• Published 16th Jan 2017
  • 5,488 Views, 227 Comments

Bards of the Badlands - Amber Spark



With her new friend off in Trottingham and the Princess in Griffinstone, Sunset finds herself bored and lonely for the first time. However, Moon Dancer and the Princess already have a plan in place in the form of a perky blue unicorn named Minuette.

  • ...
5
 227
 5,488

The Players

Garnet stepped inside the tavern, making sure her cloak didn’t catch on the old wood of the door. Like most taverns, it smelled of unwashed ponies and spilled cider. However, most taverns’ rafters shook with some terrible bard belting out songs that no sober pony would ever want to hear.

Which was probably why taverns employed them. After all, it drove ponies deeper into a cider-induced stupor, which kept the bits rolling into coffers.

But this place was oddly subdued. The lights were too low. No music was playing. Conversation was more whispers than boisterous boasts. She’d been to these kinds of taverns before. They were usually full of dark and brooding characters who thought they were edgy but instead were merely trite and boring.

Except the patrons here seemed… well, normal for lack of a better term. And yet… there was something missing from their eyes as they glanced at her with uninterested expressions. Each of them was perhaps a bit more gaunt or a bit more pale than they ought to be. The sheer near-normalcy of the tavern unnerved her.

She tucked her rose mane securely under her hood as she trotted forward and searched the grim gathering of ponies for those described in the note.

As the other three unicorns waited in her foyer, Sunset dove into the main sitting room and started tossing things aside. Books, bedding, boxes and barrels floated around the room as she dug the table out from under the projector she had ‘borrowed’ from the Castle Archives last year.

She just hadn’t gotten around to returning it yet.

Yeah, keep telling yourself that.

Finally, she managed to pull the clunky box from between a chair, a dusty alchemy set and one of her old telescopes. She had intended to clean it and try to stargaze in the warm evening air, but seeing how much repair it needed had just made the whole thing seem like an exercise in—

She yelped as she lost her balance and crashed to the floor in a cloud of dust.

“Sunny?” came Minuette’s concerned call from the entryway.

“Fine!” Sunset coughed. She was so busy coughing she couldn’t react to that stupid nickname. “Just fine! Just… tripped! On dust! On a box. On a chair! I’ll be back in a couple minutes. Just need to… freshen up!”

Sunset tossed the giant box containing all the projector equipment near the window, snatched up everything else she could grab in her magic, and thrust it into a closet. For a moment, she wished she was better at organizing.

Then I’d just have to concentrate, and they’d sort themselves into their proper places. Instead, I have to—

With a grunt and a sneeze, she shoved the mass of stuff deeper into the closet. There was a faint tinkling sound from deep within the pile.

Sunset winced and hoped that wasn’t anything too expensive.

Once she was sure the door wasn’t going to burst open under the pressure differential, she darted into the bathroom, and locked the door with another cough.

After hacking up a few more lungfuls of dust, Sunset started the water in the sink and tried to wash the dirt from her hooves. She scrubbed with her magic and tried to get herself clean. All she could manage was a muddy amber coat with something resembling mottled gray socks over her forelegs.

Finally, she turned off the faucet, drained the brown water and stared up into the reflection of a somewhat panicked-looking amber unicorn with a few streaks of dust in her red and gold mane.

“What am I doing?” Sunset asked her reflection. “Why did I even let them in here?”

Because you’re so blasted lonely that you’ll take just about anything. You don’t want to admit how depressed you are after Moon Dancer went off with her parents. And now with Celestia off in Griffonstone…

“Wow, you’re not pulling punches today,” she growled.

Not really my style.

“So, which one are you?”

We went through this a few months ago, Sunset, the voice sighed, though she noticed it was without the annoyance and ever-growing anger that other part of her showed. We’re all you. If you really want to talk to her though…

“Nope!” Sunset shouted far too loudly. “Nope! Don’t need any more comments from her today!”

She let out an explosive sigh and rested her head against the mirror.

“I have got to be out of my mind. I can’t play some quill-and-parchment game with them. Lemon Hearts obviously still hates me, Twinkleshine doesn’t care, and Minuette… well, Minuette’s just crazy. Even if it was just Minuette, playing O&O with only one other pony is just stupid.”

Even though you’ve actually always wa—

“No!” Sunset yelled. “I’m not doing it! And that’s final!”

Who are you trying to convince, here?

“I miss the days when I could go a whole week without actually talking to myself.”

It’s no picnic for me, either. The conversation’s so… one-sided.

