ ​before​ ​she​ ​could​ ​produce​ ​a​ ​fertile​ ​drone​ ​and​ ​start​ ​an​ ​automated​ ​system, freeing​ ​her​ ​up​ ​to​ ​get​ ​on​ ​with​ ​other​ ​aspects​ ​of​ ​her​ ​plans.

“Report.”​ ​She​ ​snapped.​ ​Breeding​ ​the​ ​drones​ ​the​ ​way​ ​she​ ​had​ ​limited​ ​their​ ​individuality​ ​and independence​ ​somewhat,​ ​but​ ​that​ ​was​ ​for​ ​the​ ​best.​ ​The​ ​drone​ ​responded​ ​in​ ​an​ ​monotonous​ ​voice, it’s​ ​words​ ​perfectly​ ​pronounced​ ​and​ ​without​ ​emotion.

“The​ ​first​ ​batch​ ​seems​ ​to​ ​have​ ​taken​ ​hold​ ​effectively.​ ​The​ ​human​ ​should​ ​start​ ​experience​ ​the effects​ ​in​ ​a​ ​few​ ​more​ ​doses.​ ​The​ ​doses​ ​must​ ​be​ ​administered​ ​separately.​ ​They​ ​must​ ​be​ ​given​ ​a​ ​week between​ ​each​ ​dose,​ ​or​ ​the​ ​subject​ ​may​ ​die.”​ ​The​ ​drone​ ​gave​ ​its​ ​report​ ​without​ ​hesitation.​ ​It​ ​didn’t know​ ​to​ ​be​ ​afraid​ ​of​ ​the​ ​Queen​ ​if​ ​she​ ​received​ ​ill​ ​news.​ ​Thankfully,​ ​this​ ​wasn’t​ ​ill​ ​news​ ​for​ ​her.

“Good.​ ​Allan​ ​and​ ​his​ ​new….friends,”​ ​She​ ​spat​ ​out​ ​the​ ​word.​ ​“Will​ ​be​ ​most​ ​appreciative​ ​of​ ​my little​ ​surprise.”​ ​She​ ​smiled​ ​gleefully,​ ​wickedly.​ ​“What​ ​other​ ​news​ ​do​ ​you​ ​have?”

“The​ ​expansions​ ​to​ ​the​ ​lowest​ ​floor​ ​have​ ​been​ ​finished,​ ​and​ ​the​ ​entrance​ ​is​ ​properly concealed,​ ​as​ ​your​ ​majesty​ ​instructed.”

“Good.​ ​Start​ ​brewing​ ​the​ ​emotion​ ​gels​ ​I​ ​asked​ ​for.​ ​And​ ​make​ ​sure​ ​you​ ​follow​ ​each​ ​recipe correctly.”

“Yes,​ ​your​ ​majesty.”​ ​The​ ​drone​ ​responded,​ ​before​ ​turning​ ​around​ ​and​ ​walking​ ​swiftly​ ​off. Chrysalis​ ​let​ ​herself​ ​relax​ ​a​ ​little.​ ​Other​ ​than​ ​that​ ​annoying​ ​situation​ ​with​ ​the​ ​elder​ ​sister, which​ ​could​ ​be​ ​handled,​ ​if​ ​done​ ​carefully,​ ​the​ ​day​ ​wasn’t​ ​all​ ​that​ ​bad​ ​so​ ​far.

“Doctor​ ​Kim.”​ ​Chrysalis​ ​called.​ ​The​ ​hypnotized​ ​doctor​ ​stood​ ​a​ ​little​ ​straighter,​ ​and​ ​moved closer​ ​to​ ​receive​ ​his​ ​instructions.​ ​“Go​ ​to​ ​the​ ​other​ ​wards,​ ​and​ ​bring​ ​back​ ​a​ ​few​ ​other,​ ​non-controlled staff​ ​members.​ ​Try​ ​to​ ​act​ ​normal.​ ​Make​ ​up​ ​a​ ​believable​ ​excuse​ ​as​ ​to​ ​why​ ​you​ ​need​ ​their​ ​help.​ ​Once they’re​ ​here,​ ​I’ll​ ​do​ ​the​ ​rest.”

