• Published 29th Mar 2018
  • 965 Views, 12 Comments

Heritage of Love - ZanyRaccoon



A colt with a personal vendetta against Princess Cadance decides to get his revenge by crashing her wedding. Unaware that other, much more ominous forces, are planning the same.

  • ...
5
 12
 965

To Hate a Mare

The t-shirt was horribly tight.

Nova detested wearing it. But it was more than just simple hate, wearing it always brought forth a wave of nausea-inducing panic. The sense of restriction he felt while it hugged his flesh made his skin crawl. Yet still he wore it everyday without fail.

Thankfully, Nova had a trick for dealing with that little problem. Raising a forehoof, he placed it on himself just below his neck and inhaled, deep and slow, through his nostrils. Then he just as slowly exhaled through his mouth while pulling his hoof away 'til he could do neither anymore. As always the breathing technique worked its magic and he felt a refreshing sense of calm.

With that dealt with the colt picked his favorite jacket up from the bed and put it on. It was perfectly tailored for him and colored to wonderfully compliment his own natural colors. The only flaw with his jacket was that one of the front pockets, the one over his heart, was decorated with the cutie mark of the one princess he loathed. But Nova could be a reasonable colt and thus it took more than one flaw, no matter how horrendous, to ruin the best jacket he owned. Besides, he had been planning for awhile to eventually cut off the offending pocket with a pair of scissors... he just hadn't gotten around to actually doing it yet, that's all!

Now done getting dressed, Nova turned from the bed to the only other visible object in the small, undecorated room. A mirror. As he adjusted his collar he gazed disinterestedly at the same familiar colt, thirteen years of age, reflected back. Complete with the same burnt sienna coat, blank flank, and triple-toned mane and tail combo consisting of forest green, sky blue, and dark pink streaks.

He wore the colors surprisingly well.

A gentle hum filled the room as his horn lit up with a dark blue aura. Out from a pair of saddlebags, hidden beneath the bed, came his mane-brush. While he began to untangle the jungle atop his head, Nova grinned and gave his fangs a lick. Enjoying the way they glinted in the light. His fangs, red slitted-eyes, and tufted ears were a genetic gift from from his father, whom he had unfortunately never known. But he was immensely proud of his threstal, AKA bat pony, heritage all the same. Especially the fact that it made him so damn sexy!

His best trait however was no doubt his longer than average horn. He knew exactly what all the giggling and blushing fillies said about a colt with a long horn. The thought increased the cockiness of his grin tenfold as he returned his mane-brush to its proper place.

With his morning routine complete, Nova left his room. Firmly shutting the door behind him.

Only to find himself in a familiarly depressing hallway. The hallway was long and filled with numbered doors which made it almost possible to shut out the truth and imagine he merely lived in some sort of hotel. But even with the walls adorned with various distracting Nightmare Night decorations, such as fake cobwebs; tombstones; and 'spooky' glow-in-the-dark ghosts, Nova could never truly forget the cold truth. Just the thought sent an oppressive pang of complicated and indecipherable emotions through his heart as he trotted slowly down the hall.

Living in an orphanage sucked. But he wasn't going to let that bother him. Not with his favorite holiday less than a week away. Nightmare Night was the one night of the year when he truly felt free to just be himself, despite the ironic dichotomy of the fact that he would be wearing a costume with the express purpose of cosplaying as somepony else. He couldn't repress an excited skip as he thought of the costume he'd been painstakingly crafting for the last couple moons. It was so close to completion.

Honestly, in that very moment, it felt as if nothing could ruin his mood. Unfortunately that was also the moment he turned a corner in the hallway and immediately his features soured. Hanging proudly on the wall, as if mocking him, was a picture of the princess he loathed.

Princess Mi Amore Cadenza!

The sight of which made Nova's hackles rise in a bitter fury as his face twisted into a frown and his demeanor slouched. His pace quickened and he looked away in disgust from the image of the pink alicorn bitch.

Of course her picture was hanging on the wall, several walls in fact, of the orphanage! She was after all the biggest benefactor of the place. Princess Cadenza, or just Cadance as she preferred to be called, offered more than mere financial support for various orphanages all over the land of Equestria. She also often gave personal visits, hoofed out various gifts usually in the form of toys, and personally wrote and responded to letters from every orphan in every establishment she copiously supported.

