• Published 4th Dec 2016
  • 2,209 Views, 64 Comments

Diplomatic Overtures - Dave Bryant



What’s the reward for a job well done? Another job. The junior diplomat keeping an eye on Sunset Shimmer and her friends gets a new assignment: travel through the portal as chargé d‘affaires to open relations with Equestria. • A Twin Canterlots story

  • ...
4
 64
 2,209

Brass tacks

Diplomacy is boring.

Maybe it’s more accurate to say diplomacy is not a spectator sport. For a participant it combines the slow-moving suspense of a chess game with the sharp guesswork and bargaining of poker. Even then it can cause drooping eyelids; I wasn’t surprised when Luna and later Cadance succumbed to the tedium. Luna’s bedtime was approaching, after all, and Cadance was in a constant state of mild sleep deprivation thanks to her infant daughter. They stayed long enough to satisfy honor and to ensure Equestria’s sovereignty wouldn’t be bargained away for a handful of beads, but eventually first one and then the other excused herself.

Contrariwise, the eternal Celestia seemed unaffected and Twilight positively energized by the minutiae and proliferating details. Sunset hung on doggedly with an air of confusion, likely wondering why she was there at all, while the three of us negotiated the relationship our nations would enjoy. (Yes, that’s the right word; it means something rather different than it would in ordinary conversation. All too often it’s an exercise in irony.) Her patience was rewarded once we’d established certain ground rules about the movement of our citizens or subjects through the portal.

“And now, it gives me great pleasure to present this.” I leaned down to fetch another item by mouth from the panniers sitting beside my seat. After placing it on the table, I slid it toward Sunset with a hoof. She peered down at it a little blearily, then her eyes widened and she gaped.

“So?” Twilight craned her neck eagerly. “What is it?”

“It’s . . . it’s a visa,” Sunset breathed, incredulous.

I beamed, absurdly pleased by her reaction, as if I’d given her the best Hearth’s-Warming present ever, to use her native idiom. “It is indeed. To be specific, it is a courtesy visa conferring long-term residency status on a non-diplomatic representative of a foreign government. Sunset Shimmer has official standing to remain as long as she wishes in the land she now calls home, and not just as a private individual.”

Sunset was speechless. Twilight looked like she was about to burst. Celestia smiled as broadly as I yet had seen, but unlike the younger mares’ unbridled joy, her demeanor showed she plainly understood the subtext. “The Crown of Equestria offers deep and heartfelt thanks to your nation for its enlightened magnanimity.” She turned her attention to her former student. “Sunset. It is a gift of surpassing generosity—and practicality—but do be aware it is not, and quite understandably cannot be, unlimited in its scope.”

Both mares looked up at her, and she explained. “As Mister Cook has intimated, it offers no diplomatic immunity. I do not expect that to pose any difficulty in the future, but I do remind you to remain on your best behavior while you are a guest in his country.” She favored me with a searching look. “And I believe it is no accident he arranged to present it under these circumstances, with Twilight and myself as witnesses.”

I inclined my head courteously. “It is not. Doing so allowed the Crown of Equestria to take official cognizance of it immediately, which is the pragmatic reason.” I was still grinning like a fool when I raised my head. “And on a personal level, I couldn’t imagine a better time to do so. For all three of you.”

Sunset bounced off her stool and threw her arms around me. She squeezed surprisingly hard, and I wheezed, caught off-guard and suddenly breathless. She even gave me a chaste little peck on the cheek before returning to her seat.

I was warm all over. It really did feel like making a favorite niece the happiest person in the world. Twilight giggled.

“Cook,” Celestia said quietly. “Thank you.”

“You’re welcome, Celestia,” I replied just as quietly. Dropping the honorific told me she was serious, and deeply touched. It also told me she understood full well I was the one who pushed through the visa. I vowed then never, ever to play chess, poker, or sun and moon with her.

Sunset slid the visa back. “Cook, would you keep this safe for me while we’re here? I . . . don’t have any place to put it, and I don’t want to damage it by shoving it in a pocket.”

“Gladly.” I recovered the small but fancy folio booklet and swept it gently back into my pannier.

Twilight spoke up with a tone of epiphany. “Celestia, shouldn’t we issue Sunset a passport?”

“Yes. Yes we should.” She bestowed another smile on us all. “I suggest we repair to a more pleasant venue for a working lunch, during which I shall set those wheels in motion.”

This we did. Our peregrination through the halls resembled the previous journey, but squared and cubed. Midday, the palace bustled even more than earlier, and the tall form at the head of our little party garnered smiles and bows and murmured greetings. She found time to respond to each and every one, even if it was only a word or two. Somehow, somewhere, she managed to convey her intentions, and by the time we found ourselves on a balcony hanging over empty air, cantilevered from an onion-domed tower, we found a round table set for four, with a simple but generous and perfectly fresh luncheon spread across it.

Celestia sat at the outer place and nodded to us, letting us find our own seats as we wished. Perhaps not surprisingly I ended up facing her, with her former students on either side. It gave me a panoramic view of the far side of the axe-cleft pass that cradled Canterlot, steep and startling. The meal itself was informal, all of us serving ourselves and sometimes each other family-style. I was provided utensils, and fine ones, to circumvent my lack of proficiency with levitation.

