• Published 8th Dec 2016
  • 6,652 Views, 351 Comments

Of Men and Insects - VeganSpyro97



Chrysalis has lost. The Changelings have a new leader, and all is right with the world.... Or, it was.

  • ...
31
 351
 6,652

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 11: Chaotic Shenanigans

​Allan​ ​woke​ ​with​ ​a​ ​yawn.​ ​Day​ ​four​ ​of​ ​week​ ​two.​ ​Not​ ​much​ ​had​ ​happened​ ​since​ ​the​ ​night​ ​of the​ ​party,​ ​and​ ​because​ ​of​ ​that,​ ​Alan's​ ​thoughts​ ​lingered​ ​on​ ​something. For​ ​once,​ ​it​ ​wasn’t​ ​his​ ​family,​ ​or​ ​even​ ​going​ ​home.​ ​It​ ​was​ ​her.​ ​Her​ ​voice​ ​as​ ​she​ ​sang​ ​both​ ​of those​ ​songs​ ​echoed​ ​through​ ​his​ ​mind,​ ​and​ ​he​ ​felt​ ​so​ ​happy​ ​to​ ​hear​ ​it,​ ​instead​ ​of​ ​the​ ​multitude​ ​of worried​ ​voices​ ​that​ ​had​ ​constantly​ ​and​ ​incessantly​ ​been​ ​reminding​ ​him​ ​of​ ​the​ ​danger​ ​his​ ​family​ ​was in.

He​ ​hopped​ ​out​ ​of​ ​bed,​ ​hooves​ ​barely​ ​touching​ ​the​ ​floor​ ​as​ ​his​ ​wings​ ​buzzed,​ ​lifting​ ​him gently​ ​up​ ​as​ ​he​ ​trotted​ ​easily​ ​over​ ​to​ ​the​ ​door,​ ​and​ ​down​ ​the​ ​corridor​ ​to​ ​the​ ​stairs,​ ​through​ ​the lounge​ ​and​ ​then​ ​into​ ​the​ ​kitchen.​ ​He​ ​quickly​ ​fetched​ ​a​ ​glass​ ​with​ ​his​ ​magic,​ ​then​ ​quickly​ ​filled​ ​it​ ​from the​ ​kitchen​ ​faucet.

Turning​ ​back​ ​to​ ​the​ ​kitchen​ ​table,​ ​Allan​ ​spotted​ ​a​ ​bowl​ ​of​ ​multi-coloured​ ​cookies​ ​that​ ​hadn’t been​ ​there​ ​before.​ ​Curious,​ ​he​ ​trotted​ ​forward​ ​and​ ​sniffed​ ​them,​ ​but​ ​jumped​ ​back​ ​with​ ​a​ ​startled yelp when​ ​one​ ​of​ ​the​ ​cookies​ ​actually​ ​floated​ ​up,​ ​in​ ​an​ ​effort​ ​to​ ​meet​ ​his​ ​nose.​ ​When​ ​he​ ​moved​ ​back, however,​ ​it​ ​dropped​ ​back​ ​down​ ​onto​ ​the​ ​bowl.

Looking​ ​around​ ​for​ ​Flutters,​ ​Allan​ ​realized​ ​that​ ​if​ ​she​ ​was​ ​around,​ ​then​ ​she​ ​probably​ ​wasn’t even​ ​on​ ​the​ ​same​ ​floor,​ ​which​ ​left​ ​him​ ​to​ ​consider​ ​what​ ​the​ ​cookie’s​ ​were​ ​doing​ ​there.​ ​Stepping​ ​back towards​ ​the​ ​ceramic​ ​bowl,​ ​Allan​ ​noticed​ ​a​ ​curious​ ​flower​ ​on​ ​the​ ​side.​ ​It​ ​had​ ​blue​ ​petals,​ ​with exposed​ ​filaments​ ​and​ ​stamen.

The​ ​cookies​ ​themselves​ ​were​ ​a​ ​variety​ ​of​ ​colour,​ ​some​ ​of​ ​them​ ​yellow,​ ​with​ ​red​ ​chocolate chunks,​ ​other​ ​blue​ ​with​ ​purple​ ​or​ ​yellow​ ​chunks.​ ​There​ ​were​ ​other​ ​colours,​ ​but​ ​Allan​ ​was​ ​already disinterested​ ​in​ ​that.

Lifting​ ​one​ ​up​ ​in​ ​his​ ​magical​ ​gríp,​ ​he​ ​gave​ ​it​ ​an​ ​experimental​ ​sniff.​ ​It​ ​certainly​ ​smelled​ ​like​ ​one would​ ​expect​ ​a​ ​cookie​ ​to,​ ​but​ ​Allan​ ​was​ ​still​ ​unsure.​ ​Putting​ ​it​ ​back​ ​down​ ​once​ ​more,​ ​he​ ​gave​ ​them​ ​a wide​ ​berth,​ ​moving​ ​over​ ​to​ ​the​ ​refrigerator.​ ​Opening​ ​it,​ ​Allan​ ​was​ ​quite​ ​happy​ ​to​ ​see​ ​that​ ​Fluttershy had​ ​left​ ​him​ ​a​ ​note,​ ​complete​ ​with​ ​a​ ​smiling​ ​drawing​ ​of​ ​her​ ​face,​ ​telling​ ​him​ ​that​ ​the​ ​daisy sandwiches​ ​in​ ​the​ ​fridge​ ​were​ ​his.

He​ ​picked​ ​them​ ​up,​ ​turned​ ​around,​ ​and​ ​trotted​ ​back​ ​out​ ​to​ ​the​ ​lounge​ ​to​ ​eat.​ ​Deciding​ ​to check​ ​the​ ​mailbox​ ​before​ ​he​ ​got​ ​started,​ ​Allan​ ​found​ ​several​ ​letters​ ​and​ ​fliers​ ​addressed​ ​to​ ​Fluttershy, and,​ ​surprisingly,​ ​two​ ​for​ ​him.

Going​ ​back​ ​to​ ​the​ ​lounge​ ​to​ ​eat​ ​his​ ​sandwiches​ ​as​ ​he​ ​opened​ ​and​ ​began​ ​to​ ​read​ ​his​ ​two letters​ ​after​ ​depositing​ ​Fluttershy’s​ ​on​ ​the​ ​small​ ​coffee​ ​table​ ​in​ ​front​ ​of​ ​her​ ​couch.​ ​Speaking​ ​aloud, Allan​ ​opened​ ​and​ ​read​ ​the​ ​first.

“To​ ​Allan,

From​ ​his​ ​Royal​ ​Majesty,​ ​King​ ​Thorax​ ​of​ ​the​ ​Changelings.

Hello,​ ​Allan.

Sorry​ ​about​ ​the​ ​pompous​ ​sounding​ ​title,​ ​I’m​ ​not​ ​used​ ​to​ ​it​ ​myself,​ ​but​ ​my​ ​closest​ ​advisors insist​ ​that​ ​I​ ​use​ ​it.​ ​I​ ​know​ ​I​ ​haven’t​ ​checked​ ​up​ ​on​ ​you​ ​properly​ ​until​ ​now,​ ​but​ ​I​ ​know​ ​you​ ​are​ ​in​ ​good hooves​ ​with​ ​Princess​ ​Twilight​ ​and​ ​her​ ​friends.​ ​Doesn’t​ ​mean​ ​I​ ​don’t​ ​want​ ​to​ ​hear​ ​from​ ​you.​ ​Me​ ​and Twilight​ ​have​ ​been​ ​exchanging​ ​letters​ ​and​ ​notes​ ​on​ ​portal​ ​magics​ ​to​ ​try​ ​and​ ​figure​ ​out​ ​how​ ​to​ ​get you​ ​home,​ ​though​ ​she​ ​never​ ​says​ ​much​ ​about​ ​you​ ​personally,​ ​just​ ​that​ ​you’re​ ​doing​ ​okay. I​ ​know​ ​we​ ​barely​ ​know​ ​each​ ​other,​ ​but​ ​I​ ​do​ ​feel​ ​responsible​ ​for​ ​you​ ​being​ ​here.
Oh,​ ​and​ ​I​ ​thought​ ​you’d​ ​like​ ​to​ ​know.​ ​That​ ​green​ ​goop​ ​Twilight​ ​told​ ​me​ ​you​ ​threw​ ​up?​ ​It’s changeling​ ​resin.​ ​It​ ​can​ ​be​ ​used​ ​to​ ​store​ ​emotional​ ​energy,​ ​or​ ​be​ ​used​ ​as​ ​building​ ​materials.​ ​I’ll​ ​send you​ ​a​ ​list​ ​of​ ​uses​ ​and​ ​states​ ​the​ ​resin​ ​can​ ​take​ ​when​ ​used​ ​right.

