• Published 19th Nov 2016
  • 6,274 Views, 1,704 Comments

This War of Ours - JDPrime22



Two sides of good clashing together, fighting for what they believe is right, breaking partnerships and ending friendships… human and pony alike.

  • ...
9
 1,704
 6,274

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 16 - Lineage

Vienna, Austria

Meeting of the United Nations

12:00 p.m.



Prince T’Challa was never a man for politics. The thought of corrupted, old men discussing trade, warfare, and other discomforts that were told to bring good to the people only made him sour. Yes, he was born into royalty, and destined into that life, which meant an inevitable life of politics was soon to follow.

Prince T’Challa thought differently. As he stared off into the bustling streets of Vienna, memories of his own childhood slowly surfaced. The long, hot summers training, hunting, understanding in a world so full of power, but unable to show it. A country so distant, so disconnected, yet managing far better than any other nation in Africa. He would remember the campfire stories his grandfather used to tell, of the great men in the tribe before him.

How their lineage meant so much to their nation. Perhaps that is why he was there with his father, speaking with the corrupt men. Wakanda was as affected as any other nation when it came to the actions of the Avengers. And the leaders of said nation, T’Challa and his father, would lead the Accords to ratification.

“Excuse me, Ms. Romanoff? Princess Twilight? These need your signatures.”

And perhaps they wouldn’t have to be the only ones.

Spinning around, Prince T’Challa caught sight of Natasha Romanoff, the infamous Black Widow, signing away on a clipboard, just as he had. Standing next to her, a sight that wasn’t so surprising was the Princess of Friendship and her student, two of the ambassadors of planet Equus. If it hadn’t been for the two of them and the rest of the ambassadors practically dominating every news station on the planet, Prince T’Challa might have been slightly surprised.

Slightly.

Still, he felt as if a proper introduction was in order.

After both Princess Twilight and her student had signed their names on the clipboard, the UN staffer thanked the group of three and made her way to greet the newcomers. Once she had left, Prince T’Challa stepped forward behind them.

“I suppose none of us are used to the spotlight,” he greeted them, causing Romanoff and the two equines to spin and face him.

Both Twilight and her student smiled to the man. “Sorry,” Twilight apologized, waving her hoof, “are we that easy to spot?”

Natasha chuckled warmly, turning back to Prince T’Challa. “Well, the spotlight isn’t always so flattering,” she told him.

“You three seem to be doing all right so far,” he said with a smile, the mares returning it. He looked back up to Natasha, smirking as he said, “Especially you, Ms. Romanoff, considering your last trip to Capitol Hill. I never thought you’d be so particularly comfortable in this company.”

“Well, I’m not,” she replied, earning a smile from the prince. “But Princess Twilight on the other hand… excels in this type of company.”

T’Challa returned his gaze lower, smiling to the two mares. “So I have heard.”

“Twilight, this is T’Challa, Prince of Wakanda. I don’t believe you two have been formerly introduced,” Natasha explained, looking from Twilight to T’Challa and back again.

The Prince of Wakanda bent down to one knee in order to shake her hoof. “That we haven’t. And I must say, Twilight Sparkle, from a prince to a princess, politics… just might go downhill from here.” Twilight laughed at that, T’Challa winking at her. “But that’s from my own perspective.”

As he released his grip around her hoof, he turned his strong gaze to the left, smiling to the pale pink unicorn. “The student of the princess,” T’Challa said, holding out his hand to the mare. “You must be Starlight Glimmer.”

Starlight replied with a smile, as well as strong hoof/handshake. “It’s a pleasure to meet you, Your Highness.”

“Please, there is no need for such formalities,” he told her, the two breaking away.

“Considering your behavior, I would assume that you have grown fond to the life of politics, T’Challa,” Natasha said as he stood up.

The prince brushed off his knees, chuckling to the woman. He said, “It is just good behavior, Ms. Romanoff. I am much like you, and that alone makes me glad you are here.”

