• Published 19th Feb 2017
  • 10,418 Views, 621 Comments

Bushkeeper - Odd_Sarge



A hiker strays a little too far from the trail. Consequently, he's just discovered the hike of a lifetime.

  • ...
42
 621
 10,418

38 - The Antithesis

Andrew… was a wreck.

The teenager’s mind felt like it was in the wrong place. He felt himself at odds with the world, seemingly claimed by an endless cycle of pain and rejuvenation. Each step had led him further into the fresh hell’s depths, culminating in an unrealized promise; one of freedom from the magical land of ponies, dragons, and hydras. That was the goal he faced now, but it wasn’t exactly what he’d started with. The journey begun as a sudden detour, but had blown out into a test of will with pauses of some tranquility in between.

But now, there would be no recuperation. There would be no breaks to the cycle. A world of hope held up Andrew’s shoulders, but atop it sat the weight of countless worries and woes; what hope was there to be found in lieu of lost friendships and ongoing betrayals?

He didn’t know how to answer that.

In hindsight, it truly was a privilege that Andrew could simply sit there in exchange for allowing the rain to have its go at him. It held back, a light drizzle in the cloudless sky, caressing the teenager’s cheeks with each slick and momentary touch. Yet, each droplet left a ghost of a sting in its place, reminding Andrew that despite the odds, he had remained alive and breathing in a warring world away from home. Almost a month of life away from home… or even a month… Andrew didn’t know. He didn’t want to know.

Unadorned titulars, meaningless motions, ineffectual inventions. These had been the staple archeologies of the Bushkeeper’s tale. From the first berry shared, to the countless ideas given in the pursuit of uplift… it had begun with the ponies, and now it would end with the ponies. This was truly going to be the end of his stay here.

Andrew bit into his lip, unsure if he wanted to believe the notion. Or even if he was ready to.

He wiped the tears from his eyes and stood.

The walk was a long one, but Andrew had time on his side. Time knew him all too well. He felt himself more closer to the concept than anything around him; this feeling pooled in the connections between his arrival and return from the pony lands. Time never slowed for him. Time never got ahead of him. Andrew bode himself with time, ignorant of borrowed lies and their heartfelt cries. Had these thoughts consumed him earlier in the journey, Andrew would have laughed with some mirth over the idea that a few creatures could easily hide their innocence behind a facade.

Time was unlike the ponies. Where Andrew had been reluctant to continue forward with them, they urged him forward. When he had gone too far, he’d played right into their hooves. What the ponies had seen in him was easy prey, and what they had used him for was the unabashed domination of the landscape.

“Mint…”

The rain hid the tears.

At the center of it all stood Mint. The azure unicorn that Andrew had trusted. The one he'd held faith. The one he’d loved. That he hated. He… feared.

Above all, Andrew feared the loss of his friend. He didn’t want to lose her no matter the cost. Even across boundaries they’d understood each other, and even through the vile hatred and contempt he knew of her now, there still sat a resemblance of a real… friend.

It all sat there on that dreaded word. Friends and friendship. What meaning did such ideas really have when the world you’d built up to surround friends with collapsed in an instant? It was a whole new environment, with unfamiliar faces and even more unfamiliar ideals. Mint had revealed herself as a monster in Andrew’s eyes, almost irrevocably shattering the teen’s perception of his pony ‘friend.’ What happened now had no effects on the faux past established by Mint. She couldn’t possibly sway him with how much venom had been revealed to Andrew…

But the idea of maintaining a friendship with a ‘demon’ simply reminded the teenager he was stubborn. From the beginning and even now, he’d adhered to a one-track mind. Adventure had taught him nothing. He hadn’t earned any knowledge, everything had been handed to him, a puzzle fed to him piece-by-piece. Nothing had been found, and yet… something was lost. There weren’t any feelings there to guide him, no souls of the sky seeking to use him as a pawn, no animals around the corner prepared to follow him to their next meal. Andrew was an individual, and individuals could make decisions, but societies could change worlds.

That was what it meant to be the Bushkeeper. It was nothing but a title, nothing more than a placard upon a lanyard to show him off to the world as an individual. A Bushkeeper was free to make a name from themselves, and carve the world as they saw fit alongside their peers. It was never their intention to work towards the recession of violence, never their position to be the good of the world, never their duty to take the role of a leader… Andrew had a purpose, and it was up to him to decide what would be done to achieve his goals. All the ponies had wanted was to change their world for the better, and Andrew had answered by seeking to establish a society of ponies; he’d brought it upon them to unite and do it themselves… but the idea had been his own. There had been no direct orders from Harmony. There had been no plans outlined by Mint. All that had been given to Andrew were vague hints of where to go and what to do. It was his mind and his hands alone that had morphed the world.

Andrew had forgotten what it was like to be human.

An individual had power. But it was raw power. Under the guidance of many individuals, this power had meaning. Under the strongest individuals, however, a single mind controlled its power of its own volition. It gave itself meaning, and as such, a means of progression. Life moved forward in a group of consolidated power, and even so, it continued when there was but a single mind. But Andrew realized he had been wrong twice now; it had not been the fact that the ponies could not work together as a people, and it had not been the fact they could not work without a leader to coordinate them—both of these fallacies had been disproven through his actions—it was the fact that the ponies were too consumed by their set definitions of the world. They viewed their landscape as unchangeable, with solid variables in place that had to either be removed or added. The ponies viewed the magical power of the world as one of these variables, and had so strongly believed the Bushkeeper to be a missing variable. Andrew saw past these flaws now, and saw a world of opportunity. Not one of preconceived variables, but one encompassing the freedom of creation; the world was not but presets, it was one where each idea was carefully crafted be it through individuals, or through societies. Only through his presence did the secluded world of ponies begin to crumble.

Andrew was human. That was what made him a Bushkeeper. That was what made him the opposite of what the gods of the world were; the antithesis. Harmony and the goods wanted to take his mind, prevent him from spreading his individuality and world-altering seeds. Their command to him had been to destroy his progress by taking Mint away. His power; friendship with an individual… a herd. He had begun to develop a society, the first step on the path of creation, which the gods themselves viewed as their unchangeable variable truths. He wouldn’t let them destroy what he’d begun. He would tear apart the order of the gods, and in its wake, sow a path of revolution against the values of magic and power. A human was just what the world needed to rid itself of the primordial beings and their bindings against life itself; the ponies simply needed an example to begin their rebellion.

The Bushkeeper’s shoes trudged to a stop before the pony encampment. Andrew breathed a slow, methodical breath.

… But he already knew he didn’t need it.