• Published 20th Nov 2016
  • 5,992 Views, 34 Comments

Twitch - Ice Star



Luna sits quietly.

  • ...
8
 34
 5,992

Twitch

Swallow. Blink.

A deep breath — the loudest sound she'll make all day. The one that will never be heard. Well, only by her with the midnight coat. Every day continues. Nothing looks wrong to the average pony — and why would it? They aren't very observant, to begin with.

They notice nothing.

Celestia, with her bright white coat and harsher radiance, chatters among them. She does so as if she could lower herself to their level and call herself a pony, no longer content with what she is. She tries to forget and Luna tries to talk.

It's simple, right?

Think of what to say.

Open her mouth.

Speak.

Keep her voice level, steady, and audible.

Only it wasn't simple.

Don't talk had become can't talk.

Her mind swarmed with details of the lethally meaningless every day, all the little sorrows and joys that bathed in the air around her.

Everything sparkled like glass, so obvious. Unlike her — noticeable. Each day was brighter, each night shunned even more.

Each star a curse.

There was a mouth open — that was Celestia. Talk, talk, talking. Smiling. Welcoming. Whatever they wanted her to be, she was. She was the sun.

And she burned bright enough to leave a mark, and to blind those who did not know better.

It wasn't that Luna didn't know what to say. She was wholly sure of that, having dwelt on the matter as hallways passed her eyes and another pony passed her like a ghost. Or maybe, the mortal had been more like the furniture they saw her as — present but unimportant. What need was there to pay any attention to her?

She knew exactly what she wanted to say. Always, always when she had spoken she had spoken well. But she knew everything that had to be said. Each syllable that would sound like thunder to her own ears even if it were but a whisper. That is what made it difficult. She could see the road before her. Going in blind would be far, far easier.

She sits next to Celestia on the forgotten throne. Half the room of stone—- sharp angles and dull hues in a neat tomb, imperial beyond belief, majestic, and properly suffocating — was gold.

Sun-gold.

She blinked in pain.

Yellow flowers knew to keep soft. These banners bled. Her gaze dropped. Every crack on the floor swam in front of her, every speck of dust made itself noticeable.

Luna drew a deep breath just quiet enough not to come across as bored. The noble droned on, ill-chosen words falling from his lips and cluttering the air with their meaninglessness. Each utterance was hollow.

Everypony stood on the side of gold — the only one they could see. They nodded, jewels gaudy. Celestia gave the noble a smile — he must have said something she liked, for Celestia always rewarded her sycophants.

Luna's mind dipped beyond the noise. She knew her face bore a comforting stoic look. Always thinking. She was surrounded by ponies. Alone.

Alone was but a different way to spell 'peace' for this dark mare. She shifted quietly in her seat, forehooves quietly in front of her, slouching slightly.

Luna looked, distant. Contemplative.

Maybe bored.

Her mind screamed as she watched the mouth of the noble move. Each of his words was wasted, wasted, wasted...

Celestia complemented his presentation, a mask of seriousness overtaking her pursed-lipped smile before she allowed it to widen again.

Luna wanted to cut the strings her sister has burrowed into herself. Blue eyes went unnoticed as they watched the next noble enter, the cacophony, and clinks of ill-spent phrases, and practiced greetings dropping to the ground before he even entered the room. The walls echo with their worthlessness.

Luna's stare widens. She's completely forgotten now, eyes boring into Celestia.

She does not hide their horror, raw and tearing. Celestia gives a kindly smile, veils of subject-centric thoughts narrowing her vision as she is unaware of her shadow's distress. Misery. Panic.

After all, is it not the princess — pretty, loved, popular, following the cues — to make sacrifices? Luna watches as her sister bravely sacrifices the good of one for the mewling silk-clad idiots' attention before her. One over many — it's the sun's way. So much so that Celestia had been willing to sacrifice living for the sake of merely existing, all for those who only ever wanted things from her and would never truly know her. Was Luna not right to be sickened that her sister thought that this chained state was life? That Celestia did everything in her power to impress this so-called lifestyle upon Luna too?

