• Published 17th Jul 2012
  • 2,446 Views, 164 Comments

Jumper - KMCA



Crossover with Memoirs of a Reality Jumper

  • ...
11
 164
 2,446

Lyra

I reached out and opened the door for Bon Bon, I felt that using my hands to open a dirty door knob was only the polite thing to do especially since Bon Bon would have to use her mouth.

That turned out to be a mistake, when I opened the door I was ambushed by a pale green blur aimed for my chest. How she managed to go from being completely absorbed in whatever she was doing to standing ready to pounce behind the door was a complete mystery. An impact warning flashed in my visor as she collided hoof first into my chest, according to the armor she hit with the force of a riot control weapon, knocking me off balance and sending me crashing to the path between the flower gardens.

“Hi-Alex-what-are-you-doing-here?Are-you-here-for-me-I-knew-you’d-come-for-me-eventually-I-even-dreamed-about-it-I’m-not-being-creepy-am-I?Bon-Bon-says-I-can-be-creepy-but-I-don’t-think-so-I-mean-it-would-be-creepy-if-I-had-a-dream-about-you-giving-me-your-hands-or-something-not-that-I-ever-had-a-dream-like-that-or-anything-but-I-wish-I-had-hands-like-yours-just-imagine-what-I-could-do-with-them.” Her face was so close to my visor that it began to fog up on me, her enthusiasm was almost as terrifying as the manic gleam in her eye. I felt a cold terror in the pit of my stomach that I hadn’t felt since my first jump, I recognised it as fear for my soul rather than my life.

Bon Bon thankfully jumped in with an attempt to save me.

“Lyra, stop! That’s not Alex, you’re scaring him.” I don’t know if it was her intent but it got the crazed mare off of me in as little time as it took her to ambush me, only now Lyra was giving Bon Bon the same close range interrogation about me, I couldn’t even keep up with the questions let alone think of answers to them . Some of them were just outrageous,
“What color fire does he breathe?” I mean honestly, what lies had Alex been telling these ponies? I can’t help but admit that convincing an entire race you could breathe fire was pretty damn funny.

I got to my feet and looked gave Bon Bon a sympathetic look that was completely invisible through my visor and tried round two with introductions.

“Lyra Heartstrings, right?” Her head whipped around so fast and nodded so vigorously that I was afraid that she was going to break her own neck,

“I’m Mathew Brennan, it’s nice to meet you.” I held out my left hand in greeting and almost withdrew it an instant later when her eyes latched onto it with a manic grin, I saw her horn light up and felt pressure on my hand, I was startled by my first interaction with telekinesis but that was overshadowed a moment later by a radiation increase notice from my armor, still non-lethal levels but an increase from the natural environment or “buffered” levels I had experienced so far.

“Woah STOP!” It was interesting having my visor pick up the radiation, it was a field molded perfectly to my hand connected by a nanoscopic trail to her horn. Did that mean line of sight was required? Would my armor be able to block or redirect the radiation? Every question I answered about magic led to more questions.

Luckily Lyra stopped her magic quickly, the expression on her face looking like an abused puppy. Creepy stalker pony or not the expression made me feel guilty and I felt the need to explain. I knelt down so that we were closer to eye level, this was something serious that I needed to make clear.

“Magic hurts me, ok Lyra? I need you to be careful using it around me. Otherwise I’ll have to go away and find somewhere else to stay, can you do that for me?” She somehow managed to get even more sad looking, my heart couldn’t take it. I reached out and scratched behind her ears for a moment, trying to cheer up the sad little mare in front of me.

The look of devastation melted into total bliss as my fingers scratched behind her ear, I continued it for several seconds before yanking my hand back again. I realized what I had done, I had treated her like an adorable pet.

“I’m so sorry! I can’t believe I just did that, it won’t happen again.” Lyra looked hungry for more, Bon Bon however seemed surprised by the reactions of both myself and her marefriend who had been momentarily turned into a slobbering pet. I instantly hated myself for the comparison. They might not be human beings but they’re still intelligent creatures.

“How about we go inside and find me some place to sleep, I’m still really tired.” I just wanted some peace and quiet, some time to try and piece together everything that was going on. I turned off my external speakers and growled in frustration.

‘The first time ever I run into another person with this damnable condition he turns out to be some senile psychopath? I could have really used some help’

It was enough to be forced into a reality that was completely different from anything you’ve ever seen before but to have someone able to explain it cursing your very existence? That just made it worse.

Bon Bon explained to Lyra about how even the low levels of magic from the world around me was dangerous and that for safety I should sleep close to them, the light in Lyra’s eyes made me swallow hard. It simply wasn’t healthy, Bon Bon had hinted Lyra needed to stop obsessing over humans and I was sure that this was the wrong way to go about it. I leaned against the wall and listened to them debate the sleeping arrangements.