So naturally everypony in the orphanage, save Nova himself, adored her. She seemed too good to be true... and she was. Nova darkly mused over how everypony would react if they only knew the truth. The princess' most closely guarded secret... and most closely guarded shame.

But for his own well-being Nova had to bite his tongue on the matter. At least for the moment.

Realizing the depressing path his thoughts were leading him down, the young colt gave a firm head shake and looked around almost desperately for something, anything, that could get him back to enjoying his day. As if in answer to his very prayers he heard the sound of hooves clopping upon the floor as somepony approached.

And then from around a corner an earth filly came into view. But not just any filly. She was a real hottie with blond pigtails, heart-meltingly adorable freckles, and a strong yet supple body which just seemed to call out for him. Forcing a confident smile and straight posture as their eyes locked, Nova began his approach. She paused, uncertain and slightly nervous, as she noticed the steady advance of the sharp-fanged colt. When finally close enough to really gaze into her rich sky blue eyes, it took all his willpower to avoid getting lost in them and faltering in his step. Before she could really react to him, he gave his fangs a slow lick to elicit a shudder from her, never breaking eye contact.

"Excuse me miss, I hope I'm not being a bother but I have a question that I simply must know the answer to. I happen to be into costumes and makeup myself and your radiant beauty caught my eye. What brand of makeup did you use to achieve such a glorious effect?" Nova's voice was gentle yet firm. It took all his resolve to avoid letting out a cocky grin as he received the desired reaction from her.

The filly's face looked as if a wildfire had taken hold of it and her whole body seemed to be shaking ever so slightly. "Oh, um, a-actually I'm, um, you know, not wearing any makeup. I'm s-sorry. I mean, that I can't help you!"

Nova effortlessly feigned surprise and slowly begin to lean towards her as he responded. "Apologies my dear, I didn't realize such beauty was even attainable without assistance." By that point he had leaned in so close their faces were nuzzled together and his voice was a low whisper directly into her ear. "How on Equus are you so damn sexy?"

As expected the adorable filly was far too flustered to formulate a coherent response other than a high-pitched squeak.

With a mischievous smile, Nova slowly pushed the filly against a nearby wall. She didn't resist. During each passing moment Nova was, perhaps due to his threstal heritage, acutely aware of the filly's rapid heartbeats. He was also fully aware of her quivering body as she vibrated sensually against his form. Affectionately he nuzzled her neck and deeply inhaled, relishing in her deep, cinnamon-like scent. For a few moments he just indulged in her scent with half-lidded eyes as he felt a deep heat spreading over their bodies. Then suddenly, with a well-practiced motion, Nova firmly bit down on the filly's neck.

A squeak was heard as the filly reacted to the sudden bite. But the sound quickly devolved into a light moan as the pressure of the bite increased. The fangs never quite penetrating her flesh. Done playing games, Nova wrapped himself tightly around the filly as he kissed her on the lips as deeply and passionately as he could. His tongue exploring her mouth with a reckless, deep-seated hunger.

The filly stiffened for only the briefest of moments before melting in his embrace and wrapping her own limbs around him.

Ignoring the inexperienced filly as her hooves roved all over his body and rubbed seemingly random spots with no rhyme or reason, Nova focused his hooves on just massaging two spots. One on her back; the other on her flank.

It was a nearly perfect moment. The only thing that unsuccessfully threatened to ruin the moment was a sudden sharp pain that erupted in his back. A few tears were brought to his eyes from the pain but with eyes clenched tight he managed to power through it 'til it was only a dull throb in the background of his mind. 'Til finally the moment had to come to an end as his lungs forcefully demanded he refill them with fresh air. And thus he broke the kiss. Leading to a moment of breathless panting shared between the two ponies.

Catching his breath first, Nova nuzzled the filly while softly kissing the side of her face. Before he finally leaned in close and whispered seductively, between pants, into her cute little ear. "You. Me. Tonight. Dinner and a show. My treat. What do you say?"

"O-okay." The filly's breathy affirmation was so soft it was nearly inaudible.

Getting the answer he'd sought, Nova leisurely pulled his body away from hers. Somehow just keeping himself from reacting as she let out the absolute cutest whiny of disappointment he'd ever heard at their separation. Instead he merely locked eyes with her once more and purposing licked his fangs again, much to the filly's enjoyment as she shuddered with a dreamy look in her eyes. But when she made to move forward and embrace him anew, he stopped her with a hoof pressed lightly to her chest.

