• Published 30th Nov 2011
  • 4,767 Views, 28 Comments

The Day After Nightmare Night - PotatoJoe



Candy is Dandy, but Legal Disputes are...complicated.

  • ...
1
 28
 4,767

Story

Celestia was not the type to be nervous.

After more than a thousand years of life, she met few situations that put her on edge. She had either seen it and become used to it or knew she could overcome it. What “it” was rarely mattered - the only times she could think of this century was thirty years ago, when one of her academies teachers she had only moderate faith in had confused a map to a dragons lair for the map to a grotto of gemstones and taken a class of foals there for a lesson.

The dragon had turned out to be Diamondclaw, who she knew well. The old wyrm had taken the intrusion in stride and assisted in teaching the foals how to identify jewels at a glance.

The other time had been almost a year ago on the night her possessed sister returned. She had been forced to hide while her most trusted and talented student fought the Nightmare, something that had driven Celestia near mad with worry. Twilight was a rare unicorn - only Starswirl the Bearded could count her as an equal in power - and had triumphed with the aid of her new friends, but Celestia had never worried about that - she had worried of what would happen to her sister once the Nightmare had been banished.

Would Luna return? She had not even dared to hope.

Would Luna be slain? This, she had feared above all else.

Celestia had spent the evening waiting for Nightmare Moon to be banished to the moon again, to spend another thousand years suffering. When guard arrived and she was informed of victory, she had sped with all possible haste - she had to show support for her student, regardless of her personal misery.

She had expected to either be cursed to another thousand years wait or an eternity without her sister.

When she had found Luna, alive and freed from her curse, she had only kept her dignity out of shock. She had embraced her younger sister and they had forgiven each other and returned to Canterlot. Celestia had been eager to take her sister to their private chambers - Celestia had insisted that a room equal to hers be made for her sister when the castle was built, if only for her own peace of mind - so that she could properly beg for her sisters forgiveness.

They had not had time - Equestria had been thrown into chaos when the night had not broken, and Celestia was forced to attend to the disarray. Luna had excused herself and hidden in her chambers for the following days.

And when Celestia had finished Equestria’s repairs, she found her sister busied in her ancient works.

While Celestia had guided the moon in her sisters stead, she had never had the skill to control the heavens above. Her sister had returned to find the stars in disarray, the meteors and comets running wild, and the constellations unkept. Celestia had been stunned to find that the reason so many of the Ursa Major in Equestria were hostile was that the one in the sky’s stomach had drifted, making it look overweight, and that it’s ears were crooked.

Luna had always been the one to calm the monsters. Celestia had understood the animals and ponies, but the dragons and Ursa’s, gryphons and hydra’s, diamond dogs and cockatrices, those had been Luna’s children. Once her younger sister had finished with the stars she had been stunned by the state of the beasts - a dragon had tried to nap next to Ponyville! Diamond Dogs were kidnapping unicorns to search for gems, having forgotten that they could simply smell them! The gryphons had become so scattered they were dying out from simply being unable to find mates!

Celestia had been forced to wait several more months as her sister darted around the land, visiting those who lived in the shadowed lands. They had reacted to their princess returning better than Celestia could have ever done. Celestia had some rapport with them, but it was not the same.

Luna had faced the coarse and rude gryphons and told them in no uncertain terms that they were to return to their old mountains and breed. When they had been offended, she had simply cracked a few beaks and they went - Celestia would have tried diplomacy and failed. When Rumble, a massive earth dragon, had been scratching up farmland looking for gems to eat, she had directed him to the gem rich territory of a less desirable dragon who remembered the days of Discord fondly and still claimed ponies were fair prey, then allied with Rumble to ensure the dragons defeat. When a cockatrice had lost one of her chicks near the Everfree forest she had scolded the unwise mother and threatened that “ if she cannot keep her nest in order, her future eggs would simply need to be scrambled.”

They were not perfect solutions, but they were more effective than Celestia could have managed with the monsters. When, finally, the monsters had been put in order, Celestia had thought she would finally have a chance to see her sister.