Shapeshifting​ ​should​ ​be​ ​relatively​ ​easy.​ ​It​ ​comes​ ​naturally​ ​to​ ​all​ ​Changeling​ ​nymphs​ ​at​ ​young age,​ ​and​ ​they​ ​are​ ​usually​ ​profîcient​ ​in​ ​a​ ​matter​ ​of​ ​days.​ ​Being​ ​an​ ​adult,​ ​you’ll​ ​probably​ ​figure​ ​it​ ​out quickly,​ ​if​ ​you​ ​haven’t​ ​already. So…​ ​here’s​ ​what​ ​I​ ​really​ ​wanted​ ​to​ ​talk​ ​to​ ​you​ ​about:​ The​ ​Hivemind.​ ​Sooner​ ​or​ ​later,​ ​you’ll connect​ ​with​ ​it,​ ​so​ ​I​ ​thought​ ​it​ ​fair​ ​to​ ​warn​ ​you​ ​that​ ​the​ ​first​ ​time​ ​anything​ ​connects​ ​with​ ​the Hivemind,​ ​it​ ​is​ ​very​ ​disorientating.​ ​Unlike​ ​Chrysalis,​ ​I​ ​have​ ​decided​ ​that​ ​the​ ​knowledge​ ​contained​ ​in the​ ​Hivemind​ ​is​ ​free​ ​to​ ​use​ ​by​ ​all,​ ​meaning​ ​that​ ​any​ ​changeling​ ​in​ ​the​ ​hive​ ​can​ ​freely​ ​access​ ​any​ ​and all​ ​information​ ​the​ ​hive​ ​has​ ​acquired,​ ​including​ ​the​ ​memories​ ​and​ ​skills​ ​of​ ​other​ ​changeling​ ​in​ ​times of​ ​need.​ ​I​ ​myself,​ ​alongside​ ​some​ ​of​ ​my​ ​more​ ​intelligent​ ​subjects,​ ​have​ ​been​ ​searching​ ​the​ ​hivemind for​ ​any​ ​information​ ​on​ ​the​ ​portal​ ​to​ ​your​ ​world​ ​that​ ​the​ ​Hive​ ​may​ ​have​ ​overlooked​ ​in​ ​the​ ​past,​ ​but​ ​so far,​ ​nothing.

I​ ​hope​ ​what​ ​I​ ​have​ ​said​ ​is​ ​of​ ​some​ ​use,​ ​and​ ​that​ ​you​ ​are​ ​doing​ ​well.​ ​Please,​ ​feel​ ​free​ ​to​ ​send me​ ​any​ ​questions​ ​or​ ​problems​ ​you​ ​may​ ​have.​ ​I​ ​hope​ ​to​ ​hear​ ​back​ ​from​ ​you,​ ​and​ ​hope​ ​that​ ​you​ ​will consider​ ​me​ ​a​ ​friend.

Yours​ ​sincerely,

King​ ​Thorax.”

Allan​ ​smiled​ ​at​ ​the​ ​concern​ ​the​ ​King​ ​was​ ​displaying,​ ​and​ ​he​ ​definitely​ ​appreciated​ ​the information​ ​and​ ​the​ ​warning.​ ​A​ ​hivemind,​ ​huh?​ ​That​ ​sounded….​ ​Bizarre,​ ​but​ ​at​ ​least​ ​he​ ​wouldn’t have​ ​to​ ​be​ ​alone,​ ​once​ ​he​ ​made​ ​the​ ​“connection”.

Promising​ ​to​ ​himself​ ​to​ ​write​ ​back,​ ​Allan​ ​munched​ ​on​ ​his​ ​sandwich,​ ​(which​ ​was​ ​surprisingly nice,​ ​for​ ​being​ ​made​ ​of​ ​flowers!)​ ​and​ ​opened​ ​the​ ​next​ ​letter.​ ​This​ ​one​ ​was​ ​more​ ​of​ ​a​ ​scroll,​ ​and​ ​bore an​ ​officious​ ​looking​ ​seal,​ ​making​ ​the​ ​changeling​ ​feel​ ​a​ ​little​ ​nervous.

The​ ​paper​ ​unfolded,​ ​revealing​ ​the​ ​lettering​ ​within.​ ​If​ ​the​ ​title​ ​of​ ​“King​ ​of​ ​the​ ​Changelings” had​ ​seemed​ ​pompous,​ ​then​ ​what​ ​was​ ​scrawled​ ​onto​ ​this​ ​page​ ​was​ ​far​ ​more​ ​so.

“To​ ​the​ ​Changeling,​ ​Allan,

From​ ​her​ ​Royal​ ​Majesty​ ​Celestia​ ​Dawnbringer,​ ​Solar​ ​Diarch​ ​of​ ​Equestria,​ ​and​ ​the​ ​Herald​ ​of the​ ​Sun.

Allan,

You​ ​are​ ​hereby​ ​summoned​ ​to​ ​the​ ​royal​ ​court​ ​of​ ​Equestria​ ​for​ ​an​ ​audience,​ ​by​ ​request​ ​of Princesses​ ​Celestia​ ​and​ ​Luna.​ ​Present​ ​yourself​ ​before​ ​the​ ​castle​ ​doors​ ​at​ ​Four​ ​o’clock,​ ​in​ ​two​ ​days time.

We​ ​look​ ​forward​ ​to​ ​meeting​ ​you​ ​in​ ​person.”

The​ ​Royal​ ​Sisters.”

Allan​ ​looked​ ​at​ ​the​ ​note,​ ​then​ ​up​ ​at​ ​the​ ​lounge​ ​wall,​ ​then​ ​back​ ​at​ ​the​ ​letter.

“Oh​ ​crap…”

*****************

“So​ ​Princess​ ​Celestia​ ​wants​ ​to​ ​meet​ ​you.​ ​What’s​ ​the​ ​problem?”​ ​​ ​Rarity​ ​asked.​ ​“Meeting​ ​the Princess​ ​is​ ​an​ ​honour!”

Allan​ ​grumbled​ ​his​ ​reply​ ​as​ ​the​ ​fashion​ ​mare​ ​took​ ​more​ ​measurements.​ ​She’d​ ​been​ ​at​ ​it​ ​for twelve​ ​minutes,​ ​carefully​ ​plotting​ ​out​ ​the​ ​measurements​ ​for​ ​the​ ​changeling​ ​stallion.​ ​The​ ​moment​ ​he had​ ​informed​ ​her​ ​of​ ​the​ ​Princesses​ ​letter,​ ​she​ ​had​ ​pulled​ ​him​ ​into​ ​the​ ​boutique’s​ ​main​ ​fitting​ ​room and​ ​started​ ​measuring​ ​him​ ​for​ ​a​ ​suit.​ ​“You​ ​aren’t​ ​going​ ​before​ ​the​ ​Princesses​ ​without​ ​a​ ​proper​ ​suit, darling,​ ​I​ ​just​ ​won’t​ ​allow​ ​it!”

So​ ​here​ ​he​ ​was,​ ​listening​ ​as​ ​Rarity​ ​sang​ ​Celestia’s​ ​praises​ ​(Allan​ ​felt​ ​a​ ​little​ ​put​ ​out​ ​that​ ​she was​ ​not​ ​doing​ ​the​ ​same​ ​for​ ​Luna.)​ ​and​ ​seemed​ ​oblivious​ ​to​ ​the​ ​fact​ ​that​ ​Allan​ ​wasn’t​ ​worried​ ​about Celestia’s​ ​side​ ​of​ ​the​ ​issue.​ ​While​ ​he​ ​appreciated​ ​Rarity’s​ ​attempts​ ​to​ ​calm​ ​his​ ​fears,​ ​she​ ​wasn’t​ ​doing a​ ​very​ ​good​ ​job.