“Yes,​ ​my​ ​Queen.”​ ​Doctor​ ​Kim​ ​replied,​ ​then​ ​walked​ ​off,​ ​seeming​ ​to​ ​all​ ​the​ ​world​ ​like​ ​his​ ​usual self.
Chrysalis’s​ ​plans​ ​were​ ​proceeding​ ​swiftly.​ ​All​ ​she​ ​had​ ​to​ ​do​ ​was​ ​figure​ ​out​ ​how​ ​to​ ​keep​ ​the girl’s​ ​mouth​ ​shut.​ ​That​ ​would​ ​normally​ ​be​ ​easy,​ ​but​ ​she’d​ ​be​ ​on​ ​guard​ ​now.​ ​Chrysalis,​ ​still​ ​in​ ​the​ ​form of​ ​Allan,​ ​sat​ ​down​ ​in​ ​her​ ​hospital​ ​bed,​ ​and​ ​pondered.

**********************

Katie​ ​was​ ​quiet.​ ​Normally,​ ​she​ ​would​ ​be​ ​the​ ​one​ ​driving,​ ​but​ ​Jeremy​ ​had​ ​been​ ​forced​ ​to​ ​take the​ ​wheel​ ​when​ ​it​ ​became​ ​obvious​ ​she​ ​wasn’t​ ​feeling​ ​up​ ​to​ ​it.​ ​He​ ​was​ ​definitely​ ​itching​ ​to​ ​ask​ ​her about​ ​it,​ ​but​ ​he​ ​just​ ​couldn’t​ ​seem​ ​to​ ​find​ ​the​ ​right​ ​words.​ ​Not​ ​that​ ​she​ ​wanted​ ​him​ ​to​ ​at​ ​the moment.​ ​She​ ​was​ ​a​ ​little​ ​busy​ ​trying​ ​to​ ​understand​ ​what​ ​she​ ​had​ ​seen.

She​ ​had​ ​seen​ ​a​ ​photo​ ​of​ ​him​ ​from​ ​just​ ​a​ ​few​ ​days​ ​before​ ​the​ ​crash.​ ​His​ ​mole​ ​had​ ​been​ ​there! It​ ​was​ ​only​ ​a​ ​small,​ ​dark​ ​patch​ ​of​ ​skin,​ ​but​ ​it​ ​had​ ​been​ ​there,​ ​clear​ ​as​ ​day!​ ​And​ ​when​ ​she​ ​had​ ​been with​ ​him​ ​in​ ​the​ ​hospital,​ ​it​ ​hadn’t​ ​been!​ ​It​ ​made​ ​no​ ​sense! And​ ​then​ ​there​ ​had​ ​been​ ​that​ ​empty,​ ​emotionless​ ​look​ ​in​ ​his​ ​eyes!​ ​Completely​ ​unnerving!

Her​ ​stomach​ ​rumbled​ ​loudly,​ ​and​ ​her​ ​nausea​ ​from​ ​earlier​ ​returned​ ​with​ ​a​ ​vengeance.​ ​She wanted​ ​to​ ​vomit,​ ​but​ ​found​ ​herself​ ​unable​ ​to​ ​do​ ​so,​ ​which​ ​in​ ​turn​ ​just​ ​made​ ​her​ ​feel​ ​even​ ​worse. With​ ​a​ ​sudden​ ​lurch,​ ​her​ ​stomach​ ​decided​ ​to​ ​open​ ​the​ ​floodgates,​ ​and​ ​only​ ​her​ ​quick reactions​ ​got​ ​her​ ​to​ ​keep​ ​the​ ​car’s​ ​interior​ ​clean.

“Oh,​ ​jeez!”​ ​Jeremy​ ​exclaimed.​ ​“Kathy,​ ​you​ ​okay?​ ​Do​ ​you​ ​need​ ​me​ ​to​ ​pull​ ​into​ ​a​ ​gas​ ​station​ ​or something?”

