• Published 6th Jan 2017
  • 3,248 Views, 46 Comments

Feathers Are in Style - Void Chicken



Pretending to be somepony's marefriend can be fun. Becoming that pony's marefriend can be fulfilling.

  • ...
10
 46
 3,248

Below and Above

Rainbow landed on the cold white path just outside the restaurant, whose fresh coat of paint made it stand out against the older buildings of the edge of town. Its windows glowed with pale white light through the dark snowy evening. The large shiny horseshoe around the front door hinted that Rainbow had found the right place.

As she approached, a well-dressed unicorn stallion emerged. "Good evening, madam, and welcome to the Silver Horseshoe. Do you have a reservation?"

Rainbow looked past him, trying to spot her date inside. "Uh yeah, Rainbow Dash. I'm with Rarity."

The doorpony levitated a clipboard to his face. "I see, here you are." He looked down his nose at her. "However, formal attire is required in the Silver Horseshoe. I must ask that you dress appropriately."

"Appropriately?" Rainbow shifted back slightly. "What's appropriately?"

"Mares must wear a dress to be admitted entry." He motioned to a sign, all but invisible in the dark.

"A dress? Why in Equestria do I need a dress?" Rainbow's ears flicked back.

His tone was much too calm for how she felt. "We are a fine dining establishment. And we have a dress code. I cannot let you in without a dress."

"Come on, I have a date here! I don't have time to get a dress!" She took a step forwards, but the doorpony stepped in her way.

"If you are not going to dress appropriately, I’m afraid I must ask you to leave."

Rainbow Dash gritted her teeth and scowled at him. "I'm going to remember this."

She looked up and launched herself into the sky, more than strongly enough to leave a spray of snow behind her. The air split ahead of the fastest pony in Equestria in her race across town. Rainbow ignored the snow stinging at her eyes. She had a pony to date, and Rarity was more important than comfort.

She zipped in through her bedroom window and slammed her hooves into the floor hard enough for her entire house to sway. Rainbow ripped open her closet door and frantically scattered its contents, looking for whatever was quickest to put on. She came across a purple and blue outfit with a yellow stripe: the casual dress.

Rainbow threw it on her back and quickly closed its clasps around her neck and the bases of her wings. She turned and leapt out the window again.

As she accelerated back toward the Silver Horseshoe, she felt the wind tearing at her outfit. She silently cursed the dress for not being designed for high-speed flight and slowed herself to keep it from ripping off of her body or being torn to shreds by the air stream.

After a longer flight than she'd wanted, Rainbow passed over the restaurant's roof, flipped over, and dropped straight down in front of its door, landing with another burst of snow.

The doorpony peeked out of the building.

Rainbow resumed her scowl. "Look, I'm wearing a dress. Now are you going to let me in or not?"

He pursed his lips at her outfit, then stepped aside. "Right this way, madam."

Rainbow walked past with a snort, making only a token effort to wipe her hooves. She found the restaurant nearly empty with only five other customers inside. Finding Rarity among them was trivial.

She walked to the booth and dropped herself onto the seat across from her date.

Rarity's eyebrows lowered. "You're late." Her horn illuminated and Rainbow's dress straightened out. Chunks of snow fell off of Rainbow's outfit, landing on her seat. A few more bits fell from her face and dripped on the table.

"It's not my fault," Rainbow grumbled. "That stupid doorpony wouldn't let me in without a dumb dress."

Rarity took a breath. "Let us just get on with our date, Rainbow."

Rainbow wiped her face off with the napkin and browsed her menu while Rarity looked over her own. She'd never heard of most of the things on it.

A waiter soon arrived. "Have you decided on your order?"

Rarity lowered her menu. "Yes, I will have the penne al pomodoro fresco, a side of Caesar salad, and a glass of grape juice."

Rainbow stared at her menu. "I'll uh, take the eggplant alla parmigiana." It took her a moment to fully pronounce it. "And some cucumber salad and apple juice."

"Very good, madams." He took their menus and left.

Rarity looked across the table at Rainbow. "So, Rainbow," she started, "tell me about yourself."

Rainbow raised an eyebrow. "Uh, Rarity? We've known each other for years. I don't think there's anything you don't already know about me."

"We are on a date, Rainbow," she explained. "We should tell each other about ourselves."

"Oh." Rainbow scratched the back of her head. "Can you go first? Just so I know what I should talk about?"

"Fair enough. I am Rarity, a fashion designer who lives here in Ponyville. My main store is Carousel Boutique, although I have opened stores in Canterlot and Manehattan. I design and sew dresses for all levels of society..."

