• Published 30th Nov 2016
  • 3,078 Views, 587 Comments

Memoir of Misery - Silvak



With her memories returning, Sapphire has to endure the mystery of why she is receiving visions of monsters that Equestria never seen before, as she continues to try to make a new life for herself while searching for her old one.

  • ...
7
 587
 3,078

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter LI: Rest

"So, a descendant of the four clans is a princess now."

"You sound... surprised... I think."

"The other three clans are still nomadic in nature, so the idea of even a member of Arulas's clan being a princess is a rather foreign concept," Bleak said as her, Sapphire, and Luna were in Luna's office. To Sapphire's relief, Skyward was off writing letters to all his kin about Sapphire's confirmation of being part of the Arulas clan, along with the discovery of what really happened to the clan.

"One mustn't be surprised by the backgrounds of some rather talented ponies. Some of history's most important ponies were from humble beginnings," Luna replied as she nursed a cup of coffee since the last night's dream session took a toll on her.

"Perhaps, though this could serve as an example to the other three clans. We have been searching the world for so long, I wouldn't be surprised if our wanderlust came to an end as a whole upon hearing Sapphire's revelation. Though it will take some time for those to shake off the age-old need to search, and there may be some that would want to continue to wander for the sake of it,” Bleak stated as she looked out the window, her expression as bland as ever.

“But what of your case? What do you desire, Miss Valley?” Luna asked, which prompted said mare to shift her attention towards her.

“...I think I will try my hoof at some mining. It would be pleasant to be able to mine at one spot for a change,” Bleak answered after a moment of silence. “Is there anything else you two need, your highnesses?”

As Luna shared a glance with Sapphire before indicating with her head for her to speak, Sapphire withheld a sigh as she said, “I don’t think we have anything else that we would need from you... But, if you’re going to stay here and need a job, there is a quarry in the nearby town of Tall Tale that could use a few more workers.”

“I see, I will keep that in mind. If I’m no longer needed, then I will take my leave,” Bleak said before heading out the front door.

Turning her attention towards Sapphire after Bleak’s departure, Luna stated, “If Bleak’s predictions are correct, then Vanhoover will be getting a second influx of ponies to its current population. Between the potential immigrants from the clans, the guards, the possible family members that may arrive to join them, and the ponies that simply come to the city to follow you. Vanhoover will be needing some expansion projects to compensate with the growing population. Something that you will need to have a hoof in since this growth is all thanks to you.”


Blinking in surprise, Sapphire asked, “Really? Do you actually think I’m ready for such a thing?"

"Not to direct it on your own, though you could express your opinions and learn from the experience,” Luna explained, causing Sapphire to nod before she paused as something crossed her mind.

“Wait a minute, the lands west of Applewood and Vanhoover are unexplored territory, right?” Sapphire asked.

“Beyond a few expeditions and the occasional pony that desires to brave those lands, not much has been discovered. Why do you ask, Sapphire?” Luna replied with a curious look.

“Well, remember that the three clans have been searching all of Equus for any sign of the Arulas clan? Do you think they would have explored that region at least once during their search?” Sapphire asked, causing Luna’s eyes to widen.

“And with the possibility of some members of those clans coming over here, they could spearfront an exploration into the west and possibly know of potential areas for settlement! Your appearance surely heralds an age of expansion for Equestria!” Luna declared while pointing her forehoof up into the air.

“Umm... why are you do—“ Sapphire started to say until her mouth was forced shut.

“Silence! Let me have my moment,” Luna ordered until a scroll suddenly appeared in the room with a flash of magic. Scowling at the scroll’s appearance, Luna let out a sigh as she levitated the scroll towards her face as she muttered, “Oh course my sister would ruin the moment,” as her eyes scanned the seal of the scroll. Raising an eyebrow, Luna levitated the scroll to Sapphire as she said, “It’s for you.”

Cocking an eyebrow, Sapphire lit her horn up as she took the scroll in her magic, unfurling it before looking at Luna as she pointed a hoof at her mouth. Blushing a bit, Luna ended her hold on Sapphire's mouth as she looked to the side. Rolling her eyes, Sapphire looked at the scroll as she read aloud, "Dear Sapphire, due to the memories you recently gained and the implications they have in regards to Equestria as well as you, I request your presence back in Canterlot. Expect the trip to at least take a few weeks, though Luna will manage your affairs in Vanhoover in your stead. She will be sending you any messages on anything that would have long-term effects on your operations. However, Luna will be putting your memory sessions on hold to allow you time to recover. All will be revealed when you arrive at Canterlot Castle, Celestia."

Snorting, Luna muttered, "Expecting me to do that without even consulting me, how da—"

"Luna, just how often does Celestia try to hide information from others?" Sapphire said in a dry tone as she turned her head to look at Luna.

"Too often for her own good," Luna blandly replied as Sapphire shook her head in response.


"Sapphire, it is good to see that you have ar—"

"Cut with the chit chat Celestia, and let's just get to the reason why you summoned me here," Sapphire demanded as she looked at Celestia in annoyance, who was sitting on her throne with Sapphire standing just ten feet away from her.

Raising an eyebrow, Celestia commented, "Somepony woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning."

"Well, I just got here after being told to come without any reason behind it. So forgive me if I'm getting a little bit tired of all the cryptic actions ponies have been doing around me lately," Sapphire replied in an annoyed tone.

