• Published 6th Jan 2017
  • 3,248 Views, 46 Comments

Feathers Are in Style - Void Chicken



Pretending to be somepony's marefriend can be fun. Becoming that pony's marefriend can be fulfilling.

  • ...
10
 46
 3,248

Just Say It

"Dearie, it's time to get up." Rarity's melodic voice wafted past Rainbow's ears.

"I don't know where you're going to get that much maple syrup, babe," Rainbow mumbled, "but you're going to do great. Those hippos don't stand a chance."

"Rainbow, wake up!"

"Guh?" The memory of her dream faded away. "What time is it?" The lack of light filtering through her eyelids suggested that it was way too early to open them.

"It is time to leave. I've let you sleep in long enough." The direction of her voice suggested that Rarity was standing by the side of the bed, and the tone suggested that she'd been awake much longer than Rainbow had.

Rainbow rolled over. "Is your cutie mark flashing? 'Cause mine isn't." She didn't know whether it was or not, but it would buy her a few more seconds in bed.

Annoyance filled Rarity's voice. "We are not being summoned by the map, we are going on vacation like I've been telling you all week. And the train leaves in fifteen minutes so you need to get up."

"Go ahead and get on the train then. I'll catch up." Her wings twitched.

She heard the sound of pacing hoofsteps. "Do you even know where we're going?"

"Fashion show?"

Rarity sighed. "We are taking a vacation to the Crystal Fields and you are coming with me on the train so we can be on it together because I love you." She took a breath. "And then you'll see the sunset over the crystals because I'm taking the time to do something I know you'll enjoy because I love you."

Groaning, Rainbow rolled over in the bed enough times to fall out of it, then pushed herself into a standing position. Finally, she opened her eyes to see Rarity smiling at her like she hadn't just been upset at Rainbow's laziness.

"Wonderful!" Rarity pranced towards the door. "Come on, dearie. I know how much you don't like being late."

---

With half-lidded eyes, Rainbow watched the top of the sun peek over the landscape, which passed by the window. Every so often, the train car hit some bump in the tracks, which jostled her just enough to prevent her from being comfortable. The faint musty smell of the seat cushion mixed with the lavender scent of the mare next to her.

Both tired and thoroughly bored, Rainbow turned away from the window and laid her head down across Rarity's forehooves, closing her eyes.

When she opened them again, she looked up to see Rarity smiling down at her. The sun outside brightly lit the interior of the train car.

"Have I ever told you how cute you are when you're sleeping?" Rarity's hoof stroked Rainbow's mane.

Rainbow sat up and stretched her wings. "Yes."

"Because the way your mouth twitches sometimes can be so adorable."

"Uh-huh." Rainbow rolled her head from side to side. "So where are we going again?"

"The Crystal Fields. It's a collection of shimmering spires that stick up out of the ground and I hear it is absolutely lovely." Rarity looked up like she always did when her imagination got going. "But ponies say that when the sun sets there on the autumnal equinox today there is a cascade of colors everywhere! I bet it will do nothing short of completely wow you."

"Sure, I'll take that bet." She shook a few stray strands of hair from her tail.

"I... what?" Rarity's eyebrows raised.

Rainbow looked her in the eye. "That I'm going to say 'wow' when I see it. What do you want if you win?"

A smirk appeared on Rarity's lips. "I see. How about..." She looked away for a second. "I know just the thing! I have the most adorable little maid outfit that a client ordered then changed her mind on. You'll have to do the chores tomorrow in it the whole day. And the makeup and jewelry that goes with it, of course."

Rainbow's expression dropped for a second before she set her eyebrow again. "All right. And when I win, you're going through the whole Wonderbolt daily training routine. Running laps, sprints, pushups, crunches, um, not the wingups, but everything else we do every morning. And no breaks to do your mane or tail. Deal?" She stuck out her hoof.

Smiling, Rarity met Rainbow's hoof with her own. "Deal."

Rainbow smiled back and turned to the window. "This is going to be awesome."

---

The sun had just passed its highest point in the sky when the couple reached the edge of the cliffside. Behind them sat the modest hotel they'd just checked into. Ahead and below, dozens of translucent white crystal spires reached vertically towards the clouds above.

Rarity made her way towards the wooden stairway built into the cliffside. Rainbow hopped over and hovered a few feet to Rarity's side.

Her attention turned to the collection of massive crystals and the hues they shone onto the barren ground. The brown dirt lit up with the multicolored arcs projected onto them. "I don't know, babe, this isn't really wow-worthy." She paused. "And that doesn't count."

Carefully placing her hooves on each step, Rarity spared a glance in Rainbow's direction. "I am not so petty as to claim victory on a technicality. The real show is at sunset, and you will say it then. In the meantime, I would like to get a closer look at these crystals."

Soon, they reached the ground. Rarity walked among the massive crystals, stopping every so often to climb on the small mound of dirt surrounding each and gaze through.

Rainbow hovered low, drifting around the crystal formation, watching Rarity and the other tourists wander around.

"These are quite lovely," Rarity said. The faint colors filtering through the crystals played across her coat, moving as she did.

Rainbow couldn't help but stare. "No kidding."