“You don’t approve of politics, Prince T’Challa?” Twilight asked.

He shook his head. “Not really. The Accords, however, are a different story. I only wished they could be ratified on a simpler occasion. After all, two people in a room can get more done than a hundred.”

Unless you need to move a piano.”

The unknown voice emerged from behind the three, T’Challa’s eyes focusing forward, a small smile growing across his lips. Both mares spun around, their eyes shooting upwards to spot an older gentleman approach them. He had graying hair, as well as a silver goatee. Behind his glasses used to enhance his eyesight, an unusual wisdom and strength was held in his gaze, something Twilight had yet to discover.

She gazed wondrously at the older gentleman, even as he and Prince T’Challa greeted in their native language. She watched as his smile disappeared as he eyed Natasha. “Ms. Romanoff,” he greeted, plain and simple. No nonsense.

Natasha replied just as the same, except she actually managed to hold a smile. “King T’Chaka,” she greeted. “Please, allow me to apologize for what happened in Nigeria.”

“Thank you,” King T’Chaka said, slowly turning his attention to the two mares. Natasha was soon to do the same, hands behind her back, worry in her eyes.

The ponies, however, were quick to respond. Both Twilight and Starlight bowed in respect to the King of Wakanda, Twilight saying, “Your Highness, we as well would wish to apologize for the events in Lagos. It is a terrible thing to have to lose your own countrymen in a foreign conflict.”

Starlight nodded, the two rising up. She said, “Yes, we’re deeply sorry for our actions, and… everything, in general.”

They could see as the stone-cold gaze of the Wakandan king hardly shifted despite their apologies. However, he eventually nodded to the two, bowing his head in respect. “Apology accepted, Princess Twilight. Starlight Glimmer. I would wish to thank you all for agreeing to this.”

He slowly turned to face Natasha. “It is a shame Captain Rogers will not be joining us today.”

Another forced smile. “Yes, it certainly is,” Natasha replied, her voice being drowned out by the intercom.

“If everyone could be please be seated. This assembly is now in session.”

A bustle of world leaders began to take their seats, Prince T’Challa watching with apathy. Still, he sighed and turned to his father. “That is the future calling,” he said. His father smiled at that.

Natasha nodded, turning her gaze downwards. “Well, girls, we had better take our seats,” she addressed, shaking T’Challa’s hand for good measure.

“Such a pleasure, all of you,” the prince told them, shaking hands, hooves, and watching them leave to their seats. As it was just the son and the father left standing, T’Chaka approached his son with a smile, prompting to speak to him in his native tongue.

For a man who disapproves of diplomacy, you’re getting quite good at it.”

T’Challa smiled to that, appreciating his father’s kind words. “I’m happy, Father,” he replied, joining his father in speaking his native language. “For the good of our country, our future, and our family.”

King T’Chaka smiled, resting his palm against his son’s cheek. The two shared a quick gaze, the father’s smile fading as he looked into his son’s eyes. And his son, seeing the years of leadership, heritage, and strength in his father’s gaze, felt the coolness of the ring grace his cheek.

Thank you,” T’Chaka finished.

T’Challa kissed his father’s hand. “Thank you.”


“When stolen Wakandan Vibranium was used to make a terrible weapon, we in Wakanda were forced to question our legacy. Those men and women killed in Nigeria were part of a goodwill mission from a country too long in the shadows.”

Princess Twilight and Starlight Glimmer sat side by side, listening intently as every other individual had. The two sat quietly with Natasha, watching the king’s movements while he stood alone on the podium, gazing out into the sea of world leaders and politicians. So many sullen faces. So many waiting.

King T’Chaka did not let them hold him back. “We will not, however, let misfortune drive us back. We will fight to improve the world we wish to join. And perhaps, we will improve because of it.”

Prince T’Challa listened to his father’s words carefully, standing strong on every word, in agreement with every statement. However, standing by the edge of the glass window, his eye caught something particularly interesting occurring in the street below.