"When it's time for dinner meet me at the front gate instead. And don't worry about breaking curfew. I know how to safely sneak a filly into my room." Nova gave a wink to the madly blushing filly before walking off with a casual stride and a little extra flank wriggle just for her benefit.

He didn't stop 'til he'd made it out of sight around a corner. And then the goofiest of grins broke out on his face.

With a spring to his step and an excited whiny of his own, Nova literally pranced down the hall feeling invigorated. The newly formed memories on replay in his mind. Followed quickly by plans for the perfect date. Of course his thoughts soon turned to fantasies as he just barely stopped himself from actually drooling at the mental imagery of taking her to his room and going to town on her with his tongue. Already his tongue tingled with phantom flavours as he pondered her potential taste.

So caught up in these thoughts, Nova pranced right past his destination and had to screech to a stop several moments later. Backing up he found himself in front of a door which looked identical to all the others in the hall, save for the number on it. Without hesitation he flung the door open with great aplomb. The sound of the door being slammed open caused the rooms only occupant, a pegasus, to give a startled leap. Spinning around on his bed to face the intruder, the pegasus's wings instinctively flared open in a failed attempt to look intimidating. Nova, meanwhile, just laughed at the reaction as the other pony glared in annoyance. Unfortunately for the pegasus, his attempt to look angry and intimidating just ended up looking adorable.

"Nova! Have you never heard of knocking?" The pegasus, Glide, huffed in an unintentionally cute manner, his cheeks puffing out.

Still guffawing like a madmare, Nova shut the door behind himself as he entered the room and carefully navigated towards the bed. Doing his best to avoid stepping on the messy battlefield of action figures, toys, and game pieces. His best friend's room always felt so very claustrophobic. Even the walls were hardly visible behind a myriad of posters, mostly of the wonderbolts.

Although he did note with a swell of pride that his friend was still using the calendar that Nova had gotten him. Every moon the calendar revealed the many members of the wonderbolts in a different sexy position. This moon it was Nightmare Night themed, complete with very revealing and suggestive costumes. Honestly though, Nova found it to be the least appealing image of the whole calendar. The costumes were so poorly designed. He could've made better outfits in his sleep, with half the budget!

Pushing the thought from his mind, Nova effortlessly leapt onto the bed. Not noticing his friend's mad scramble to hide a slip of paper under a wing.

Barely managing to restrain his litany of laughter, Nova gave a cocky grin as he finally shot back his response. "And have you ever heard of locking? Besides, I thought you'd have learned that lesson by now. Especially after..."

An awkward silence fell over the two colts at the implication of the incident they had agreed never to speak of. The pegasus blushed a bit and looked away. Nova also looked away only to wince his gaze away again as it accidentally fell on the Cadance plushy sitting at the head of the bed. Why his best friend hadn't destroyed that infernal stuffed toy was beyond him. Especially after the time he had walked in on his friend getting far too intimate with said toy.

Shudders pulsed through Nova at the memory. The incident had been deeply disturbing for him on so many levels that he'd had nightmares about it for a week. Why his mind hadn't just completely blocked out the incident for his own sanity was beyond him.

Finally returning his gaze to his blushing friend, Nova couldn't help but to smile. The pegasus was smaller than him, despite them sharing the same age. Glide had a very slender, feminine even, form. Which had unfortunately led to harassment from other colts who either relentlessly made fun of him or actually thought he was a filly and tried to come on to him. Thus the responsibility often fell on Nova to take the initiative and defend his best friend from the unwanted attention.

Nova however didn't really mind. As he was always happily willing to aid his best friend.

Glide tried his best to present himself as male by keeping his black mane and tail cut rather short. Yet it was to no avail. He was just too damn pretty to pull it off thanks to his annoyingly well-curved body and rich hazel eyes. Any colt could easily be forgiven for getting lost in those eyes before realizing that he was also a colt. On top of all that he had the most adorable white underbelly while the rest of his coat was a gentle gray in tone. Long story short, Glide was incredibly attractive in all the wrong ways.

None of that was really pressing in Nova's mind however, as he searched for something break the awkward silence before it could stretch on for too long. And then his grin returned as he spotted the slip of paper his friend had done a poor job hiding under his wing.

"What's this Glide, you hiding a love letter from me? Who's it from?"

With a flash of dark blue magic the paper slipped out of the wing's grasp and was brought up to Nova's face. With a terrified whiny Glide leapt forward and tried to grab it back. "No, wait! Please don't read that!"