But then, Luna heard of Nightmare Night.

That had been a week ago and since then, Luna had been busied. She’d decided to attend the celebrations as Celestia would the Summer Sun Celebration, and chose Ponyville for the site of her visit. Celestia had been at a loss of how to explain to Luna what the night meant - the fear of Nightmare Moon - and found herself growing in dread. Luna had left after raising the moon, leaving Celestia behind.

While Celestia and her sister did not require sleep, it was refreshing. Celestia had been able to sleep only rarely during the time without her sister but since the return and her sisters retaking of the nighttime duties, Celestia had missed few nights of rest. That Nightmare Night, she had tried to sleep, wishing to avoid the worry that awaited her.

Wishing to avoid explaining to her sister why, for a thousand years, Celestia had allowed a festival where Luna was seen as a monster.

Wishing to avoid thoughts of her sister once again becoming Nightmare Moon after rejection by ponykind.

Celestia, who so rarely had felt anxiety, had not been able to rest or focus the entire night. She had paced the palace grounds - to her guards obvious concern - and had been unable to keep herself from looking constantly towards Ponyville, half expecting to see the start of a magical battle between the Elements and her sister.

It was minutes to dawn when her guard informed her her sister had returned. Celestia raced to the courtroom to meet her sister, dreading and yet needing the confrontation. They had to put away the moon and raise the sun, but there was more to it than that - Celestia had to know if Luna was okay.

She felt like she was a foal again, racing to see if Luna had been injured by one of Discords tricks.

“ Luna!” she called out, causing the guards in the courtroom to jump. Celestia looked about the room - there was no sign of her sister. “ Where is my sister!” she bellowed, not caring for decorum as her attending unicorn advisor cowered.

“ S-she is still traveling down the hall, your m-m-majesty!” stammered the mare, nearly dropping the scroll and quill she had brought in case the Princesses needed something dictated. “ She will be here within m-moments.”

Celestia would apologize later. She turned to the large double doors that covered the entry hall and waited - soon, her sister would return. Soon, she would know. Soon, her fears might be realized and her sister would grow more distant, or worse.

There came a knock and the doors were open by the two of the dark coated pegasi that her sister claimed as personal guards. A moment later a train Luna’s guards began to march in, each carrying a bag of some sort with their mouths. Luna herself entered a moment later, levitating two bags and carrying other herself.

“ Sister! I hath had a wonderful time at the nights festivities!” she called out, dropping the bag in her mouth clumsily. She was quieter - not using the old Royal Canterlot voice she had used in the few times Celestia had been able to speak with her. “ We shall be able to partake in candies for weeks to come!”

Celestia, the immortal coregeant of Equestria, blinked, as her giddy sister began to dig though her supply of candy, picking out a wrapped chocolate in the shape of the moon.

“ Ha ha! Despair, Equestria, your wicked princess hath devoured the moon!” laughed Luna, struggling to unwrap the tinfoilied treat and eating it with glee. “ Beware! She may hunger yet!”

Celestia glanced to her advisor, who had dropped her scroll and jaw at the bizarre scene.

“ Sister, doth thou enjoy still enjoy strawberry?” asked Luna, walking towards her sister and floating several pieces of candy in front of her. She appeared to be examining which to eat next. “ For I possess several pieces of Sir Laffy’s taffyied fruit snacks and have found the strawberry not to my liking. Though, I must profess my love for his banana, which is far more pleasing to mine tongue.”

Celestia couldn’t help it. She snorted.

“ Sister, pray tell what is wrong?” asked Luna, looking at her with confusion.

“ I do still like strawberry.” said Celestia, recovering and accepting the pink taffy. She felt relief flowing though her body - her feathers spread, her neck muscles unclenched, and a smile crept across her face. She opened the candy far quicker than her sister and ate it.

“ Sister, there is a message in this wrapping!” declared Luna, inspecting the wrapper as she chewed on the banana flavored candy. “ A riddle! Oh, how clever ponies hath become to pair food and entertainment to simply! .....ah, but it asks me of something I do not understand. What is a refrigerator? And what peril would there be in it standing still?”

