• Published 19th Feb 2017
  • 10,418 Views, 621 Comments

Bushkeeper - Odd_Sarge



A hiker strays a little too far from the trail. Consequently, he's just discovered the hike of a lifetime.

  • ...
42
 621
 10,418

12 - Conflicts

After the roar, Andrew had taken to treading more quietly. The thumps of the hydra moving continued to emanate from the north, and that worried Andrew; he was heading in that direction. The disappearance of the cave had unnerved him, and knowledge that a creature from a previous hostile encounter was present made the situation worse. Andrew’s side had begun to throb again, but he ignored it the best he could, instead directing his focus on the tree brambles ahead.

The forest was different from the one he had established his camp in. The trees were much more gnarled than the birch and oak, and their bark also held a much darker hue. The dirt of the woods was much more firm than Andrew had expected, and he couldn’t believe that trees were able to grow on the incline; there was practically no grass around.

He paused, a loud, rumbling roar surging through the air above him. Below him, the earth shook, pebbles slipping from their homes on the incline and back down towards the field. After a moment, all fell still. Andrew stood there, taking in the silence carefully. What had happened to the hydra? It no longer moved, and the forest’s eerie quiet had begun to dig into Andrew’s worries. After another minute of standing still, Andrew began moving up the slope once again.

Strange bubbling could be heard, and with a wince at a sudden earthen smell, Andrew realized that he was stepping into a bog. More specifically, the bog of the hydra. He took one last breath of the fresh air in the forest and stepped out into the marsh.

It was just like he remembered from three days prior; it was rank, muddy, and more importantly, full of frogs. Within moments of stepping onto the edges of the bog, various frogs that were sunbathing on the drier parts of the bog immediately began croaking at him. One nearby even jumped up from its place near Andrew and right onto his foot. As carefully he could, Andrew shook the annoying critter from his foot and began walking around the edge of the bog. He was just about to pass back into the forest to his left, but something caught his eye from the center of the bog in a small patch of grass. He couldn’t tell what it was, but it was something shiny, and most likely metallic. Andrew weighed his options; he could go and leave his curiosity unsated, or he could go snooping once again…

"Dibs!” he shouted, jumping over a group of squawking frogs and onto a dry patch of land towards the center. Within half a minute, Andrew had hopped between eight patches of land untouched by mud and reached the center island. Crouching down, he picked up the shiny object. He laughed in joy and pulled it close; it was his thermos. Andrew settled down, looking it over for any damage.

'How did this even get here?' Shrugging, Andrew slipped the relatively clean bottle back into its spot on his pack. He returned back to the edge of the clearing, gave a glare to a frog croaking loudly before him, then shifted back into the trees.

Feeling cheery with his discovery, Andrew brought the thermos out again and rolled it over in his hand, using his stick to make sure he would not trip over anything ahead of him. The metallic container had served him well for well over half a decade, having been an early present from one of his friends after their first hiking trip. It brought happy memories to his mind, but it also brought to light just how important storing food and water would be in the new land.

Winter was coming, that he knew for certain. Glazing over the fact that he could clearly understand the ponies at times, which he assumed had something to do with the orb, Andrew figured that the ponies had survived in these plains and forests for much longer than he had, so they must of had some understanding of storing food. He put the thermos back, glancing around the strange forest as he thought again to the ponies. They had no fire, but they did have a language. Teaching them how to create fire would be a good start in preparing for winter, but beyond that, Andrew did not truly know how to help the ponies any further.

'Simple tools, maybe? That would be a good start, especially for making shelter.' He thought back to the earth pony cavern, laughing quietly to himself. 'Those ones should be fine with their shelter, though.' Andrew basked in the birdsong that had returned to the woods, enjoying the walk to its fullest extent. The tree branches here were high enough to avoid pushing them out of the way, but as Andrew reached the fifteen minute mark in his walk, the trees gave way to their oak and birch brethren. A few more minutes found Andrew back in the Greenland. Heaving a sigh of relief, Andrew clambered up over the same hill he had climbed earlier and made his way to the center of the plain.

As he stood close to the earth pony den, he checked his watch. It had been about an hour since he had started his hike, which surprised him greatly. That left him with enough time to spend the rest of the morning with the ponies, or to scout further east. The bag on his back rested comfortably on his shoulders, but it was simply not useful at the moment. For the time being, Andrew decided to check in with the ponies at the camp, as well as drop off his possessions.

When Andrew came back into the clearing, he could see that most of the ponies were simply resting. He supposed that there really wasn’t much to do around here; hunger was sated with the berries, and water was provided by the stream nearby. Mint was one of the few ponies up and about, and she immediately came up to Andrew. He expected her to nuzzle him, or show some form of appreciation that had become normal for both Andrew and her, but all he received was a worried whinny.

"Bushkeeper?"

Andrew crouched down. “What’s up?” She looked around the clearing at the ponies, alerting Andrew to the fact that they weren’t resting, they were cowering.

Mint turned back to him, neighing. "Monster."

Andrew was immediately on his feet at that. “Monster?”

Mint pointed a hoof towards the south. 'The hydra,' he thought. The idea slipped away just as quickly as it had come when Mint redirected her hoof to the east. 'Or not.'