Unfortunately for Glide he was kept from his goal with a gentle force of magic. And instead he was forced to watch as his best friend's eyes roved over the content of the paper. He would've sworn that he'd felt the room grow a few degrees colder in that moment.

Nova's smile slipped into a frown and his mood soured as he read what turned out to be a letter.

Dear Wing Glider,

WOW, it sure sounds like you and Nova had quite the adventure in the city. I'm glad you were so willing to help that little kitten get back to her loving home, but maybe next time you shouldn't just blindly follow a kitten, or any creature for that matter, into an active construction zone. You two could've hurt a lot more than just your pride. Things like that don't always work themselves out in such a hilarious fashion. I also do feel sorry for you that the kitten's cute filly owner only gave you a kiss on the cheek before making out with Nova, but from what you wrote it sounds like Nova really took the initiative. Maybe in the future you should be JUST a little more assertive with the fillies you find attractive.

And YES, I would absolutely LOVE for you to send a picture of you two in your Nightmare Night costumes. You two always look so adorable in your matching outfits. I swear that colt is going to take the fashion world by storm one day, if he so chooses.

Writing of Nova, how's he doing? He still never responds to any of my letters and I'm worried. Have you asked him about it? He's healthy and happy, right? If you discover that he has any needs or problems please let me know posthaste so I can offer my assistance. And please... just tell him I would love nothing more than to receive word from him. He means a lot to me. Of course so do you and all my other little ponies at the orphanage. Has he told you anything about how he feels regarding me, anything at all?

Finally, in much lighter news, I'm doing great and thanks for asking. It honestly does mean a lot that you care enough to always ask. In fact I'm actually doing better than just great and have some BIG news, but I don't want to spoil it. You should be hearing all about it real soon, if you haven't already. Please let me know what you think as soon as possible. And don't worry, I'll be sharing all the JUICY details about it in my next letter.

With loving regards
Cadance

An unsettling silence encompassed the room as Nova slowly put the letter down on the bed with a painful level of self-control. Glide wilted under his best friend's gaze. The young pegasus felt his ears press against his head and his wings wrap around himself in a tight, protective hug.

Not sure what else to do, and desperately wishing he could just deal with the previous awkward silence again, Glide turned his gaze towards a pillow. With a shaky hoof he pulled a sealed envelope out from beneath the pillow and held it out for his friend while speaking in a quiet, shaky voice. Still unable to be reacquainted with his friends terrifying gaze. "W-We all got our letters from the princess yesterday. I was given yours 'cause no pony wanted to be yelled out. Sorry for not giving it to you sooner, I-I didn't want to ruin your evening."

Without a word, Nova grabbed the envelope with a hoof and tucked it away somewhere inside his jacket.

Time passed excruciatingly slowly for the next few moments. Just before the air could become too heavy to breathe, Nova slowly raised a hoof and repeated his breathing technique from earlier that morning. Thankfully it continued to work wonders and the tension in the air quickly evaporated. With a soft sigh, Nova sheepishly rubbed the back of his head and apologized. "Sorry dude. I... I shouldn't have reacted like that. It's not your fault that you... you just don't realize how much of a bitch she is!"

"Why do you hate her so much?" The voice was barely a whisper. Normally Glide would've just meekly accepted his best friend's answer. But for reasons unknown, even to him, he found himself unable to simply let it go this time. The need to know filled him with a strange confidence.

Nova stiffened at the completely unexpected response. His eyes grew large with shock and fear before he gave his head a short, violent shake and looked away. The response that eventually escaped Nova's lips was surprisingly shaky. "It's personal."

Slowly two sets of eyes met once more.

Almost immediately Glide felt his newfound resolve melt away as he saw the absolute change which had taken over his best friend's demeanor. Nova had always been a confident, seemingly unshakable, colt who refused to show weakness. But at the moment Nova looked more akin to a scared foal with big, tear-filled eyes begging for his closest friend to just drop the subject. And indeed, Glide did feel the urge to do just that. To apologize, drop the subject, and pretend to have never even been curious. But deep down he knew he couldn't do that. Not anymore.

With tears filling his own eyes Glide found himself unable to stop himself as words spewed unbidden from his mouth. Quiet words that made him instantly hate himself. Made him feel so utterly selfish. "Do you really care about me?"

"What!?" Nova was beyond flabbergasted by the question. "Of course I do! Why would you ever doubt that?"