“ Sister, we should attend to the moon and sun first.” said Celestia, returning her sisters mind to the matters at hand. “ Then, we may discuss things at leisure over breakfast.”

“ Ah, you are ever wiser than I, sister!” said Luna with a smile. “ Guards! Have my bounty of candies taken to the dining hall! I shall feast on them this day.”

Celestia smiled and lead her sister onwards to the throne room, glad the Nightmare Night seemed to have passed well enough.

++++++

“ ‘twas your student Twilight who must thank for lessons in more modern language.” said Luna, gabbing happily with a gobfull of gobstoppers. Celestia noted that her sister might require more modern etiquette lessons, using a levitated glass to avoid some spittle.

So far, the breakfast was one that was sure to keep the royal court talking for days. Luna had been reclusive and quiet since her return and had acted so prim and proper in her time around Canterlot that many had dismissed how she had dealt with the beasts of Equestria as exaggerations. After all, who could believe anypony who still spoke in the Royal Canterlot Voice would relocate the Diamond Dogs to richer mines by kicking them unconscious and dragging them there, then shown them how to smell for gemstones by sniffing though the ground herself?

But now, Luna was eating candies for breakfast in the royal dining hall with pauses only to down a goblet of orange juice ( Delicious! Bring us more! ) or coffee ( We like it! Bring us more!) or honeyed mead.

She’d asked for a whole cask of the mead.

“ Though, ‘tis likely my progress was merely in my volume.” Luna stated honestly, her eyes focused on a small pouch of candied fruits. “ Tell me, sister, how doth one open these - these - things?”

“ Luna, would you not like some breakfast?” asked Celestia, indicating the oatmeal and apples in front of her, long untouched. The servants around the hall whispered and watched. “ If you eat too much candy you will feel sick.”

“ Truly?” Luna said, wide eyed with surprise. She glanced at the package again, still suspended over her head. “ Pray tell, sister, doth thou mean that?”

“ I do, and nearly anypony in Equestria will be tell you the same.” said Celestia, indicating the staff. They nodded. Luna looked to her guards, who stood to the side of her tablespace. They agreed. “ The morning after Nightmare Night, most foals overindulge in candy and find that one can eat too many sweets.”

“ Sweets?” said Luna, confused. She looked to her sister, then realization crossed her face. “ Oh, more modern Equestrian. Servant, fetch me Sours! And Salts! And press the porter to bring that cask of mead!”

Celestia rolled her eyes as her sister returned to work on the package, her tongue stuck out as she focused. It would take more than her suggestion to change her little sisters mind.

“ Luna, you have not yet held court.” said Celestia, changing subject. She would return to the candy soon enough - a master politician needed to distract ones targets. “ Though you have spent much time abroad.”

“ Thy lands have needed my hoof.” said Luna, the plastic wrapping warping as her eye twitched. “ And I do not imagine you will need me to hold court, sister. Ponies come to us during the day, while you reign. Come night, Canterlot’s halls are asleep.”

“ Canterlot’s halls sleep, but its city does not. Have you not gone outside at night?”

“ Nay, sister.” said Luna, looking up at her. The package ripped, spraying candies over the table. “ Not around Canterlot. The guard fires doth hide my stars.”

“ But in Canterlot alone, there are many things for a pony to do at night.” said Celestia. “ You could visit the nighttime classes at the academy of magic. You could visit the astronomy towers and confer with the ponies who work there. They would find you most fascinating - “

“ Ah, you wish me to grow closer to our subjects.” said Luna, catching on quickly. “ I-I may visit your astronomers, but they are of the few ponies who watch my stars. I hath little to speak of with other ponies.”

“ Then you could visit the cafes and libraries, which are open throughout the nights.” continued Celestia. Her sister, who’s smile had flagged a little as she spoke, perked up. “ Many of the more intellectual ponies find the quiet and beauty of the night helps them think. Or, if you wish to see more of modern Equestria, there are musical events, theaters, and markets - “

“ Markets which run at night?” said Luna, cocking and eyebrow. “ Sister, tell me you hath not told the peasants to stay up all night for my sake.”