She​ ​frantically​ ​nodded,​ ​straining​ ​to​ ​keep​ ​herself​ ​from​ ​throwing​ ​up.​ ​Her​ ​whole​ ​body​ ​was, strangely,​ ​tingling.​ ​She​ ​launched​ ​herself​ ​out​ ​of​ ​the​ ​car​ ​and​ ​sprinted​ ​into​ ​the​ ​gas​ ​station​ ​Jeremy​ ​had pulled​ ​the​ ​car​ ​into,​ ​ignoring​ ​the​ ​surprised​ ​cries​ ​of​ ​the​ ​shoppers​ ​and​ ​the​ ​angry​ ​voice​ ​of​ ​the​ ​store​ ​clerk.

She​ ​found​ ​the​ ​bathrooms,​ ​and​ ​made​ ​a​ ​beeline​ ​for​ ​the​ ​toilet​ ​bowl,​ ​flinging​ ​her​ ​hair​ ​away​ ​from​ ​her mouth​ ​and​ ​letting​ ​the​ ​horrid​ ​bile​ ​do​ ​it’s​ ​thing​ ​shutting​ ​her​ ​eyes​ ​and​ ​trying​ ​to​ ​block​ ​out​ ​the​ ​smell​ ​of puke.

It​ ​took​ ​some​ ​time,​ ​but​ ​she​ ​finally​ ​felt​ ​her​ ​nausea​ ​subside,​ ​so​ ​she​ ​wiped​ ​her​ ​mouth​ ​with​ ​the back​ ​of​ ​her​ ​hand,​ ​and​ ​opened​ ​her​ ​eyes​ ​again.

The​ ​gelatinous​ ​mess​ ​in​ ​the​ ​bowl​ ​only​ ​vaguely​ ​resembled​ ​natural​ ​waste,​ ​and​ ​instead​ ​seemed to​ ​be​ ​attempting​ ​to​ ​emulate​ ​car​ ​oil​ ​in​ ​it’s​ ​disgusting,​ ​black​ ​sheen.​ ​Even​ ​as​ ​she​ ​considered​ ​it,​ ​she​ ​felt​ ​a sharp,​ ​stabbing​ ​pain​ ​in​ ​her​ ​head,​ ​making​ ​her​ ​clutch​ ​her​ ​temples​ ​with​ ​her​ ​ha-

Katie​ ​smiled,​ ​washing​ ​her​ ​hands​ ​off​ ​with​ ​the​ ​lovely​ ​hand​ ​soap​ ​that​ ​was​ ​in​ ​the​ ​dispenser​ ​on the​ ​wall.​ ​Whatever​ ​she’d​ ​eaten​ ​must​ ​have​ ​really​ ​disagreed​ ​with​ ​her,​ ​but​ ​she​ ​was​ ​still​ ​more​ ​concerned about​ ​Allan,​ ​and​ ​his​ ​strange​ ​inconsistencies.​ ​She​ ​walked​ ​back​ ​outside,​ ​apologizing​ ​to​ ​the​ ​store​ ​owner and​ ​the​ ​customers​ ​for​ ​making​ ​such​ ​a​ ​ruckus,​ ​and​ ​returned​ ​to​ ​the​ ​car.​ ​She​ ​felt​ ​bizarrely​ ​energetic though,​ ​but​ ​Kate​ ​blamed​ ​it​ ​on​ ​the​ ​relief​ ​of​ ​getting​ ​rid​ ​of​ ​bad​ ​food.

She​ ​sat​ ​back​ ​down​ ​in​ ​the​ ​car,​ ​giving​ ​a​ ​faint​ ​smile​ ​to​ ​Jeremy,​ ​who​ ​she​ ​assured​ ​that​ ​she​ ​was fine,​ ​closed​ ​the​ ​door,​ ​put​ ​on​ ​her​ ​seatbelt,​ ​and​ ​let​ ​out​ ​a​ ​happy​ ​sigh.​ ​“That​ ​feels​ ​so​ ​much​ ​better.”

***************

The​ ​early​ ​morning​ ​sun​ ​of​ ​Canterlot​ ​had​ ​crested​ ​over​ ​the​ ​mountains​ ​that​ ​morning​ ​with​ ​a shimmering​ ​hue​ ​of​ ​golds,​ ​yellows,​ ​oranges​ ​and​ ​reds,​ ​which​ ​would​ ​soon​ ​make​ ​way​ ​for​ ​the​ ​great​ ​blue of​ ​the​ ​oxygen​ ​rich​ ​skies.

