• Published 24th Nov 2016
  • 1,273 Views, 40 Comments

No Mare's Sky - Kaffeina



One mare in an infinite universe with no home, no friends, and a billion worlds in the sky's above her. What will she do, what will she encounter?

  • ...
4
 40
 1,273

Starbound

With a flinch, I opened my eyes to see a swirling vortex of color and the ground swayed beneath my hooves. Grasping my head with a foreleg, I squeezed my eyes shut tightly in an effort to prevent headache. It took a few moments, but when I opened my eyes again I was able to see where I was. A lavender foreleg partially blocked my vision as I lowered it back to the rock. A smoky smell wafted through my visor and suddenly a voice called out, electronic and effeminate.

Radioactive Protection at 100%

I flinched at the sudden volume in the almost palpable quiet. Shaking my head to clear the almost painful echo of the voice, I caught a view of something in my vision. A small meter next to a symbol I recognized, and blinked as I noticed is crawling backwards. My protection seemed to be losing power, yet, the heartbeat icon was moving so slowing I almost couldn't tell. Reaching my arm up, a catalogue of items leaped on my vision. A small grouping of 'technology' and otherwise empty slots.

"Where..." I rasped out, nearly coughing as the air scratched my throat. I swiped my hoof left and another list came into view. 'Ship'? A mechanical vehicle of some sort appeared on my visor, along with some stats. I peered at the technology and motioned over some, allowing it to show me how to repair these odd installations on the ship. Better to get it done and then figure out where I am, and what I'm doing here, and I mean here as in the place, not existing. I finally swiped out of the menu and saw a name I had never seen before, as far as I knew.

"Ravinvendunak?" I muttered, what an odd name. I turned my head to look behind me and was greeted by a slightly awful sight. The ship from my visor smoked in the background and the thrusters in the back looked cracked. I walked over to it slowly, lifting my hoof to examine it. The visor blared and I opened it to see the tech prompting me to use Carite Sheet times 4 for the Launch Thrusters and an isotope to charge it. The other engine, a pulse engine, required... 200 Heridium, 2 Carite Sheets, and 20 zinc, also requiring an isotope.

I looked around at the barren wasteland and pulled out the multi-tool which was apparently charged, my luck seemed to have changed. I passed out of the crater and looked out towards the odd coral-like structures in the distance meandering towards them by jumping and gliding over crevices. I touched down and lined my multi-tool at it, pulling the trigger with my... magic? I felt an odd sensation around my horn and the device hit the coral, blasting it to pieces and the visor notified me.

"36 Carbon?" I muttered. It was an isotope, which was good, but I needed iron. I peered through my multi-tool's scope and it said nothing, I flicked into the menu for the tool and winced. The Scanner and Analysis visors, which were likely what I needed to find the materials, were broken. I turned to the large rock and coral and kept blasting them. After the area was clear I flicked open my suit's menu and let out a happy chuckle. "Two stacks of iron, and almost three of carbon!" I jumped and switched to my multi-tool and repaired my scanner and analysis visor, grinning as it notified me of different materials.

After this I switched back to my ship and managed to pull up the crafting menu which my hoof, selecting the Carite and crafting 5, leaving me with a stack of iron. My suit blared at me with that voice once more and I was reminded I had 50% on my radioactive protection. The life support was well around 90% and I felt safe, so I hit it again, setting off towards more resources. The most notable was a grouping of the isotope elements, which I discovered granted me Plutonium, allowing me to charge my launch thrusters, yet I still needed the Heridium and Zinc, so I followed the only other symbol in the immediate area, a vial.

A massive pillar of a blue material with a silvery sheen stood before and seemed to bore into the ground a fair ways. After blasting it, I realized it was the Heridium I needed and I was pretty happy since it was so close. A few minutes later I had an entire two stacks and I raced back to ship, sending the stacks into the ship inventory and I was even more excited to realize it could stack 500 in each slot. I let out a cheer as I clambered into the cockpit and grabbed the controls, hitting what I assumed to be the launch button and the ship lurched from the ground and I glided off before seeing a landing pad off in the distance racing towards it and hitting the landing gear.

Each button, I discovered, was actually labeled for me. The most interesting was one that seemed to be missing, indicating a technology I had yet to acquire. I examined the cockpit further noting each and every control I could, especially the weapons. I also could see other ships flying off into the distance and some cruising down from the skies. After I landed I jumped out of the ship and noted some of the things around but what garnered my interest was the door ahead of me. I entered slowly and was greeted by... The creature before was weirder than anything I had seen yet.

A beak protruded from its face and beady eyes bore down on me. It was clearly an alien, or perhaps I was to it. This planet didn't have the feel I would expect of something I could call home. I approached and it spoke in a guttural clicking language. I watched as it indicated the plants around, then gestured at me. Maybe it wanted something from them? I approached and the plants dropped some carbon, which caused me to frown. I hadn't used my multi-tool. Ignoring it, I turned to the beast and handed some of the new carbon, which I managed to remove from my suit.