As Rarity talked, Rainbow found it very difficult to listen to things she already knew. Instead she turned her attention to the pony saying them. Rarity was so animated talking about her passions, and Rainbow could tell she enjoyed the self-promotion. She was so enjoyable to look at, from the way she moved her head to how her shoulders shifted when she changed topics.

"...and what about you?" The line snapped Rainbow back to reality.

"Oh, right. Um, my name's Rainbow Dash. I'm a Wonderbolt, and I've started performing with the team, which is pretty awesome." She paused to think. "I'm the only pony alive who can do a Sonic Rainboom, which you've seen once or twice. Uh, I helped save the world a few times, which is good. Even though you helped with all that, too."

Silence. Rarity's patient expression didn't change.

"I like to race? I mean, zooming around feels great and winning is so awesome." Another pause. "Uh... I enjoy reading sometimes. Daring Do books, mostly. Um..."

The waiter returned with their salads and drinks. Rainbow breathed an internal sigh of relief. She took a bite of her cucumber slices. They were a little watery. Ahead, Rarity ate her salad without complaint.

Rainbow couldn't figure out where she was supposed to look while she ate. Outside, the snow fell hard on the road. She settled her attention on the salad. Out of the corner of her eye, she saw Rarity's attention turn her way from time to time.

Setting her fork on the last remaining leaves of her salad, Rainbow looked across the table. "Rarity, I'm sorry. You know I'm not good with this stuff and—"

Rarity raised her hoof. "Ah ah. I understand that you're unused to dating. But I promised myself I'd give you a chance, and I am."

Rainbow hadn't completely blown things yet. Her heart beat just a little bit faster at the thought.

The waiter returned to the table. "Enjoy your meal," he said, setting a plate in front of each of them.

"Thank you, dear," Rarity replied.

"Sweet, thanks," Rainbow added.

Rarity looked back to Rainbow. "It's funny. Most ponies on dates put on their best attire, or act more proper, or try to make themselves look better. You, however, have been your normal self all evening."

Rainbow lifted a fork. It might have been the proper one. "Is that bad?"

"It's interesting." Rarity smiled.

Rainbow looked at her plate, then to Rarity's. She reached her fork across the table to Rarity's plate and skewered a noodle-looking thing. "We do this part now, right?"

"Hm. That typically isn't done on the first date. But I appreciate the thought." Rarity opened her mouth, and Rainbow guided the pasta in. Rarity then took up a fork in her magic and fed herself.

Rainbow's fork picked up a slice of eggplant covered with what looked like cheese and tomato sauce. She took a bite and chewed it back and forth. The eggplant was slightly mushy like the cucumbers had been, and she could barely taste the sauce. Again, Rarity didn't complain. Rainbow looked down at the plate. Maybe I just don't get fine dining.

After they had eaten most of their meal, Rarity set down her fork. "I think we should try looking into each other's eyes."

Rainbow returned her next bite to her plate. "Didn't we do that in Canterlot?"

"Yes, but we were only pretending. This time, I think we should really look." Rarity shifted herself forward.

"What am I looking for?" Rainbow moved a bit closer.

"We'll think about everything we like about each other while looking into each other's eyes. I think this will help us decide how we truly feel." Her gaze met Rainbow's.

Rainbow took a breath and focused on Rarity's deep blue eyes. She then turned her thoughts to what lay behind them.

All right, she's passionate about her work. She can appreciate a nice victory, like when she wins one of those fashion competitions. She loves to have fun, I know that. Hm. Oh, she can take a bunch of fabric and turn it into this really pretty dress. I bet I could go grab a bunch of whatever from the fabric store and she'd make it into something sweet. And she puts so much effort into how she looks. I could never do that.

Rainbow noticed a smile flash across Rarity's face.

What was that? What's she thinking about me? What is there to think about me? Well, if she smiled it had to have been something nice, right? Back on topic, Rainbow. Rarity's a great pony, and I still want to be her marefriend. If she's even willing anymore. But being with her like this is pretty sweet even if it is getting kind of weird.

Rarity hummed, but it was a nice hum, in Rainbow's opinion. Or her wishful thinking.

She shifted back again. Rainbow let out her breath and leaned back.

"There," Rarity said. "I think that helped."

"Uh, yeah. Me too." Rainbow had no idea what to think.

Rarity picked up her fork again and resumed eating. Rainbow looked closely. It might have been her imagination, but Rarity looked like she was sitting up a little straighter and had just a bit of a smile on her face.

When the check came, Rainbow found a few coins stashed away in the pocket of her dress and tossed them on the table. Rarity added some more and stood up. Way to not cover the bill on your date, Rainbow.