“It’s​ ​not​ ​the​ ​Princess​ ​I’m​ ​worried​ ​about…”​ ​Allan​ ​said,​ ​lifting​ ​up​ ​his​ ​leg​ ​so​ ​that​ ​Rarity​ ​could​ ​do her​ ​work.​ ​To​ ​be​ ​honest,​ ​the​ ​reason​ ​it​ ​was​ ​taking​ ​so​ ​long​ ​was​ ​less​ ​to​ ​do​ ​with​ ​Allan​ ​being​ ​a​ ​poor model,​ ​and​ ​more​ ​to​ ​do​ ​with​ ​Rarity​ ​being​ ​too​ ​excited​ ​to​ ​have​ ​Allan​ ​meet​ ​with​ ​the​ ​Princesses​ ​in​ ​one​ ​of her​ ​suits.​ ​Pride​ ​in​ ​her​ ​work​ ​aside,​ ​Rarity​ ​was​ ​far​ ​too​ ​chatty​ ​to​ ​actually​ ​remember​ ​half​ ​of​ ​the measurements​ ​long​ ​enough​ ​for​ ​her​ ​to​ ​write​ ​them​ ​down.

The​ ​mare​ ​took​ ​her​ ​sweet​ ​time​ ​working,​ ​instead​ ​trying​ ​to​ ​pry​ ​more​ ​information​ ​about​ ​the invitation​ ​out​ ​of​ ​him,​ ​information​ ​that​ ​the​ ​poor​ ​stallion​ ​simply​ ​didn’t​ ​have.​ ​When​ ​she​ ​was​ ​finally done,​ ​she​ ​dashed​ ​straight​ ​up​ ​to​ ​her​ ​workshop,​ ​determined​ ​to​ ​have​ ​a​ ​new​ ​ensemble​ ​for​ ​him​ ​by​ ​the time​ ​he​ ​was​ ​due​ ​to​ ​visit​ ​Canterlot.

Of​ ​course,​ ​this​ ​left​ ​Allan,​ ​wearing​ ​his​ ​cloak​ ​as​ ​usual,​ ​to​ ​his​ ​own​ ​devices.​ ​Not​ ​that​ ​he​ ​had much​ ​he​ ​wanted​ ​to​ ​do.It​ ​was​ ​either​ ​study,​ ​or​ ​work​ ​at​ ​Sweet​ ​Apple​ ​Acres.​ ​Either​ ​one​ ​didn’t​ ​really appeal​ ​to​ ​him,​ ​so​ ​he​ ​instead​ ​opted​ ​to​ ​go​ ​home.​ ​Well,​ ​what​ ​he​ ​called​ ​home,​ ​for​ ​now.

The​ ​trot​ ​back​ ​was​ ​easy,​ ​and​ ​he​ ​even​ ​stopped​ ​along​ ​the​ ​way​ ​to​ ​talk​ ​to​ ​Lyra​ ​and​ ​Bon​ ​Bon,​ ​the latter​ ​of​ ​which​ ​seemed​ ​a​ ​bit…​ ​reserved​ ​around​ ​him,​ ​but​ ​Lyra​ ​told​ ​him​ ​the​ ​mare​ ​was​ ​simply​ ​having​ ​a rough​ ​morning.

Arriving​ ​at​ ​the​ ​cottage,​ ​Allan​ ​noticed​ ​the​ ​door​ ​was​ ​open.​ ​Strange...​ ​Fluttershy​ ​never​ ​left​ ​it open.

Walking​ ​inside,​ ​Allan​ ​immediately​ ​noticed​ ​the​ ​house​ ​guest​ ​sitting​ ​on​ ​the​ ​couch,​ ​a​ ​familiar bowl​ ​of​ ​cookies​ ​in​ ​front​ ​of​ ​her.

“Oh…​ ​Hi,​ ​Dash.”​ ​The​ ​pegasus​ ​nearly​ ​spat​ ​her​ ​cookie​ ​out​ ​in​ ​surprise​ ​and​ ​quickly​ ​dropped​ ​what was​ ​left​ ​onto​ ​the​ ​table.​ ​“What​ ​are​ ​you​ ​doing​ ​here?”

Rainbow​ ​coughed,​ ​dislodging​ ​the​ ​last​ ​of​ ​the​ ​cookie​ ​bits​ ​from​ ​her​ ​throat,​ ​and​ ​making​ ​a​ ​mess on​ ​the​ ​floor.​ ​“Oh​ ​*cough*,​ ​Allan!”​ ​She​ ​vaulted​ ​off​ ​of​ ​the​ ​couch​ ​and​ ​over​ ​the​ ​table,​ ​landing​ ​in​ ​front​ ​of him.​ ​“I-uh,​ ​came​ ​to​ ​see​ ​you.​ ​I-thought​ ​you​ ​might​ ​like​ ​another​ ​flying​ ​lesson!”

Allan​ ​raised​ ​his​ ​eyebrow.​ ​“I​ ​thought​ ​you​ ​said​ ​I​ ​was​ ​terrible?”

Rainbow​ ​panicked​ ​a​ ​little,​ ​waving​ ​her​ ​hooves​ ​around​ ​in​ ​an​ ​attempt​ ​to​ ​wave​ ​away​ ​Alan's question.​ ​“No,​ ​no!​ ​You’re​ ​not​ ​bad,​ ​just…​ ​learning!”​ ​ Rainbow​ ​looked​ ​around​ ​to​ ​make​ ​sure​ ​they​ ​were alone,​ ​before​ ​whispering​ ​to​ ​him.​ ​“Even​ ​I​ ​was​ ​that​ ​bad,​ ​when​ ​I​ ​was​ ​little.”

Although​ ​it​ ​​ ​was​ ​a​ ​given​ ​that​ ​no​ ​one​ ​is​ ​ever​ ​fantastic​ ​at​ ​anything​ ​on​ ​the​ ​first​ ​try,​ ​Allan pretended​ ​that​ ​he​ ​was​ ​shocked.​ ​“Really?​ ​You?”

“Really,​ ​really.”​ ​Rainbow​ ​acknowledged.​ ​“I….I’m​ ​sorry​ ​I​ ​laughed​ ​at​ ​you.”​ ​She​ ​paused,​ ​taking​ ​a deep​ ​breath,​ ​and​ ​building​ ​up​ ​the​ ​courage​ ​to​ ​say​ ​what​ ​needed​ ​to​ ​be​ ​said.​ ​“I​ ​also​ ​have​ ​to​ ​apologize​ ​for something​ ​else…​ ​I​ ​misjudged​ ​you.”​ ​She​ ​hanged​ ​her​ ​head​ ​in​ ​shame.​ ​I​ ​forgot​ ​one​ ​of​ ​the​ ​first​ ​friendship lessons​ ​anypony​ ​learns.​ ​Don’t​ ​judge​ ​anypony​ ​by​ ​what​ ​they​ ​look​ ​like.​ ​I​ ​did,​ ​and​ ​I​ ​was​ ​wrong.​ ​You might​ ​be​ ​a​ ​changeling,​ ​but​ ​so​ ​far,​ ​you​ ​seem​ ​pretty​ ​chill.​ ​I….I’m​ ​not​ ​saying​ ​we’re​ ​friends…​ ​but,​ ​would you​ ​at​ ​least​ ​give​ ​me​ ​a​ ​chance​ ​to​ ​try?”

Allan​ ​didn’t​ ​have​ ​to​ ​think​ ​twice.​ ​Stepping​ ​forward,​ ​he​ ​reached​ ​up​ ​a​ ​hoof,​ ​and​ ​put​ ​it​ ​on Rainbow​ ​shoulder.​ ​“Of​ ​course​ ​I​ ​will.”

