• Published 8th Dec 2016
  • 2,389 Views, 46 Comments

Lost Opportunities - Mewrilah



A series of shorts to where you lose opportunities. What opportunities you ask? Well read on to find out.

  • ...
13
 46
 2,389

Luna

You had asked her how many stars filled her brilliant night sky to which she simply replied too many to count. She in turn asked if an Equestrian night differed from one on Earth to which you replied the two weren’t even close. The lunar princess looked a little disappointed from that response, so you quickly added that no night on Earth could come close to rivaling her’s. She seemed to perk up at that and just smiled.

That meeting played out a few weeks ago, the first time the princess of the night had actually opened up to you. Her sister, Princess Celestia, was the one who found you as she strolled through the Royal Gardens. She proceeded to wake you up after determining you weren’t a threat, and after a few moments of awkward explaining and believing you were allowed to accompany her. The rest of that day you were politely interrogated by the princess in the throne room, where you both exchanged questions.

She decided to end the conversation as it was time for dinner. Looking out the window, you gave her a look of confusion as it still looked bright as day outside. You spoke your thoughts to which she chuckled at your remark, explaining that she and her sister were responsible for day and night. You were about to ask what she meant by that when said sister, you assumed by the size of her along with being an “alicorn”, walked in.

“So how was … Tia, why are you talking to a monkey?” the sister asked in pure curiosity.

“Lulu I would like you to meet ____________, the human. While being primates, they usually don’t appreciate having that fact stated,” Celestia explained for you.

“I see,” the princess of the night responded, eyeing you now in what seemed distrust. “What is it doing here?”

“I found him in the gardens, asleep. According to him, the last thing he remembered before waking up was that he was taking a nightly stroll in the park when a bright flash of light came from the sky and knocked him out.”

Luna’s face seemed to change for a second before she spoke to you, “A flash of light you say?”

You nodded your head and would have said more but suddenly being this close to the mare had caused a loss of words for you.

A few moments of awkward silence lingered over your heads before Celestia reminded her sister of their duties. With a glow of their horns, you noticed the lighting change and looking outside saw the true extent of their power. The sun dipped faster than it should into the horizon and in that brief moment of darkness, the moon rose to take it’s place. Your expression apparently spoke for you.

“I think that’s enough surprises for our guest today,” Celestia chuckled, wrapping a wing around you. “Let’s get you something to eat and then show you to your room.”

“I must be off Tia, I cannot leave the Dream realm unattended,” Luna stated.

“That’s never stopped you from roaming the corridors when you were bored,” Celestia stared at her sister, with a look of an older sister who was annoyed with the younger one’s misbehavior.

“Farewell, ape,” the navy blue mare dismissed, before vanishing in a flash of blue light.

Your hostess frowned and let out a sigh before turning to you. “I’m sorry about my sister’s attitude. She of all ponies should know how to treat guests, with all those silly rules she’s tried to add to common Canterlot etiquette.”

You reassured her that no harm was done. You didn’t expect such a warm welcome or for anyone here to even trust you. Given some time, Princess Luna might warm up to you, although you hoped you didn’t have to be here that long for that to happen. She smiled and promised that she would do everything in her power to try and find you a way back home.

The next few weeks weren’t as bad as you imagined. You were free to roam the castle, not too many restricted areas and plenty of staff to keep you company. Even Princess Celestia would check up on you from time to time, giving you status updates on the progress to get you home or just to see how you were doing. But it was who wasn’t keeping you company that mostly intrigued you. When you couldn’t sleep, you would walk through the corridors, the guards paying you no mind once you explained why you were up. On several occasions, you would run into the Princess of the Night, and before you could even exchange a greeting, she would teleport away.

Then one night you had a nightmare. It didn’t start off as one though. Celestia had found a spell that would teleport you back home. After thanking her for not only working hard to find the spell but also treating you as royalty, you were sent on your way. You arrived in front of your house, at least the building itself looked like your house. The lawn had drastically changed, where a proud oak tree stood was now a circular flower garden. In the driveway a car that you could only dream of owning was parked. The front door opened and a family came out, all who stared back at you.

“Mommy? Why is there a strange man standing on our sidewalk?”

“I don’t know who you are but you better get moving along before I call the cops,” the father yelled at you.

“Bu- but, but I live here,” you stammered, trying to make sense of what was happening.

“No, we live here,” the man responded, his eyebrows scrunching into a bigger frown. “Have been since the last owner just disappeared. This is my last warning. Leave the property or I’m calling the police.”