Speak, speak, speak, roars the thunder in her mind. Her vision swims.

Every detail stands out, screaming and bright. The glitter of her sister's crown, the lace of her gown. The Everfree palace sparkles with the recent cleaning it has in honor of the new day.

Slowly, Luna tears her gaze away from her sister.

The far wall becomes her focus.

Her heart is steady — this is everyday — and she tries to only listen to that.

It doesn't work—- all the sounds and stray vowels that drift through the air find her ears.

Luna almost blinks, to her it feels like a slow movement but she knows it's far quicker.

A faint tic, a twitch that passes the notice of others.

Not a dream.

Her left ear pricks to catch what sounds like a fragment of her own thoughts.

Not a dream.

Luna remains impassive. She even yawns, but her blood feels cold.

She can't tap Celestia or do anything to catch her attention.

They had made a silent treaty signed with bitterness, stubborn will, and everything between them. Luna still remembers the sound of the screams in their last fight that tore at the mere scraps their relationship had been in then.

They were Celestia and Luna.

Sisters in name only.

Celestia ruled and Luna...

Luna's jaw twitches.

One minute is over.

Swallow. Blink.

There's still many more to come.

She watches them pass, noble after noble with greed in their eyes and money behind their words. It was as if some part of them knew that what they said could and would never be enough to please the single goddess who dared to refuse 'gifts' and other material curses. Luna knew that they always came at a price, each whispering a curse of submission that Celestia would always accept. Oh, how her sister had rotted to a glassy-eyed creature under the countless yokes of mortal calls for her submission to their will — how ill the wrongness of it made Luna feel!

They sold their charity to the mare who sat on gold and gave her smile freely to everypony, cheapening it to the low price of being meaningless to all.

Luna only smiled in memories, mirth only left over from distant recollections of youth.

Happiness and words, all superficial things to be bought and sold for nobles. For ponies, who after the long winter that plagued them finally had both restored to them.

Luna felt anger rising in her throat. She bowed her head, parting her lips. Her mind overflowed with each declaration that would never be 'till only her own heartbeat filled her throat.

She murmured nothing, eyes under her thick mane which flowed about her face wild. Aware. Her eyes were blue-green like neither the earth nor heavens but somewhere in between. They saw all these ponies did, were like the ink of purity in the new world of the united tribes, bright paint to illuminate every misdeed witnessed and falsehood spread.

Luna had unbelievably tired eyes.

Her mad eyes, twitch once before calming just enough to pass unnoticed. Luna's head rises up, mane falling to her side with more sound than she can muster. A natural regality is in the pose of the dark sister, one the mortals have never been able to erase from her. She sits. Always watching. Luna thinks of herself as a mighty raven to her sister's praised and over-caressed dove.

The noise drones on, polluting the castle background her mind has long wandered from.

The indigo mare's feathers rustle. Her posture slackens somewhat.

Swallow.

Luna's muzzle twitches.

Blink.

Celestia's bright, hollow voice summons the next noble and Luna's silent war rages on.

Author's Note:

A short tale of the Iceverse. You don't need to read anything else to gain context of what happens here.
There's an original version posted here.
Next story in the timeline (for those who might want to read it) is

[Revised for print on 11/13/2020]

Comments ( 34 )

Not as spoopy as I thought it'd be but it was good nonetheless.

Tbh, I was too into the glorious present tense and beautiful imagery to actually notice what was going on...

Then, it hit me after. :fluttershbad:

What he said. What's going on in this story?

7736983 Luna is going through some stuff - mutisim, stress, etc.

CCC

7736983

Fairly major spoiler here. Anyone who hasn't read the story, read the story first.

This story is not set in Modern Equestria. It's set a bit more than a thousand years before Episode One...

7736990

imperial beyond beleif

Don't know why nobody pointed this out. Anyway, there is a typo.

By the way, I understand what you were going for in the full context, but I still have no idea what you're going for. Was it meant to be harsh?

