• Published 6th Dec 2016
  • 3,639 Views, 18 Comments

Grogar: Screams Upon a Winter's Night - Jade Ring



A nightmare from their foalhoods returns to haunt three young ponies and finish what it started so many years ago.

  • ...
1
 18
 3,639

Author's Note: When a Story Just Doesn't Want to Be Told

Author's Note:

I considered forcing this story to completion, stretching myself mentally and forcing myself to see this story through to the bitter end. The last time I did that was ‘Return to Slender,’ and look how unsatisfying that is as a narrative. (Ironically, I had the idea for a third ‘Slender’ while finishing ‘Return’ and added the tag at the end of the second, sure that I would have what it took to tell that story as well. I was incorrect.)

I view my stories as my children. It may sound pretentious, but it’s true. The ideas take shape in my head and, when the time is right, are born through my hand and onto the screen.

Sometimes, my children are born half-formed and thus are unsatisfying to both myself and my readers. Sometimes they’re rushed and don’t have the impact they’re meant to have.

And sometimes… sometimes they just want to stay as ideas. They don’t want to exist.

It appears that ‘Grogar: Screams Upon a Winter’s Night’ is one of those stories.

I made the decision to write this story months ago. I was encouraged after the first ‘Grogar’ story became the first of my stories to be reviewed by the Seattle Angels. It made me appreciate my little Hearth’s Warming Horror story that much more and I resolved to write another this holiday season.

When I finished the initial concept, I was thrilled by it. The idea of childhood nightmares returning to haunt us as adults was something I just knew I could sink my teeth into. I could pay tribute to some of my favorite horror tropes and revisit characters I’d become quite fond of. More than that, after seeing ‘Hearth’s Warming Tail,’ I knew I could even add a bit of back-story as to what Grogar was while tying my own works to the source material in a new and original way.

The season approached. I donned my Santa hat, opening a blank document, and started work. The first excerpt from Snowfall’s journal came swimmingly.

The first chapter… not so much.

I began to notice problems in the narrative flow. In the first ‘Grogar,’ the ram arrives at the end of the first chapter. As the sequel was planned out, he didn’t show up until the end of the second. This, along with new subplots and new characters, meant that the pacing was completely jacked up. The first chapter was supposed to be visiting Applebloom in the asylum, the trio on the train, and the arrival in Trottingham. The scenes were just too short and nothing was happening. I did some reorganizing and added the scene with the doctor and the orderly, cut the train scene, added the train station scene to take its place, and added the final tag to introduce Pence and Penny. Miracle of miracles, it kind of works.

One problem.

The whole process was a chore. It wasn’t fun. I wasn’t looking forward to telling the story. Pence and Penny’s parents went through numerous characterization revisions. I couldn’t settle on a satisfactory ending. I’ve been fiddling with the second chapter and things don’t feel natural. I just… it wasn’t working.

And so I’ve decided that this child, as excited as I was for it as first, is simply better as an idea. I envisioned it as a movie, not a story. That was my folly.

But sometimes, as KingMoriarty has shown me, it’s okay to throw your hands up and say “You know what? This isn’t working. Let me devote my time to something that is.” In my case, I’m ready to tell ‘On Swift Wings’ and finish ‘the Wicker Mare.’

It breaks my heart to cancel a story I announced over two hundred days ago, but the tale just doesn’t want to be told. I realize a number of you will be disappointed by this and few may even Unfollow me. That’s okay. All I can say is that I’m sorry.

As a consolation, the next chapter will be the full summation of the rest of the plot. In my opinion, the whole story works better as a summary anyway. Sometimes ideas are just meant to be that; ideas.

And maybe ‘Grogar’ works as well as it does because it’s only a one shot. Not everything needs a sequel, y’know?

Scary Christmas, everyone.

-Jade Ring
December 14, 2016