• Published 19th Feb 2017
  • 10,414 Views, 621 Comments

Bushkeeper - Odd_Sarge



A hiker strays a little too far from the trail. Consequently, he's just discovered the hike of a lifetime.

  • ...
42
 621
 10,414

35 - The Winters Yonder

Mint leaned deep into the palm of the Bushkeeper, her mind in bliss.

“Willhorn.”

She propped herself upright, much to Andrew’s confusion, to watch the stag behind her. Shafts of sunlight sprinkled down through the clouds and between the cervine’s jagged antlers, casting the wise creature in wisdom and intelligence. He pulled up quietly to the herd leader and looked down at the human beside her. The Bushkeeper spouted a few cautious words in his language, followed by a worried glance to Mint, then stalked off to tend to a few of the foals down by the river.

The unicorn’s eyes followed the stag carefully as he folded his legs beneath him, bringing himself down to eye level. There was an obvious pain in the movement, prompting the mare to worry.

“I… age.” He shut his eyes and took a slow breath. “I will not be amongst my fawns for much longer. I must ask you ponies… for assistance.”

Mint sat down and tenderly pressed her hoof to the cervine’s weak chest. “What do you ask?”

The stag wrapped his hoof Mint’s own. “A herd… all I ask. You have leaders: the cloudmaster, faithful and noble; the hornless, powerful and giving; and you…” his grip tightened “willhorn, welcoming and cheerful. You will lead your herds down a line of prosperity, I only ask you take my herd with you… when my… time comes.”

Silenced, the unicorn herd leader eyed Andrew in the distance. “What of the Bushkeeper?” When she looked back to the stag, his eyes were locked on the human.

“It… is not a leader.” The stag blinked once. “The Bushkeeper is… something else. It will bring great change…” His lip quivered visibly, then abruptly stopped. The stag stared down into Mint’s orbs, hope glimmering in his eyes. “A change for the good… a change I do not wish to be left behind on. Already now…” He paused. “You have seen it, have you not?”

Mint thought back to the valley. The land had willed change to the place, but it had not led the herds out. The herd had been separate, and now they stood together. Noise fell dim to the mare’s ears as she reflected on their adventures across the Green Land and over the mountains.

“Yes,” Mint whispered softly.

“Then you know of what will come next?”

“I know… I know that the Bushkeeper is a pony amongst us all. He is already changing our lives and my ponies. Already now we work together, three herds as one… it is unheard of, a foal’s imagination become reality.”

The stag let his grip loose and leant back. “I will be here to help you grow. So will your Bushkeeper.”

Andrew.

“That is how you say his name in his language. Andrew.

“What… What role does... Andrew... play here?”

Mint smiled warmly and looked to the teenager. “He is my friend. He is my protector.” She turned back. “He is the Bushkeeper that the lands have sent us.”