The​ ​rays​ ​of​ ​light​ ​were​ ​towers​ ​of​ ​gold​ ​that​ ​challenged​ ​the​ ​majesty​ ​of​ ​the​ ​city​ ​they​ ​warmed, and​ ​invited​ ​those​ ​who​ ​were​ ​already​ ​awake​ ​to​ ​come​ ​and​ ​marvel​ ​in​ ​their​ ​spectacle.​ ​The​ ​weather patrols​ ​had​ ​put​ ​a​ ​few​ ​clouds​ ​in​ ​place,​ ​but​ ​the​ ​sky​ ​was​ ​bright​ ​and​ ​clear​ ​for​ ​the​ ​most​ ​part,​ ​something that​ ​Princess​ ​Celestia​ ​was​ ​quite​ ​proud​ ​of.

The​ ​great​ ​Alicorn​ ​of​ ​the​ ​Sun​ ​was​ ​always​ ​happy​ ​at​ ​precisely​ ​two​ ​times​ ​of​ ​day.​ ​At​ ​dawn,​ ​when she​ ​rose​ ​the​ ​sun,​ ​and​ ​during​ ​the​ ​twilight​ ​hours​ ​of​ ​the​ ​day,​ ​when​ ​she​ ​could​ ​set​ ​it,​ ​and​ ​spend​ ​a​ ​little time​ ​with​ ​Luna​ ​before​ ​the​ ​Solar​ ​diarch​ ​retired​ ​to​ ​her​ ​chambers​ ​for​ ​a​ ​good​ ​night’s​ ​rest.​ ​The importance​ ​of​ ​the​ ​rest​ ​of​ ​her​ ​schedule​ ​was​ ​all​ ​determined​ ​by​ ​what​ ​Raven,​ ​her​ ​first​ ​and​ ​foremost assistant,​ ​deemed​ ​was​ ​most​ ​important​ ​each​ ​day.​ ​There​ ​was​ ​very​ ​little​ ​the​ ​Solar​ ​Princess​ ​could​ ​do​ ​to
Change​ ​it​ ​that​ ​didn’t​ ​involve​ ​a​ ​massive​ ​catastrophe,​ ​or​ ​the​ ​biggest​ ​misuse​ ​of​ ​power​ ​in​ ​existence.

“Princess?​ ​May​ ​I​ ​come​ ​in?”​ ​The​ ​voice​ ​of​ ​Raven​ ​drifted​ ​in​ ​through​ ​the​ ​door.

“Yes​ ​Raven.”​ ​Celestia​ ​said,​ ​putting​ ​on​ ​her​ ​pubic​ ​‘smile’​ ​face.​ ​While​ ​with​ ​Luna​ ​and​ ​the​ ​other leaders​ ​of​ ​Equestria​ ​she​ ​could​ ​relax​ ​a​ ​little,​ ​the​ ​Equestrian​ ​public​ ​still​ ​required​ ​her​ ​best​ ​efforts.​ ​“You may​ ​enter.”

The​ ​pony​ ​who​ ​entered​ ​was​ ​a​ ​white​ ​coated​ ​unicorn​ ​with​ ​a​ ​dark​ ​brown​ ​mane,​ ​done​ ​up​ ​in​ ​a simple​ ​bun​ ​that​ ​kept​ ​it​ ​out​ ​of​ ​her​ ​eyes.​ ​She​ ​wore​ ​a​ ​short,​ ​red,​ ​ruffled​ ​cravat,​ ​and​ ​a​ ​pair​ ​of​ ​simple​ ​but stylish​ ​glasses.​ ​Grasped​ ​in​ ​her​ ​magic​ ​was​ ​a​ ​clipboard,​ ​which​ ​was​ ​close​ ​to​ ​full​ ​capacity.

“Good​ ​morning,​ ​Princess.”​ ​The​ ​unicorn​ ​greeted,​ ​bowing​ ​respectfully,​ ​but​ ​keeping​ ​it​ ​brief.

“Good​ ​morning,​ ​Raven.”​ ​The​ ​Princess​ ​returned​ ​the​ ​greeting.​ ​“So,​ ​what’s​ ​first​ ​on​ ​the​ ​agenda today?”

