• Published 2nd Dec 2016
  • 1,268 Views, 124 Comments

Unhinged - SirNotAppearingInThisFic



A collection of short stories inspired by Magic cards generated by RoboFoME. No understanding of Magic is required to read these.

  • ...
3
 124
 1,268

Horrible Mechanical [Slice of Life, OCs]

A few days in the work life of Trinket Toss.

June 11, Monday.

Boss assigned me to fix a small airship today. Its mass was probably under 10 tons, though Boss didn’t specify the model. I could only hope it wouldn’t be necessary to know the model number to find the right parts to fix ut. Apparently, the customer brought it in because it “turns sluggish” and “the lift doesn’t feel right”. I guess that’s better than saying “it doesn’t fly normal”.

Boss didn’t think the model number was important for the small airship I had to fix today so he didn’t try and find it. I wish I could say this was the first time. He told me if it was so important that I could find it listed on or near the ship’s wheel. I would have explained that most ships didn’t have that, especially if the wheel had been replaced, but it wasn’t worth it. Part numbers were the best I could expect, and those aren’t always present.

Boss worked in his office most of the day, which was good. Ether kept me company, but she got in the way a bunch. I couldn’t be angry at her, though. Boss just thought she was a stray cat that hung around, but if he ever went out back, he might see the bowls I fill every day for her.

This ship was a standard steam-lift, steam-power model. Packer (his name is actually Pay Load, but we just call him Packer ‘cause he packs the gasbags up a lot) had no trouble stowing the gasbag.

I checked the steering system first: The ship uses a pulley transmission from the ship’s wheel, and it doesn’t look like the motors are involved in turning or at least not with the wheel and I guess this ship just turns slow anyway. The rear rudder assembly was rusted a lot. The whole assembly needed to be replaced. I tugged the pulley and it wasn’t any harder to turn than I expected, but more parts of the rudder assembly were moving than were supposed to. The rudder probably didn’t turn as far as it was supposed to, either. The rusting probably started a long time ago and the customer never bothered to bring it in.

I have to wonder why ponies or companies can buy expensive ships and then not take them in for maintenance or repairs for so long, but they do that a lot. Last month, Wing Nut spent two weeks fixing almost everything on one used for internal deliveries by a company. It almost would have been easier to build a new one, but I don’t think it would have been cheaper.

I told Packer that the rusting suggested a gasbag leak because there weren’t any water lines ran nearby and the boiler wasn’t close either. He’s going to pump air in and check later.

Rusted bolts don’t come off well, but there are some holding the rudder assembly together and the gears especially and I need them to come off. I used a hammer to force the wrench, and it worked, but the wrench was all wonky after. Wing Nut has a large set of specialty wrenches and I think some are longer and they are all stronger. I probably should have borrowed one.

I’ll have to take measurements for the parts, but they don’t look special and shouldn’t be hard to find replacements for.

After I got the rudder assembly completely off, I talked to Wing Nut about her set of wrenches and she told me where I could buy them, but they weren’t cheap. Boss never agreed on buying tools that were expensive, so I would have to pay for them myself if I wanted them. Wing Nut said it was okay if I needed to borrow one, though, but not to hit it with a hammer because that was her privilege.

I found the parts to replace the rudder assembly in our catalogue. I asked Boss if we should order the rust-resistant ones but he said the customer hadn’t asked for it and that would just increase the repair cost so no. I figured Boss would say that.


June 12, Tuesday.

There was a special airship in the drydock today. Boss says it’s an important customer.

It’s a BD-12. I know Yellow Diamond is a company that makes magitech engines and boilers and imbued materials and things and I heard they made a sister company to start manufacturing their own airships, but I haven’t seen any ships built by Blue Diamond before.

The problem is that the right-side engine isn’t spinning up as fast and that’s turning the ship when it accelerates or slows down. I wasn’t certified to fix magitech engines but Boss told me to try anyway because it was still an airship so how different could it be?