“He doesn’t need to sleep between us Lyra, especially not in our bed. He can sleep anywhere in our room and be just fine.” I liked the sound of this, but Lyra was obviously having nothing of it.

“The closer he is to us the better right? Physical contact with a human Bons, it’s for its own good, I don’t want it getting sick on us I want to keep him forever.” Yeah, Plan A was sounding pretty damn good.

“No, Lyra. I don’t want to share my bed with him. Especially when it’s your week, I know how you get.” I think the best word here was ‘Eww’ I really didn’t need to know that, the world of human feminine hygiene was bad enough. I REALLY didn’t want to know how the pony version worked.

“But Bons, you know I can control myself. I mean yeah that one time at-” I activated the helmet speakers and cleared my throat, eager to stop this conversation before it went even further into the realm of too much information.

“I’d rather not share a bed with anyone if I can help it. How about-” they continued as if I hadn’t spoken, I double checked that my speakers were on, they were. I guess lovers quarrels are universal, I left the room before they could get to the making up portion.

“He’s an intelligent creature, I won’t let him treat you like a pet! I mean let you treat HIM like a pet.” Freudian slip?

Either way I was finished with this conversation. When I walked back into the living room the radiation icon shifted from a light green to yellow. Did the presence of ponies really make so much of a difference that the radiation levels could go from short term survivable without protection to long term fatal?

Stretched out on the low couch. I had to drape my legs over the arm of it but otherwise it was comfortable. I ran through the events of the day, trying to unwind. I’d landed without injury, the natives were mostly kind and helpful, with some very notable exceptions. I had a place to sleep, I’d deal with food in the morning and aside from that all I needed was a job. For the first time since I started jumping I thought that life was looking good. I fell asleep with that happy thought in my head.

I slept horribly as usual, the helmet systems woke me when Bon Bon and Lyra finally came out of their room, I dozed off only to awake again, Bon Bon sleeping on the floor and Lyra leaning over me, her manic expression replaced by one of simple non-stalker curiosity. She was examining all the scratches and markings of my armor. I relaxed slightly and went back to sleep. Tonight was graced with the rare gift of an only mildly terrifying dream.

When I awoke that morning I could feel a head on my chest. I was still groggy and hadn’t opened my eyes yet something about this reminded me of my last pet dog causing me to gently stroke it. It was the second time I’ve reflexively pet a pony in the last twenty-four hours. I would have probably gone on petting the pony for another minute or so if she hadn’t sighed.

My eyes shot open and my hand froze, after last night I was surprised to find that I had been petting Bon Bon rather than Lyra, her eyes were just beginning to drift open from the sudden stop of my stroking.

Our eyes met -how she keeps doing that through my visor is started to wierd me out- and I think it was a mutual decision to quietly separate before Lyra caught us, I’m sure we both thought that was a fate worse than the embarrassment of me once again petting a pony and her embarrassment at having “cuddled” with me.

“So, did you two sleep well?” Lyra purred as BonBon screamed and jumped away from me. “Don’t be ashamed Bons. It feels good, doesn’t it? I know when Alex touched my sides, it was like lightning going through me. I found that behind the left ear is the best. Matt showed me that.” She must have gone to sleep on the back of the couch like a cat. I took off my helmet to give Lyra my patented disappointed stare. Not enough to scare her but hopefully enough to convey the phrase ‘No chance in hell’.

Bon Bon struggled to keep from laughing but Lyra being just stared back. Actually she was drinking in every detail about my face like a man trapped in the desert, I shuddered.

“Why do you have a mane on your chin?” I laughed at the description.

“My beard? Come on, you can’t tell me that beards are unheard of, well it looks like Alex shaves so I guess I shouldn’t be too surprised but others have them, right?” I stroked it absentmindedly, it was something I often did when I wasn’t wearing my helmet, it comforted me.

“What does it do?” Bon Bon looked at me expectantly, her eyes brimming with tears while she tried to contain her laugh, I fought a sigh thinking how similar to home this was becoming.

“It makes ponies ask silly questions.” Bon Bon lost it, she started banging the floor with her hoof and laughing like a madpony. I didn’t think it was funny, but I guess pony humour was simpler and much less dark.

“REALLY!? Can you show me how that works?” My mouth started twitching, I could suddenly see what was so funny. I joined Bon Bon in her laughter, leaving Lyra looking confused and lost. My stomach had chosen this moment to join the conversation. Lyra and Bon Bon looked at me with very concerned looks on their faces.

“You’re not going to eat your own arm are you? Alex said a few weeks ago that he was so hungry he could eat his own arm.” I laughed at the absurdity of the lies that Alex was spreading, smiling with a broadly toothy grin.

“Well it’s either that or a horse.”