• Published 27th Nov 2016
  • 8,169 Views, 298 Comments

The Colt of Fire and Lightning - ShagPony



Mason, a 10 year old boy who had a good life until his parents died in a car crash. Now living in a orphanage he wants a little more in life, and he gets it, in the form of a pegasus foal, with fire and lightning powers. Goody.

  • ...
14
 298
 8,169

Chapter 9: Back To School

Author's Note:

Hope you guys enjoy this chapter. For some reason I just feel uneasy about it but oh well

“Ohhhh back to school, back to school, to prove to my Dad that I'm not a fool. I got my lunch packed up, my shoes tied tight, I hope that I don't get in a fight. Ohhhh back to school.”

If you get this reference, you deserve a pie.

_________________________
(Mason’s Pov)

I was tiredly riding on Pinkie Pie's back to the school house. I've never been this tired before, both me and my mom were early risers so it's quite surprising to me.

Quite some time had passed as Pinkie walked, don't really know how long because I was just too out of it. But I did hear the laughter of children. I looked passed Pinkie’s head to see the school just ahead with fillies and colts running through the doors to get to class.

The schoolhouse was a...how do I say it...bright looking building. I never knew a building could have so much pink and red, of course it had a bit of white here and there but good lord there was so many bright colors. The school had one pathway which lead to the main entrance and was lined by a white picket fence. It obviously had a sign outside that read ‘Ponyville Schoolhouse’ along with a flag pole near the building. On top of it was a school bell. Now that I think about it though, the building looks like one of those schools during the pilgrimage times or something.

Pinkie walked up the path to the door of the school while a few more fillies and colts ran past to get to class. Pinkie walked through the door just as the bell to the school rang and headed for another door in the building. When we neared it she motioned for me to get off her back, which I did, and turned to me with a white looking bag in her hoof.

“Ok Masey, this will be your class from now on,” Pinkie said as she handed me the bag looking thing, “here is your saddlebag which has some pencils, paper, and your lunch in it.”

I took the bag and took a peek in one side finding the paper and pencils and on the other was my lunch. When I was done peeking in it Pinkie took it and draped it over my back and smiled.

“Looking good Mason, now, ready to go in.”

I nodded with confidence but slight nervousness. Pinkie nodded back and opened the door to the classroom and walked in with me following from behind. As I walked in, all eyes of the present colts and fillies turned to me and Pinkie which made me a little more nervous.

The pink party pony stopped near a desk with an earth pony behind it that had the brightest smile on her face. She was a dark violet pony with a mane and tail that had two shades of pink. Her Cutie Mark was also three flowers that had smiles on them.

“Why hello Pinkie Pie, I'm guessing you're bringing the new student for my class today?” she asked with a cheery tone.

Nodding happily to the pony, Pinkie replied. “Yup, he's right here.” and motioned a hoof towards me.

The pony looked to me and her smile brightened. She came out from behind her desk and approached me and gestured a hoof to herself. “Well it's nice to meet my new student, my name is Miss Cheerilee.”

I gave her a tired, but small smile of my own. “It's nice to meet you, my name is Mason.”

“Well it's nice to meet you Mason. Why don't you go sit down while I talk to Pinkie here, I believe there's an open seat in the back.” Cheerilee said while pointing towards the class.

Nodding, I headed towards the empty seat. As I passed by, most of the students gave me smiles, except for one pink filly that scoffed. Ugh, I gotta bad feeling about her but I'll just ignore it. As I started to pass the pink filly I noticed Apple Bloom on the left of me who smiled in greeting which I happily returned.

When I reached the back I saw the empty seat in the middle with two other fillies I recognized. I sat my saddlebag down and seated myself in the seat which was a bit weird but I'm sure I'll get used to. I then looked to my left to see Sweetie Belle smiling and giving me a small wave which I returned. On my right was Scootaloo who did the same thing which I returned as well.

After getting settled and greeting my friends I looked to the front of the room to see Pinkie giving her farewells to Miss Cheerilee and heading for the door. When she arrived at the door she turned to me and waved which I gladly returned and watched as she left, closing the door behind her.