Rainbow​ ​‘s​ ​relieved​ ​smile​ ​made​ ​Alan's​ ​day,​ ​but​ ​all​ ​of​ ​a​ ​sudden,​ ​her​ ​face​ ​turned​ ​green,​ ​and she​ ​quickly​ ​clapped​ ​a​ ​hoof​ ​over​ ​her​ ​mouth​ ​to​ ​hold​ ​it​ ​in.​ ​Allan,​ ​knowing​ ​exactly​ ​where​ ​Fluttershy​ ​kept all​ ​of​ ​her​ ​emergency​ ​supplies​ ​and​ ​utilities,​ ​quickly​ ​dashed​ ​into​ ​the​ ​kitchen​ ​and​ ​grabbed​ ​a​ ​large​ ​bowl from​ ​under​ ​the​ ​sink.​ ​Fluttershy​ ​had​ ​told​ ​him​ ​to​ ​use​ ​it​ ​to​ ​collect​ ​his​ ​resin,​ ​though​ ​so​ ​far,​ ​it​ ​had​ ​gone unused.​ ​Floating​ ​it​ ​quickly​ ​to​ ​the​ ​prismatic​ ​pegasus,​ ​Allan​ ​watched​ ​as​ ​she​ ​barfed​ ​into​ ​it.

“Rainbow...?​ ​What’s​ ​wrong?”​ ​The​ ​changeling​ ​couldn’t​ ​help​ ​but​ ​panic​ ​a​ ​little,​ ​seeing​ ​her​ ​sick like​ ​that.

“I…​ ​I​ ​don’t​ ​know!!”​ ​She​ ​coughed,​ ​dislodging​ ​some​ ​more​ ​vomit​ ​and​ ​rainbow​ ​coloured​ ​cookie chunks.​ ​“I​ ​was​ ​fine​ ​just​ ​now!”​ ​Suddenly,​ ​she​ ​let​ ​out​ ​a​ ​belch,​ ​a​ ​plume​ ​of​ ​fire​ ​coming​ ​out​ ​of​ ​her​ ​mouth instead​ ​of​ ​vomit.​ ​“Woah!”​ ​She​ ​whirled​ ​on​ ​Allan,​ ​grabbing​ ​him​ ​by​ ​the​ ​shoulders.​ ​“We​ ​need​ ​to​ ​go​ ​get Twilight,​ ​now!”

Unfortunately​ ​for​ ​Allan,​ ​misfortune​ ​struck,​ ​and​ ​Rainbow​ ​let​ ​out​ ​another​ ​burst​ ​of​ ​flame, directly​ ​into​ ​his​ ​face,​ ​and​ ​only​ ​his​ ​own​ ​reflexes​ ​got​ ​him​ ​to​ ​close​ ​his​ ​eyes​ ​in​ ​time​ ​to​ ​spare​ ​them​ ​from the​ ​heat.

The​ ​result​ ​was​ ​a​ ​very​ ​apologetic​ ​Rainbow​ ​flying​ ​down​ ​the​ ​road,​ ​still​ ​occasionally​ ​coughing​ ​up random​ ​things​ ​at​ ​even​ ​more​ ​random​ ​intervals,​ ​as​ ​Allan,​ ​his​ ​head​ ​and​ ​neck​ ​darkened​ ​to​ ​near​ ​black​ ​by the​ ​flames​ ​and​ ​covered​ ​in​ ​soot​ ​from​ ​a​ ​layer​ ​of​ ​his​ ​chitin​ ​burning​ ​away.

“I’m​ ​so​ ​sorry​ ​Allan!”​ ​Rainbow​ ​cried,​ ​before​ ​quickly​ ​twisting​ ​away​ ​from​ ​him​ ​as​ ​a​ ​spray​ ​of​ ​acid flew​ ​from​ ​her​ ​mouth,​ ​dissolving​ ​a​ ​tree.​ ​“I​ ​didn’t​ ​mean​ ​to-”

“No​ ​offense,​ ​Dash”​ ​Allan​ ​said,​ ​between​ ​hoofbeats.​ ​“But​ ​you​ ​should​ ​probably​ ​focus​ ​on keeping​ ​your​ ​mouth​ ​turned​ ​away​ ​from​ ​anything​ ​living,​ ​or​ ​expensive!​ ​At​ ​least​ ​until​ ​Twilight​ ​can​ ​find out​ ​what’s​ ​wrong!”

Rainbow​ ​was​ ​about​ ​to​ ​protest,​ ​but​ ​then​ ​her​ ​jaws​ ​were​ ​wrenched​ ​open​ ​by​ ​a​ ​swarm​ ​of butterflies​ ​flying​ ​out​ ​of​ ​it.​ ​Any​ ​arguments​ ​died​ ​as​ ​they​ ​flew​ ​off.​ ​“Yeah,​ ​good​ ​idea!”

**************

“Rainbow,​ ​say​ ​aaahh.”

“Aaaaahh.”​ ​Rainbow​ ​obeyed​ ​Twilight’s​ ​instructions,​ ​only​ ​for​ ​both​ ​her​ ​and​ ​the​ ​alicorn​ ​to​ ​be surprised​ ​when​ ​a​ ​singing​ ​frog​ ​in​ ​a​ ​top​ ​hat​ ​shot​ ​out​ ​of​ ​the​ ​pegasi’s​ ​throat.

Twilight​ ​frowned,​ ​looking​ ​down​ ​her​ ​friend’s​ ​throat​ ​with​ ​some​ ​kind​ ​of​ ​magnification​ ​device attached​ ​to​ ​a​ ​pair​ ​of​ ​glasses,​ ​one​ ​that​ ​looked​ ​like​ ​it​ ​belonged​ ​to​ ​a​ ​dentist’s​ ​office.​ ​She​ ​had,​ ​and​ ​still seemed​ ​quite​ ​stressed​ ​over​ ​something,​ ​her​ ​mane​ ​frazzled​ ​and​ ​done​ ​up​ ​in​ ​an​ ​elaborate​ ​mess​ ​in​ ​order to​ ​keep​ ​it​ ​out​ ​of​ ​her​ ​eyes.​ ​“I’ve​ ​seen​ ​a​ ​lot​ ​of​ ​strange​ ​things,​ ​but​ ​this?”​ ​Twilight​ ​yelped​ ​and​ ​ducked​ ​out of​ ​the​ ​way​ ​a​s​ ​a​ ​spray​ ​of​ ​water​ ​tried​ ​to​ ​slug​ ​her​ ​in​ ​the​ ​face.​ ​“I’ve​ ​never​ ​seen​ ​anything​ ​like​ ​it!”

“Is​ ​there​ ​anything​ ​you​ ​can-”​ ​Rainbow​ ​broke​ ​off​ ​and​ ​vomited​ ​a​ ​pile​ ​of​ ​roses​ ​out​ ​beside​ ​the chair​ ​Twilight​ ​had​ ​her​ ​sat​ ​in​ ​in​ ​her​ ​laboratory.​ “...Do?”

“Not​ ​really.​ ​I’d​ ​need​ ​to​ ​know​ ​what​ ​caused​ ​it.​ ​Do​ ​you​ ​two​ ​have​ ​any​ ​idea?”

Allan​ ​and​ ​Dash​ ​exchanged​ ​looks.​ ​It​ ​was​ ​fairly​ ​obvious​ ​what​ ​had​ ​caused​ ​it. “Yeah.​ ​There​ ​was​ ​a​ ​plate​ ​of​ ​multi-coloured​ ​cookies​ ​back​ ​at​ ​Fluttershy’s.​ ​There​ ​was​ ​no​ ​note saying​ ​I​ ​could​ ​have​ ​any,​ ​so​ ​I​ ​didn’t.​ ​Rainbow​ ​was​ ​eating​ ​them​ ​when​ ​I​ ​got​ ​back.”

Twilight​ ​rubbed​ ​her​ ​chin​ ​with​ ​her​ ​hoof.​ ​“Was​ ​there​ ​anything​ ​that​ ​stood​ ​out​ ​to​ ​you?”

Allan​ ​thought​ ​about​ ​it​ ​for​ ​a​ ​moment.​ ​“Yes,​ ​actually-”​ ​Rainbow​ ​interrupted​ ​the​ ​conversation by​ ​letting​ ​loose​ ​a​ ​swarm​ ​of​ ​bats,​ ​though​ ​Twilight​ ​quickly​ ​corralled​ ​them​ ​and​ ​teleported​ ​them elsewhere.​ ​“Actually,​ ​I​ ​did​ ​notice​ ​that​ ​the​ ​plate​ ​wasn’t​ ​one​ ​of​ ​Fluttershy’s.”

“It​ ​wasn’t?”

“No,​ ​it​ ​wasn’t.​ ​I’ve​ ​gotten​ ​to​ ​know​ ​Fluttershy’s​ ​plates,​ ​and​ ​she​ ​doesn’t​ ​have​ ​one​ ​with​ ​blue flowers​ ​on​ ​it.”