7801460 Luna is succumbing to insanity.

7802395 As highlighted by the message of the entire story. I could already tell it was pre-NMM, though it was just a hunch.

7738612 wait, that's supposed to be a twist? it seemed pretty obvious from the get-go

Hey there!

I very much enjoyed the interpretation of Luna's descent into madness all those years ago; it was never really something I took into consideration in terms of lore. I really enjoyed this story, so I produced a dramatic reading of it among my Halloween specials for this month. Hope you enjoy! ^_^
Check it here!

~Guti

8487940
Oh my gosh! I actually ended up missing the notification to this because I didn't get one. A spoopy Friday the 13th reading in the 13th comment on one of my spoopy stories? This is great and extremely unexpected (also spooky) and thank you for it! I've added it to the description! :D

PresentPerfect
Author Interviewer

Excellent! :D

8541937
Oh no, you're digging deeper into the abyss of my stories

Please don't stop

Oh hey she’s going mad~

This feels rather similar to my own episodes of sensory overload. Where everything feels too loud and too much and how can they stand it and-

Well done.

9160889
That's what this was meant to showcase: symptoms aligning with things like panic attacks, sensory overloads, and a coming mental breakdown (which would be in the form of Luna's Fall). Thanks for reading!

That

is some spooky cover art. Poor Luna. Really, poor Luna. Very well done.

9873964
Thank you! Especially for enjoying a spooky story of mine during Spooktober! That’s always pretty neat.

Very chilling look at Luna's life as a royal. The one word sentences and repetaition were profound and impactful!

10070588
Thank you! This one’s reputation is nice to see.

I don’t really understand what’s going on.

10345592
Luna is suffering a mental breakdown about the loss of divine identity and control in her life prior to her fall.

10345614
Ok, now it makes sense a little.

Fixes first:

That Celestia did everything in her power to impress this so-called lifestyle upon Luna too>

Pretty sure that last Shift key didn't work and you mean a question mark at the end.

Luna that they always came at a price, each whispering a curse of submission that Celestia would always accept.

*Luna knew

Her eyes were blue-green like neither the earth nor heavens but somewhere in between They saw all these ponies did,

Need a period between "between" and "They". Also, I love this way of describing Luna's eyes. Fitting for the story.

Well, this was a... I hesitate to say "nice" dive into Luna's mind, given her mental state, but it was eloquent, vivid, and evocative. All the visual metaphors, as well as the little details about how Luna views Celestia's interactions with the nobles, added to the atmosphere of alienation, isolation, and anxiety. It's interesting to see where your Iceverse interpretation of Luna's downfall and my own intersect and diverge. My own personal headcanon is that Luna's growing dissatisfaction with her role led to resentment of Celestia, which was capitalized upon by the Spirit of Nightmare (something akin to the Pony of Shadows), which perhaps infected Discord and/or Sombra as well. Basically possession.

The last few lines of this are particularly great. That little twitch... Damn. Just damn.

10600926
Holy fuck, how did those sneak past me. Anyway, I fixed them all now.

It's interesting to see where your Iceverse interpretation of Luna's downfall and my own intersect and diverge. My own personal headcanon is that Luna's growing dissatisfaction with her role led to resentment of Celestia, which was capitalized upon by the Spirit of Nightmare (something akin to the Pony of Shadows), which perhaps infected Discord and/or Sombra as well. Basically possession.

Yeah, I never used the whole possession idea so you're just gonna see a lot of mental distress when you poke around my Pre-NMM Luna stories. Have fun!

I'm giving this a thumbs up, but one thing pulls at my mind.


It is- Forgive me, but I don't understand why this has a horror tag.

11158926
Having the protagonist lose their mind in detail is definitely a horror story lol

Awesome story, loved how it descend like it's going downstairs. Now write her shooting a gun.

11159024
Horses don't have guns though? 🤔

I absolutely love this story! The idea of the radiant, day-themed decor of the castle being almost physically distressing to Luna is quite interesting.

Login or register to comment