• Published 7th Dec 2016
  • 6,334 Views, 91 Comments

"Shining? You Think Mom And Dad Might've Been Kidnapped By Ninjas?" - naturalbornderpy



"Most likely," Shining told his sister. "Why else would they be so late?" Thus began the night of a thousand fibs.

  • ...
10
 91
 6,334

Epilogue

Shining Armor shot awake in the darkness of the night, his thoughts flying straight to Flurry Heart. In his large bed, he sat up and turned to her crib, where not single peep could be heard. He then turned to his wife and found her very much the same.

He was momentarily puzzled, until he looked down and found the tip of his tail stuck in a sparkly aura. Based off its color, he whispered, “Twilight? Are you in here?”

Twilight lit her horn by the edge of his bed. She gave Shining’s tail another playful tug. “I’m asking you for another favor, Shining.”

He squinted at her, wiping sleep from his eyes. “One of what now?”

“I’m collecting my second boon.”

Then it finally clicked. That still didn’t mean Shining wanted to leave his overwhelming soft and warm bed, though. Turning onto his side, he yawned. “I’ll do whatever you want tomorrow, Twily. You and your friends are visiting all weekend, so… maybe after breakfast?”

By the tip of his tail, Shining was roughly lifted from his bed. He was left to spin upside down in the air, glaring at his sister.

“I liked it a lot better when I was the one doing this to you.”

***

Less than ten minutes later, Shining Armor’s second boon had been finished and paid for in full, stacked on a plate and blackened around the edges. On a couch inside her guest room, Shining sat beside his sister, a magically created fireplace roaring on the floor in front of them.

“You woke me up in the middle of the night just so I’d make you garlic toast?”

“What’s so wrong about that?” Twilight asked innocently, several crumbs stuck to her lips. “I felt like a snack.”

“The castle staff would’ve been happy to make you something if you’d asked.”

She smiled at him. “But no one burns bread quite like you do, big brother.”

The pair were silent for a while, enjoying the magically flickering flames on the ground. Eventually, Shining chuckled. “You do realize you wasted a perfectly good Board of Best Brothers boon on a plate of garlic toast, right?”

Twilight quickly picked up another slice to munch on. “First off, Shining: it’s Band of Best Brothers. Second: you’re forgetting I still have three boons left. I waited this long for my second one, hadn’t I?”

“Still…” Shining admitted quietly. “Not all that much of a wish, if you ask me.”

“Isn’t it?” Twilight said. “When was the last time we even did something like this? Sat by a fire and just spent time together eating something as simple as toast? Just you and I as brother and sister? No friends. No parents. No wife or baby or noble dignitary.”

Shining found he really had no good answer to that. Instead, he chose to focus on something else. “Remember when we were kids and I was the one saying how I’d always be the one protecting you? All because I was a member of some made up group? Look how that’s turned out: Discord, Chrysalis, Nightmare Moon, Tirek. Each and every one of them defeated by my little sister.”

“And what of all the things that you protected me from when we were kids?” Twilight asked earnestly. “Ninjas and overworked robots, hungry zombies and greedy breakfast mascots, dragons with a weird bro code.”

A small smile found Shining then. “Sounds awfully ridiculous when you say it out loud like that.”

Twilight edged across the couch to rest her head on Shining’s shoulder; same as she had all those years ago. “All I’m saying is that maybe it’s my turn to look after you. I mean, you do have Flurry Heart to look after now.”

“Look after her how? By telling her lies I make up on the spot?”

Twilight shook her head. “No, just by making her feel better; just by telling her what she needs to hear no matter how silly it may sound; by telling her stories that she’ll always hold onto and remember. And… and…”

Shining turned to her.

“And by giving her those three boons you still owe me,” she finished with a sigh. “I think right now she needs them more than I ever will. But I still got what I wanted, though. I still got my garlic toast. I still got my moment with my big brother again. Him and I and nopony else. So now I think it should be Flurry Heart’s turn to have a few wishes to call her own.”

“You sure you want to give those away, Twilight? Just like that?”

“I am.”

A pregnant pause followed that, and just when Shining thought that nothing more would be said that night, Twilight told him in a faint whisper, “I think I hear the grim reaper prowling around downstairs, Shiny. I think he’s searching for someone’s soul to steal.”

Shining wrapped a hoof around her shoulder to pull her close. “That’s an easy one. All you gotta do is take his cloak away when he’s not looking.”

“Because it’s the source of all his power?”

“Nah. He’s just left buck naked without it. Kinda puts a damper on the whole ‘soul collecting’ thing once everyone’s laughing at your boney butt.”

Twilight giggled, wrapping him up in a hug. “Never change, Shining. Never ever change.”