“ I ‘hath’ not, sister.” said Celestia, noting the servants coming into view. They had brought fresh food - some ‘Sours’ in the form of grapefruit and some “Salts” in the form of porridge. “ They have done it for some time. A thousand years ago ponies slept during the night, but they needed the rest. Everything from farming to crafting storms has been refined and practiced since then and requires less from them. They work during the day and play during the night.”

“ M-my night is the time for merriment?” said Luna, obviously shocked. She noticed her new breakfast and began to pick at it, not paying much attention. “ Sister, surely, you flatter my night.”

“ The Grand Galloping Gala was held at night, sister.” said Celestia, taking another bite of her breakfast and edging her sister on. At her prompting, Luna began to eat her porridge. “ This night in Manehattan there is a symphony performing the “ Stormcloud Suite” and many other classical pegasus works. Or one could go to the museum nextdoor and see a number of classical paintings - they have a show of d’Hoof in what is called the “ Sky Room”, which has a glass ceiling. Many critics agree that his work should be viewed both under the sun and the stars and draws as great a crowd during the day as the night.”

“ Hold, sister.” said Luna, milk dribbling down her chin as she spoke. Celestia levitated her a napkin, which her sister took and used roughly. “ I thank you for what you art saying, but you boast. Should ponies do so much during the night, they would be tired for even easy work during the day.”

“ Which explains the popularity of coffee.” said Celestia under her breath. “ I’ll leave you with my word if you promise that I may take you to see these sights tonight.”

“ Agreed, sister.” said Luna with a smile.

“ And would you join me in court today?” asked Celestia, making it sound offhand. “ It would be good for you to at least know how modern Canterlot runs, even if you have little use for the knowledge.”

“ Aye, sister.” Luna said with a nod. “ I shall join you shortly.” There was a mischievous look in her eye. Celestia smirked and drew her head close to her sisters ear.

“ And don’t think I don’t know you’ll scarf down as much candy as you can the moment I leave the hall.” Celestia whispered with a smirk, causing Luna a slight grimace. “ I warned you, sister. Too much candy is a foalish mistake.”

Celestia left her sister and headed to the courtroom, finding her assistants and advisors wait at the door. Glancing inside, she could already see a number of applicants. What caught her eye was the third set, which was made of two groups - a number of gryphons who were eying the castle dubiously and a group of grumpy pegasi, both of which were shooting each other nasty glares. It was rare to see gryphons in court and she wondered if they had perhaps cut in line.

If so, it was good Luna was to be present.

“ I limited myself to three pieces, sister.” said Luna curtly, trotting up to the door. A slight smudge of chocolate was still on her lips. “ What sacrifices I make for our land.”

“ Truly, sister, you are a river for your people.” Celestia quipped back.

“ The Royal Court of Celestia is now in session!” proclaimed an elderly unicorn, unfurling several large scrolls onto the podium the Princesses would stand behind. “ In attendance are Princesses Celestia and Luna!”

There was polite clopping as they entered. Luna’s manners in the dining hall had been replaced by the regal strut to match Celestia's. There were a number of murmurs among the applicants and servants, and several surprised squaks from the gryphons.

The first set of applicants went quickly - a simple request for royal notarization on the sale of a large tract of farmland from one branch of the Apple family to another. Unusual for the court, but the Apples were famously protective of their lands - if they owned it, they wanted there to be no other possible claim on it. Luna payed a little attention, but said nothing.

The second set was more complicated. A number of unicorns claimed to have created a spell independently of each other, but had filed for inventorship at the same time. Luna payed little attention as Celestia listened to their stories and weighed the truths and lies. In the end, none had definitive proof that their research had been stolen or that they had true claim to being first. Celestia had requested they return in a week to allow the court to look up precedent - which often meant checking if the spell already existed but had fallen out of general tutelage.

