• Published 30th Nov 2016
  • 3,078 Views, 587 Comments

Memoir of Misery - Silvak



With her memories returning, Sapphire has to endure the mystery of why she is receiving visions of monsters that Equestria never seen before, as she continues to try to make a new life for herself while searching for her old one.

  • ...
7
 587
 3,078

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter LII: Fridge

“Okay... this examination is more in dep-guh!” Sapphire started to say until Clear shoved a swab into her mouth as she rubbed it around vigorously with her magic.

“It’s due to you being not only an alicorn, but one from another world! Just imagine the genetic deviations that would have resulted from an isolated population of ponies that had been separated from Equestria and lived under different conditions! The fact that you have denser bones could just be the tip of the iceberg here! You’re practically a genetic gold mine!” Clear explained with glee.

Frowning in response after Clear extracted her swab, Sapphire replied, “I don’t think that matters so much that y—“

“Have you considered looking into her intestinal tract? Maybe her consumption rate is related to the genetic differences instead of her being a growing alicorn, or at least contribute to her metabolism,” Twilight interjected, which led to Sapphire doing a double-take at Twilight.

“Good idea! No wonder Celestia chose you as her student!” Clear stated as Sapphire shifted her attention rapidly between the two. “Do you have any other suggestions you want to offer?”

“I’m so going to get you back for this, Twilight,” Sapphire muttered to herself as she glared at Twilight while she was chatting up various other things to test for.


“Sapphire, be reasonable. Like Clear Heart has said, the revelation that you’re a member of an offshoot of ponies that had developed on their own on another planet means that all sort of genetic developments could have happened that could revolutionize what ponies think about evolution!”

“You didn’t even try to ask me for permission first.”

“There are things that science can't wait for! Girls, back me up on this,” Twilight cried out as she threw her forelegs towards the rest of her friends, who were all seated on the seats of the royal train car as they were heading towards Ponyville. After the medical exam had ended, Sapphire was informed by Celestia that she could spend her vacation in Ponyville if she so desired, an offer that she gladly accepted.

"I don't like sayin' this Twi, but Sapphire has a point there. You just went and joined in on with Clear without even askin' if it was alright with Sapphire," Applejack stated with a disapproving shake of her head.

"Applejack's right, dear. As much as you love learning new things and Sapphire's origins present something brand new to this field of genetics you're interested in, one does not simply slap a pony onto a table and examine them like some object," Rarity added in as Sapphire raised an eyebrow since Rarity did have a bad habit of forcing some ponies into dresses on a whim.

"Yeah. If I had a say in stopping that, I would have stopped it in ten seconds flat!" Rainbow declared while beating a hoof against her chest.

"Yeah, it was kind of creepy how you wanted to go looking in Sapphire's stomach and other icky places like that. I don't think Sapphire was having any sorts of fun while that was happening to her," Pinkie said with a slight frown before smiling as she added, "Unless you were planning on giving her lots of candy and sweets! That always made me feel better when I have to go to the doctor for icky things!"

“Umm... maybe you could have to asked Sapphire first?” Fluttershy mumbled out, causing Twilight to look around at the group before letting out a sigh.

Turning towards Sapphire with eyes full of remorse, Twilight said, “I guess that I may have been a little b—“

“A little?!” Sapphire interjected with a raised eyebrow.

“...Okay, maybe I went overboard with my enthusiasm for learning more about your body. I shouldn’t have simply made a situation that was uncomfortable even worse for you without asking first. I’m sorry for my actions, Sapphire,” Twilight said as Rainbow snickered at what Twilight said.

After staring at Twilight for a moment, who squirmed a bit during the duration, Sapphire eventually said, “I forgive you Twilight.” However, just as Twilight was starting to cheer up, Sapphire added, “But as punishment, you’re helping me get groceries for my house in Ponyville.”

Paling at the thought of providing food for Sapphire, Twilight asked in a polite tone, “Am I filling your whole kitchen with food?” as she had a forced smile on her face.

Staring at Twilight once more, causing the mare to sweat as she thought about just how much of a bill it would be to stock Sapphire’s kitchen, Sapphire first finally answered, “Nah, just my fridge. I can handle my pantry and everywhere else.”

As Twilight let out a sigh of relief, Pinkie and Rainbow broke out in laughter as Rainbow stated, “Nice one, Sapphire! You really had Twilight going there for a bit!”

Letting out a giggle as Twilight took on an annoyed expression with her cheeks heating up from embarrassment, Sapphire said, “Sorry about that Twilight. I just wanted some payback for the examination.”

Folding her forelegs over her chest as her cheeks puffed out a bit, Twilight replied, “I’ll admit... I did deserve something like that, but you have to cut me some slack since you do eat far more than what a normal family would eat.”

Tapping her chin, Sapphire responded, “Hmm... considering what you participated in earlier, I think that I already cut you way too much slack already, so you should be grateful for what you get. Though I wonder how my house has been al this time after I left it. I do hope that its still standing.”

“Now that you don’t have to worry about sugarcube. There may have been a few crowds of ponies that wanted to get inside your house, but the mayor deterred them from doing so by sayin' that they would be trespassin' on the property of a princess. I don't know how trespassin' laws work when doing it to royalty, but that might have a harsher punishment than normal, I reckon. So lately, only a couple of ponies just show up every now and then to take some photos in front of your house," Applejack replied.