He returned the embrace. “Wouldn’t if I could.”

And as if precisely to spoil the tender moment with, Shining said, “I gave Flurry Heart a glass of water today.”

“Oh. Okay. Why?”

“Because she was a little horse.”

Twilight took a moment. “How long you been holding onto that one?”

Shining smiled. “What feels like a lifetime.”

Author's Note:

So this is basically a rip off of Neil Gaiman's "Fortunately, the Milk" which I read for the first time a few days ago. It involved a father going out for milk and later making up a wild story about why it took him so long to tell to his children.

I wasn't planning on getting all mushy at the end until it sort of happened without my control. That's just sort of the way stories work sometimes. For better and for worse.

Comments ( 54 )

Ah, I see the battle standard has been raised. :ajbemused:

I shall meet you and your clearly-destined-for-greatness cuteness overload on the battlefield of the Feature Box! :rainbowdetermined2:

This pretty much captures the essence of big-brother-hood. :rainbowlaugh:

Show, don't tell.

And as if precisely to spoil the tender moment with, Shining said, “I gave Flurry Heart a glass of water today.”

Oh. Okay. Why?”

“Because she was a little horse.”

I audibly groaned

One of the best slice of lifes' ever! Congrats, you earned yourself a favourite!

7776510
Sweet Celestia I called it. :rainbowlaugh:

7777571
Or worse, what if it's DISCOUNT Cereal Mascots?!

I know not what wellspring you tap for these funny adorable stories, merely that if you sold it by the thermos, you could make a fortune. +)

A funny, wholesome fic finally is in the feature box, instead of tasteless smut?
quickmeme.com/img/98/98b39b21ff008afaa5cba1e79fc611b2ddb64b3f44f57e792397c517768f4433.jpg

Fronking amazing.

Always the best author. Welcome back derpy-senpai, and I hope you never change.

Adorable, and a great way to cap off the story. Only thing is, it wasn't Twilight who defeated Chrysalis, either time (not sure if this is pre/post S6 finale). First time was Shining/Cadance, second was Starlight/Thorax. A minor quibble in the end.

7777859
7778039

The fact a Robin Williams meme showed up right below someone with a Genie avatar makes me cry happy memory tears on top of the laughter tears I already had. Thank you both and the author too!:pinkiesad2:

7778169 I still want to be Deacon

7777859
And it's in the top shelf no less... it's official. CLOPERS! LISTEN UP!

I do quite enjoy the 'Calvin's Dad' approach to raising kids. Twilight was critical and sharp even at that age, eh? And good old Shining Armor, he's such a sweetheart. :rainbowkiss:

This was an adorable and hilarious story, especially with this epilogue.

That was a cute, funny, and heartwarming story to read, especially when it's the middle of a night while it's raining outside. :twilightsmile: :heart: I love it when Twilight and Shining gets to have a fun time together while using their imaginations.

No offense but I'm getting tired of seeing shorts get spotlight. Anyone else agree? I need more content than a five minute read.

DumbDog
Moderator

7779911

I see where you're coming from, but personally, I love them. Especially when they're consistently high-quality like NBD's work. Georg does it. Monochromatic does it. And quite a few other talented authors. They're short and great! I can't really find the time to sit down for a long fic, so one-shots are a staple for me. And that may give you some insight too: the reason these one-shots are popular is because they're "short and sweet." I know a lot of readers love these short fics because they don't have to invest into a long fic either because they don't have the time or they have other long stories they're committed too. So, if you're wondering why these cutesie stories 5k or less have found a niche in the featured box, it's because there's a market. Same goes for clop but I'd much rather have adorable fluff or a sad short or a quick laugh over clop. :twilightblush:

If you're referring to him specifically, yeah, sure! I'd love to see some longer stuff from him. I'd love to see something like Sombra the Highly Unmotivated or some of his earliest chapter stories.

7780098 Not him. Just when I get in a mood to read and I'm finished in less than ten minutes, leave me in a conundrum. Now I have to search for more things to read. That's the only issue. Been trying to find the hidden gems here. You know? like series wise to keep me going?

7780098 Also good to see you Chappy. Expcet seeing me more often now on site. I think my vacation's done.

7778758 Thanks for saying so! :pinkiehappy: Glad you enjoyed it.

7778686 Thank you! :twilightsmile:

7778664 You've discovered my secret! That I can't write kids, so they all sound like adults! :unsuresweetie:

7778310 I haven't even watched the finale yet, actually... :applecry:

7778039 But where did I go? I thought I was still here. :applejackconfused: And, sadly, I couldn't change even if I wanted to.