As the third set came forth, Celestia felt her sister join them.

“ Chancellor?” asked Celestia, looking to the unicorn who had set the scroll of the case out for them.

“ The pegasi represent the weather control teams for the area around the Aerie mountains. They have been on strike for two weeks while their union re-negotiates their dental plan. The gryphons have accepted weather control work - “

“ Scabs!” shouted one of the pegasi, earning him several glares.

“ - as part of an attempt to keep the local wind and storms under control. They are contesting the gryphons employment by claiming it to be a union-busting method.”

“ Chancellor, what is this “union?” asked Luna, speaking for the first time.

“ Your highness, a union is a group of similarly employed workers banded together for mutual support. They typically organize attempts to secure pay raises and additional workers rights.”

“ And who hath they struck?” Luna asked again.

“ A “strike” is a term for when members of a union refuse to work to try to force their employers hoof when negotiating.”

“ This ‘strike’ sounds just short of open rebellion.” said Luna, looking surprised. The pegasi looked uncomfortable. “ Sister, what is the norm in such a conflict?”

“ I would try and find a common ground between the gryphons and pegasi.” answered Celestia. She was rather hoping her sister would try to solve this one on her own - it may get her more involved if she got used to making decisions.

“ See, yer highness.” spoke the largest of the gryphons, a large old bird with grey feathers and a white eye. He stepped forwards, his claws clacking on the marble floor. “ Since your rather infamous decree we’re having some money problems. The hens don’t want to start a nest without a little cash to line it - bits for food, and ribbons, and warming lights for the eggs. So they screeched at us to get jobs - fine, we go get jobs. But ponies have the bits and they don’t like their jobs being took. We work as applepickers - ponies say we’re putting the seasonal buckers out of work. We work as cooks, ponies complain that their vegetarians - like a little meat would hurt ‘em. Finally, this gig opens up catching cumulus - ooh, but the dolts who quit that job don’t want us to have it.”

“ I judge thy actions fair. EXECUTE THE REBELS!”

Celestia’s eyes bulged almost as much as the pegasi’s did. There mere stunned murmurs around the room as Luna stood there, hoof raised, obviously expecting the guards to have taken action. The lead gryphon had a stunned smile on his face while the others squawked in laughter.

“ Luna, we don’t execute ponies.” said Celestia, recovering a few moments later. “ This isn’t some armed rebellion. They’ve used a legal method to try and improve their lives and are protesting the countereffort.”

“ ....oh.” said Luna after several moments passed. “ Then tell me, wouldst thy union be open to the gryphons? With my proclamation to encourage fertility I hath not foreseen the monetary needs of raising young.”

“ T-that would probably stretch the work rather thin.” said the lead pegasus. “ We wouldn’t have enough work for full shifts, so ponies would be making less - they gryphons would too. We could take some of them, though - we were somewhat shorthoofed before the strike and were working long hours without great benefits. Thats one of the reasons we decided it was time for action.”

“ Then take whom you can. Gryphons, I will present you with bits from my personal coffers to line thine nests for the time being whilst those unable to join this union look for new work. There must be other weather teams shorthoofed whom could use thine claws, and should there be any still looking for work when thine eggs hatch, send them to Canterlot. I myself willst employ them as my own royal guard.”

The courtroom filled with talking and the sounds of scribes recording these proclamations as the gryphons and pegasi departed, walking closer and being to talk. Celestia drew her sister close.

“ Luna, you can’t have need for more guards.” asked Celestia, relieved her sister had seen a more enlightened solution but worried at some of her choices.

“ And I shan’t have them, sister.” said Luna with a coy smile. “ Gryphons bore easily, like cats, and love to soar on the winds like eagles. They would find such a role as a threat and seek any alternative. Though, one thing worries me.”

“ Yes?” asked Celestia.

“ I hath coffers, aye?” said Luna, looking worried.

“ Yes, sister.” said Celestia with a laugh.