A happy guttural click came from it and it handed me a small electronic chip which I placed in the suit and received a notification.

Technology Acquired Radiation Deflector Sigma
Recipe Acquired Bypass Chip

I forced myself not to squeal, both in delight and interest as the beast looked at me. IT spoke again and then gestured towards its own mouth. I frowned and suddenly my suit flashed another message.

Learned Vy'keen Word for 'traveler'
Learned Vy'keen word for 'Carbon'

The cheers finally escaped. I didn't know this world, universe, whatever it was, but there was definitely something painfully interesting about it. I remembered little of my imagined home, beyond some names, but this one could hold some knowledge I could learn and take back with me. I nodded to the creature and turned to the device on the wall. It booted up and my visor flashed a bunch of words on my screen, including "Welcome to the Galactic Market Provision Matrix" and "//USER/admin>Twilight Sparkle/stat" and a further amount of things which moved past and then it asked me something more intriguing.

"Sell Items from Inventories or Buy Items from Galactic Trade Network?" I tapped the second option, perhaps I could acquire some of the Zinc I needed. It pulled up a very long list of devices and materials I didn't recognize and after scrolling I tapped on Zinc with a hoof. I finally realized all it did was sense my decisions when I thought them, not my hoof's movements. Placing it back on the ground, I thought of buying 20 pieces of Zinc and was notified of acquiring it and losing... 1,022 units?

"Units? Are those the currency? How odd," I muttered before stepping back as the menu disappeared and switching to my ship, restoring the 'Pulse Engine' and almost cheering again until it mentioned that I would need to acquire 'Thaumium9' to charge the device I had just fixed. I could guess that it must be an isotope, since it was used for fuel, yet I had only seen Carbon and Plutonium. It must not be here. I nodded to the creature which simply looked back to the device in its hands as I made back out to my ship. Maybe once I learned more I could figure out what it was using and use it myself.

My ship lurched beneath me after I entered and hit the launch again. A buzz and flash on my visor told me the thrusters had a 50% charge now. It required more fuel than I would have thought, which was also inefficient to me. Maybe I could find more technology to cut down the cost. I leaned the wheel, as I could best describe it, back and hit the boost for the ship as I launched into the sky. I cut through the clouds and gasped as I entered the space far above the planet's surface.

"Amazing," was all I could mutter at the sight before me. Multiple planets drifted lazily in the distance, closer than I could have believed otherwise, each as different from each as the planet below me was from them. The system's star glared from the side of my vision as I directed my ship towards one of the other planets, smashing through some asteroids which, even weirder, gave me the Thaumium9 I needed for the ship. My visor buzzed and I saw multiple notations appear next to each planet, and an odd symbol appear indicating, as it said, a 'Space Station'. While I felt in awe of what I could see, something tugged at the back of my mind. How did I get here and why am I here? Maybe, just maybe, the stars would tell?

Author's Note:

Welcome to the launch of the NMS story! I hope you all like it and it goes well. I'd also like to add, yes, I will explain why Twilight is here later on in this fic, a lot later on, actually, so keep watching for little hints I might be dropping later. Until then, the stars await a new adventure!

Comments ( 39 )

Hopefully this doesn't end up with a "no mare's sky was a mistake" tweet.

7744708 Hopefully not, because I'm gonna make my own fixes

I think this chapter was pretty good, can't wait to see where this story flies! :pinkiesmile::pinkiehappy::rainbowlaugh::rainbowlaugh::rainbowlaugh::pinkiegasp::rainbowlaugh::rainbowlaugh::rainbowlaugh::pinkiegasp::pinkiesmile:...


... Get it?

Question.... does this story have multiplayer?

7744739
"I mean, its possible but highly unlikely."

Yes, actually.

7744739 the answer is yes, but dont try because the chances of finding any one else is approximately 0.0002% likely. So don't try... because you wont find anyone... ever.

I want to read this, but my anger towards this game is too much... sorry.

7744800
I'm attempting to correct the flaws through the story, maybe try it out if you can muster it

Hopefully the ending is better than the actual game's ending.

7744744 I knew it....

7744912 hey, I'm just throwing out some ideas. They'd make the game even better, even if they were short cameos that'd last shorter than Suicide Squad's Joker screen time.

Already has more content than the actual game. :twilightsheepish:

7744739 yes but the odds of meeting up with them are so slim i doubt you will:rainbowlaugh:

7744747

The secret is, other players do not show up on your screen. They may be on the same planet, at the same trading post, and you wont see them or their ship. I saw a video of two friends who found their way to the same planet and everything.

7744988 I know. I followed the game online for a while and I was there duing the release, post and during its great destruction on the internet and steam.

7744996

Destruction? All I know is I fucking LOVE No Man's Sky. Yes, it needs more content, but the long game is my favorite. Three whole new languages to discover, Infinite worlds, hundreds of ships, EVIL ROBOTS. The only thing that would make it better as is, is the ability to see/customize your avatar.

7745001
I love it to, and it does need some improvements which I hope you'll end up agreeing with. What do you play on, PS4 or PC?