7780175 Well, you don't update as much anymore, but I absolutely love it when you do, especially with cute stories like this.

7777859 I know, I know. I'm breaking the rules and will soon be banned. Only clop allowed in the feature box these days. :pinkiesick:

7777814 I think there's a balance. If I write something dark, the next thing I write will be sweet. If I write something sad, the next thing might be funny. I like to bounce around a lot to stay interested. Thanks for reading some more of my crap! :yay:

7777641 More like the author's reaction: "This shit's already 5k? I'm not writing more. Quick wrap up now!"

7776943 I drink your misery up greedily and demand more. :pinkiecrazy:

7776675 I do like punching people in the face with my words.

7776510 Already dethroned, I'm afraid. :fluttershysad: But, hey, still featured! That's pretty cool!

7780202
Yeah, and I might actually end up deleting my story before it slips out of the extended box. :facehoof: Still seeking advice.

And as if precisely to spoil the tender moment with, Shining said, “I gave Flurry Heart a glass of water today.”

Was it a little glass of water, please?

7776626

This pretty much captures the essence of big-brother-hood.

As someone who is the youngest of 5, with 4 elder brothers, I am not sure how I feel about this.

It is bad enough to find out that your mum and da are not 12th Dan Judo grandmasters, but to also find that the shadowy ninja assassin cabal is a fabrication as well?
:pinkiegasp:

What is next? Is nothing sacred?

You mean Tony does not have by best breakfast at heart? That the Invisible Couch Pirates do not exist or zombies do not live in the scary wooded grove behind our house? That the Brotherly Brotherhood Band is a sham?!

My whole life has been turned upside down...
derpicdn.net/img/view/2013/2/13/242394.png

(No issues with the robots though; thanks to my college degree and current events, my outdated, irrational, superstition-based fear of putting my personal information into a computer has been replaced by a new, rational, fact-based fear of putting my personal information into a computer)
:facehoof:

you get a thumbs up from me for the awful pun at the end of the story

"Are you a bad enough pony to rescue your parents?" :rainbowdetermined2:

This was absolutely adorable. Thank You for writing it.

I... I'm not crying, you're crying!
:fluttercry:

Adorable... simply adorable! More cute and real than funny. Could very well be canon (minus the innuendo) and I can see this as a flashback in a later season of Twilight looking back on her big brother during the stresses of her life.

Hilarious, adorable, and quite touching. Thank you for it.

This was a very sweet story, I loved how Twilight still remembered Shining's made-up stories after so many years :twilightsmile: :twilightsmile: :pinkiehappy:

As usual, I regret waiting so long to read something you've written. From here on out, you'll be on my list of "They uploaded a story, stop whatever the hell you're doing and read it" authors. Good stuff, man. Goofy and funny and just sugary enough to make my teeth hurt a little. All in all, a near-perfect fic

This was adorable and awesome. The warm relationship between Twilight and Shining is really great here. Thank you so much for writing this.

This was adorable and funny.

7777859
Yeaahhhhh!!!!!!

Huh. Didn't expect such a silly story to have a mushy end that makes me feel all fuzzy inside. Nice job.

I put this on my Radar a long time ago but never gave myself enough time to really go through it. Now that I have, I regret not getting to it sooner. I had a brief moment of "D'aww!" with Twilight giving away her gift, which ramped up the impression of this story quite significantly.

I'm not entirely sure how much I enjoyed the story, because it surprised me so many times with how simple it was. Nonetheless, it made me laugh aloud quite a few times, and the way Twilight behaves is too adorable to handle. So y'know what? I'm gonna keep this on my Display Case shelf, reserved for the highest honors on my personal scale. And since the story was kept simple, sweet, and managed to keep me engaged from start to finish, I think it earns a 9.25/10 on that same scale.

I know it doesn't mean much in the grand scheme of things, but the short answer is: I loved this.

This was great fun. Thanks for writing.:ajsmug:

8010936
8010119 Thank you! :twilightsmile: Glad you both enjoyed it. Sometimes the simplest, dumbest ideas are the best. And anything with filly Twilight is already great. :twilightsheepish:

I think this ended up being my favorite part :heart:
Now I'm glad Fimfiction reminded me that I forgot to read the epilogue. :pinkiesad2:

A pregnant pause followed that, and just when Shining thought that nothing more would be said that night, Twilight told him in a faint whisper, “I think I hear the grim reaper prowling around downstairs, Shiny. I think he’s searching for someone’s soul to steal.”

Its used correctly but it sounds wrong.
You'd never hear someone use it that way in a conversation.

i love this. This site needs more stories like this: light-hearted, cute, hilarious fluff. i'll be coming back to this often.

Login or register to comment