After a few minutes another unicorn mare appeared—levitating a laden clipboard, a fountain pen, and a dry seal—and trotted straight to Celestia with an air of competent efficiency. Her coat was nearly as white as her mistress’, though without the faint glow. Her dark brown mane and tail were bound up in matching buns with red ribbons, and her collar and cravat strongly resembled mine, though in white and red rather than charcoal gray and dark blue. Spectacles rimmed with blued steel framed her bronze eyes. I judged her to be within a few years of my own age of thirty-one. She was quite pretty and I suspect I stared a bit more than was strictly polite. I was at that moment a stallion, after all, and besides, grace, wit, and pleasant features and conformation transcend species.

“Ah, Raven,” Celestia greeted her with a pleased smile. I was beginning to realize she had a smile for almost every occasion, and spent a great deal of time doing so. Many of those smiles were politic, I was sure, but a surprising amount of the time they seemed genuine. I suppose, when one has seen as much as she has, the choice is to enjoy life or go mad. “Mister Cookie Pusher, this is my majordomo, Raven Inkwell. Raven, this fine young stallion prefers to go by Cook; he is visiting from the other side of the portal and has been accredited as chargé d’affaires en pied from the nation hosting the portal’s other terminus.”

Raven scrutinized me as thoroughly as a three-dee laser scanner—not rudely, but appraisingly and as if committing my appearance to memory. While she didn’t smile, her expression was cordial. “I’m pleased to meet you, Mister Cook. Will you be staying long?”

“Alas, no, Ms. Inkwell,” I replied, and was surprised to find the “alas” was sincere. “This is merely a preliminary conference to present my credentials and to resolve the most basic and urgent questions that arise between two nations opening relations for the first time.”

“Perhaps you will have more opportunity to visit our fair country at a later time, then,” she replied with hospitable courtesy.

“I think I’d like that.”

She did smile then, if briefly, before turning back to Celestia attentively. That worthy began to issue orders, couched as polite requests, and Raven nodded occasionally. She took no notes but, when the stream of commands ended, repeated back the essential points flawlessly. Before departing to carry them out, she deposited the clipboard and pen on the table beside Celestia’s place setting.

Celestia took up the pen and began writing. “I doubt the palace press room will be able to produce a permanent document before you and Mister Cook return through the portal tonight, Sunset, but I can issue a provisional writ that will do for the nonce. Mister Cook, I shall entrust the writ to your temporary keeping for the same reasons Sunset requested you to hold onto her visa.”

“I’d be happy to,” I assured her.

Without looking up from her writing, Celestia added, “I seem to recall also this is a school day, is it not, Sunset?”

“Oh!” Sunset looked stricken for a moment. “Yes it is. Principal Celestia gave me a day pass.” Levitation glows surrounded first one pocket, then another, until finally a folded slip of paper emerged to make its way to the table beside the clipboard.

A minute or so later the fountain pen came to rest on the clipboard’s other side, and Celestia picked up and unfolded the slip. The computer-printed form on mass-produced ink-jet paper looked incongruous among the industrial-age impedimentia and paraphernalia around it. “Ah, so it’s your fault, Mister Cook. I cannot say that comes as a surprise.” Her mock-severe tone was undermined by her twinkling eyes. “Very good; my counterpart stresses Sunset’s friends have been tasked with providing her notes and homework assignments as needed.”

Sunset groaned, but her heart didn’t seem to be in it; I guessed her protest was pro forma, upholding the tradition of griping cherished by students and military enlistees from time immemorial—on both sides of the portal, apparently. Celestia’s new smile showed her understanding of this nuance.

“I’m sure you’ll make up the time with your customary energy and dispatch,” she told her former student teasingly. I was sure of it too; I kept tabs on the whole group’s grades and academic performance. Despite coming to a post-industrial school system late and having to learn a whole new world and national history—not to mention an extra century and a half of science and technology—on the run, Sunset still managed to place consistently in the top five percent of students nationwide. It was only those handicaps that kept her out of the top one percent, where the girl everyone nicknamed Sci-Twi placed despite her transfer from Crystal Prep Academy. Nobody who knew Sunset’s background held that comparatively “low” standing against her.

Sunset face-planted on the table and mumbled something. Twilight tried heroically, but ultimately failed to suppress her laughter. Sunset rolled her head just enough to give her friend a gimlet eye and grunted. Only my diplomatic training allowed me to maintain a determinedly grave expression. “If it’ll make you feel better, I’d be happy to help you study,” I offered in an elaborately helpful if not downright unctuous tone.

She turned the same baleful one-eyed look on me and I desisted. A few times I’d been drafted to assist in the group’s study sessions, with mixed results. I was sure she was recalling some of the less salubrious occasions. That she felt easy enough with me to react so informally delighted me, and I grinned teasingly at her in return.

Celestia finished the writ, signing it with a flourish and using the seal die to stamp it rather loudly. “There you are.” She levitated the stiff, fine sheet to me, and I looked it over. It was, as I fully expected, complete and correct, and I nodded. Without bringing it back toward herself, she folded it, slipped it into an envelope, and, once I opened my pannier, lowered it in. After the glow around it vanished, I nudged it with a hoof to be sure it sat neatly in the bag and wouldn’t end up wrinkled.

And then we continued with the meal, which was occupied mostly with more boring diplomatic details that don’t bear repetition.

Author's Note:

When in the course of my research I encountered the concept of the courtesy visa I absolutely had to put it in—it’s so perfectly tailor-made for Sunset’s situation! And yes, Cook is the one who had the brainstorm to submit and push through the application.
   Originally I was going to leave Cook’s vow just at chess and poker, but then I realized it was a perfect opportunity to plug sun and moon, the strategy game I designed specifically to be a synthetic cultural artifact reflecting Equestria’s, rather than the real world’s, history. I make no apology.