Sunset shot herself a glare, which was about as effective as she expected. After another sigh, she took a washcloth and tried one more time to get the grime off. Thirty seconds later, she threw it over the shower railing in disgust, unlocked the door and opened it.

“Hiya!”

“Gah!” Sunset yelped and stumbled backward, landing hard into her bathtub.

A blue pony stood in the doorway, a gleaming grin on her muzzle. After a moment, she recognized the form as one of her ‘guests.’ “What… Minuette… what?

Minuette shrugged as she trotted forward. “Sorry! Didn’t mean to startle you. I just heard voices and wanted to know if you had somepony else over. They could play with us! But I did think it would be weird they were hiding in your bathroom. Are they? Because bigger groups always make O&O more fun!”

Sunset gritted her teeth, glaring at the blue unicorn from the bathtub. “Ow.”

“Oh, right. Sorry.” She held out a hoof. After a long moment, Sunset grabbed it and hauled herself back to her hooves.

She doesn’t look very sorry. At all.

“So who were you talking to?”

“Myself,” Sunset muttered as she opened up the medicine cabinet and pulled out a couple strips of willow bark from a small canister. She filled a cup of water, chewed the bark, and swallowed the mixture. “I do that sometimes. So I can be sure I have an intelligent conversation once in a while.”

“Well, that’s just silly,” Minuette informed her. “After all, there are plenty of ponies around you can have intelligent conversations with!”

Sunset stared at Minuette.

Is she just that dense, or is she a master at ignoring sarcasm?

Sunset’s eyes narrowed.

Even odds to both.

“Right.”

“So, nopony else around?”

“Nope.”

“Oh well!” Minuette shrugged. “I assume that giant dusty box of dust out there goes in the dusty store room. Need a hoof getting it there intact?”

“Nope!” Sunset squeaked and coughed a few times. “Not at all. I’ll handle everything.”

Some part of her facehoofed. She ignored that part. That part was a jerk.

Without thinking about it, Sunset’s horn flared and she appeared in a flash on the other side of Minuette. She wobbled a little before catching herself as Minuette spun to face her.

“You could have just asked me to move,” Minuette pointed out, her endless cheer dimming just a bit. “Just saying.”

“Didn’t want to be a bother!” Sunset replied with a grin, blinking a few times to clear the spots from her eyes. “Just… go on downstairs. I’ll be down in a bit.”

“Hey there, little missy,” hiccuped a scrawny unicorn from a bar stool nearby. “Lookin’ fer somepony t’ share some cider with?”

Garnet barely afforded the drunk a glance before she rolled her eyes and sighed as a bit of her mane slipped from beneath her cowl. “No.”

“Aw, come on!” the unicorn cried. “Don’t be like that!”

Garnet ignored him and scanned the crowd. The lighting was so dim in here she could barely see.

How do ponies operate like this? Even the worst bar in Marewinter wouldn’t dare to look this run down.

“Listen now, ya got a pretty mane.” The unicorn had gotten off his stool and was now wandering in her general direction. “Reminds me of an ol’ flame. I really liked her mane.”

“How nice,” Garnet growled, wondering if it had been wise to let Eoana rest for a short time. Finally, her eyes lit on something promising.

In the far corner, under a flickering lantern, sat a pegasus, a—Goddess, why?—batpony and, to her complete shock, a deer.

What in the world could have brought a deer out of her forests into pony lands?
Most importantly, the pegasus had a large mug next to her with a bright blue cloth wrapped around the grip, facing outward so it was clearly visible to the room.

Finally, the sign. Now let’s get this—

Garnet froze when she felt a hoof on her flank.

“Right on over here...” the drunk slurred. “I just wanna share a drink wi’ ya. Then we’ll just let one thin’ lead to another and find out—hic!—what happens next.”

It took every ounce of self-control not to burn the offending hoof into ashes. Instead, Garnet pasted a sweet smile onto her muzzle and turned to face the drunk. She blinked at the scent of him. Whatever he’d been drinking, she doubted it qualified as cider in her book.

“You would like to know what happens next, hm?” Garnet said in her softest voice.

A few nearby—and more importantly, slightly more sober—patrons suddenly decided they had pressing engagements elsewhere. Or at least far enough away as to not get caught up in the coming festivities.

“Oh yeah,” the drunk said with a grin. “That sounds fun.”