Boss still won’t get my name right. He calls me “Tinker”. I admit it’s not really far off from “Trinket Toss”, but he won’t even try and that’s what annoys me.

His “important customer” I think is a buddy he golfs with who must have a lot more bits than I do, because magitech airships are expensive. His buddy is probably a unicorn, too, because the doorways to the rooms on the airship are small but peaked, which you usually see on airships that unicorns pilot because of their horns. I don’t know what Boss gets in return but I think it must be something. Maybe he just want to look good in front of his friends. Canterlot ponies are like that a lot.

I can just imagine Boss complaining to some rich pony about how the ponies who work for him can barely do their jobs and aren’t as smart as he is. I’d bet my savings that he does. I told him I wasn’t certified and we got into a bit of an argument about how hard it was to fix arships and how magic worked. I think Boss thinks that all magic is the same but pegasus magic and unicorn magic aren’t and I don’t think earth pony magic is the same either. I don’t know what earth pony magic is any more than I think he knows what pegasus magic is. I don’t even think he knows what unicorn magic is beyond his own horn.

It took a couple of hours for me to open up the engine and be confident that I wouldn’t break it worse and forget how to put it back together. It was pretty neat to see the faintly-glowing lines running through and a few larger crystals neatly arranged around a similarly-glowing rod, which faded into the metal shaft that the propellers were attached to. One of the crystals looked a little more dull than its friends, and I wondered if it was cracked but I couldn’t get a good look without taking the engine apart more.

Over lunch, Flywheel and Wing Nut and I talked about it and from what we knew, the crystals were the accelerators and they made the shaft spin. If one was broken that’d make sense because the engines are probably supposed to stop at a certain speed for safety reasons, so it wouldn’t make a difference once the engine got up to that speed.

Then we also talked about airships in general. Flywheel knew that Princess Twilight Sparkle had given out grants for airship research a few months ago, and that Yellow Diamond had gotten a big one for trying to power a boiler with just draconic mana. We all figured that we’d start to see some new parts and models of airships before too long, so we’d probably want to read up on who’s doing what. Packer joined us and said he heard about a double-layered gasbag prototype in the works so the middle could have superheated steam that was lighter but the outside would be colder steam and it would still act as a condenser for the engines.

Packer also told me I was right and he found the hole in the unidentified airship’s balloon so he was working on patching it up.

I took the engine apart some more and the crystal was definitely not right. I don’t know what caused it, though, and that has me worried. I traced the ley lines to the onboard mana bank (that’s what powers the accelerators). I guess maybe the mana bank or the ley lines could have had something to do with it, kind of like a leaky pipe.

I had to shoo Ether away so that she didn’t try and jump in front of me, which would have been into an engine. After I had opened the one engine, I opened the opposite one so I could compare and that’s how I knew the crystal was bad. I’m at my wit’s end trying to figure this out because I really don’t know that much about magitech but that doesn’t matter to Boss. I guess that makes sense because I don’t think he knows much about anything other than money and that doesn’t matter to him.

Boss came in to check on me again and he wanted to know why I opened the other engine. That started another argument about why he accepted a magitech airship in the first place when nobody here knew how to fix them. I would feel worse arguing with him but I knew it was just the way he was and he argued with everyone the same way. I told him I didn’t want to make it worse by removing the wrong bolt or something but he wasn’t really happy with anything I could say. He told me he wanted it done by the end of tomorrow then he went to his office. I’m glad he did that because he helps us fix the airships sometimes and about half the time he just makes it harder to get anything done.

I finished tracing the ley lines after he left so I wrote him a note. I knew approximately how to check for bad ley lines or a leaky mana bank, but I wasn’t a unicorn so I’d need special tools for that and he would have to rent them. I don’t think he’ll be happy with that. I didn’t say it was because I wasn’t a unicorn, because if I did that then I know he’d just diagnose them himself and I don’t think he would do a good job of it.


