• Published 4th Dec 2016
  • 4,251 Views, 296 Comments

Princess Scootaloo - RuinQueenofOblivion



After finding out Scootaloo can't fly, Discord decides to help her out, in his own chaotic way of course. However his act of charity causes new problems for Equestria when he makes her an Alicorn, what will this mean for the future of Equestria?

  • ...
9
 296
 4,251

Chapter 9: Glider

Scootaloo yawned as she woke up and stretched out her legs. It was quiet, and honestly that was a relief for her, with all that was going on lately it felt like one thing was happening after another.

She just laid back in her bed and looked up at the ceiling, it was still early and it felt like she finally was getting a chance to actually calm down and reflect on everything that had happened to her in the past few days.

Suddenly waking up as an Alicorn was certainly not something she had expected, especially after learning that she wasn't ever going to be able to fly. Becoming an Alicorn was, really something that she hadn't ever expected to happen to her, was she really capable of handling this much power?

She sighed and looked out the window at Canterlot beyond. Things had been so much easier before all of this happened when all she had to worry about was figuring out what her cutie mark was, but now she was going to have to take on way more responsibility than she had ever imagined.

And honestly, she had no idea if she was even ready for that, she just was glad that she had the help of Rainbow Dash and her friends so that she wasn't doing it alone. She got to her hooves and walked into the bathroom, propping herself up so she could look at her horn again.

"What am I going to do now?" She asked herself as she stared at the horn for a long moment before getting down from the sink and heading out into the main room again.

“Hey Scootaloo,” Rainbow Dash said with a smile as she looked over to see Scootaloo entering the room. “How’d you sleep?”

"Okay I guess," Scootaloo said with a yawn as she rubbed her eyes. "Honestly, I kinda want to go back home to Ponyville, its not bad here but..."

"You're homesick?" Rainbow Dash asked and ruffled the filly's mane as she nodded. "I'm sure we'll be able to go back to Ponyville soon, just be patient okay? Celestia and Twilight just want to make sure that everything will be okay before that."

Scootaloo smiled and nodded in understanding. "Okay, I just hope it won't take too much longer, you know?"

"I know," Rainbow said with a smile. "Either way I promise that I'll be here for you no matter what, you're the most important thing in my life to me right now."

"Even more important than the Wonderbolts?"

"Way more important than the Wonderbolts, you're family to me, and family is the most important thing in the whole world."

"Then why haven't I ever met your parents?"

"Umm... err... oh look at the time we should go meet everypony else for breakfast!" Rainbow said as she ushered Scootaloo out the door.

00000

"Ready or not, here I come," Scootaloo said as she started looking around the courtyard where she was playing with her friends. "Hmm, now where could they have gone."

She looked around the courtyard a bit before her ears twitched a little, hearing a soft breathing sound coming from behind one of the bushes. She grinned and her horn glowed a light purple, pulling the bushes open enough to see Apple Bloom hiding.

"Aw, no fair usin' yer telekinesis!" Apple Bloom protested with a giggle as she came out of hiding.

"Sorry, Twilight said I need to practice it as much as I can," Scootaloo said with a shrug as they started looking around for Sweetie Belle. "Who knows, maybe even if I can't fly I can use telekinesis or something to kinda fly."

"Yeah, that would be cool," Apple Bloom said with a smile. "How are yah handlin' that by tha way?"

"Fine really, its just kind of disappointing is all," Scootaloo said with a sigh before she smiled again. "I'm just glad I have such good friends like you and Sweetie Belle."

"Aw, we're glad you're our friend too!" A voice said from nearby and Scootaloo grinned as she poked her head around a statue to find the Unicorn filly hiding there. "Darn it, me and my big muzzle."

This just got a laugh out of the three Crusaders as they hugged each other. Scootaloo smiled a bit, it meant a lot to her that her friends didn't think of her any differently now that she was an Alicorn, they would always be her best friends in all of Equestria no matter what.

"Excuse me, girls can I talk to Scootaloo for a moment?" A male voice said as they looked up to see one of the guards that had been assigned to Scootaloo.

"Oh, sure," Sweetie said as she and Apple Bloom exchanged a look before moving off to let the two talk. "We'll be just over there Scoots."

"Okay," Scootaloo said as she turned back to look up at the guard. "Is everything okay?"

"Yes, I..." the guard said and trailed off for a second. "I just wanted to meet you formally, my name is Glider, I met your foster mother before."

"Oh, you're my cousin!" Scootaloo said with a smile as she looked up at the stallion. "I'm glad I get to meet you finally, I didn't even know I had any family out there until, well, you know."

"Yeah, I understand," Glider said as he removed his helmet. "I, just wanted to say I'm sorry, I didn't really get to know your parents very well, and I don't agree with everything that's happened in our family. I'm just happy that you've found such wonderful friends and more."

"Yeah, me too," Scootaloo said with a happy smile as she looked over at her friends who waved to her. "So, we're from a noble family right? How'd you wind up in the Royal Guard?"

"Oh its actually not that uncommon for members of Noble families to serve in the guard for a few years," Glider said. "My father served for a few years too. Besides, I honestly find the whole life of a noblepony a bit boring, you're lucky you basically get to do whatever you want with your life... at least I hope so."

"You hope so?"

"Never mind, forget I said anything," Glider said with a shake of his head. "Now go play with your friends some more, okay? I'll be close by if you need anything."

"Okay," Scootaloo said, still a little confused by all of this as she went to where Sweetie Belle and Apple Bloom were waiting for her.