There were a thousand and one things she could do to the idiot. She could unleash the fury of Chaos on the helpless oaf. Burn off his mane. Transfigure him into a rabbit. Have him doing the foxtrot for the next three days straight. Go confess his undying love to the closest rat king. But in the end, that was the same sort of thing that had forced her to this Goddess-forsaken place.

What’s more… it was the kind of thing that kept her alone. And that realization… that was more bitter than any cider.

“Do yourself a favor,” Garnet muttered. “Go home.”

“Now, listen here, little missy,” the unicorn said, shoving himself up into her face. She almost choked on his breath. “I aim t’ have a pretty girl drinkin’ wi’ me tonight. And I aim fer tha’ girl t’ be ya, since yer pretty wi’ that pretty mane.”

“Your aim is far from the mark.”

The drunk reached out and grabbed Garnet’s right forehoof. Instinct overrode wisdom and it was only by sheer luck that the idiot didn’t get something worse than the telekinetic bolt of power that tore out of Garnet. The drunk was in the air for a good five seconds before crashing against the far wall. He looked up at her with a dumbfounded expression, eyes rolling back in his head before he keeled over backward and promptly started snoring.

Dead silence reigned in the tavern as she felt the eye of everypony on her.

Finally, a nervous little barkeep came out from behind the bar with a small wooden platter and a large mug of cider.

“On the house, young miss,” the barkeep said in a tiny, wavering voice. “Old Docker’s a right foal when he’s had a few too many. You ain’t the first to send him flyin’. Doubt you’ll be the last. Please, accept my apologies for his lack o’ manners. He didn’t mean nothin’ by it.”

Garnet’s instincts flared up. She’d been to enough inns and taverns to know if she rejected this little peace offering, the clientele of the establishment might take offense. Which wouldn’t end well for her.

So, she lifted the mug with her telekinesis and mimed a sip. She nodded at the barkeep and a collective sigh washed through the room.

“Thank you kindly, young miss,” the barkeep replied as he wiped the sweat from his brow. “You need anything tonight, you just let me know. Old Docker’s covering your tab, though he don’t know it yet.”

Garnet cracked a small smile and nodded in reply. The barkeep wandered back to his bar and Garnet glanced over to the table with the pegasus, the batpony and the deer. All three were staring at her.

Time to get this over with.

Garnet checked the mug for any sort of taint, found nothing and took a pull. She smacked her lips. Surprisingly, it wasn’t half bad.

She still needed another swig before she got her hooves moving toward the table.

The final crash was enough to send Sunset scampering from what had once been a guest bedroom. With a quick flash of magic, she slammed the door closed and took in a deep breath… which immediately prompted another coughing fit. After it finally subsided, she peered over the balcony railing onto the first floor.

To her utter shock, she saw Minuette happily sweeping while humming some bizarre little tune about sweeping. Twinkleshine was tidying up her dining room table and setting up chairs around it. Even Lemon Hearts was in on it. Sunset watched as the yellow unicorn assembled some sort of dire dust bunny before chucking it into a trashcan with a savage throw of her magic.

Sunset wasn’t sure how long she stood there, watching three ponies she didn’t even know clean her house. She stared open-mouthed as they did a really good job of it. Before Sunset knew it, the living room looked cleaner than it had all summer. A few moments later, Sunset finally snapped out of her reverie just as Minuette began to unpack her saddlebags to set up an O&O game.

“What…” Sunset managed to finally say as she wandered down the stairs, trying to look everywhere at once. “What… what are you doing?

Minuette looked up at her with a smile. “Why, setting things up, of course! Being helpful! That’s what friends do!”

“She keeps using that word,” Lemon Hearts grumbled. “I do not think it means what she thinks it means.”

Though it hurt to admit it, Sunset had to agree with Lemon Hearts. Minuette’s words just… didn’t make sense.

“Why?” Sunset demanded, staring at the blue unicorn suspiciously. “I didn’t do anything for you.”

Minuette cocked her head. “So?”

Sunset blinked, feeling as if somepony was screwing with a gravity spell. “That… that’s not how things work!”

“You’ve lost me, Sunny.”

A pounding started to grow in her skull, directly on her left temple as she rubbed her eyes, trying to process what was happening. “I didn’t do anything for you. Why are you doing something for me? I understand why you’re here, you’re helping Moon Dancer and the Princess. You were asked and ordered to do that. But… I’m sure neither of them told you to help clean up my house.”

“They didn’t need to ask, just like you didn’t need to do anything. You needed help. We helped. It’s that simple.”

“No, it’s not!” Sunset shouted, slamming her hoof down on the bottom stair. “That’s not how the world works!