June 13, Wednesday

The BD-12 suffered another crystal failure, probably due to a bad ley line or mana bank. It isn’t possible for me to tell without the proper equipment, which Boss did not opt to rent.

When I got to the drydock, he complained about how late I stayed yesterday because he’d have to pay me overtime. And he had decided that he was going to diagnose the ley lines and mana bank himself and he had already sent for a new crystal. I told him we should get a proper thaumometer and diagnostic interface, but he said they never worked right and the last time he used one it displayed the number four followed by a bunch of gibberish letters. I almost told him that was probably an error code, but I didn’t want to argue against Boss, who was never wrong.

I ended up helping Packer fix a personal airship that had been caught in a gust while landing and run into some trees. Mostly the hull had been banged up, but some of the water lines needed replaced and that’s what I did. The gasbag was intact, so Tow Line took the tug-ship out and spent the morning bringing it in. Tow Line is nice, and I kind of wish he had more reason to come by.

Then we heard a loud “poof”, which sounded sort of silly and sort of serious. That’s when the second crystal failed. Boss had decided, qualified only by his status as a unicorn, that the mana system was fine, so he replaced the crystal and fired it up (figuratively, because it didn’t need a fire). I’ve heard of “magic smoke” coming from magitech failures, but the green haze was more than I had expected.

Boss started yelling at me about how I should have known that something else was wrong and I started yelling back that he just determined it was safe, but the way he saw it, I didn’t know what was wrong exactly so it was my fault anyway. I don’t think he completely believed that deep down or he might have fired me. Or he’s just not good at running a drydock because I probably would have fired someone if I knew they did something very wrong that cost a lot of money.

One day, maybe I can build my own drydock and run it myself so I don’t have to deal with ponies like this. Boss was furious at everything (except Ether) for the rest of the day.

The replacement rudder assembly for the airship I looked at two days ago arrived, so I spent some time installing that and I’m glad it was in the bay farthest from his office.

Author's Note:

RoboFoME card (Admiral Biscuit edition):

Horrible Mechanical
4U
Enchantment — Cat
Reach

When Ethere's power another creature or she diary science".

Twilight Miasma enters the number of crediterrain, she way to cast Trinket Toss was all enchanted Wyrm has four.gquqoption

"We shaped them for pegasi and down, but I’d horn.

Admiral Biscuit chose this card for me, so I felt it reasonable to pull inspiration from his style and a couple of his works (probably most heavily from Silver Glow’s Journal).  Also his actual life and job.  He’s a pretty neat guy.

There are more notes for this story than made it in.  I slightly question the use of a journal framing device, but it got me to write the thing, so that’s a plus.

Steam-lifted airships are not really a thing, but there’s a cool website that discusses them and the person who set it up has done some experiments.  Overall (I have found a few mentions of using it in other discussions as well), steam looks like a surprisingly feasible lift gas with a few significant side-benefits.  I assume ponies with their magic would have little trouble making it work even without full-on magitech, and once the magitech gets involved, who knows what they can achieve.  I do admit that this is half an exploration of steam-lifted airships and airships in general.

This Journal is probably a relatively recent development for Trinket Toss, and I think she’s been working there for maybe a month now, but I didn’t really need to know exactly.

I admit that I ship Trinket Toss and Tow Line.  If she feels confident in the privacy of her journal, a few months later (as she gets to know him better) his nickname might end up being “Tuggy” for short, “Tuggy Bear” long.  No, I don’t know why that came to mind. Maybe because of Captain Woolly Bear (I think that’s who it was) from Cold in Gardez’s The Adventuring Type.  There need to be more adorable male airship captain names floating around.

I don’t apologise for the company names.  I had blue mana on the card and they sounded like the sort of punchy tech-company names you might find in Equestria to me so I went with it from there.

Any resemblance Boss (which isn’t actually his name) bears to a pointy-haired boss near you is intentionally coincidental.