Miss Cheerilee cleared her throat gaining the attention of the class. “Now, as if you hadn't realized already, we have a new student with us named Mason and I'd like you all to make him feel welcome.”

The class nodded there heads in understanding, except for that pink filly who scoffed again. I really don't have a good feeling about her. And is she wearing a tiara?

I shook my head to ignore the filly and focus on what we were doing today, some part of me was really eager while the other part was hoping this was going to be an easy day.

“Now let's begin on literature today.” Miss Cheerilee said.

I saw all of the filly's and colt's taking out their notebooks and pencils which I did as well but then I relized something. How the heck am I gonna write. I looked around to see the unicorns using their magic to write while the pegasus and earth ponies were using their hooves or mouths to write. Taking a glance at my pencil, I picked it up with my hoof and opened my notebook to begin writing. To say it wasn't that good was probably be an understatement.

Bloody hell I jinxed it.

**********

As I was trying to write on one of my papers while having a book Miss Cheerilee gave me I heard the bell rang indicating it was recess time. My favorite time of the day.

I packed my things in my saddlebag and took out my lunch and followed the fillies and colts outside. I stopped myself from going and further and looked around for a good place to eat my lunch. It was the sound of my name being called that got my attention. I turned my head to see my friends waving me over with smiles on their faces.

Smiling as I trotted towards my three friends with the lunch bag in my mouth, I sat myself down next to them.

“It's so good to see ya again Mason, and it's really cool that you're in the same class as us.” said a cheery Scootaloo.

“It's good to see you gals to and I am a bit surprised that I'm in the same class as you three but I am happy about it.” I replied happily.

The three nodded in agreement and continued to eat there lunch. I opened my bag and started rummaging in it for the first thing I'd eat. As I continued looking in the bag I heard Sweetie Belle speak up.

“So who packed your lunch today Mason?” she asked as she bit into a apple.

To answer her question I pulled out a cupcake that was in good condition. The frosting wasn't smeared all over and it wasn't squished. I looked into the bag to see there was no mess and looked back at the cupcake in my hoof with a raised eyebrow and a question going in my head.

How did she pull that off?’

“Pinkie?”

I looked over to see all three fillies looking at me with curious looks. I looked back at the cupcake for a moment then looked back at the girls.

“Pinkie.”

The three fillies nodded and proceeded with their lunch while I did the same.

After some time of eating and snacking on our lunches, we had finally finished and were figuring out on what to do until the bell rang. So far we had no idea on what to do.

“Why don't we go play on the playground?” I offered.

Apple Bloom shook her head. “We would Mason but we can't due to Tirek destroying most of it.”

I was surprised by this. First, I'm asking who this Tirek guy is but my second is how does that happen.

“How does a guy destroy a playground but doesn't destroy the school as well?” I asked with a tilt of my head.

The girls just shrugged. We all sat where we were thinking hard on something that we could do. Our train of thought, if it was moving at all, was interrupted by a snobby voice.

“Well if it isn't the blank flanks.”

We all turned our heads to see that pink filly with a purple and white mane along with a grey filly that had a mane with two shades of grey coming our way. The girls scowled at her direction but I just had a questioning look on my face. Like seriously, why is she wearing a tiara?

“Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon, what do you want?” Scootaloo said with annoyance.

Hold up.

Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon.’

My word. At first I thought these names couldn't get anymore silly in this place.

__________________________________
(In Sugarcube Corner)

A certain pink pony named Pinkie was taking milkshakes to a happy couple that were sitting at a table. When she had gotten to the table to give them their order she had suddenly stopped with a neutral look.

The couple stared at Pinkie for a while with raised eyebrows.

“Um, you ok there miss?” the stallion asked.

Pinkie didn't say anything except turn her head towards the door of the building with narrowed eyes.

“Somewhere...somepony just said our names were silly…”

The couple exchanged looks of confusion as the pink pony kept staring at the door. After a moment of silence, she shrugged and gave them their drinks.

“Enjoy.” she said happily and walked off.

The couple just stared as she walked off. It was the mare that brought her gaze towards the stallion with narrowed eyes.

“It was your idea to come here.”

__________________________________
(Back At School)

I shook my head as I stared at this, Diamond Tiara, who only smiled mockingly.

“Why Scootaloo, I'm just saying hello to my favorite blank flanks. Is that too much to ask?” she said with a snobby tone.

Sweetie Belle grit her teeth. “It is when you only come to insult us.”

Diamond Tiara gave a small chuckle. “Oh I just can't help myself. It's much too fun to make fun of you three when you have no talent.” Diamond Tiara then put her gaze on me and smiled smugly.

“It appears you also have a new addition to the blank flanks club.” she said as she came near me. I heard the girls snort at her.

“Tell me blank flank, how is it that you came to be a loser like them?” she asked smugly.

I just stared at her for a while with narrowed eyes. As I stared I noticed most of the colts and fillies had stopped what they were doing to see what was going to happen. Feeling like I stared long enough, I slowly pointed a hoof at her and answered.

“Why are you wearing a tiara?”

It was silent for a while until the colts and fillies broke into giggles after the fact I completely ignored her insult. Diamond Tiara just stood there mouth agape with a raised eyebrow.

“Excuse me?” she asked.

I pointed at her tiara again. “Why are you wearing that? Is it wear your shiny crowns day or something? If it is then silly me, I must have forgotten it at home.” I said with a hoof to my head for dramatic effect.

Now the crowd around us were laughing a small bit at the little show I was making for them. Diamond Tiara was now standing with her mouth wide open, not believing what I was doing. Her shocked look turned to a small glare.

“Well...at least my tiara is diamond, heck, I bet your crown is blank just like your flank.” Diamond said with a small laugh of her own. Seeing she was the only one laughing, she nudged her friend and she laughed along to, only slightly.

I just stared at her with a neutral expression as her laughs died down and she just stared at me confusingly. I then slowly raised both my hooves and gave a small clap.

“Wow, that was a good one, you write that down yourself?” I said with a smirk. I was then resulted in more laughter from our crowd including my three friends.

The pink filly opened and closed her mouth with wide eyes. “I- but- you- I don't-”

I held my hooves in mock surrender. “Ok lassy, I think you've had enough. How about we go our separate ways like good friends okay.”

“But- but- but I-” Tiara stammered.

I came up to her and gently patted her on the back. “Oh don't worry champ we’ll meet again someday but for now, toodles.” I said as I walked away towards my friends who couldn't stop their fit of giggles.

As I walked away I heard Diamond Tiara behind me trying to say something but only making incoherent words. Before I reached my friends she blurted something that hurt me deep down.

“Well at least I'm not a disappointing blank foal to my parents!”

I stopped dead in my tracks at how she said that. Everypony in the crowd went silent and had shock written on their faces. I slowly turned around to see she was smiling smugly.

“Oh I'm sorry, did I hit a nerve mister blank flank. Don't like me talking about your daddy and mommy.”

I felt my heart ache at those words. Why above all things does this still have to be a touchy subject for me.

Putting on my best confident look but I knowing their was some falter in my voice I replied. “My parents are none of your business.”

Diamond was now all smug looking knowing she hit a soft spot. “Why? Did they forget you because you don't have a talent. Because I'm not really surprised if they did.”

I could feel tears coming to my eyes but I held them back the best I could. “They didn't forget me!”

The rich filly's look hardened. “Oh please, I bet your parents were so disappointed because your a blank flank that they put utter shame upon you.”

At this point some tears were coming down my face and I knew I was gonna break but a voice came out from behind me which made me falter.

“That's enough Diamond! There is no way his parents did that to him because he's a blank flank. I bet his parents loved him and raised him to their best ability so you know nothing!” Scootaloo defended while coming to my side.

She scoffed. “And what about your parents huh, can you say the same about them?”

Scoots flinch at that and her ears press against her head.

Diamond smiled. “Just what I thought. Even if your parents did love you, they clearly didn’t do a good job at it. Which proves that they were just pathetic.” Diamond said with a laugh.

Now those words. Struck a different nerve.

I may be touchy on the subject of my parents but when someone thinks they can insult them and to insult my friend about it as well. I get mad.

Glaring harshly at Diamond Tiara, I spoke with anger in my voice. “My parents were not pathetic. If they were, then at least they weren't as pathetic as your’s.”

Diamond Tiara’s entire smug look changed to shock.

“W-what?”

My harsh glare didn't falter. “You heard me, I bet your parents aren't any better. That is, if your bratty and insulting attitude has anything to prove about it. It just shows that they do as much of a poor job as our parents did.”

Diamond had a shocked look on her face. Then it turned to a look of confidence. “T-that's not true! My parents raise me just as any other rich filly should be!”

“Oh and what's that? Being a bully to others just because they ain't fancy which just puts you on top! Does it also consist of doing nothing but sipping tea all day! Because if that ain't it, then please do enlighten me on how they raised you Daimond!” I said with my glare hardening.

That shut Diamond up completely. She didn't do anything but look at me with shock again.

I nodded my head. “That's what I thought.” I then trotted away from her and out of the crowd to get myself some alone time.

Before I went far I stopped. “Oh and one more thing,” I said as I turned to look at Diamond, “I happen to have seen my parents death because I was involved in it. So thanks for bringing it up.” I said as I turned and continued away from everypony.

“Brat.” I said under my breath.

**********

Back in the group, Diamond Tiara along with the crowd watched the colt trot away to who knows where. Scootaloo looked to Diamond with utter hate and ran after the colt with her other two friends following close behind.

After some time the other colts and fillies recovered from their shock and went about their playful ways. Diamond still stood shocked at what happened. By that shock quickly turned to anger.

“That good for nothing blank flank. Who does he think he is to say that about me and my parents,” Diamond Tiara scoffed, “ridiculous, right Spoon.”

Diamond’s friend Silver Spoon was just as shocked at what transpired but nonetheless nodded to her friend. “Yes.”

The rich filly looked back at the way the colt went and snorted. “Ugh I need to talk about this to Mr. Snupples.” Diamond said as she walked in a certain direction.

“So…we’re going to have tea with Mr. Snupples?”

She scoffed again. “No, that colt was wrong about that. I don't always have tea with my bear Mr. Snupples. I sometimes have brownies with him to.” she finished with a smile.

Silver Spoon rolled her eyes.

**********

I sat by a tree after being far enough from the group of colts and fillies. I sniffed, wiping the tears away to collect myself. I stared at the ground deep in my thoughts trying to keep it together but to no avail. If only I had my phone.

A memory then clicked into my mind reminding me where I had put it. I raised my hoof to look at it and wondered if it still worked. Looking around to make sure no one was around I then closed my eyes and concentrated, imagining that tingling feeling.

To my surprise I heard the sound of a quick fire, almost like the sound of ruffling leaves, and felt a weight in my hoof. I opened my eyes to see my phone there and smiled.

I pressed the home button and saw I had 34% charge left. I shrugged that off and opened it to get to my music. When I was in the app I opened a certain playlist with one of my favorites whose music made it good for these sort of times.

Eric Church and Dierks Bentley.

Yeah their songs do have a bit of emotion in them like heart break and stuff but for most of them, I just like the meaning behind them and the instruments played in most of the songs. I scrolled through the playlist until I found a certain song that I like.

Making sure the volume was down I pressed play and put it to my ear and listened to Riser by Dierks Bentley.

It was soothing me very much. As I got ready to play another one I heard a voice from behind me getting louder as it came closer. After a while I figured it was Scootaloo.

“Mason!”

Thinking fast I quickly tried to put my phone away but it didn't work. Turning behind me I saw her, Sweetie Belle, and Apple Bloom coming closer. Panicking a bit, I close my eyes and imagined that tingling feeling again. When it didn't do it, I was going to just hide it until the weight finally left my hoof and just in time as Scoots and the rest of the other two came up the hill.