“Well,”​ ​Raven​ ​started.​ ​“There​ ​is​ ​a​ ​scheduled​ ​meeting​ ​with​ ​the​ ​Canterlot​ ​Lords​ ​to​ ​discuss taxes​ ​on​ ​their​ ​businesses​ ​at​ ​eight,​ ​followed​ ​by​ ​a​ ​public​ ​appearance​ ​for​ ​the​ ​opening​ ​of​ ​a​ ​new​ ​park​ ​in the​ ​lower​ ​city,​ ​a​ ​store​ ​opening​ ​on​ ​Mane​ ​St,​ ​and​ ​a​ ​new​ ​ward​ ​is​ ​opening​ ​in​ ​the​ ​hospital.​ ​Those​ ​are taking​ ​place​ ​at​ ​ten​ ​o’clock,​ ​eleven​ ​o’clock,​ ​and​ ​twelve​ ​thirty.”

“Those​ ​all​ ​sound​ ​wonderful.”​ ​Celestia​ ​intoned,​ ​inwardly​ ​sighing.​ ​“What​ ​else​ ​is​ ​there?”

“Princess​ ​Cadence​ ​has​ ​requested​ ​your​ ​expertise​ ​to​ ​assist​ ​in​ ​dealing​ ​with​ ​a​ ​trade​ ​dispute between​ ​the​ ​Crystal​ ​Empire​ ​and​ ​Zebrica.​ ​The​ ​meeting​ ​is​ ​scheduled​ ​for​ ​four.”

“Joy.”​ ​Celestia​ ​couldn’t​ ​help​ ​her​ ​flat,​ ​emotionless​ ​reply.​ ​“And​ ​what​ ​sort​ ​of​ ​paperwork​ ​is waiting​ ​for​ ​me?”

“Thankfully,​ ​not​ ​much​ ​today,​ ​Princess.​ ​Just​ ​a​ ​few​ ​issues​ ​that​ ​need​ ​to​ ​be​ ​resolved​ ​with​ ​an agreement​ ​or​ ​disagreement.”

Well,​ ​there​ ​was​ ​an​ ​upside.​ ​“And​ ​what​ ​of​ ​the​ ​day​ ​court?”

“Also​ ​quite​ ​small.”

Beautiful.​ ​Not​ ​such​ ​a​ ​bad​ ​day​ ​after​ ​all.​ ​“Oh,​ ​Raven,​ ​please​ ​remind​ ​me​ ​to​ ​organize​ ​a​ ​new​ ​gala ticket​ ​for​ ​a​ ​certain​ ​guest​ ​of​ ​ours.​ ​I’m​ ​quite​ ​interested​ ​to​ ​see​ ​how​ ​he’ll​ ​do.”

“The….Changeling?”​ ​Raven​ ​asked,​ ​not​ ​sounding​ ​very​ ​happy​ ​with​ ​the​ ​idea.​ ​“Are​ ​you​ ​sure that’s​ ​a​ ​good​ ​idea​ ​after​ ​the​ ​wedding?”

“It’s​ ​been​ ​years​ ​already.”​ ​Celestia​ ​replied,​ ​a​ ​tiny,​ ​weenie​ ​bit​ ​more​ ​icily​ ​than​ ​she​ ​would​ ​have liked,​ ​not​ ​that​ ​it​ ​was​ ​noticeable​ ​to​ ​any​ ​but​ ​Luna,​ ​or​ ​perhaps​ ​Cadence​ ​and​ ​Twilight.​ ​“It’s​ ​time​ ​for​ ​the elite​ ​to​ ​get​ ​over​ ​it.​ ​They​ ​weren’t​ ​the​ ​ones​ ​hanging​ ​upside​ ​down​ ​in​ ​a​ ​cocoon.”