“I am grateful to the Avengers for supporting this initiative. And just as well, two of the Ambassadors of Equus stand with us today in support for this grand change.”

T’Challa approached the window’s face, staring down into the street.

“Wakanda is proud to extend its hand in peace.”

Two police officers and their dog surrounded a news van just below him. The officers shouted something, began to run, their dog barking fiercely.

The pupils in T’Challa’s eyes shrank. The police, the dog, the van, the meeting.

The meeting. He turned back.

And screamed, “Everybody get down!”

People turned in his direction, some screaming, others standing up. But T’Challa didn’t notice. He was already off, rushing towards his father, leaping at him with such speed that he almost reached him. Almost reached him. No. The blast was too fast, even for him.

A deafening roar tore across the meeting room.

The glass window completely shattered as a wave of fire and smoke spewed outwards. The shock wave launched both the king and the prince off the podium and down onto the floor, the remainder of the blast enveloping the room and everyone in it. Natasha Romanoff instinctively shielded her face once a wave of smoke and fire rushed towards her.

But soon, she realized it never came in contact with her skin. It never even touched her.

Lowering her arms, Natasha could see nothing but an aura of violet and turquoise shielded across her. She looked over to her right, seeing the many politicians picking themselves up, brushing themselves off, and stand in amazement to the dome of two concurring lights sparkle over their heads. Where they stood, they were alive and well. Beyond the wall remained nothing but dark smoke.

Natasha slowly turned to her left and saw both Twilight’s and Starlight’s horns aglow.

Each of their faces were etched into a single expressive feature, both shocked, uncertain, but ready. They waited until the smoke cloud dissipated before their horns died down, thus collapsing the shield. The aura of violet and turquoise vanished, allowing the sunlight plagued in sickly white ash to wash inside the building.

Natasha peered into the sickness. Twilight and Starlight rose from their seats and entered it.

They all seemed to be staring at the same scene. Everyone who had lived.

Prince T’Challa rushed to his father lying in the shattered concrete and glass of the building. White ash fell around the two, said ash blowing even further into the room. A proper evacuation began to follow, people being escorted out of the room. Sirens wailed from the outside, from the large opening that remained following the blast.

Natasha rose from her seat at last, and even then she remained frozen. The mares stood in unison, staring off into the raining ash as the prince tried desperately to awaken his king. They were unable to fully process what had happened, how it happened, or why it had happened. It just did, and they stood alive in the center of it all.

He tried for a pulse, he tried again. And again. And again.

He tried so many times and found nothing.

He screamed for his father, cradled the lifeless body in his arms and cried.

The King of Wakanda cried.


London, England

11:15 a.m.



“A bomb hidden in a news van ripped through the UN building in Vienna. Due to the quick efforts of Princess Twilight Sparkle and her pupil Starlight Glimmer by creating a shield to protect any politician they could, less than fifteen people were injured, and only seven were killed. Unfortunately, they were unable to protect Wakanda’s King T’Chaka, who died in the bombing.

“Officials have released a video of a suspect who they have identified as James Buchanan Barnes, the Winter Soldier. The infamous HYDRA agent has been linked to numerous acts of terrorism and political assassinations.”

Just like that, whatever the reporter had said had become drowned out. The images of the fires, the falling ash and flaming paper from the side of the UN building, and the firemen rushing to put out the flames had become blurred. The Pegasus’ breath became unnaturally quiet, even for her.

Rainbow Dash knew that name.

James Buchanan Barnes.

The Winter Soldier.

She and Sam looked to Steve, saw what remaining strength he had left leave his eyes, only pain remaining. Dash heard a pair of footsteps directly behind her, prompting her attention backwards.

Sharon Carter stepped up between the two men, stared at the screen with them, and sighed. “I have to go to work.”

Author's Note:

Pretty busy week. :ajsleepy:

PreviousChapters Next