• Published 17th Jul 2012
  • 2,446 Views, 164 Comments

Jumper - KMCA



Crossover with Memoirs of a Reality Jumper

  • ...
11
 164
 2,446

Dark pasts

Three sets of eyes stared at me, I could feel each pair looking at my very soul… Each demanding a piece of it. My body tensed up as I fought the urge to fight my way out and run until I collapsed.

The purple pair demanded that I feed her more music, that I be strapped to the piano and play until I had no feelings left. She wanted my emotions.

The pair of glasses with the barely defined eyes behind them demanded that I show her something different, something with more energy. She wanted my creativity.

The pair of golden irises hungered too, but not like she was ready to tear me apart to get it. Her eyes spoke of patience and acceptance. I could see that she wanted a piece of me, but she would wait until I offered it to her. She wanted my happiness.

“Vinyl, Octavia stop! You’re scaring him.” Lyra’s hoof slammed hard against the tiled floor, breaking us out of our… Fixations.

“Oh, my. I certainly didn’t mean to come across as frightening, right Vinyl?” I witnessed the least discrete ‘encouragement’ ever. A grey hoof punching the unicorn in the leg, just above the hoof. I realize they don’t exactly have feet to be stomped on but I’ve seen charges led with more subtlety.

“Huh? Oh, yeah. Sorry dude, kinda got carried away for a second.” She had a twenty yard stare, I could practically see the wheels of creativity turning in her head.

I had to get out.

“Well it’s nice to see you and you’ve got a nice place. I’ll be sure to come back sometime when it’s not so busy.” I’m not sure how it could be with only the 4 of us here. I guess that subtlety isn’t anyones strong suit today.

Come on Lyra, when the rest of the room screws up this bad the bar is set pretty low on how hard you need to try.

“Well, I grabbed a pack of strings. Can you put them on my tab?”

Good girl, I’m proud of you. Gold star.

“We got to go to the place for the thing.”

And like that, it’s gone. Rest in peace creative excuses, you will be missed.

I waved goodbye, making sure to keep them in eyesight until I reached the door, memories of previous jumps not letting me forget the mistake of turning your back on someone… Something that wants what you have.

It wasn’t until Lyra closed the door that I let it out, I started panting like I’d been running for hours. I don’t even remember kneeling down. One second I was trembling and the next I was leaning forward on my knees with Lyra asking me what was wrong.

It took me several deep breaths, closing my eyes and focusing on the comfort of the armor on my body.

Even without the helmet on, I was safe.

Only the most dangerous weapons could damage it, I was safe.

I’m surrounded by peace loving ponies, I was safe.

I repeated those phrases to myself to calm down, I couldn’t afford to lose it here in public.

I took one last deep breath before answering my companion.

“Lyra, there are some things out there that feed on things other than food, things that devour your very essence, your emotions, your soul. Count yourself lucky you’ve never encountered them.” Lyra sat down beside me, I kept my eyes locked on hers. The golden irises flashed with pain before a very real look of understanding locked in.

“How about snacked on before being turned into a mental slave?” Her voice surprisingly calm and casual.

I opened my mouth to say something but the look on her face told me it would be best to just let her talk.

“During Twilight’s brother’s wedding I was going to be one of the brides maids. I guess Princess Cadence or maybe Shining remembered how I tried so hard to be Twilight’s friend in Canterlot only for her to never notice.” She shrugged but I could tell how bitter she was about it, it looked like a long story best told over a cold beer… or ten.

“But that’s not important and I need to move on. What is important is that at some point Cadence was replaced by a changeling queen, who decided that it would be a good idea to rip some of the happiness we felt for her out of bodies before…” I saw a look on her face that I never thought I’d see on a pony, it was the same haunted and tortured look I saw on my face whenever I looked in the mirror. Only in her case it didn’t look hopeless. I envied her strength and wished I had some for myself.

“Before she,” She took a deep breath before pushing through. “She violated our minds and made us do her bidding. I don’t want to talk about it, but Twinkleshine hasn’t been the same ever since. She sees a psychiatrist almost every day and she can barely bring herself to go out in public, she thinks everypony is a changeling. Doctor Emerald almost had to get a restraining order after she confronted him and his daughter and accused them of being changelings. I’m so lucky I have Bon-Bon to help keep me sane, or I would probably be just as bad.”

I don’t know how I felt after hearing that. Jealous or perhaps guilty that up until this moment I’d assumed no one could have any clue what I’d been through, especially here.

I think we just sat there outside of the music shop for half an hour, just enjoying the quiet hustle and bustle of ponies living their lives, their safe and happy lives. Lyra broke the silence first, of course. Just sitting and watching a peaceful town was something I hadn’t done since before I left home, not that home was anywhere near as peaceful or innocent as here.

“Come on, we should get back before Bon-Bon starts worrying that one of us foalnapped the other.” I wasn’t sure if I should be offended or concerned by that, so I settled on amused.

“Well if you’re going to take me somewhere against my will you’ll need to give me a hand up.” I reached out for help only to get a confused look. I gave my hand a look then gave the same look to her forehoof.

“Oh, um… Sure.” She reached out with her hoof despite being confused, the confusion cleared as I grabbed just past her hoof and gave a gentle pull. Not enough to unbalance her but enough to get her to understand what I wanted from her.

My second pull was matched by her pulling her hoof back, I used the momentum to pull myself to my feet, my left shoulder and leg burning in protest. The leg was to be expected but the minor cut from the timberwolf should have healed cleanly by now. Then again it hasn’t even been a full day yet.

“Thanks Lyra… I know that couldn’t be easy for you.” I wasn’t thanking her for the help up, but she didn’t have to know that.

“If you ever want to do the same I’ll be more than happy to. What’s the phrase, ‘lend a hand?’” I think she actually understood, not just what I wasn’t saying but that I didn’t want to acknowledge it either.

I think that Lyra and I are going to get along just fine. Even with her little eccentricities… Not like I’m one to talk.

Author's Note:

Yeah, yeah. I know, it's been a long time.

To be honest I've rewritten this chapter from scratch 4 times... and another dozen partial rewrites.

Still, I am sorry about the wait and hopefully you few who do read this actually enjoy the chapter. Because I'm actually (mostly) happy with it. By the time this is posted I should be partway through the next chapter.