“You said that already.”

“Ponies don’t just do things randomly for other ponies,” Sunset stated. “The only reason Moon Dancer stood up for me was to repay me for what I did for her throughout the year and—”

Minuette’s jaw dropped. “You don’t… you can’t actually believe that?”

Sunset blinked, nonplussed. “Yeah… of… course…”

That… but that doesn’t make sense. Then why did I take her to see the Princess? The Hall of History? Why’d I steal some Moon Lanterns for her? Okay, yes, it could be stated that I did that in repayment of the debt I owed her for saving me from Slate. But… that doesn’t seem right.

“You don’t, do you?” Minuette asked quietly as she walked toward Sunset. Some part of her distantly noticed Minuette was approaching her like somepony would approach a terrified animal. “At least… not fully.”

“But… that’s what I’ve seen… that’s how the entire nobility works. That’s how business works. Supply and demand. Exchange. Barter.”

“We’re not talking about politics or economics, Sunny,” Minuette said. She was still smiling, but it was a small, comforting smile now. “We’re talking about friendship. Because I don’t think even you believe that your new friendship with Moon Dancer is anything as cold and dry as what you just described. Do you?”

Sunset stared at the floor before shaking her head.

“Then why is it so hard to believe that others might do similar things?”

“Because of what I did to you,” Sunset mumbled. “Shouldn’t I need to earn something like this?”

“Not for me,” Minuette said. Sunset could even hear her smile.

“You do for me. For us, I mean.”

Sunset looked up to see—shockingly—Lemon Hearts glaring at her.

“No, she doesn’t!” Minuette chirped in a voice a bit too cheerful. “After all, we’re all here to have fun! It’s game time!”

“Minuette, this is crazy.” Sunset shook her head. “Anyway, I, uh, I don’t do games.”

“Why not?”

“You’re annoyingly direct sometimes.”

“Thanks! Now, why doesn’t the great and powerful Sunset Shimmer do games?”

“Because…” Sunset’s mind raced as she tried to come up with some way to get these crazy ponies out of her house. “Because…”

Why do you want them out of your house?

“Because they’re a waste of time!” Sunset nearly shouted.

That’s just sad.

Sunset reflected how annoying it was when she couldn’t tell who was ‘talking’ in her head: that angry little pony or herself.

“That sounds a lot like the Sunset Shimmer I remember,” Lemon Hearts growled. “Too damn busy for anypony else.”

Something snapped inside Sunset as she rounded on Lemon Hearts.

“Okay, that’s enough!” Sunset growled. “You’re in my house and you’re just—”

Sunset stopped and took a long breath, forcing herself to get somewhere near the realm of calm. She didn’t really get there, but at least she could see it from where she ended up. If she squinted.

Well, squinted really hard.

Minuette hesitated before she stepped aside and let Sunset slowly approach Lemon Hearts. The yellow mare didn’t back down. Sunset could see her tensing, as if ready to actually get in a wrestling match or something. Sunset finally looked into the mare’s eyes. She couldn’t really tell what Lemon Hearts was thinking behind the anger. But in the end, maybe it didn’t matter.

Moon Dancer went first for me. So, I guess… it’s my turn?

It helped that Sunset knew exactly why Lemon Hearts hated her.

“I’m sorry about what happened with Green Fields.”

Lemon Hearts froze. “What?”

“Look, I knew you had a crush on him at the beginning of the year. You weren’t exactly subtle. But what I did and how I manipulated things to make him think of you more as a—” Lemon Hearts’s eyes flashed and Sunset waved a hoof. “Sorry, we… we don’t need specifics. For me… it was just another way of making sure I stayed in control. I needed to keep everypony divided. Keep the cliques in place. With everypony divided, nopony could stand up to me. And had the bonus of winning me the crown that year.”

“And that makes it right?” Lemon Hearts shouted.

“No!” Sunset cried. “No! That’s what I’m saying! I’m sorry! I was a total… I was a total jerk, okay?”

“Not the word I would use.”

“The Princess wants me to watch my swearing,” Sunset muttered. “Otherwise I have to put a bit into a stupid little swear jar.”
Lemon Hearts didn’t react to that, but Sunset was sure somepony in the room snorted.

“I can’t change what I did,” Sunset admitted. “But I can apologize. So that’s what I’m doing.”

“And you think that’s going to fix it?”