"Forgive me, but sometimes I think that some surprises should be kept a secret," Celestia said with a smile, causing Sapphire's left eye to twitch in turn.

"Surprise? Kept a secret? What are you tal—" Sapphire started to say as she pointed a hoof at Celestia before the throne room doors opened as something tackled Sapphire from behind, knocking her to the floor.

"Surprise! Did you miss me, Sapphire!" Pinkie explained with a wide grin as she embraced Sapphire in such a tight hug that the mare was using her forehooves to pry Pinkie's forelegs from her.

"Pinkie, I still need air! Even if I am an alicorn!" Sapphire cried out before pulling Pinkie off her. Turning around to give Pinkie an annoyed glare, Sapphire said, "Pinkie, don't try to stra—wait, what are you doing here?" as her annoyed expression faded into one of confusion.

"It's quite simply darling. After hearing that your memories are far more complicated, and more stressful, than any of us had expected. So, Celestia had requested our presence for your sake, which is something that we would be glad to answer for one of our friends," Rarity stated as she and the rest of the Elements walked in, all smiling at seeing Sapphire again as she stared at them in surprise.

Smirking at the scene, Celestia asked, "Do you still think that my cryptic actions were still unwarranted?"

"I'll... put your letter under review again..." Sapphire answered before shaking her head clear of her confusion.

Letting out a groan, Rainbow commented, "Augh, she's already talking like a politician! Next thing you know, she'll be talking like an egghead!"

"Rainbow, do you have to be so rude when talking to our dear friend? Remember that she is a princess after all dear, so naturally, she would have to pursue her education with more passion if she's going to be ruling in Vanhoover," Rarity stated with a glare directed at Rainbow.

"What I'm more interested in is just what is causing yourself so much stress, Sapphire?" Twilight said as she stepped to the front of the group. "You were having such peaceful memories about your fillyhood before you went to Canterlot..."

Releasing a sigh, Sapphire answered, "Let's just say that my fillyhood came to an abrupt end with... the death of my parents..." causing the Elements to gasp in surprise. "We might want to go to another room, cause this may take a while to explain."


"Wait a minute, are you saying that you were raised to fight giant monsters?"

"Well, I think it might be more on defending myself against giant monsters, though I have a feeling that there is something else going on that I have yet to remember."

"I repeat, you were raised to fight giant monsters?" Rainbow asked as she threw her hooves before her, as she and the rest of the elements were sitting on cushions in a private room in the castle, with Celestia just standing outside of what Twilight quoted as their 'friendship circle'. "I mean, that is so awesome! First you're a princess, and now you're a monster fighter? What next, you'll be a member of the Wonderbolts too‽"

"I don't think that you can be a princess and a member of the Wonderbolts at the same time, Rainbow. Though I will say... it is sad to hear how your parents... passed away," Applejack replied as she held her hat to her chest.

Taking down notes on a scroll that was held up before her with her magic, Twilight said, "I'm more worried about this monster that Sapphire remembers. If the Arulas clan named that monster Mayhem, and the statements her past self made about various concepts causing trouble such as Agony, it might indicate that there are monsters of incredible power roaming Sapphire's homeworld. Monsters that could potentially come to our world the same way Sapphire did," causing Fluttershy to curl up and hide behind her mane.

"Indeed, but the mystery of the Arulas clan has been solved. One of Equestria's oldest myths now has some kind of conclusion to it. Though, I do wonder what kind of fashion styles such a culture would have after several thousand years," Rarity commented before rubbing her chin in thought.

"Well, I for one think that Sapphire needs to be cheered up! And let's do it with a 'Congratulations in Memory Recall!' It would be the best party for an alicorn, ever!" Pinkie exclaimed before giving Sapphire another bone-crushing hug.

Gasping for air after Sapphire was released, she looked at Celestia, who was standing off to the side as she asked, "Alright... I'll finally admit that I think that this surprise wasn't a bad one, but this can't be what you brought me to Canterlot for."

"Actually, this is basically what my intentions were. For you to spend a couple weeks with your friends without your princess duties keeping you too busy and let you even find some relaxation. After facing the Mayhem Beast, I believe that you would need some time to unwind from such a memory and the horrors you have seen in it. So what better way to help you relax is to have you stay with your friends for a couple weeks in order to get some of it out of your system. Though, there are a couple of tiny reasons for you being in Canterlot, but for the most part, you will be having a vacation in Ponyville. Unless you have another city in mind that you would like to spend your vacation in." Celestia replied, causing Sapphire to blink in utter surprise before she shook her head to compose herself.

"Wait a minute, just what are those tiny reasons you're talking about?" Sapphire asked with a somewhat skeptical look on her face.

"Oh, it's mo—" Celestia started to say before the doors to the room opened to reveal Clear Heart and her colleagues.

"It's medical examination time, princess from another world!" Clear Heart cried out with such excitement that it caused some of the other ponies to think that she's just a doctor version of Pinkie, while Sapphire just folded her ears at the implications of Clear Heart's look of glee.

...This is so going to hurt me in the end Sapphire thought to herself as the doctor and her aids started to swarm around her, making her wonder if these were the last days of her life before she gets dissected or whatever Clear has in store for her.

PreviousChapters Next