Looking back at her, Rarity added, "In fact, I've come up with a wonderful design based on these." She looked to the lowering sun, then at the dust that had accumulated on her legs. "Hm, we should really get back to the hotel room and wash up before sunset." She made her way towards the stairs.

Once Rarity had made it halfway up, Rainbow shouted, "That the best you got, babe? You'll never make it through training going that slow! Come on, work that body!"

"I am going as fast as I can, dearie," Rarity replied.

"Not Wonderbolt fast! Move those legs!" Rainbow pranced in the air.

Rarity growled, "I am going to parade you through the town square."

"You mean you'll be doing those pushups there."

"I will sew gems into your feathers." Rarity gritted her teeth and climbed a little faster.

---

Rainbow lay on her back on the hotel room's bed. Looking to her right, she saw Rarity's shadow through the bathroom doorway. Looking to her left, she saw the sun sinking towards the horizon.

Looking back towards the bathroom, she said, "Rarity, babe. What's the holdup?"

"I need to make myself presentable. I got quite dirty looking at the crystals and I must wash up," Rarity's voice replied.

Rainbow's view returned to the ceiling. "How long does it take to wash your legs off?"

"Long enough to get them clean."

Rainbow looked back to the window. "You know you can't see the crystals from here." She looked closer. "Actually, I can see one."

Time passed with only the sound of whatever Rarity was doing in the bathroom.

Looking up, Rainbow said, "This is some great paintwork on the ceiling. Wow, I'd better put that outfit on now."

More time passed.

Rainbow looked out the window. "Hey, I'm going to head to Canterlot and tell Princess Celestia not to lower the sun yet."

Rarity emerged from the bathroom. "Be serious. Now let's go before we miss it."

---

Rainbow and Rarity sat near the cliffside, overlooking the field. Ahead of them, a few pegasi put the finishing touches on the cloud formation. There were other tourists around, but Rainbow didn't care about them. The only pony that mattered was nestled under her right wing. A few flickers of color below accompanied the sunlight.

"You know," Rainbow said, "this is kind of nice."

"It's about to get better." Rarity wiggled her body slightly. Rainbow smiled at the sensation.

The edge of the sun touched the horizon. The light shining through the most distant crystal shone into its neighbors. Slowly at first, then faster as the sun aligned just right, the light shone from crystal to crystal. Each sent its own colors into the others, reflecting around like a hall of mirrors. The filtered sunlight found its way out of the shimmering collection and to their beveled peaks, shooting into the sky and painting the clouds all the colors of the rainbow.

As the sun moved, the slight changes in its angle were amplified into enormous changes in the colored chaos. The brilliant patterns above moved and shifted like the sky had become an immense kaleidoscope.

Rarity gasped. "It's beautiful."

As more of the sun sank below the horizon, the patterns dimmed.

"You got that right," Rainbow added. "Wow, that was really something. I'm gla—"

She clapped her hooves over her mouth and froze. Only moving her head as much as she had to, she turned her eyes to look at Rarity.

Rarity's face had become home to a very slowly widening grin.

"You uh..." Rainbow searched for words behind her hooves. "I mean, um... have I ever told you how much I love you?"

By this point, Rarity's smile was outshining the sun. "Yes you have."

"Because I love you, like, a whole lot." Rainbow used her wing to press Rarity against her side.

She could hear the enjoyment in Rarity's voice. "Town square, dearie," she cooed.

The blood drained from Rainbow's face. "You know, I wasn't serious about all that stuff I said." At the moment, she couldn't remember what exactly she had said. "That... that was a joke."

"It was hilarious." Rarity leaned into Rainbow's body. The sun disappeared below the horizon, bringing the light show to an end.

Rarity sighed, then stood up. "We should get going if we want to check out in time to make the train back home." She walked towards the hotel.

Reluctantly, Rainbow stood up to follow her.

Rarity turned her head back at Rainbow. "Come on. You have a long day tomorrow... dearie."

Rainbow could only whimper in response.

---

"Welcome to Carousel Boutique, where every outfit is chic, unique, and magnifique! How can I help you two?" Rarity's voice echoed upstairs. The response was too quiet to hear.

"Of course!" Rarity replied. "Just one moment. Rainbow, dearie? Can you come down here and fetch something from the top shelf?" she called up.

Rainbow spit out her feather duster and set it down on the small table. "No!" she shouted down the stairwell.

"My apologies," Rarity told the customers. "This will only take a moment. A deal is a deal, Rainbow. I need your help and you have to give it."

Rainbow tugged at a frill in her skirt. "You said nopony has to see me in this! I'm not coming down!"

"I said that I wasn't going to parade you through town. I never said that nopony was going to see you," Rarity's voice said.

With a stamp of her hoof, Rainbow yelled, "I'm not coming!"

"In that case, you can take care of the ring in the tub instead!" Rarity yelled back.

"What?!" Rainbow reeled back. "That ring's impenetrable! You said I didn't have to scrub it!"

Rarity sounded upset. "Either scrub the ring or come down here and help! And don't get that outfit dirty!"

Gritting her teeth, Rainbow growled, "You're lucky I love you so much!" She turned and stomped towards the bathroom.

"I love you too, dearie!" Rarity sang.