Rainbow got to her feet and looked out the window. "Really coming down out there. I didn't think I asked the team for that much snow. I'd feel better if I saw you home."

"I wouldn't expect anything less," Rarity replied, and the two made their way to the door.

The walk to the Boutique was slow and cold but otherwise uneventful. They arrived at the front door and found shelter under its overhang.

Rainbow used her wing to dust the snow off of Rarity's back before she shook off her own. "So."

"Yes?" Rarity's face was hard to see in the dim moonlight filtering through the clouds.

Rainbow steadied herself. "Is there going to be a second date?"

For a moment, only the faint sound of the breeze was audible. Then, Rarity took a breath and slowly let it out. Rainbow felt her heart pounding against her ribs. "I think..." came the slow reply. Silence again. "I would be willing to date you again."

Rainbow's heart felt like it was going to leap through her spine. "Really?!"

Rarity chuckled. "Really. Seeing as I chose the venue for our first date, it is only fair you decide the second."

Rainbow thought for a moment. She smirked. "Anywhere I want?"

"Anywhere you want, I suppose." Rarity sounded substantially less confident than she had five seconds earlier.

"Then my place."

She could see Rarity recoil. "Your house?"

"You said anywhere. I want the date at my house. Next Friday, fifteen minutes before sundown. Don't be late."

"Rainbow, I cannot fly to your house." She could hear the annoyance in Rarity's voice.

Rainbow waved a hoof. "Get a balloon. Have Twilight cast that cloudwalk spell on you. Oh, and no outfit."

Rarity blew a breath out through her nose strong enough to be visible in the cold. "I shall see you there, I suppose."

"Awesome."

Rainbow took to the sky. This was the best idea she'd ever had.

---

"This is the worst idea I've ever had! Why did I tell her to come to my house?"

Rainbow paced back and forth on her front porch, glancing at the sun.

"She isn't going to come. She's going to say that was so stupid. She won't want to date me anymore. What was I thinking?!"

A section of snow cloud lifted and parted to reveal the top of a rising hot air balloon, soon followed by its occupant.

"This had better be worth it," Rarity grumbled.

Rainbow felt lighter at the sight, and she trotted towards the balloon, which had settled itself on a particularly flat cloud. "Come on, it's almost sunset." For some reason, she felt a bead of sweat form on her forehead despite the chill.

"Just a moment." Rarity looked out at the clouds. "Could you stand a little closer? I asked Twilight to teach me the cloudwalking spell, and I'd like to have you nearby in case I didn't cast it right."

Rainbow offered a hoof, which Rarity took as she pulled herself over the edge of the basket. Rarity gingerly set one hoof on the cloud. It sank an inch, but held her weight. "Ha ha!" Rarity laughed as she let her remaining hooves hit the surface.

"Nice," Rainbow commented. "Let's get to the roof."

"The roof." Rarity's face was flat.

"Yeah, come on. Sun's almost down."

Rainbow led Rarity inside.

Rarity sounded surprised. "Oh, it's much nicer in here. I was wondering how you managed to stay warm in the winter."

"Clouds keep the heat in. And weather powers, you know?"

They went up some stairs and exited into the cold above Rainbow's house. Up there was the blanket that Rainbow tossed on top of a small mound of clouds she'd leveled off an hour earlier. The soft surface held a plate and a thermos.

Rarity examined the plate. "Cucumber sandwiches and..." She took a sniff. "Is that hot cocoa?"

Rainbow nodded. "Yup."

"This is hardly the kind of food to impress a date with."

"Well,"—Rainbow walked in front of Rarity—"I figure, if I can have a date on top of my house with hot cocoa and sandwiches, and you still want to be my marefriend, we got something special."

Rarity raised an eyebrow. "And if I reject you because of this?"

Rainbow stood tall, raised her head, and looked out over the thick bank of clouds below. "I'm going to cry for a week."

She heard a snort behind her, but Rarity had composed herself by the time Rainbow turned back around.

Rainbow laid herself down in front of the blanket and patted the cloud next to her. Rarity walked over and sat next to her. Directly ahead, the sun touched the horizon.

Rarity shivered and leaned against Rainbow. Rainbow felt the warmth of her date's body against hers. She felt her breathe.

"There's no wind," Rainbow pointed out. "It's not bad if you don't move. It's also not bad if I get this out." She reached around the table and retrieved a long red scarf. Carefully, she wrapped it around them both.

Rarity shifted a little. "That does help take the edge off."

"And of course, one more thing I know that'll warm you up."

Rainbow stretched out her right wing and laid it across Rarity's back. The tips of her feathers reached around her date. She flexed those feathers inwards, using her powerful muscles to hold Rarity tight against her.