Sunset shrugged. “I don’t know. But I know that you and me yelling at each other isn’t going to help anything.”
Lemon Hearts clenched her jaw and tried to glare her into a small pile of ash. Sunset could only guess the yellow unicorn was trying to figure out if Sunset was being sincere or not.

Sunset just looked back at Lemon Hearts, forcing herself not to put on a mask. She forced herself to be sincere. She forced herself to keep that angry little pony in her head restrained.

That little pony was bucking hard at the restraints.

“No.”

“Lemon…” Minuette moaned.

“Don’t you ‘Lemon’ me, Minuette,” Lemon Hearts snarled. “Shimmer here needs to learn that words can’t fix everything. It takes more than words. And there aren’t enough words in the world to undo what happened that year.”

Sunset wasn’t quite sure how to react or what to think. She didn’t have a clue what to do. After all, Lemon Hearts was right. Sunset couldn’t just fix everything with a few words.

“Lemon Hearts,” Twinkleshine said, speaking up for the first time in what felt like hours. “Give her a chance.”

Lemon Hearts’s eyes narrowed, but she didn’t look away from Sunset. “I don’t think so. She may have convinced the two of you she’s changed, but I’m not falling for it.”

Minuette let out a sigh and Sunset realized with a glance that her eternal smile had actually faded… and transformed into a frown. It was… unsettling to say the least.

“I’ll pack up your things then,” Minuette said as she picked up a small batpony figurine from the table.

“No.”

“What?” Twinkleshine said. “What do you mean ‘no.’”

“I mean no.” If anything, Lemon Hearts’s glare intensified. “I’m not leaving two of my best friends alone with Sunset Shimmer.”

“Lemon Hearts,” Minuette said patiently. “I’m going to be running an O&O game. Sunny—” Twitch. “—is going to be playing. You know you’re one of my closest friends, but I’m not going to have you just stalking around us as we try and play.”

“Oh, I’m going to play.” Lemon Hearts's voice was almost vicious. “I’m definitely going to play.”

Finally, Sunset found her voice. “Why?”

“Because I want to be here when you screw up, Shimmer. I want to be here when they realize what you really are.”

Sunset felt an odd twinge of déjà vu as a pair of cold, steel-gray eyes flashed in her memory.

“Great attitude, Lemon,” Twinkleshine groaned. “At least roleplaying your character will be easy.”

“I can roleplay Nightblossom at any time or any place,” Lemon Hearts snapped back.

“I know.” Twinkleshine rolled her eyes. “That’s the problem.”

“So, you’re actually going to stay?” Sunset asked, just to be sure.

“Absolutely.” With that, Lemon Hearts marched to the far side of the dining room table and plopped down. “Because I don’t trust you. And I’m sure that your true colors will show soon enough.”

“Thanks for the vote of confidence,” Sunset muttered. Until that moment, she didn’t think she’d wished that Moon Dancer were here so badly.

“Well, Lemon,” Minuette said with a shrug as she settled down behind the Dungeon Master’s screen. “If you’re sure, that’s fine, but keep your fights in-character. You know the rules.”

“‘Keep the drama in the game,’” Lemon Hearts said, as if reciting from rote. “Yeah, yeah.”

Twinkleshine stared at Lemon Hearts for a few seconds before taking the seat opposite from Minuette, leaving Sunset the seat facing the yellow unicorn.

“One last thing,” Minuette said as she turned to Sunset. “I need to know something, Sunny.”

Twitch. “Stop calling me that.”

“I hope you don’t mind me asking, but I just really want to know…”

“What?” Sunset rolled her eyes.

“Does the Princess actually keep a swear jar for you?”

Sunset facehoofed.

“Yes. And before you ask, last time I checked, she told me the current contents were about the quarter of the revenue of the city of Fillydelphia last year.”

All three mares stared at her with open mouths.

“She does… exaggerate sometimes.”

Minuette cracked up so hard she actually fell out of her chair. Twinkleshine just giggled for a bit. Even Lemon Hearts snorted, but she was obviously fighting the hint of a smile trying to appear on her muzzle.

“Yeah, yeah, laugh it up,” Sunset muttered. “Now somepony give me some dice.”

Author's Note:

“The Princess wants me to watch my swearing,” Sunset muttered. “Otherwise I have to put a bit into a stupid little swear jar.”

Beltorn: Sunset uses "awkward and adorable" on Lemon Hearts. LH is not amused.
Ebon: "It's not very effective..."
Novel: That's because she's not Twilight. Twilight has +15 to Adorkable.


If you come across any errors, please let me know by PM!