I've never played the game, nor do I plan to, but I'm interested in seeing where this goes. That being said, could I perhaps offer a bit of constructive criticism?

The visor blared and I opened it to see the tech prompting me to use Carite Sheet x 4 for the Launch Thrusters and an isotope to charge it. The other engine, a pulse engine, required... 200 Heridium, two Carite Sheets, and 20 zinc, also requiring an isotope.

When you describe the quantity here, and in other areas, you switch the way it is written almost every time. Alternating between the actual number, the way the number is written and in one case "x 4". I don't know if that's how things are represented in game. But it gave it sort of a clunky, choppy feeling when I read it. In my opinion, it might help with the overall fluidity of the chapter to pick one, and stick with it.... Honestly not trying to offend. Just throwing in my two bits.

7745032
Its fine, this was written in chunks every so often in the past day or so.

7745010

I play on the ps4. And yes, It could use some improvements.

Less dead planets for one. Or i'm just in a bad galactic neighborhood.

The space combat could use some tweaking. I end up getting like, 6-8 ships on me at once ALWAYS when I have no oxides for the shields. an there is never an iron asteroid at that time. NICKLE IS USELESS IN COMBAT!

And don't get me started on those Star Wars chicken walker knock offs. So OP.

7745049
Oh? PS4 here too! Send me your PSN Name in PMs! ANd, yeah, space combat sucks.
Although, I did end up taking out five ships without taking any damage because I saw them warp in and just started firing.

Is it weird that I kinda like this game... yes of course Sean Murray, and all of his BS lies about the game was a terrible thing to do. After it all though, I still really enjoy playing No Man's Sky. Is that just me?

7745075

Yeah, whenever it tells me they're coming i stop and wait for them to jump into view and then BAM! Photon laser all up in this bitch.

And sure, I'll pm you. You got GTA 5? I love free roam games.

Hello Readers! This fanfiction is inspired by MLP and No Man's Sky,

Hm, interesting. Is there any chance at all I will be able to contact any other players in space?

7745339
*shifty eyes*

Better than the actual game.

...ok, that sounded a bit harsh to the developers. Still doesn't change the fact that this fic is good.

Watch as the protagonist's whole adventure is collecting resources.

I, uh... I think this is a cool idea. I have some qualms about the execution. It's very terse. In 1,700 words you've gone through events that probably deserve about 10,000 to properly elaborate.

I mean... There's no sense of your pony (this is Twilight?) feeling lost or confused or spending any time trying to figure out her situation or how things work. She seems to just instantly understand everything without comment or feelings, like a robot. And the descriptions of how things work are so minimal that any reader who hasn't played NMS would be completely lost.

Heck, I had more difficulty than this figuring out how to play the game at the beginning, and I at least knew that I was playing a game and had some notion of what it was about, which is presumably not the case for our pony. Getting your ship repaired and flying, and getting off your starting planet, is probably the closest thing to a real adventure in NMS, and you've already knocked that off in your first chapter, and a pretty short chapter at that.

And meeting her first alien, which you'd think would be a big deal... "A beak protruded from its face and beady eyes bore down on me." That's it. That's the entire description? I couldn't even tell what species this referred to. I saw "beak" and at first thought Gek, then later saw that she learned Vy'keen words from it?

This seems... interesting.

Putting this in my 'read it later' folder.

Da fuck, this story just randomly popped into my favorites.

7745562
What the hell am I supposed to make 10,000 words out of?
"Hi, I'm Twilight Sparkle, where the fuck am I? Who the fuck..."

I drug it out as much as I could, and the way everything works is geared towards someone who HAS played the game, hence the footnote. As for the reaction, I was going to explain, via the story, exactly why she wasn't more confused. As for alien, those in NMS vary greatly and are quite hard to describe, at least for me.

I was wondering if I could help you out with this story if you want? I may not know much about the game No Man's Sky, but when it comes to creativity and character development, I'm your guy:pinkiehappy: So please let me know?

7747097 I saw the Cancelled on this story. Perhaps if you'd be willing to transfer your story to me? I would love to give a crack at it?

huh not the only one who planed a no mans sky fic tho mine is (since i still plan to write it) a more aftermath style fic and less placing a cannon character in the world

A beak protruded from its face.

Learned Vy'keen Word for 'traveler'
Learned Vy'keen word for 'Carbon'

I hate to be that guy, but arn't the Vy'keen the ones with the split bottom lip, and the Gek are the ones with the beak? I know I'm being knitpicky, but it is really cool idea, and was executed well, but it feels odd with the one mistake in it (unless I'm the one whose mistaken).

9574974

Yes, the Vy'keen are the space rhinos, but in the setting of NMS, the races know each other and the Gek are the trading species. It's actually not fair fetched, from a non-game standpoint, to learn any language from the Gek. I've also, on occasion, seen beaked Vy'keen. Nonetheless, it would probably be more sensible to say Gek, but the idea of only one species being in a system bothers me.

Login or register to comment