"Ooh," Rarity cooed. "I never noticed how soft your wings were." She shifted again under the wing. "It's very warm, too. It feels like a thick blanket. Your whole coat feels soft, yet your muscles are so firm underneath."

Rainbow felt warm, too. "Thanks."

"In fact, I don't think I ever want to crawl out from under here." She hummed her contentment.

Rainbow reached over and grabbed a sandwich. "At least have something to eat. I made these myself." She took a bite. It was a better cucumber than that restaurant had, at least.

Rarity took a sandwich in her magic and ate as well, which she followed up with a drink from the thermos.

They shared their meal in silence as the sun dipped below the horizon and the stars appeared one by one.

Rainbow felt Rarity's chest move under her wing as she breathed. I wish I knew what she was thinking right now. She's so hard to figure out sometimes.

Rarity snuggled up. "I don't think I'll ever understand you, Rainbow."

"Huh? What do you mean?" Rainbow loosened her wing's grip slightly.

"You're brash and impulsive. Then you sit quietly with me. You needed me to guide you through a romantic date. Then you take me here and do this." She hummed again.

Rarity went on, "I've never seen you raise a hoof for your appearance, but you're so lovely to look at. The colors in your mane and tail blend so well into each other, and I can get lost in those beautiful rose eyes of yours. How do you do it?"

Rainbow chuckled. "I can't exactly change my eye color, Rarity."

"Oh I know." She took a breath through her nose. "You even smell nice."

Rainbow had never thought about how she smelled. She couldn't help taking a few whiffs. Her nose picked up a scent of lavender. She had no idea how Rarity could notice whatever Rainbow smelled like past that perfume.

Rainbow held Rarity tight with her wing again and sighed her relaxation. They gazed out in silence at the distant mountains, poking into the star-filled sky above.

They finished the sandwiches and cocoa together.

Rainbow shivered. "Okay, now it is getting cold, and my other wing isn't enough of a blanket for me." She opened and closed it for emphasis.

"I suppose," Rarity said after a short moment.

Rainbow withdrew her wing from Rarity's back. She could feel Rarity shiver. Rainbow unwrapped the scarf and got to her feet. She led Rarity back down to her front door where the balloon back to the surface waited.

They stood next to the basket in silence for a moment before Rainbow broke it. "So... how was it?"

"It was very lovely, Rainbow. I'm surprised." Rarity smiled at her.

"It's been two dates." Rainbow felt her heart pounding again. "So I gotta ask. Do you want to be my marefriend?"

Rarity looked up. "Hmm." She put her hoof to her chin. "You brought me to your house outside in the cold, fed me cucumber sandwiches, and didn't even let me dress myself up." She looked Rainbow in the eye.

"Then you showed me a side of you I never imagined existed. Yes, I will be your marefriend." Rarity approached her. "And just to make it official, there is of course what affectionate marefriends do."

"We did that in Canterlot, remember?"

Rarity rolled her eyes. "That hardly counted."

Their lips met and their eyes closed. Rainbow relaxed, taking in the sensation of her marefriend's mouth against hers. They soon parted again and looked into each other's eyes.

"There," Rarity said. "Now you've had your first real kiss. So, dearie, what should we do for our third date?"

Rainbow pondered. "I dunno about the whole dating thing. Can we just, like, have fun together?"

Rarity smiled. "I suppose we could. As long as I can still take you to fancy restaurants every so often."

"You know what? I don't care as long as you're there, too."

The two looked at each other in silence for a moment. Rarity took a breath, then started prancing in place. "I have a marefriend!" She laughed.

"Oh are we celebrating now? I was waiting for you to go because I am ready to burst!" She opened her wings and pounded her forehooves into the cloud.

"Dearie, marefriends shouldn't hide their feelings from each other." Rarity was smiling much bigger than her language suggested.

Rainbow replied by launching herself into the sky. She looped and spun, whooping and hollering the whole way. She didn't care how cold the air was or how sloppy her tricks were. Rarity was her marefriend.

She fluttered back to the ground to find Rarity sitting and rocking with laughter.

"Come on, I was excited." Rainbow landed next to her.

Rarity wiped a tear from her eye. "Of course, dearie." She climbed into the balloon's basket. "I'll let you know if I come up with another date plan."

Rainbow gave the balloon a slight push to dislodge it from the cloud it was perched on. "Sure thing, babe."

Rarity cleared her throat. "I only let you call me that in Canterlot because it was too late to call me anything else. I would prefer that you call me as 'darling', or 'honey', or perhaps 'sweetheart'."

"You got it, babe." A wingbeat sent the balloon drifting away and back towards town.