"We've been friends for over half a decade and you still don't trust me enough to let me know. Can you even name a single time I've betrayed your trust and tried to pry? Please. What did Princess Cadance ever do to you? I just want to know so I can help you. I care about you!" Hot, bitter tears streamed down Glide's face. Guilt and relief battled in his heart over his long pent up, emotional release.

Guilt was also stirring in Nova like a wild tempest. It resisted his every attempt to reign it in and quickly scattered his more logical parts to the four corners of his mind. Thus he responded with what he was left with. A quick emotional response. "You just don't understand! Look at that letter again and the way she wrote about me. Isn't it evident that she's trying to milk you for information about me?"

"She's just worried about you. You never respond to any of her letters and you avoid her like the plague whenever she visits. All she wants is to know what's wrong so she can help you."

"Oh come on! Learn to read between the lines. She's obviously obsessed with me."

Glide rolled his eyes in exasperation and muttered darkly under his breath.

Nova felt his blood go cold. He had no idea what words his friends had uttered, but the tone did not sit well with him at all. Yet when Nova responded it was with a surprisingly sangfroid tone. "What did you say?"

"I said, she's not the one who's obsessed."

"And what exactly is that supposed to mean?" The answer Nova received was in the form of his friend jabbing him with a hoof right on his jacket where Cadance's cutie mark resided. "T-That means nothing! You know full well how much I hate wearing that mark. I just haven't gotten around to removing it yet. You have no idea how much work goes into adjusting an article of clothing. I can't just take a random pair of scissors and go to town on my favorite jacket. Not to mention the time and effort it'll take to find the right fabric to mend the resulting hole."

Undeterred by the counter-argument, Glide raised a brow. "And how many hours a week do you spend ogling various fabrics, threads, and even needles at every shop in the city you can find? I'm betting more than enough to have found the right fabric by now."

Red faced and fuming, Nova desperately tried to come up with a convincing excuse for both his friend and himself. Hardly a moment passed before a smug grin covered his face as he found just such an answer. "Well have you thought that maybe, just maybe, I think the design of this jacket works best with a cutie mark in precisely that spot, and thus I wish replace her mark with mine? Oh wait a second. I don't have a cutie mark yet! How can I fix my jacket if I don't yet have a replacement mark for it. It would just be too much of a faux pas to leave the spot blank. Plus I'd rather make one big alteration rather than two separate smaller ones, to lower the risk of accidentally ruining my favorite jacket. See! A perfectly sane and rationale explanation."

"Oh, of course." Glide agreed with a condescending eye roll. "There's nothing more sane and rational than a colt who has a collection of newspaper clipping from every story that so much as mentioned Cadance. A colt who hides with binoculars to watch her from a distance whenever she visits our orphanage, and expects me to take notes on everything she does and says. A colt who has religiously read and memorized every book written by, or about, the princess of love... including that Hearts and Hooves Day cookbook."

"That's a damn good cookbook and you know it!"

Glide rolled his eyes. "Just face the truth. You're completely obsessed with Princess Cadance and it's really worrisome. I really think you need to stop and just forget about her. Is she really that important?"

That was the moment when Nova finally lost his last bit of composure and snapped. With a furious hiss he pounced forward, pinned his friend to the bed, and tried to wail on Glide's face with his hooves. Thankfully, Glide had the fortunate response of quickly grabbing a nearby pillow and shielding himself with it.

But nothing could shield him from Nova's harsh verbal onslaught. "She's important to me you bastard! Why can't you just respect my Faust damn privacy? Is it too much to ask for a caring friend who actually respects my feelings!?" The unrestrained words and hoof strikes continued to flow as Nova vented all his pent up fury.

Finally, after what could've been an eternity, despite actually only being a few minutes, Nova's livid feeling burned themselves out. He sat there atop his friend, his whole body shaking and his breathing a deep pant. It took several moments before he realized that his friend was also shaking beneath him. A flick of the ears revealed the telltale sound of sobbing. Slowly, with a trembling hoof, he removed the pillow from his friend's face and found Glide sobbing beneath. It was only then that Nova truly realized how badly he could've hurt his best friend if the pillow hadn't been there, and how much it must have still hurt even with the pillow.

As the crushing guilt overwhelmed Nova, his body lost all strength and he collapsed atop his friend. Hot, bitter tears burst forth as he joined in his friend's sobbing. Once more words escaped Nova's mouth from beyond his control.

"I'm sorry Glide. I'm so, so sorry!"