"What was that about?" Sweetie Belle asked curiously, looking back at the guard who returned to his post.

"Oh, he's my cousin, he wanted to meet me I guess," Scootaloo said with a shrug and a smile. "He seems nice, a bit strange, but nice."

"Well that's great," Apple Bloom said with a nod. "Come on, lets go have some fun before Princess Cadance gets here."

Scootaloo nodded and the three fillies ran off to play some more.

Glider watched the three fillies play and sighed, he just had to hope that he wouldn't have to do anything that put the filly in danger.

00000

After lunch Princess Cadance had finally arrived at Canterlot, she spent some time talking with Celestia and Twilight while Scootaloo waited nervously with Rainbow Dash and her friends. Finally Cadance came out with a warm smile as she looked at Scootaloo.

"Its good to see you again Scootaloo, how are you feeling?" She asked the filly as they shook hooves.

"Okay I guess, I'm still kind of trying to figure out what too do with this whole thing," Scootaloo said as she rubbed the back of her head. "Were you really a Pegasus before you ascended like me?"

"Oh yes, its kind of a long story," Cadance said with a nod. "Though, from what Aunt Celestia has told me yours is pretty unique in itself."

"Yeah, Discord turning a pony into an Alicorn can't be that common," Scootaloo chuckled. "I'm just trying to make the best of it that I can, but things haven't been easy."

"I understand, you're having to learn a whole new kind of magic in addition to figuring out what you'll be doing as an Alicorn," Cadance said. "Do you have any idea what your sphere of influence may be so far?"

"Honestly, I have no idea, I kind of assumed it would come to me when the time was right," Scootaloo admitted with a shrug. "Though it doesn't stop everypony from speculating."

"Princess of Awesomeness maybe?" Sweetie Belle suggested with a smirk.

"See what I mean?"

"Now, now girls, Scootaloo's sphere of influence will come in time," Cadance said with a laugh. "She has only been an Alicorn for a few days after all. It all ties into your virtue Scootaloo, what defines you as a pony and what you can do to help Equestria."

"My, virtue?" Scootaloo asked a little perplexed.

"Yeah, like I'm loyalty," Rainbow said with a nod. "Its something to reflect on at least, and you never know, you might find something out about yourself."

Scootaloo thought about it for a long moment, she had always been working hard to try and find her cutie mark or to help other ponies, that was her talent, but her virtue? That was something she honestly had never really thought about before, and she had to admit she was curious about how that would tie into this whole thing.

Of course it wasn't going to be easy to figure that out.

"Thank you again for coming Cadance," Twilight said as she came out of the room with Celestia as she gave the older Alicorn a hug. "So can you help us out with Scootaloo's magic studies?"

"I can certainly try," Cadance said with a nod. "Come on, lets go somewhere and work on them."

Scootaloo nodded and the group headed out of the antechamber.

00000

"So, you've managed to figure out telekinesis at least," Cadance said as she watched Scootaloo manipulate a small ball and move it up and down in her magic. "Have you tried anything larger than that?"

"Yeah, but with mixed results," Scootaloo admitted with a shrug.

"Have you tried any other spells?" Cadance asked and Scootaloo shook her head. "Okay then, normally a Unicorn or Alicorn would have spells based on her cutie mark, but..."

"You're not sure what that would be for me?" Scootaloo asked and Cadance nodded. "Do you have any suggestions about what I could try?"

Cadance thought for a long moment before taking out a spellbook and setting it in front of the filly. Scootaloo flipped through it, it was mostly simple spells that were fairly standard for Unicorns to know, but it was at least a start.

"Its how I got started, you just need to start with the basics right now."

"Thank you," Scootaloo said and she started to practice her magic skills.

Sometimes the magic fizzled out before she could perform the spell, but other times she managed to pull it off. Her horn glowed with the final spell that she was going to try, a truth detection spell.

"Okay, so to test this one we just need a simple lie," Cadance said and looked thoughtful for a moment. "Okay, my coat is not pink."

Scootaloo giggled a little at that as her horn flashed twice, indicating that it was a lie. "Looks like you're lying Cadance."

"Yes, very good Scootaloo," Cadance said with a smile. "Okay, I think that's enough for today, you've made some nice progress, just keep practicing and you'll do fine."

"Thank you," Scootaloo said with a smile as she hugged the older Alicorn a little. "You're a great help, I just hope I don't mess this up."

"Hey Scootaloo, you're one of the most awesome fillies in Equestria history, you're not going to mess this up," Rainbow said with a smile as she ruffled Scootaloo's mane. "You've already made amazing progress, and I know you'll be the best princess ever."

"But no pressure right?" Scootaloo said with a laugh.

"Yep, no pressure," Rainbow said. "Come on, we've still got a lot to do before tomorrow."

"What happens then?"

Rainbow paused a long moment, she wasn't sure if she wanted to tell Scootaloo yet or keep it a surprise. She finally settled on telling her the truth, she deserved to know that much.

"Well since I took you in I've been looking into adopting you," Rainbow said and Scootaloo nodded in understanding. "Because of some, extenuating circumstances, Celestia has sped up the adoption process. She said it should be finalized tomorrow."

"You mean..." Scootaloo said, her eyes going wide.

"That's right, starting tomorrow you'll be my daughter officially," Rainbow said, wrapping her forelegs around the filly who started to cry a little.

"Thank you... mom..." Scootaloo said as she hugged Rainbow Dash tightly. "This means more to me than anything else."

"I know Scootaloo, I know," Rainbow said and the two just stayed there for a long while.