"Come," she snorted, motioning with her head for Andrew to follow. Sliding through a tight gap in the thicket of berry bushes, Andrew found himself standing amongst a small group of familiar ponies; Greeny and Lemon were making an exchange, whilst the orange earth pony, who had carried Andrew, and the brown mare, stood off to the side, watching the unicorns silently. The two unicorns halted their conversation and turned to Andrew, their expressions matching that of Mint.

The orange earth pony snorted and bowed his head at Andrew’s arrival. "Bushkeeper."

Andrew gave a curt nod and threw his eyes back to Mint. “What’s all this about, Mint?” The mare in question ignored him, instead rounding up the four ponies to form a group of six.

With another neigh, Mint and the ponies began walking.

Andrew followed the five ponies as they led him east. Uneasiness began to settle onto the group, Andrew taking notice of such when Greeny began to whimper, but Mint leant close to him, calming the stallion. After much more longer than Andrew expected, the group came to a stop at the end of the treeline. He checked his watch; noon had come around in their hourlong trip.

"There!"

Andrew looked up at the sound of Mint’s whimper, and he was horrified to see what was ahead of him.

A giant green valley covered the area far ahead of them, stretching for what was certainly miles. An incredibly tall peak sat about ten miles away to the northeast, two magnificent waterfalls visible from the group’s position at the edge of the thicket forest. Further east, a large river ran through a forest to the south, and north through a mountain chain attached to the tall peak. In the center of the green valley erupted billowing pillars of smoke, the results of large fires that had set the world ablaze. Andrew suddenly felt that the spiders were the least of his problems, his eyes landing on the source of the flames; a huge red dragon.

The dragon roared, sending the ponies beside Andrew scrambling for cover in the forest. Andrew stood there, watching the two behemoths duke it out, the four-headed hydra snapping its heads in combined effort at the dragon soaring above it. Spouts of flame erupted from the mouth of the mythological beast, scouring the once green lands below with red and yellow. Andrew spotted a herd of bison near the base of the towering peak at the end of the mountain chain. He was happy to notice the bison galloping northward; he knew that they would be safe from the needless destruction happening below them, but also felt that he would not be seeing them around the area for a very long time. There was a pained roar, this time from the hydra, and Andrew was quick to see what had happened.

The hydra’s scales seemed immune to the fire, but it clearly was not immune to the sharp claws or teeth of the dragon. There was a scuffle between the two as they rolled in the valley, fighting tooth and claw for victory. Andrew could see mud being flung up from the hydra’s form, and with almost comedic accuracy, some of the mud landed directly in the dragon’s eyes. Hissing, the dragon opened his mouth to shoot a gout of flame, but then, as a surprise to every creature within twenty miles, water began to spew from the hydra’s maw.

The dragon was caught off guard by the loud and powerful burst of water. Its eyes were cleared of mud, but water slunk down its own throat. Coughing up a cloud of black smoke, Andrew realized that the hydra must have extinguished the flames that had been rising up. With one last growl, the dragon rose up on its wings and soared over the hydra, heading southeast. As it disappeared behind the cover of a forest, the hydra let out a roar and stomped back towards the ponies and Andrew. Stumbling for cover, Andrew took a spot besides Mint, and as a group, they watched the hydra stomp back over a portion of the forest south of them, no doubt going back to its home in the swamp.

Andrew breathed a sigh of relief and stood. He readied himself to go but realized that there was one last crucial detail of the battle left behind; the valley was still burning. Whipping around on his heels, Andrew stared at the burning valley. There was nothing he could do but watch as the grassland burned. Then, with startling comprehension, Andrew took notice of the fact that the flames could definitely reach the forest he was standing in. Unlike the forest east of the flames, the forest of the berry thicket was not separated from the fire by a river. Just as Andrew was panicking over what to do, Mint tugged on his arm.

He looked to the mare. “Yes?”

“Pegasus,” she whimpered. Andrew blinked at that.

“What about them?”

This time, Mint spoke in her own language. She stomped her hoof. "Cloudmasters!"

Andrew’s eyes widened at that. He had seen the pegasi somehow landing on the clouds, so could that mean they could take the water out from the clouds and use it on the fire?

“But there’s no way we could get to them in time!”

Mint grunted, understanding their plight. She turned to Greeny and Lemon, snorting. Andrew did not understand the last word that she spoke, but he did catch most of the sentence.

"Lend me your fwafwa."

Greeny and Lemon acted simultaneously, bowing low to the ground. The brown mare and orange stallion seemed disgusted at what was happening, but stepped back otherwise. Andrew stood there, confusedly transfixed on the wisps of light that were seeping from the two kneeling unicorns’ horns. The trails drifted from their horns and towards Mint’s own. As the brightness intensified on her own horn, Mint’s eyes squeezed shut, her teeth gnashed together in pain. Andrew reached out to touch her, but before he could, the world dropped out from beneath him.

As the three unicorns sat there, staring at the spot where Andrew had once been standing, the orange stallion bowed his head low, muttering the earth pony tribe’s age old phrase. The brown mare butt her head against her brother’s own, and the two repeated the phrase in unison.

"Earth be with you."

Author's Note:

Tried a couple new formatting types for my writing: split up the dialogue so It's a lot more clear of who's talking, and threw more descriptive paragraphs together.