Raven​ ​said​ ​nothing.​ ​Even​ ​she​ ​knew​ ​that​ ​Celestia​ ​found​ ​the​ ​nobles​ ​incessant​ ​worship​ ​and plot-kissing​ ​to​ ​be​ ​more​ ​than​ ​a​ ​minor​ ​irritant.​ ​There​ ​were​ ​standouts​ ​who​ ​were​ ​better​ ​than​ ​the​ ​others; such​ ​as​ ​Fancy​ ​Pants,​ ​and​ ​the​ ​Ponyville​ ​raised​ ​Rarity,​ ​both​ ​of​ ​whom​ ​had​ ​gotten​ ​more​ ​comfortable​ ​with the​ ​Princess,​ ​and​ ​thus​ ​had​ ​a​ ​better​ ​understanding​ ​of​ ​her,​ ​but​ ​for​ ​the​ ​most​ ​part,​ ​the​ ​nobles​ ​were​ ​a bunch​ ​of​ ​spineless,​ ​hoity-toity,​ ​moronic​ ​windbags,​ ​(Those​ ​were​ ​Celestia’s​ ​actual​ ​words​ ​on​ ​the
Matter.),​ ​who​ ​loved​ ​to​ ​hear​ ​their​ ​overly​ ​pampered​ ​tongues​ ​wag. “I​ ​want​ ​to​ ​soften​ ​the​ ​impact​ ​of​ ​Thorax​ ​and​ ​the​ ​other​ ​changeling’s.​ ​Allan​ ​is​ ​my​ ​best​ ​shot​ ​at doing​ ​that.”

Raven​ ​found​ ​herself​ ​questioning​ ​the​ ​Princess’s​ ​judgement.​ ​“Um,​ ​your​ ​highness…”

The​ ​Princess​ ​turned​ ​around,​ ​looking​ ​visibly​ ​concerned.​ ​“What​ ​is​ ​it,​ ​Raven?”

“It’s​ ​just….​ ​I’m​ ​not​ ​sure​ ​that​ ​inviting​ ​him​ ​is​ ​the​ ​best​ ​idea,​ ​even​ ​if​ ​it’s​ ​morally​ ​right.​ ​The​ ​nobles don’t​ ​trust​ ​changelings​ ​at​ ​all.​ ​All​ ​they​ ​think​ ​they​ ​are​ ​is​ ​a​ ​bunch​ ​of​ ​monsters​ ​that​ ​attacked​ ​their​ ​city. And​ ​you​ ​just​ ​inviting​ ​one​ ​in​ ​and​ ​saying​ ​they’re​ ​good​ ​now?​ ​Ponies​ ​will​ ​think​ ​you’re​ ​under​ ​their​ ​spell. Paranoia​ ​has​ ​been​ ​festering​ ​in​ ​them​ ​for​ ​too​ ​long,​ ​your​ ​majesty!​ ​It’s​ ​just​ ​too​ ​dangerous.”

Celestia​ ​did​ ​not​ ​immediately​ ​respond.​ ​Raven​ ​had​ ​raised​ ​some​ ​excellent​ ​points. “The​ ​gala​ ​isn’t​ ​for​ ​a​ ​few​ ​weeks​ ​yet.​ ​We’ll​ ​have​ ​to​ ​set​ ​up​ ​a​ ​new​ ​security​ ​system​ ​that​ ​detects changelings​ ​upon​ ​arrival.​ ​Combining​ ​a​ ​detection​ ​spell​ ​with​ ​a​ ​barrier​ ​or​ ​shield​ ​spell​ ​shouldn’t​ ​be​ ​too hard.”

Raven​ ​didn’t​ ​want​ ​to​ ​object,​ ​even​ ​though​ ​she​ ​had​ ​something​ ​to​ ​say.​ ​It​ ​just​ ​didn’t​ ​solve​ ​the problem.​ ​“O-of​ ​course,​ ​Princess.​ ​I’ll​ ​see​ ​to​ ​it​ ​personally.”

“Good.​ ​I​ ​look​ ​forward​ ​to​ ​seeing​ ​Allan​ ​at​ ​the​ ​Gala.​ ​I’m​ ​sure​ ​that​ ​Rarity​ ​will​ ​make​ ​him​ ​look​ ​like a​ ​star.”

Raven​ ​kept​ ​quiet​ ​as​ ​she​ ​left​ ​the​ ​Princess’s​ ​quarters,​ ​check​ ​board​ ​in​ ​hoof,​ ​little,​ ​doubtful thoughts​ ​worming​ ​through​ ​her​ ​head.

*******************

PreviousChapters Next