Grimacing at the news, Sapphire said, "Sounds like if I don't keep news of my vacation being in Ponyville a secret, a crowd is going to show up after a few days. And considering that I'm in a train car that just screams, 'Incoming Princess', I’m doomed!"

"Umm... you do know we were the only ponies on this train, and that there's no other train cars but this one?" Rainbow pointed out, causing Sapphire's eyes to widen as she just stared at the pegasus. "Sapphire? Hello? Are you...in there? I think I just broke her," Rainbow commented as she waved a foreleg in front of Sapphire's face until Sapphire grabbed it with her hooves, eliciting a cry of surprise from the mare.

With a look of hope on her face, Sapphire ordered, "Rainbow, go to all the ponies on the train crew and tell them to ke—"

"You do know that ponies did see us leave the station. When they find out that you're not in Vanhoover, the newponies will hunt you down in a matter of days. If you actually tried to keep it a secret, the moment they found you out, they're going to assume that you're trying to hide something, or that there’s some scandal going on. Ultimately dear, it's better to be open about this than try to hide and risk the potential fallout," Rarity interjected, causing Sapphire's ears to droop in disappointment.

"Rarity has a point there, sugarcube. Honesty is the best policy after all. You don't want ponies to start doubtin' what you say or do early on," Applejack added in.

Letting out a sigh, Sapphire said, "Alright, alright I get it. Don't try to silence everypony just so I can have a private vacation. But I would like it if you girls would help me out by keeping the crowds from getting too large or bothersome, alright?" Getting a round of agreement from everypony, though Fluttershy just mumbled something out that Sapphire couldn't understand, Sapphire then said, "Alright then, let's just hope that there ain't anypony hiding in the house, waiting to spring a trap on me the moment I set a hoof inside."


"Well, it's still standing," Sapphire commented as she and the Elements were standing outside of Sapphire's house, which was missing its fence as well as some of the parts of the walkway to the front door.

"I reckon that I may have forgotten the part about ponies takin' some of the front of your place as souvenirs," Applejack admitted as she lowered her hat down her face a bit to hide some of her shame.

"...Typical," Sapphire simply stated before going up to the front door, opening it as she stepped inside the house to find that it wasn't disturbed. "Well, it looks like the interior is fine. I'm not missing any furniture."

"Yes... but the weeks without your presence did take its toll," Rarity commented as she grimaced at the sight of dust on the floor and furniture. "Just give me a moment to head back to my home and I'll get all the cleaning utensils that you would need dear.”

"No need for that," Sapphire stated as she lit her horn up, bringing in a mass of water that she immediately swiped over the floor and furniture, wiping off all the dust before tossing the now dirty water out the front door. "All clean now," Sapphire said with a smile as Rarity blinked in surprise while Twilight teleported a notepad and was writing down notes.

"Umm... wow... that is one useful spell you used there darling, and... the floors are completely dry," Rarity replied as she marveled at the sight. "I so wish I knew that spell whenever Sweetie Belle has one of her messier 'crusades' in my home."

"I don't think that’s a spell that Sapphire could teach Rarity. Considering that Sapphire has to carefully pick up the dirt and dust without leaving any water molecules behind means that her water manipulation talent probably played a role in it. Henceforth, the odds of you being able to learn, yet alone master, that spell is statistically low," Twilight countered, causing the rest of the group to just stared at her. "What?"

"Twilight dear, we all know about Sapphire's special talent, and I was just longing for a spell similar to Sapphire's cleaning one. I know that it is far beyond my own magical ability, but a pony can still dream, right?" Rarity explained, causing Twilight's face to redden up a bit.

"I was just stating the facts," Twilight mumbled out as Sapphire rolled her eyes before heading to the kitchen. Arriving in front of her fridge, Sapphire opened it only to slam it shut as she covered her mouth with the tips of her wings as she heard some ponies gagging behind her.

"Okay... I think I might need your help cleaning out my fridge, Rarity. I don't think my water could scrub that scent out as easy as it picked up the dust from the floor," Sapphire stated as eyed the pantry, shivering at the thought of what foods might have gone bad during her time away. "What a waste of good food..."

"Well, at least you got Twilight to fill your fridge back up," Rainbow said as Twilight shot her a dirty look from behind her. “And you’re a princess, so aren’t you rich or able to just demand food cause you’re a princess?”

Gingerly opening one of her cupboards only to see ama couple rats among some food scraps staring back at her, Sapphire replied, “Not really, Rainbow. I mean, I do get a stipend for being a princess, but it’s not a big as you think. All the lavish living and things like that only comes when you’re living in the royal palace or doing royal visits and stuff like that. But since I’m on a vacation, I just have to rely on the bits that I have with me... but you’re right. Twilight is compensating me for my discomfort by restocking my fridge. My entire fridge.”

With a smirk on her face, Sapphire turned to look at Twilight, who was looking at Sapphire’s fridge with a bit of dread before she hung her head as she said, “There goes my fifth edition of The History of the Eastern Griffon Empire.”

PreviousChapters Next