You wanted to argue that you were the missing owner, but decided it’d be a waste of time. All you could think of was just seeing your family and telling them that you were ok. Obeying your thoughts, the dream shifted, but instead of being at your parent’s house, you were in the local cemetery. Before you was their grave, the dates ending almost 40 years from when you disappeared. A few weeks in Equestria was 4 decades back on Earth? You started to cry, your parents never knew what happened to you and worried about you till their dying day. They were the only thing you had left, you were a single child and if 40 years had passed, most everyone you knew would’ve changed as well, some may not even remember after all that time.

The ground underneath you started to shake, a fissure slowly opening beneath your feet. Your parent’s grave was swallowed up and as you ran through the cemetery, it seemed the entire planet was collapsing. At some point you couldn’t keep running and yelled as the ground gave way under you. You shut your eyes, just waiting for the fall to end with your death, but instead of landing on something hard, it felt like you were caught.

Looking down you were as surprised as grateful that Princess Luna had stopped the fall. Before you could even thank her, she teleported you both out of harm’s way. When you opened your eyes again you were still clutching around her neck, which you quickly released and promptly hopped off her back. You were about to shower her with gratitude when she surprised you yet again.

“I’m sorry,” she spoke in a whisper.

Sorry? Sorry for saving your life? Sorry for not appearing sooner? You didn’t understand and told her as much.

She let out a sigh and continued. “It’s my fault you are here.”

You wouldn’t say fault, after all being “here” was better than being where you previously were. You looked around and appeared to be in space, looking over a galaxy you didn’t recognize.

“No, it’s my fault you are in Equestria,” she shook her head, squeezing her eyes shut. “I was experimenting with a spell and something went wrong. I checked all of Equestria but didn’t find anything out of place. It must have been sometime after that you arrived.”
You nodded your head solemnly. You asked her if that’s why she avoided you all this time.

“It was one of the reasons,” she admitted. “I did not trust you at first, thinking you had some ulterior motive. Then I saw how kind you were to everypony, and how you had tried several times to befriend me, despite my rejections. Looking at your dreams, your intentions were pure, all you wanted to do was to return home. This nightmare demonstrates that clearly.”

Seeing as everything seemed to be alright between the two of you, you ventured to ask if she wouldn’t mind chatting, since you were still curious to know more about her. She was surprised that you weren’t angry at her for tearing you away from your world, but you explained it was just a freakish accident, not something she did on purpose. That seemed to ease some of her tension and for the first time in Equestria, you saw her beautiful smile.

Now you sat in your room, once again unable to sleep. From the moment you met Luna, you had developed an interest in her, although it didn’t start as romantic. It was mostly due to her constant avoidance of you that drew you in, the mysterious aura around her too hard to ignore. Once you got her to open up, you fell for her shy yet commanding personality.

She also was physically appealing, to your surprise. Her large teal eyes, who harbored an array of emotions, from betrayal and sadness to self-hatred and envy to the simple desire to be loved and adored. Then of course there was her radiant smile, rarely seen, but worth all the effort to make it appear. Her entire body was statuesque, even when relaxed she carried a noble form.

You had considered telling her but there would be no point. She was royalty, you were a commoner, a mortal and above all, another species. Besides, she didn’t seem interested in being in a relationship with anyone. You sighed as you contemplated your dilemma. Eventually you did drift off to sleep. However instead of going directly to your dream you were suspended in space, from the looks of it the same space where Luna had opened up to you. Looking around you indeed found her.

“Princess Luna? Why are we here?”

“We need to discuss your feelings for me,” she nonchalantly replied.

That threw you off guard. You didn’t have any dreams about her and restrained any emotion you showed her. Picking up on your anxiety, she continued.

“You aren’t in trouble ____________. I’m actually flattered that you feel that way about me, but we still need to discuss why it won’t work.”

“It’s because I’m a normal human, right?” you guessed, feeling defeated.

“No, that’s not the reason.”
“Then why?” you perked up, curious as to what would stop you from trying to win her heart.

“You are mortal,” she replied softly. “The loss of a friend is hard enough, losing a lover would be too much for myself.”

That made sense. It came to sudden realization why Luna had treated you like she did before. She had been gone for thousands of years, and any friends she had most likely died. She came back to a world that was foreign, She picked up on your concern and smiled.

“It’s alright ___________. I have made peace with my past and will work to redeem myself and start anew. This information was not the only reason I appeared in your dream. We’ve found a way home for you.”

Author's Note:

Happy Single's Awareness Day everyone! :rainbowlaugh: What better to celebrate this sickening great holiday of love. *insert Cadance emoji* :heart: Sorry this took a while to get out, been really busy with school. There will probably be another big gap for the next one, and I haven't decided who will be next. Anyway, have a great day! :twilightsmile: