• Published 27th Nov 2016
  • 4,977 Views, 158 Comments

The Brightest Spark - Arad



Many Guardians have been blessed with the Light. A single one wasn't native to Earth.

  • ...
15
 158
 4,977

00 -- The End, The Beginning

It was a beautiful day in Ponyville. Flowers were blooming, birds were singing, and a nice light breeze kept the sun overhead from making things oppressively hot. By all accounts it was a perfect day for a picnic, which is exactly what Twilight and her friends were doing.

“I must say, Applejack, you’ve quite outdone yourself this time!” Rarity observed as the earth pony produced a picnic basket stuffed to the brim with pastries. “Those simply smell divine!”

Applejack accepted the compliment gracefully with a smile and a nod. “Thank you kindly, and I’m happy to help. I convinced Granny Smith that having the picnic so close to town would be like free advertising since it’s downwind. After that she insisted that I make everything I could.”

“I’m sure the turnout tomorrow will be really good, considering how many of my animal friends you’ve attracted,” Fluttershy observed, and she waved a hoof at the growing flock of birds that was cramming itself into the tree they were using for shade.

Rainbow Dash’s initial response was a sigh and a grumble. “The only thing that would make this better is some cider from the farm. Once a year just isn’t enough,” she stated and let out another exaggerated sigh before stretching out on the picnic blanket. “Other than that, this day is just about perfect.”

Twilight nodded in agreement as she stretched out on the blanket as well, extending her wings out at her sides to soak up as much of the warm sunlight as she could. “I’m glad we were able to find some time to take a break, given how busy we’ve all been. There’s been a few times when I almost miss all of the free time I had after I had first moved to Ponyville.”

Dash opened one eye to give the alicorn a skeptical look. “The way I remember it, when you first moved here you always had your nose buried in the books at the library. Seemed like you didn’t have that much free time.”

“Yes, well, I was still adjusting to my move from Canterlot,” Twilight stated, though she couldn’t hide the embarrassed blush from her face. “Everything I was doing then seemed so important and I was still worried that Princess Celestia was putting me through one of those hidden character tests she likes so much.”

“Eh, if you say so. You know her better than most,” Dash answered with a shrug before glancing towards the one pony who was uncharacteristically silent. “Hey, Pinkie! Aren’t you going to come join us?”

The pink party pony sat on the outer fringe of the picnic blanket, her back turned towards the assembled ponies. What was more odd was the fact that she hadn’t so much as twitched a hair nor moved a muscle since assuming that position. She remained silent despite Dash’s questions, and the others merely chalked it up to one of Pinkie’s many eccentricities.

After a momentary lull in the conversation, Rarity took the opportunity to change subjects. “Applejack, I wanted to apologize on Sweetie Belle’s behalf. It seems that it was mostly her idea to try and create a catapult using lumber and rope taken from the barn.”

Dash immediately perked up. “Nopony should ever have to apologize for being that awesome! Did you see how much air time Scootaloo got? She was even able to control her descent, and replacing a few walls and windows is a small price to pay for being that adventurous!”

Applejack’s flat glare was followed by her scolding tone. “I think you’d feel differently if it was your walls and windows you were replacing, Dash.” The earth pony took another breath to continue her scolding but stopped when a shadow rolled over her. “What the… Dash, you promised us a sunny day today!” All eyes turned toward Ponyville, where a low-hanging bank of clouds and fog seemed to materialize out of thin air. The weather phenomenon was almost entirely dark gray, and the rumble of thunder could be heard from within it.

The weather pegasus’s first reaction was a flash of annoyance at the accusation, which slowly morphed into confusion. “That… that’s not a storm. It isn’t weather we made, but it isn’t natural either…”

Columns of lightning shot from the cloud bank and down into the fog in rapid succession, causing the Element Bearers to jump up from their relaxed positions. Several more flashes and booms followed as the strange weather expanded, and it wasn’t long before shapes could be seen inside. The largest of the shapes appeared to be ruins set atop a hill that appeared from within the misty depths, but the more pressing concern were the things that could be seen moving out and into the open.

They were bipedal, with the smallest being nearly twice the height of a pony’s shoulders, while larger shapes could also be seen. They were clockwork automatons, judging by the hazy shapes that could be seen and their lurching steps. Glowing cyclopean eyes glared out from the fog as the robots emerged from the mist… and attacked.

Bolts of fire lanced out from the fog towards the Element Bearers, one incinerating a large portion of the picnic blanket while another struck their shade tree and set it ablaze. Rainbow Dash was the first to react, rocketing into the sky before bolting towards Ponyville to raise the alarm. Applejack and Rarity ran for cover but not before scooping up Fluttershy, who had frozen in place.

Twilight’s first reaction was to channel her magic and smash the closest of the clockwork attackers, but immediately switched to a shield as nearly a dozen others turned toward her to rain fire upon her. Larger shapes emerged from the fog and began to hammer Twilight’s shield with blobs of purple energy. Slowly but surely, the alicorn’s shield shrank further and further as she gave ground.

And throughout the entire fight, Pinkie hadn’t moved an inch.

“Pinkie! RUN!” Twilight shouted to her friend, but could do little more than watch as one of the larger automatons stomped over to the earth pony and raised an arm high to smash her. The area outside of her protective shield had grown dark as the mist continued to expand, so much so that even Pinkie was little more than an unmoving silhouette beneath the shadow of the automaton.

The blow would never land as a series of sharp whip-like cracks cut through the chaos. The automaton’s raised arm snapped at the elbow and spiraled off into the fog, and its armored ‘head’ followed soon after. The crack sounds repeated with ear-splitting consistency, and the automaton continued to fly apart as though caught in a record-breaking hailstorm.

Twilight’s shocked and fearful eyes swept through the fog to locate the source of the sound, and she could only watch as another figure charged into the fight. It was bipedal, heavily armored and carried a weapon in its hands much like the automatons, but apparently didn’t need it as it rushed the closest machine and planted an armored knee in its chest. The machine crumpled like a tin can as it fell backwards from the blow, and the newest arrival used the defeated enemy as a springboard to jump high into the air. The smell of ozone filled the air as the creature descended with lightning at its heels, shattering a half dozen of the constructs with its landing.

The source of the crack sounds entered in a far less dramatic fashion. Its hooded shape moved through the fog like a ghost, the weapon in its hands the source of the harsh sound as its wielder took several shots at enemies that the first newcomer missed. The figure paused and seemed to turn towards Twilight, and for just a split second the alicorn saw glowing eyes meeting hers. And just as quickly as it happened, the hooded figure was gone.

Further lightning strikes cut through the fog, and more of the automatons appeared in the way of the newcomers. The robots’ efforts were short-lived as a flurry of magic rained down from above. Bolts of purple energy split up and struck each of the targets, shattering them on the spot. Before the last of the visible automatons had come to rest on the ground… she descended.

She was armored and clothed like the other two creatures that were fighting the robots, but that was where the similarities ended. Despite every inch of her being covered from snout to tail to her hooves, the horned helm and armored wings outstretched left no doubt that the source of the magic was an alicorn. Firebolts arced towards the armored alicorn, but none found their marks as she teleported out of sight.

The next few moments passed in a flash as the area descended further into chaos. More automatons appeared, but they were swept aside by the trio of strangers. Glowing orbs of light appeared only to be snuffed out almost instantly by one of the strangers and their weapons. Six lights flickered into existence, and six lights were put out. It was when the strangers had their hands full with a trio of the larger automatons that the seventh light appeared…

...directly in front of Pinkie.

The moment the light appeared, Pinkie reared up and struck at it with her hooves. The moment that her hooves connected with their target, all three of the giant automatons whirled about and charged towards the earth pony. The hooded stranger was only a moment behind, hurling a glowing orb at the back of the trailing giant. Just as the orb exploded brilliantly and consumed its target, the stranger vanished only to reappear above the second giant in line. A knife as long as Twilight’s foreleg jammed into the neck joint of the giant and twisted, and the automaton was only able to take one wobbling step before crashing to the ground.

The hooded stranger appeared in a flash of light between the last of the giants and Pinkie, glowing eyes cutting through the mist as they once again fell upon Twilight. Those eyes didn’t leave Twilight even as the giant raised one of its massive arms and batted the stranger out of the way. Two more running strides brought it within striking distance of Pinkie…

...just as her hooves connected again with the light, causing it to crack and shatter.

The moment that the light flickered out of existence, the fog and stormclouds vanished. The automatons and the strangers fighting them vanished as well. Even the shadowed ruins that had been just barely visible were nowhere to be seen. Signs of the fighting were still present in the area, from scorch marks and fires in Ponyville to the residents themselves galloping about trying to save what they could. Amidst the hectic rush, Spike’s familiar purple and green shape could be seen running towards the hill where Element Bearers had intended to have their picnic.

“Twilight! Twilight!” the baby dragon screamed as he ran up the hill, only to pause and catch his breath. “Are you okay? What were those things? Are they going to come back?” he asked between gasps for air.

“I don’t know, Spike, which is why I need you to send a message to the Princesses right now. If anypony knows what’s going on, they would,” Twilight explained quickly as Spike turned on his heel to run back into Ponyville. A flicker of movement in the corner of her eyes drew her attention next, revealing Applejack and Rarity cautiously approaching the hill with a wide-eyed Fluttershy behind them. “Girls! Are you alright?” the alicorn shouted as she ran to rejoin her friends.

Rarity nodded in response to the question but her eyes continued to dart around in search of dangers. “Twilight, do you have any idea what just happened? Usually the princesses are quite good at letting us know when some sort of unspeakable evil is on the way…”

“That can wait!” Applejack interrupted. “What I want to know is where Rainbow Dash is!”

The question froze both Rarity and Twilight in place, as the brash pegasus was nowhere to be seen and her warning shouts had long been lost to the din of fighting. The alicorn had spread her wings to lift off in search of Dash when Pinkie’s voice reached her ears. “I don’t think Rainbow Dash is here anymore, but I think our new friend here can tell us.”

All eyes whipped around to the party mare to see her sitting beside the hooded stranger that had been struck down trying to defend Pinkie. With the fog gone, the details of the stranger were far more easily identified, with a ragged blue cloak wrapped over her left shoulder. The hood was also dark blue but with a gold stripe running down the middle of it. A hoofful of mysterious objects could be seen in belts or pouches wrapped around the stranger’s body. but what was perhaps most surprising was that the creature wasn’t a living being at all. The hands and arms that were visible through the armor was some of the most complex and detailed clockwork that Twilight had ever seen, and the stranger’s face was mostly composed of an articulated white metal plate, with a hinged portion where a mouth might be expected. The once glowing eyes were now dark and still as they stared up into the now cloudless sky.

“Is… is it dead?” Rarity asked as she eyed the body warily, not willing to approach any closer than two body lengths.

Twilight’s eyes narrowed as she drank in every detail of the stranger that was left behind. “I don’t know if it was ever ‘alive’ to begin with, but it was animated before. And I’m going to fix it so it can tell us exactly what just happened and where Rainbow Dash is.”

Applejack’s voice was cautious as she glanced from the stranger to Twilight. “Are you sure that’s a good idea, Twilight? Those other robots were downright hostile but we don’t know if this thing is going to be the same way.”

Twilight shook her head and gave her most determined stare at the stranger’s dead eyes. “This thing… it put itself in harm’s way to save Pinkie. If repairing it leads to finding Rainbow Dash, then I’m willing to risk it.”

------

Another place, another time…

Where there had once been a mighty civilization spanning the world, only the echoes and bones remained. Mighty roadways that had once teemed with traffic were now little more than broken and eroded slabs with rusted and burned vehicles. Where once glittering towers of glass and steel reached up towards the sky, only rubble remained. The closest thing to the world’s once great splendor that still stood was the rusted and collapsing walls of the Cosmodrome and the towering colony ships that would never get the chance to deliver their precious cargo to new worlds.

It was a mausoleum in all but name, with the dry and sandblasted bones of tens of thousands littering the roadways to the Cosmodrome wall. They were all that remained of the bright and brilliant people that had tried to escape the darkness that consumed their world. They had all been left where they died, doomed to remain as unknown and forgotten deaths from a bygone age. All… except one.

A flicker of light floated through the lanes of wrecked cars as the sun rose over the ruins. The source of that light wasn’t a reflection from the fiery orb or any natural creature though. The light was that of a Ghost, a tiny machine filled with the the smallest grain of Light and a goal that it had been searching for since it had been created all those years ago. The Ghost bobbed and weaved through the wreckage, sparing only a single moment to scan a few of the skeletons or bits of debris. Eventually it stopped doing even that as it accelerated, its sensors practically screaming that the goal was growing closer.

The Ghost’s path led to a small hill alongside one of the many broken roadways leading into the Cosmodrome. It ignored everything else as it ascended the hill and gazed down at its prize, only to recoil in shock.

The hill itself was littered with the bones of Humans and Awoken alongside the rusting husks of destroyed Exos, which wasn’t a strange sight for the Ghost given how long it had been searching the wastelands. What was strange was that the remains at the top of the hill didn’t belong to any of those three, or of any race that had been recorded until now.

The bones at the top of the hill were quadrupedal, with unmistakable wings spread out where the creature had fallen. Its single-horned skull was opened wide in a wordless scream from its last moments before it perished. Despite the mystery that the creature presented, the Ghost knew that this was the goal he had been created for.

The panels that ringed the Ghost’s central orb expanded with a burst of energy, and it called to its Guardian.