• Published 20th Nov 2016
  • 731 Views, 11 Comments

Old Wounds, New Scars - CoverArt



This must be a test. Me? Princess Cadence, make peace with changelings, especially her? After what they've done to me? Ridiculous!

  • ...
2
 11
 731

One Bad Morning

I wake up a few hours later, thankfully because I felt the sun on my face and not because of another nightmare. At least I hope I’m not in another dream. I slowly shake Shiny until he wakes. He shakes his head a bit and looks at me with a knowing look, as he lit up his horn, using his magic to give me a pinch on my leg. The small, sharp pain, while annoying, makes me give a huge sigh of relief. I smile at him and say thank you. This is the only way I can truly be sure I’m awake, unfortunately; you can’t feel pain in dreams according to Aunt Luna.

I crawl out of bed with Shiny and head to the bathroom to get myself presentable for breakfast with my aunts. It wasn’t a huge deal if I showed up straight from bed but knowing my luck some important thing would come up in the middle of breakfast and I’d look like trash. Plus, after that nightmare last night, I could really use a nice long, hot shower. That’s exactly what I take, sans long, I’m only in the shower for about fifteen minutes’ max before I give it over to Shiny. Unlike me, he has to go to the guard house and help train them, as he’s been doing for a while now. The invasion showed just how ill-prepared Equestria was to fight against a hostile force. Sure, Twilight and her friends can shoot weaponized harmony at a baddie or two, but against an army? I shudder as the screams from the nightmare echo in my head.

I shake my head a bit and finish brushing my mane. I turn my head this way and that, making sure it’s all just right before I nod in satisfaction. I slip on my regalia quickly and trot over to the bathroom door. Poking my head in I say goodbye to Shiny and, of course, tell him I love him, which he happily replies back. I close the bathroom door again and head out of the bedroom, the two guards on either side of the door follow a few steps behind me. As much as his title would say otherwise, Shiny doesn’t receive guard protection as he’s not directly in charge of anything but the guard forces in the joint Crystal Empire- Equestria alliance. Though being a highly trained guard meant he really didn’t need protection.

I chuckle at the thought of Shiny having to deal with guards watching over him as I enter the small dining room me and my aunts use for breakfast. Aunt Celestia is already sitting down munching on a muffin, Aunt Luna is probably still waking up from her nighttime duties. Of course, she couldn’t help me, though. I know it’s not her fault, but I get cranky when I don’t get enough sleep, meaning I’ve been cranky for a good two years. I hide it well from my subjects and aunts, though, or at least I think I do, for all I know they could just be pretending not to notice. Knowing my aunts, the later was probably accurate.

“Good morning Cadence, how did you sleep?” Celestia asks me, giving her usual small smile. I give one back and open my mouth to answer when she hits me with a knowing look, of course, she knows.

“You know Alicorns aren’t supposed to be all knowing, right?” I say with a sigh.

“It doesn’t take special powers to see that you’re tired Cadence.”

“Unfortunately, you’re right, but you know I haven’t slept well in ages.”

“Yes, but this time seems different, did something different happen in your dream?”

“I’m curious about that too dear Cadence,” came Luna’s voice from the entrance to the room. She trots in with a look of concern.

“What’s wrong sister? Were you able to see something in her dreams this time?” Celestia asks standing up. I too look over to her, wondering the exact same thing. If she was able to see in my dreams, then maybe she will be able to help me now.

“I saw all of it this time, Cadence, I must say how sorry I am you have to go through that, if there was any way I could help I would, I was honestly surprised I could even see it this time.”

“It’s alright Aunt Luna, I know you tried everything you could, it’s just something I have to deal with.”

“So what was different this time Cadence?” Celestia asks me.

“Well, simply put, it ended, like it played through the entire thing, instead of me just waking up at some point in it.”

“Hmm… we should discuss this when we get a chance, it might mean someth- yes?” Celestia cuts herself off and glances at the entrance to the room. Aunt Luna and I turn around to see a guard standing there, at attention.

“Your Highnesses, your presences are requested in the throne room as soon as you can.”

“My court will begin in an hour or so, surely it can wait,” Celestia, waves her hoof dismissively.

“Your majesty, I was told it was a matter of great diplomatic importance.”

Celestia looks at me and Luna, we each give a little nod and she concedes.

“Alright, we shall be in the throne room in a few minutes.”

“Yes your majesty,” The guard says before disappearing.

“This has to be some sort of trap,” I point out to the two. Celestia just sits there contemplating what this could be about. Luna, however, started walking towards the door.

“The best way to deal with an unavoidable trap is to spring it.”

“You’re right sister, let us deal with this before anything happens,” Celestia nods as she gets up and walks to her sister. Making their decision, I go to join them, no sense in sitting it out, besides there hasn’t been a take over Equestria scheme in a while so we’re overdue.

We walk out of the room, our guards falling in behind us, including the guard that let us know of the audience. It doesn’t take long for us to enter the throne room, the dining room was put just a short walk away from it so that my aunts could go have a quick lunch or dinner in between courts. We stop at the doors, prepared for what lies inside. Aunt Celestia looks and me and Luna, we both nod, prompting her to enter. She casts her magic, lets it envelop the doorknob, and pushes the door open.

Nopony was inside.

“Well, at least they’re polite enough to wait outside for us,” Celestia comments as she goes over to the throne and sits down. Luna and I sit to either side of her, and our two guards stand on either side of us three.

“They may enter when they wish,” Luna announced. A few moments later the doors opened to reveal our guest walking in.

My eyes widen and I gasp sharply. As far as I can tell my aunts have a similar reaction but I barely notice. All I’m concerned with is the feeling of years of therapy and family support shatter. She’s back. That’s all I manage to think before my brain stops working and I black out.