Twilight’s​ ​eyes​ ​narrowed.​ ​“Blue​ ​flowers?​ ​Think​ ​you​ ​could​ ​describe​ ​them​ ​to​ ​me?”

“Sure.​ ​They​ ​were​ ​blue,​ ​like​ ​I​ ​said,​ ​and​ ​they​ ​had​ ​five​ ​petals,​ ​with​ ​those​ ​stamen​ ​things​ ​coming out​ ​of​ ​the​ ​top.​ ​Does​ ​any​ ​of​ ​that​ ​help?”

Twilight​ ​nodded.​ ​“That​ ​sounds​ ​an​ ​awful​ ​lot​ ​like​ ​Poison​ ​Joke​ ​to​ ​me.”

Rainbow​ ​sucked​ ​in​ ​an​ ​alarmed​ ​breath,​ ​while​ ​Allan​ ​just​ ​tilted​ ​his​ ​head.​ ​“Poison….Joke?”

Rainbow​ ​eyes​ ​grew​ ​wild.​ ​“Are​ ​you​ ​telling​ ​me​ ​I​ ​ate​ ​poison​ ​joke!?”​ ​She​ ​clutched​ ​her​ ​stomach with​ ​her​ ​hooves​ ​as​ ​it​ ​let​ ​out​ ​a​ ​rumbling​ ​gurgle.​ ​“What’s​ ​going​ ​to​ ​happen​ ​to​ ​me?”

Twilight’s​ ​frown​ ​deepened.​ ​“I​ ​can’t​ ​be​ ​sure,​ ​but​ ​until​ ​you’re​ ​finished​ ​digesting​ ​those​ ​cookies, you​ ​could​ ​be​ ​vomiting​ ​up​ ​all​ ​kinds​ ​of​ ​things​ ​until​ ​they’re​ ​all​ ​gone.​ ​You​ ​might​ ​still​ ​end​ ​up​ ​getting ‘joked’,​ ​though.”

“Aww,​ ​nuts!”​ ​Rainbow​ ​moaned.​ ​“I​ ​got​ ​practice​ ​for​ ​the​ ​Bolts​ ​tomorrow!​ ​I’m​ ​supposed​ ​to​ ​be performing​ ​for​ ​the​ ​big​ ​reveal​ ​and​ ​celebration!​ ​How​ ​am​ ​I​ ​supposed​ ​to​ ​get​ ​ready​ ​like​ ​this?”

Twilight​ ​glared​ ​at​ ​her.​ ​“Trust​ ​you​ ​to​ ​be​ ​more​ ​worried​ ​about​ ​the​ ​performance​ ​than​ ​your health.”​ ​She​ ​shook​ ​her​ ​head.​ ​“Anyway,​ ​I​ ​think​ ​I​ ​know​ ​somepony​ ​who​ ​can​ ​help.​ ​I​ ​just​ ​have​ ​to​ ​call​ ​him.”

“Sorry,​ ​I​ ​still​ ​don’t​ ​understand.​ ​What’s​ ​Poison​ ​Joke?”​ ​Allan​ ​asked.

Twilight​ ​grinned​ ​at​ ​the​ ​chance​ ​to​ ​inform​ ​her​ ​newest​ ​friend.​ ​“Poison​ ​Joke​ ​is​ ​a​ ​wildflower​ ​that grows​ ​predominantly​ ​in​ ​the​ ​Everfree​ ​Forest.​ ​You​ ​probably​ ​saw​ ​a​ ​lot​ ​on​ ​your​ ​way​ ​from​ ​the​ ​hive.​ ​It’s imbued​ ​with​ ​chaos​ ​magic,​ ​and​ ​plays​ ​jokes​ ​on​ ​those​ ​that​ ​touch​ ​it.​ ​I’ve​ ​never​ ​seen​ ​what​ ​happens​ ​when ponies​ ​eat​ ​it,​ ​but​ ​I’m​ ​guessing​ ​this​ ​is​ ​it.”

“So,​ ​it’s​ ​kind​ ​of​ ​like-”​ ​Rainbow​ ​burped​ ​up​ ​a​ ​pair​ ​of​ ​confused​ ​looking​ ​eagles,​ ​who​ ​quickly​ ​flew off.​ ​“Poison​ ​oak,​ ​but,​ ​pranking,​ ​instead​ ​of​ ​giving​ ​you​ ​a​ ​rash?”

“Pretty​ ​much.”​ ​Twilight​ ​agreed​ ​with​ ​a​ ​nod.​ ​“We’ve​ ​had​ ​a​ ​run​ ​in​ ​with​ ​it​ ​before,​ ​but​ ​that​ ​was only​ ​us​ ​touching​ ​it.​ ​I​ ​don’t​ ​think​ ​solving​ ​this​ ​will​ ​be​ ​as​ ​simple​ ​as​ ​taking​ ​a​ ​herbal​ ​bath​ ​this​ ​time.”​ ​Allan winced​ ​as​ ​Rainbow​ ​hacked​ ​up​ ​a​ ​small​ ​apple​ ​tree​ ​that​ ​was​ ​bigger​ ​than​ ​she​ ​was.​ ​Twilight​ ​rolled​ ​her eyes​ ​at​ ​the​ ​randomness​ ​and​ ​teleported​ ​outside,​ ​before​ ​continuing.​ ​That’s​ ​why​ ​I’ll​ ​need​ ​to​ ​summon Discord​ ​and​ ​see​ ​if​ ​he’ll​ ​help.”

“Discord?”​ ​Allan​ ​recalled​ ​hearing​ ​the​ ​name​ ​from​ ​Fluttershy​ ​and​ ​Twilight​ ​during​ ​his​ ​first​ ​visit to​ ​Rarity’s.​ ​“You​ ​mean​ ​that​ ​big,​ ​Draconi-whatsit​ ​that​ ​you​ ​guys​ ​said​ ​nearly​ ​took​ ​over​ ​the​ ​world, twice?”

Twilight​ ​nodded.​ ​“Fluttershy’s​ ​been​ ​helping​ ​him​ ​learn​ ​how​ ​to​ ​use​ ​his​ ​powers​ ​for​ ​good.”​ ​She slapped​ ​an​ ​exasperated​ ​hoof​ ​to​ ​her​ ​face.​ ​“Though​ ​he’s​ ​still​ ​just​ ​as​ ​irritating​ ​as​ ​when​ ​we​ ​first​ ​met him.”

“Alright...so,​ ​you​ ​gonna​ ​call​ ​him,​ ​or​ ​what?”

Twilight​ ​groaned.​ ​“I​ ​really​ ​don’t​ ​feel​ ​like​ ​dealing​ ​with​ ​his​ ​antics​ ​today.”​ ​Her​ ​horn​ ​started​ ​to glow,​ ​right​ ​before​ ​Twilight​ ​called​ ​out​ ​the​ ​Lord​ ​of​ ​Chaos’s​ ​name.​ ​“Discord!”

A​ ​glowing​ ​circle​ ​appeared​ ​on​ ​the​ ​floor,​ ​filled​ ​with​ ​bizarre​ ​symbols​ ​and​ ​the​ ​image​ ​of​ ​one​ ​of the​ ​most​ ​weird​ ​creatures​ ​Allan​ ​had​ ​seen​ ​so​ ​far.​ ​It’s​ ​limbs​ ​were​ ​all​ ​from​ ​different​ ​animals,​ ​namely​ ​a reptile,​ ​bird,​ ​lion​ ​and…​ ​was​ ​that​ ​a​ ​goat​ ​leg?​ ​It​ ​sported​ ​a​ ​short,​ ​dark,​ ​mane,​ ​big,​ ​bushy​ ​white eyebrows,​ ​and​ ​a​ ​big​ ​white​ ​goatee.​ ​He​ ​also​ ​had​ ​a​ ​pair​ ​of​ ​oddly​ ​mismatched​ ​horns​ ​and​ ​a​ ​tail​ ​that looked​ ​like​ ​it​ ​would​ ​be​ ​more​ ​at​ ​home​ ​on​ ​one​ ​of​ ​the​ ​eastern​ ​dragons​ ​Allan​ ​had​ ​seen​ ​on​ ​almost​ ​every eastern​ ​themed​ ​anything​ ​that​ ​had​ ​made​ ​it’s​ ​way​ ​to​ ​Canada.