Catching her breath, Scoots looked to me with concern. “Are you alright Mason.”

I nodded slowly. “Yeah, it's just a touchy subject to get into, I'll get over it after some time.”

The girls didn't seem so convinced about. “Are ya sure ya don't want to talk ‘bout it?” said Apple Bloom.

I nodded again. “Yeah, I'll be fine.”

“Well if you do need someone to talk to just come to us ok.” Scootaloo said.

She surprised me as she gave me a hug. “We're your friends Mason and we don't want you feeling down about anything.”

Hugging the filly back, I replied with some happiness in my voice. “Thanks Scoots.”

We ended the hug and just stared at each other with smiles. Our attention was brought to Sweetie Belle who cleared her throat.

“Well why don't we go back to the school, I think the bell should ring in a few minutes.”

We all silently agreed with Sweetie and headed back for the school. I then remembered Scootaloo standing up for me and decided to give her my thanks.

“Hey Scoots,” she turned to me, “I just wanted to say thanks for standing up for me back there.”

She smiled. “It's what friends are for Mason.”

I smiled back to her.

**********

Diamond Tiara was sitting at a small grass hill with tiny teacups and teapot in front of her. On the left was her bear Mr. Snupples and on the right was her friend Silver Spoon.

The pink filly hummed. “It's just not right for that blank flank to do that to me. I need to do something to get back at him.”

She went silent for a moment and then turned to her bear.

“What was that Mr. Snupples?”

Silence came from the small brown teddy bear as Diamond Tiara leaned in closer to it. Meanwhile, Spoon was contemplating if her friend is insane or not.

“That's not bad of an idea Mr. Snupples and it would most definitely hurt those three fillies if it worked.” Diamond said menacingly.

Silver Spoon not knowing what was happening looked to Diamond with a confused look. “What did he say?”

She looked to her friend with a evil smile. “Mr. Snupples purposes that we get that colt onto our side, he could make a very nice friend if we did.”

Silver Spoon now looked even more confused. “And how exactly do we do that?”

She raised her nose high and closed her eyes. “Simple, after school we find him, be all nice to him and then get him to join us.”

Silver Spoon didn't really follow. “How exactly do you plan for that to work when you just insulted his parents and his friend Scootaloo.”

Diamond opened her eyes in realization and brought a hoof to her chin as she thought about that. Then her face brightened up to an idea. “Ah, I got it!”

Silver Spoon rolled her eyes but nonetheless listened to her friend.

“We can just apologize to him but make sure that the apology is sincere as possible. Then we smooth talk him into joining us. It's just brilliant.” Diamond said while rubbing her hooves and smiling evilly.

Silver Spoon was still not convinced. “And just how do you plan on doing that?”

The filly lazily waved a hoof at her friend. “Oh please Spoon, he's a colt. Any colt could follow anything if you give him enough bribes, and if a cute filly just bats her eyelashes at them. Heck, if I could get that Apple Bloom’s cousin to join us I think can get him to as well. Trust me it's foolproof.” she said as she took a sip of her teacup but only to spit out its contents.

“Ugh, Mr. Snupples! You put too much sugar in the tea!”

“Uhm Diamond.” came the voice of Silver Spoon.

The filly turned to her friend. “What?”

“First of all,” Silver Spoon said as she held up a hoof, “this is lemonade, not tea. Second, you were the one who made it.”

The pink filly did nothing except mumble a few angry words and forcefully drink the lemonade.

**********

I went down the stairs of the school. It was a very good day of it too. Surprisingly the subjects for the grade I was in were not all that hard, of course English had a few different ways of saying things then they did in my world, but nonetheless I flew by them as if I had always learned it. The only one I had trouble with was history and trying to write the stuff down.