Comments ( 28 )

Good please continue:moustache:

45371

Alright. Any prompt you'd like to see? If you don't have one yourself, give me two dog names, your favorite color, and the place the Royal Plumber will be found in during Luna's afternoon misadventures.

Hmmmmm spots Murphy white and water closet

Wow this is gold i really need more of this. Also for some reason as i read i felt that luna had a Scottish accent that made it even more hilarious :rainbowlaugh:

45393

THY WILL BE DONE. It, could, uh, take a few days. Sorry. Finals week.

Looking forward to it and if it is anything like this one.THERE.WILL.BE.LOLing:moustache:

#7 · Nov 30th, 2011 · · ·

Yup Please Do!

Can you please remove the complete tag please :scootangel:

Loved it.

Loved it, need MOAR!

Quite good, I must admit my desire to read quite a bit more of it like say maybe ten or fifteen more chapters or a slew of related stories? I can understand if you do not wish to continue, but I and many others would rather appreciate it, also I'm in college myself so I can completely understand how annoying finals week can be, it's the week before finals for me but I've got two of them this week anyway and another two next week

45699 Hey, not sure I can do ten or fifteen more stories, but I'll try to do some more! Finals is teh wuesrt, ain't they?

To quote a late 1800's steel conglomerate tycoon, "BRILLIANT"!

45728 yeah they are, but at least they mean that we get to have a few weeks off from school

This is hilarious! Just wondering... is this still incomplete? Because I don't mind if it's already completed.

48048 There are currently two more planned chapters - one that takes place during lunchtime and one that takes place during dinner, which will give the fic a "day" length. Also, a midnight-snack based epiloge.

#18 · Dec 3rd, 2011 · · ·

Oh yes please more Royal Court scenes!

i never could understand the adoration this fandom has for luna. until now!!! theres so much awesome luna quotes in here. i shall follow this until the very ends of the earth! i mean, ends of the story. :twilightblush:
i shall present you with stars! :moustache:

This is brilliant. :rainbowlaugh:
On a side note and a bit off: No Luna emote? HERESY!!

Now this one is right on the mark.
I can't have been the only one to have been taken off guard by Luna's personality--- they took away Little Luna and brought back Brian Blessed in a horse suit.


“ See, yer highness.” spoke the largest of the gryphons, a large old bird with grey feathers and a white eye. He stepped forwards, his claws clacking on the marble floor. “ Since your rather infamous decree we’re having some money problems. The hens don’t want to start a nest without a little cash to line it - bits for food, and ribbons, and warming lights for the eggs. So they screeched at us to get jobs - fine, we go get jobs. But ponies have the bits and they don’t like their jobs being took. We work as applepickers - ponies say we’re putting the seasonal buckers out of work. We work as cooks, ponies complain that their vegetarians - like a little meat would hurt ‘em. Finally, this gig opens up catching cumulus - ooh, but the dolts who quit that job don’t want us to have it.”

“ I judge thy actions fair. EXECUTE THE REBELS!”

That portion is quite simply one of the greatest moments in FiM Fanfiction EVER. No exceptions. Great work.

Luna payed a little attention, but said nothing.
should be paid

EXECUTE THY REBELS.

It is now an official quote for Luna. Just watch, it's gonna be a thing :pinkiecrazy:

EXECUTE THE REBELS

*fell out of my computer chair, busted my skull on my bedside table. Thrice, because I couldn't stop belly-laughing. Had to stop to wipe up blood off of bedside table, floor, bed, and myself. Comedy GENIUS*

Very cute! I loved seeing this more playful side of Luna, especially with all the candy. :twilightsmile:

“ Hold, sister.” said Luna, milk dribbling down her chin as she spoke. Celestia levitated her a napkin, which her sister took and used roughly. “ I thank you for what you art saying, but you boast. Should ponies do so much during the night, they would be tired for even easy work during the day.”

“ Which explains the popularity of coffee.” said Celestia under her breath

Drinking grape-juice as reading this.
REads Tia's line.
COUGH-COUGH.
Does self heimlic.
HAHAHAHAHAHA:rainbowlaugh:

Login or register to comment