“What​ ​the​ ​heck​ ​is​ ​that?”​ ​He​ ​asked,​ ​leaning​ ​out​ ​over​ ​the​ ​image.

The​ ​face​ ​of​ ​the​ ​image​ ​suddenly​ ​twisted​ ​into​ ​a​ ​grin,​ ​filled​ ​with​ ​fangs,​ ​one​ ​in​ ​particular seeming​ ​quite​ ​a​ ​bit​ ​longer​ ​than​ ​its​ ​fellows.​ ​Allan​ ​jerked​ ​back​ ​as​ ​the​ ​‘image’,​ ​quite​ ​suddenly​ ​rose​ ​up from​ ​the​ ​floor,​ ​the​ ​drawn​ ​on​ ​lines​ ​becoming​ ​the​ ​smoother​ ​borders​ ​of​ ​a​ ​living​ ​creature,​ ​one​ ​whose very​ ​existence​ ​set​ ​Allan’s​ ​brain​ ​into​ ​“terrified​ ​beyond​ ​rational​ ​thought”​ ​mode.​ ​Because​ ​Allan​ ​could sense​ ​an​ ​aura​ ​of​ ​power​ ​about​ ​the​ ​creature.​ ​One​ ​that​ ​far​ ​surpassed​ ​his​ ​own.​ ​One​ ​that​ ​surpassed Twilight.

“Oh,​ ​just​ ​the​ ​living​ ​representation​ ​of​ ​chaos,​ ​not​ ​that​ ​you​ ​would​ ​know.”​ ​His​ ​voice​ ​was​ ​far​ ​too glib​ ​and​ ​full​ ​of​ ​mischievous​ ​intent​ ​for​ ​anyone​ ​not​ ​to​ ​be​ ​wary​ ​of​ ​the​ ​creature,​ ​but​ ​Twilight​ ​only seemed​ ​annoyed.​ ​“But​ ​I​ ​thought​ ​all​ ​of​ ​Equus​ ​knew​ ​about​ ​​moi.​”

“Discord,​ ​please.​ ​Rainbow’s​ ​in​ ​trouble,​ ​and​ ​we​ ​need​ ​your​ ​help.”

“Oh,​ ​you​ ​need​ ​my​ ​help​ ​again,​ ​so​ ​soon?”​ ​The​ ​pomposity​ ​and​ ​arrogance​ ​of​ ​this​ ​thing​ ​were quite​ ​evident​ ​in​ ​how​ ​he​ ​acted.​ ​“The​ ​Princess​ ​of​ ​Friendship​ ​not​ ​able​ ​to​ ​solve​ ​a​ ​problem​ ​on​ ​her​ ​own, oh​ ​dearie​ ​me,​ ​whatever​ ​has​ ​Equestria​ ​come​ ​to?”

“Discord!”​ ​Twilight​ ​ground​ ​her​ ​teeth​ ​together.​ ​Allan​ ​stayed​ ​very​ ​still.​ ​“Will​ ​you​ ​please​ ​just​ ​fix Rainbow?​ ​She’s​ ​eaten​ ​cookies​ ​with​ ​poison​ ​joke​ ​in​ ​them,​ ​and​ ​now-”

Discord​ ​vanished​ ​in​ ​an​ ​instant,​ ​only​ ​to​ ​pop​ ​out​ ​of​ ​Rainbow’s​ ​mouth​ ​with​ ​a​ ​pair​ ​of​ ​scuba goggles​ ​and​ ​a​ ​diving​ ​suit​ ​on.​ ​The​ ​Pegasi​ ​cried​ ​out​ ​in​ ​alarm,​ ​or​ ​tried​ ​to​ ​anyway,​ ​at​ ​the​ ​sight​ ​of​ ​the​ ​Lord of​ ​Chaos​ ​emerging​ ​from​ ​her​ ​own​ ​muzzle.

“You’ve​ ​been​ ​hanging​ ​around​ ​Princess​ ​Celestia​ ​again,​ ​haven’t​ ​you?”​ ​Discord​ ​grumbled,​ ​his eyes​ ​popping​ ​out​ ​of​ ​his​ ​head​ ​and​ ​circling​ ​around​ ​Rainbow.​ ​“Her​ ​boooring​ ​side​ ​is​ ​seems​ ​to​ ​be​ ​rubbing off​ ​on​ ​you.”

Allan​ ​stole​ ​a​ ​quick​ ​glance,​ ​and​ ​saw​ ​Twilight​ ​still​ ​glaring​ ​at​ ​Discord,​ ​only​ ​the​ ​colours​ ​of​ ​her mane​ ​and​ ​tail​ ​were​ ​all​ ​wrong.​ ​They​ ​were​ ​a​ shimmering​ ​hue​ ​of​ ​soft​ ​greens,​ ​blues​ ​and​ ​pinks,​ ​instead​ ​of the​ ​dark,​ ​navy​ ​blue​ ​with​ ​the​ ​violet​ ​and​ ​pink​ ​stripes​ ​running​ ​through​ ​the​ ​middle​ ​of​ ​her mathematically​ ​styled​ ​mane.

“Discord.”​ ​Twilight’s​ ​teeth​ ​were​ ​clenched.

“Oh,​ ​fine.”​ ​He​ ​snapped​ ​his​ ​clawed​ ​fingers,​ ​vanishing​ ​again.​ ​Rainbow​ ​immediately​ ​stuck​ ​out her​ ​tongue​ ​and​ ​started​ ​doing​ ​her​ ​best​ ​to​ scrape​ ​the​ ​taste​ ​of​ ​fur​ ​off​ ​her​ ​tongue.​ ​The​ ​Draconequus reappeared,​ ​several​ ​whole​ ​and​ ​undigested​ ​cookies​ ​in​ ​his​ ​claws,​ ​taking​ ​a​ ​bite​ ​of​ ​one​ ​the​ ​moment​ ​he rematerialized.​ ​“There,​ ​miss​ ​grouchy​ ​pants.​ ​Satisfied?”

Twilight​ ​teleported​ ​a​ ​pair​ ​of​ ​rather​ ​silly​ ​looking​ ​pair​ ​of​ ​pants​ ​wearing​ ​a​ ​pair​ ​of​ ​glasses​ ​with spectacles,​ ​a​ ​huge​ ​nose​ ​and​ ​bushy​ ​mustache​ ​off​ ​of​ ​her​ ​flank,​ ​and​ ​generously​ ​returning​ ​them​ ​to Discord.​ ​“Yes,​ ​actually.​ ​Thank​ ​you​ ​for​ ​helping,​ ​you​ ​can-”

“Oh,​ ​but​ ​who​ ​is​ ​this?​ ​I​ ​don’t​ ​think​ ​we’ve​ ​met​ ​before,​ ​but​ ​with​ ​you​ ​changelings​ ​I​ ​can’t​ ​be​ ​sure. Are​ ​the​ ​changeling​ ​who​ ​pretended​ ​to​ ​be​ ​Fluttershy​ ​in​ ​order​ ​to​ ​capture​ ​me?”​ ​Discord​ ​was​ ​already busy​ ​making​ ​himself​ ​quite​ ​at​ ​home​ ​around​ ​Allan,​ ​who​ ​remained​ ​as​ ​perfectly​ ​still​ ​as​ ​was​ ​physically possible.​ ​“Well,​ ​I’d​ ​be​ ​able​ ​to​ ​tell​ ​if​ ​you​ ​looked​ ​like​ ​one​ ​of​ ​those​ ​old​ ​changelings.”​ ​Another​ ​finger snap,​ ​and​ ​Allan​ ​felt​ ​himself​ ​change​ ​involuntarily.​ ​He​ ​twisted​ ​around,​ ​trying​ ​to​ ​get​ ​the​ ​Draconequus​ ​in view​ ​to,​ ​politely,​ ​ask​ ​that​ ​he​ ​change​ ​Allan​ ​back.​ ​Instead,​ ​he​ ​turned​ ​to​ ​see​ ​a​ ​large,​ ​black​ ​shelled creature​ ​with​ ​big​ ​blue​ ​eyes​ ​and​ ​holes​ ​through​ ​it’s​ ​limbs​ ​and​ ​it’s​ ​sharp,​ ​jagged​ ​horn,​ ​with​ ​a​ ​vicious, fanged​ ​mouth​ ​and​ ​no​ ​nostrils​ ​of​ ​which​ ​to​ ​speak.

Allan's​ ​eyes​ ​widened​ ​and​ ​he​ ​fell​ ​back​ ​with​ ​a​ ​startled​ ​yelp,​ ​leaving​ ​Discord​ ​hovering​ ​in​ ​the​ ​air, the​ ​mirror​ ​he​ ​was​ ​holding​ ​shaking​ ​as​ ​he​ ​laughed.​ ​“You​ ​should​ ​see​ ​your​ ​face,​ ​priceless!”

Allan​ ​raised​ ​his​ ​forelegs,​ ​looking​ ​at​ ​the​ ​holes​ ​in​ ​his​ ​legs​ ​with​ ​an​ ​open​ ​mouth.​ ​“Wha-what​ ​is this?”

“That’s​ ​how​ ​the​ ​Changelings​ ​looked​ ​before​ ​they​ ​deposed​ ​Chrysalis.”​ ​Twilight​ ​explained, before​ ​turning​ ​on​ ​Discord.​ ​“Discord,​ ​enough.​ ​Allan​ ​has​ ​been​ ​through​ ​enough​ ​as​ ​it​ ​is.​ ​Change​ ​him back.”

“What​ ​kind​ ​of​ ​name​ ​is​ ​Allan?”​ ​The​ ​Draconequus​ ​continued,​ ​paying​ ​the​ ​Princess​ ​no​ ​mind. “Even​ ​for​ ​a​ ​Changeling,​ ​that’s​ ​odd.”

“I’m​ ​human,​ ​damnit!​ ​So​ ​back​ ​off!”​ ​Allan​ ​snapped,​ ​before​ ​clapping​ ​his​ ​hooves​ ​over​ ​his​ ​muzzle as​ ​he​ ​realized​ ​he’d​ ​just​ ​spoken​ ​like​ ​that​ ​to​ ​a​ ​god-like​ ​being​ ​for​ ​the​ ​second​ ​time.

Discord’s​ ​eyes​ ​lit​ ​up.​ ​The​ ​strange,​ ​maniacal​ ​grin​ ​that​ ​split​ ​his​ ​face,​ ​quite​ ​literally​ ​(and​ ​grossly) in​ ​two​ ​made​ ​both​ ​Changeling​ ​and​ ​Princess​ ​very​ ​wary.​ ​After​ ​all,​ ​when​ ​the​ ​god​ ​of​ ​chaos​ ​itself​ ​gets excited,​ ​all​ ​should​ ​tread​ ​lightly​ ​about​ ​him.

“Human,​ ​really?!”​ ​Discord​ ​was​ ​practically​ ​gushing.​ ​“I​ ​haven’t​ ​visited​ ​a​ ​human​ ​world​ ​in millennia!​ ​Tell​ ​me,​ ​did​ ​that​ ​Mordred​ ​fellow​ ​ever​ ​take​ ​over​ ​that​ ​Kingdom​ ​he​ ​wanted,​ ​uh,​ ​Albion?’

Alan's​ ​eyes​ ​went​ ​crossed​ ​as​ ​the​ ​Draconequus​ ​pressed​ ​his​ ​face​ ​against​ ​Alan's,​ ​eyes​ ​wide​ ​and large.

“Um….​ ​If​ ​my​ ​Arthurian​ ​legend​ ​is​ ​right…​ ​no.”​ ​Allan​ ​answered​ ​carefully.​ ​“If​ ​I’m​ ​right,​ ​I​ ​think Mordred​ ​and​ ​Arthur​ ​fought​ ​to​ ​the​ ​death,​ ​only​ ​to​ ​both​ ​die.”

Discord’s​ ​eyes​ ​were​ ​still​ ​gleeful​ ​as​ ​he​ ​pulled​ ​Allan​ ​off​ ​the​ ​ground​ ​and​ ​twirled​ ​around.​ ​“Oh!​ ​I just​ ​knew​ ​that​ ​things​ ​would​ ​get​ ​crazy​ ​if​ ​they​ ​fought!​ ​What​ ​happened​ ​to​ ​the​ ​kingdom?”

“Uh…​ ​it​ ​fell​ ​into​ ​a​ ​new​ ​dark​ ​age?”​ ​Allan​ ​said,​ ​slowly.​ ​He​ ​wasn’t​ ​entirely​ ​sure,​ ​but​ ​Arthur​ ​had never​ ​been​ ​said​ ​to​ ​have​ ​had​ ​an​ ​heir​ ​or​ ​successor,​ ​which​ ​meant​ ​his​ ​golden​ ​age​ ​would​ ​have​ ​e​nded with​ ​him.​ ​“Besides,​ ​most​ ​people​ ​don’t​ ​even​ ​know​ ​if​ ​all​ ​that​ ​stuff​ ​really​ ​happened.​ ​It​ ​was​ ​so​ ​long​ ​ago.”

“Well​ ​that’s​ ​disappointing,​ ​but​ ​to​ ​be​ ​expected​ ​from​ ​such​ ​short​ ​lived​ ​people.” Twilight​ ​butted​ ​in​ ​then.​ ​“Discord,​ ​excuse​ ​my​ ​interrupting,​ ​but​ ​could​ ​you​ ​please​ ​tell​ ​me….”​ ​Her hair​ ​suddenly​ ​started​ ​to​ ​smoulder,​ ​and​ ​she​ ​yelled​ ​at​ ​a​ ​volume​ ​so​ ​loud​ ​that​ ​Allan​ ​was​ ​momentarily deafened.​ ​“WHY​ ​YOU​ ​NEVER​ ​BOTHERED​ ​TO​ ​TELL​ ​ANYPONY​ ​ABOUT​ ​THIS​ ​BEFORE!?!?”

Discord​ ​took​ ​a​ ​moment​ ​to​ ​quite​ ​literally​ ​pull​ ​the​ ​words​ ​out​ ​​ ​of​ ​his​ ​ears,​ ​before​ ​casually tossing​ ​them​ ​away.​ ​“Why,​ ​Princess.”​ ​He​ ​grinned,​ ​an​ ​annoying,​ ​toothy​ ​grin.​ ​“None​ ​of​ ​you​ ​ever​ ​asked.”

Twilight’s​ ​smouldering​ ​hair​ ​started​ ​smoking​ ​even​ ​more,​ ​as​ ​Twilight​ ​let​ ​out​ ​a​ ​loud,​ ​groan​ ​of exasperation.​ ​“Fine.​ ​But​ ​you’d​ ​better​ ​start​ ​talking!”

“About​ ​what?​ ​The​ ​humans​ ​I​ ​knew?”

“Yes,​ ​the​ ​ones​ ​you​ ​knew!”

“Knew​ ​what?”​ ​Discord​ ​asked,​ ​somehow​ ​looking​ ​both​ ​innocent​ ​and​ ​mischievous​ ​at​ ​once.

Twilight​ ​slapped​ ​her​ ​forehead.​ ​“The​ ​humans!”

Discord​ ​spread​ ​his​ ​claws.​ ​“What​ ​humans?”

“The​ ​ones​ ​you​ ​knew!”

“Knew​ ​what?”

Allan​ ​sighed.​ ​This​ ​was​ ​going​ ​to​ ​go​ ​on​ ​for​ ​a​ ​while.

******************

As​ ​expected,​ ​Discord​ ​and​ ​Twilight​ ​had​ ​spent​ ​several​ ​minutes​ ​arguing​ ​after​ ​Twilight​ ​had managed​ ​to​ ​break​ ​out​ ​of​ ​his​ ​conversational​ ​loop​ ​of​ ​questions,​ ​statements​ ​and​ ​queries,​ ​leaving​ ​Allan and​ ​Rainbow​ ​to​ ​wait​ ​out​ ​the​ ​shouting​ ​match.​ ​Most​ ​of​ ​the​ ​shouting​ ​came​ ​from​ ​Twilight,​ ​who​ ​seemed to​ ​be​ ​using​ ​Discord​ ​as​ ​a​ ​vent​ ​for​ ​her​ ​personal​ ​frustrations,​ ​though​ ​the​ ​great​ ​beast​ ​didn’t​ ​seem​ ​to mind​ ​much.​ ​Allan​ ​could​ ​tell​ ​he​ ​enjoyed​ ​witnessing​ ​others​ ​get​ ​angry​ ​with​ ​him,​ ​though​ ​he​ ​had​ ​to wonder​ ​why​ ​such​ ​a​ ​powerful​ ​and​ ​mischievous​ ​individual​ ​was​ ​trusted​ ​to​ ​roam​ ​free​ ​without​ ​anyone​ ​to keep​ ​an​ ​eye​ ​on​ ​him.