This was because I hardly knew the history of this place and all of its past, heck, I hardly knew most of its holidays. Not to mention it was hard trying to conceal the fact I couldn't write with my mouth or hoof. So, to my disappointment I had to decline going crusading today to the girls and said I'd be going to Twilights to get a lesson on some of Equestria's history. To my surprise they wished me good luck as if I was going to battle or something. Weird.

Anyway, I was heading down a path that would probably lead me straight to the tree castle until a voice I didn't want to hear came up.

“Hey colt, wait up.”

Gritting my teeth, I took a deep breath and turned around to see Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon. Strangely, they seemed guilty but I wasn't letting my guard down.

“What do you want Tiara.” I said with clear annoyance in my voice.

Diamond looked to the ground with her ears pressed against her head and a look of...sadness?

“I just wanted to apologize for what I did. I didn't know that your parents were...um...gone. It's just that, I sometimes bully people because I'm afraid they would find me weak and bully me. So for what I did, I'm sorry.”

I looked at her to try and find any deceiveness in her eyes or movement. There was either none in her movements or I couldn't find any.

She did seem pretty sorry about it though and her friend does to. Plus she does make a point on the bullying part. Some people do bully just to make themselves not seem weak to other bullies.

“Well, if you're truly remorseful about it then I guess I can forgive you but if you're so much as lying, you can kiss the rear end of my forgiveness goodbye.”

Diamond looked to me with some hope in her eyes. “So you'd like to make amends.”

I shrugged. “If you're willing to not bully me and my friends then yes.”

She nodded but looked as if she had more to say.

“So since we're basically making amends, how about you join our little group.” she offered with a smile that looked forced.

I raised an eyebrow skeptically. “And what does this group consist of?”

She seemed to get closer to me as she looked off to nowhere. “Oh nothing, just the fact if you join us, you'll immediately be on top. Just think, you could have so many friends and if any bully were to bother us you could fend him or her off like you did with me.”

I couldn't help but become more skeptical at that last part. It sounded like she forced herself to say it but I didn't say anything since she had more.

“And if you want, I could probably hook you up with a nice filly.” she said as she came closer and batting her eyelashes.

That made me falter a bit and also feel and bit defensive for somepony in particular. “And what's that suppose to mean?”

“Oh nothing it's just that I couldn't see you being with any other filly. Especially one in particular.” she said as she brushed up against me.

Now I was becoming really defensive. “You mean Scootaloo?”

The rich filly smiled. This one wasn't forced. “Why of course, I mean surely you don't want a filly friend who can't even fly do ya? I could get you with somepony who can actually do something with their wings or I could get you with one whose rich and can get you anything you want.” she said as she came in to close for comfort.

“So what do you say? Want to be recognized as a regular pony and not some blank flank?” she said.

I thought about what she said and smiled which in return she did as well. I then slowly leaned towards her and took a breath.

“No.”

Diamond Tiara’s posture completely shattered. “What?”

“I said no,” I repeated, “I don't know where exactly you're coming from Diamond but I don't want any part of it even if I am recognized as a blank flank or not, because I never abandon my friends just for what you're offering, which might not even be true.”

Diamond was now shocked all over again which tells me this isn't going at how she planned it to.

“And on top of that, I don't care if Scootaloo is flightless or not. She might be now but that doesn't mean it could change in the future. But as of now, I don't care at all. She is smart, fun, and if I dare say, cute for a filly and she is my best friend and there ain't nothing you can do or say to change that. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to take myself and my forgiveness off to somewhere else, toodles.”

With that said I turned around and began walking away from a shocked and wide open mouth Diamond Tiara. Silver Spoon on the other hand was just shaking her head probably thinking this wasn't going to work.

When I was a distance away I heard Diamond Tiara shout to me.

“Well I hope you enjoy being a blank flank, cause that's all you'll ever be!”

I slightly turned my head back to her. “Well at least this blank flank is cooler than you.” And with that I continued my trek to Twilight's with a victory smirk.

Little did the three realize was that they were being watched by a pair of small light purple eyes peeking out from a bush.

And in these eyes was an all new admiration of the young colt.