When​ ​the​ ​two​ ​finally​ ​did​ ​settle​ ​down,​ ​with​ ​Discord​ ​grinning​ ​madly​ ​as​ ​he​ ​left,​ ​Twilight​ ​turned back​ ​to​ ​the​ ​two,​ ​just​ ​as​ ​Discord’s​ ​spell​ ​on​ ​Allan​ ​wore​ ​off,​ ​resulting​ ​in​ ​a​ ​rush​ ​of​ ​blue​ ​flames​ ​that startled​ ​all​ ​three​ ​of​ ​them.

“Right,​ ​so…​ ​that’s​ ​Rainbow​ ​taken​ ​care​ ​of.”​ ​Twilight​ ​chuckled,​ ​a​ ​hesitant,​ ​shaky​ ​noise​ ​that implied​ ​that​ ​her​ ​emotions​ ​weren’t​ ​quite​ ​all​ ​back​ ​in​ ​check​ ​yet.

Rainbow​ ​let​ ​out​ ​a​ ​relieved​ ​sigh,​ ​wiping​ ​her​ ​brow​ ​with​ ​her​ ​forehoof.​ ​“That’s​ ​good.”​ ​The pegasus​ ​also​ ​seemed​ ​a​ ​little​ ​out​ ​of​ ​sorts,​ ​but​ ​that​ ​was​ ​to​ ​be​ ​expected.​ ​“I​ ​don’t​ ​think​ ​Spitfire​ ​would have​ ​been​ ​all​ ​that​ ​pleased​ ​if​ ​I​ ​turned​ ​up​ ​puking​ ​weird​ ​stuff​ ​all​ ​over​ ​the​ ​place.​ ​Thanks​ ​a​ ​bunch,​ ​Twi.”

“No​ ​problem.​ ​I​ ​just​ ​want​ ​to​ ​talk​ ​to​ ​Allan​ ​about​ ​Discord,​ ​if​ ​that’s​ ​alright.”

“Sure.​ ​I’ll​ ​be​ ​outside​ ​when​ ​you​ ​wanna​ ​get​ ​some​ ​flying​ ​practice​ ​in.”​ ​She​ ​looked​ ​at​ ​Allan​ ​when she​ ​said​ ​that,​ ​then​ ​took​ ​off,​ ​speeding​ ​back​ ​through​ ​the​ ​castle​ ​to​ ​get​ ​outside.​ ​The​ ​sound​ ​of​ ​the​ ​main door​ ​opening​ ​​ ​and​ ​closing​ ​rebounded​ ​through​ ​the​ ​corridors​ ​as​ ​Twilight​ ​led​ ​Allan​ ​over​ ​to​ ​a​ ​small,​ ​out of​ ​the​ ​way​ ​table​ ​that​ ​seemed​ ​to​ ​serve​ ​as​ ​a​ ​place​ ​of​ ​rest​ ​and​ ​relaxation​ ​in​ ​between​ ​long​ ​bouts​ ​of
study​ ​and​ ​experimentation.​ ​It​ ​apparently​ ​didn’t​ ​get​ ​used​ ​very​ ​often.

Twilight​ ​sat​ ​down,​ ​motioning​ ​with​ ​a​ ​wing​ ​to​ ​the​ ​other​ ​seat.​ ​“So…​ ​are​ ​you​ ​alright?​ ​I​ ​know​ that meeting​ ​Discord​ ​for​ ​the​ ​first​ ​time​ ​can​ ​be​ ​like,​ ​so​ ​I​ ​thought​ ​I’d​ ​better​ ​ask.”

Allan​ ​remained​ ​quiet​ ​for​ ​a​ ​moment,​ ​before​ ​he​ ​murmured​ ​his​ ​response.​ ​“He​ ​scares​ ​me.”

Twilight​ ​nodded.​ ​“I​ ​though​ ​he​ ​might,​ ​but​ ​you​ ​would​ ​have​ ​met​ ​him​ ​eventually,​ ​and​ ​I​ ​thought it​ ​would​ ​be​ ​better​ ​that​ ​you​ ​met​ ​him​ ​when​ ​either​ ​me​ ​or​ ​Fluttershy​ ​was​ ​around​ ​to​ ​reign​ ​in his…..impulses.”

Allan​ ​shuddered.​ ​“How​ ​can​ ​you​ ​stand​ ​being​ ​around​ ​him?​ ​He’s​ ​so….”

“Annoying?”​ ​Twilight​ ​asked​ ​with​ ​a​ ​smile.

“No.​ ​He’s….overwhelming,​ ​and​ ​I​ ​don’t​ ​mean​ ​personality-wise.”​ ​Allan​ ​and​ ​Twilight’s​ ​eyes​ ​met, and​ ​she​ ​could​ ​see…​ ​dread,​ ​or​ ​perhaps​ ​fear.​ ​“I​ ​could​ ​sense​ ​how​ ​powerful​ ​his​ ​magic​ ​is,​ ​and​ ​it….”​ ​The Changeling​ ​turned​ ​his​ ​gaze​ ​away.​ ​“It’s​ ​enough​ ​to​ ​drive​ ​anyone​ ​mad.”

Twilight​ ​had​ ​nothing​ ​to​ ​say.​ ​Normal​ ​Unicorns​ ​could​ ​sense​ ​the​ ​magical​ ​signatures​ ​of​ ​others, and​ ​were​ ​taught​ ​from​ ​a​ ​young​ ​age​ ​how​ ​to​ ​filter​ ​them​ ​out.​ ​Allan​ ​hadn’t​ ​been​ ​taught​ ​how​ ​to​ ​do​ ​that. He​ ​still​ ​had​ ​so​ ​much​ ​to​ ​learn.

Changing​ ​the​ ​subject,​ ​Twilight​ ​put​ ​on​ ​her​ ​best​ ​apologetic​ ​face.​ ​“I’m​ ​sorry​ ​I​ ​haven’t​ ​said anything​ ​about​ ​the​ ​portal​ ​yet.​ ​It’s​ ​just​ ​that​ ​Thorax​ ​and​ ​I​ ​can’t​ ​seem​ ​to​ ​find​ ​any​ ​mention​ ​of​ ​similar magic​ ​in​ ​the​ ​Canterlot​ ​Archives​ ​or​ ​the​ ​Changeling​ ​Archives.​ ​Anything​ ​we​ ​do​ ​know​ ​is​ ​what​ ​you’ve​ ​told us,​ ​what’s​ ​in​ ​the​ ​notes​ ​Thorax​ ​found,​ ​or​ ​what​ ​he​ ​and​ ​his​ ​team​ ​have​ ​been​ ​able​ ​to​ ​find​ ​on​ ​their​ ​end.”

Allan​ ​nodded,​ ​quietly​ ​accepting​ ​the​ ​apology​ ​as​ ​he​ ​felt​ ​his​ ​hope​ ​of​ ​returning​ ​home​ ​dwindle just​ ​a​ ​little​ ​more.

“We​ ​might​ ​find​ ​something​ ​soon,​ ​but​ ​Thorax​ ​and​ ​I​ ​think​ ​it’s​ ​best​ ​for​ ​you​ ​to​ ​just…​ ​try​ ​and relax.”

Great.​ ​What​ ​a​ ​great​ ​piece​ ​of​ ​advice.​ ​So​ ​great…..ugh.​ ​Relaxing​ ​was​ ​the​ ​last​ ​thing​ ​Allan​ ​could do​ ​with​ ​an​ ​impending​ ​visit​ ​to​ ​Canterlot,​ ​and​ ​the​ ​resident​ ​Princesses.​ ​Relax?​ ​Yeah,​ ​right.

********************

PreviousChapters Next