• Published 19th Nov 2016
  • 6,264 Views, 1,704 Comments

This War of Ours - JDPrime22



Two sides of good clashing together, fighting for what they believe is right, breaking partnerships and ending friendships… human and pony alike.

  • ...
9
 1,704
 6,264

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 15 - Never Lived till You Danced

London, England

Saint Luke’s Cathedral

2:03 p.m.



The conjoined hymn from the boys’ choir filled the cathedral with whatever form of life was possible on that dreary day. The rows upon rows of people dressed in their finest wear stood in attendance, eyes faced forward, standing patiently, waiting silently.

Then, down the long, empty aisle, several gentlemen carried with them a large casket adorned with flowers and the British flag. They carefully, slowly walked down the aisle, closer and closer to the stage. Many eyes turned their way, most spotting the individual bearing the casket’s front right end.

Captain Steven Rogers. Captain America. He was just as well dressed as any other individual holding the casket, his expression just as—if not more—broken. His eyes were as red as the stripes on the British flag, dried tears on his cheeks. Many in attendance would understand why. But a few, simply a few, would not.

They were sitting in the front row with Sam Wilson.

As Steve and the others carried the casket on stage, Twilight Sparkle and her seven friends studied the scenery around them. Steve had told them yesterday of the funeral, and just how much it would mean to him if they came in attendance. He thought they deserved to know a little bit more about the ones closest to him.

About Peggy Carter.

He hadn’t said much, just that they used to work together during the second World War to take down HYDRA. He also might have slipped that they were probably a “thing” back then, to which the mares—Rarity and Pinkie especially—gushed over.

Speaking of Rarity, their time on Earth allowed her to work with a majority of Earth’s materials, such as fabric, cotton, and other clothing essentials. She was able to craft seven specific dresses for her and her friends, and of course a suit for Spike. As they sat down, Rarity fumbled with her mane to make it as presentable as possible. Her friends all appeared content with their mane styles Rarity had offered them, and a couple may have worn the dresses simply not to hurt Rarity’s feelings.

Rainbow tugged at the collar of her dress. Applejack shifted back and forth in her seat, trouble finding a comfortable position with her dress getting in the way.

Twilight sat next to Sam, the two watching as Steve and the others took their seats. Naturally, Steve sat to Sam’s left at the edge of the row, his palms intertwining with one another, eyes downward. The preacher began to speak to those in attendance, but Twilight hadn’t been paying that much attention.

Her eyes were locked with the lone picture resting near a pile of flowers. It displayed a colorless frame of a beautiful young woman staring confidently forward, a strong smile on her lips. Her name was Margaret “Peggy” Carter, as it read at the bottom of the picture frame. Twilight may have known very little about her, but with so many people in attendance to her funeral, Steve’s broken posture, and the single picture resting on the stage, Twilight felt there was more to the woman than meets the eye.

That’s how she felt personally. For others, for friends, for allies, for family, she meant so much more. And perhaps Twilight could, as well.

“And now, I would like to invite Sharon Carter to come up and say a few words,” the preacher announced, turning his attention over to the right side of the stage. Everyone else in attendance followed, watching as the young woman stepped up to the podium on the right.

Sharon Carter, Twilight thought. She must have been related some way to Margaret. She wore a simple black buttoned dress. Her straight, blonde hair rested on her shoulders, her eyes scanning the crowd and falling on the front row. For a moment, Twilight had thought she was looking at her and her friends—and she did, for moment, considering they were the only ponies in attendance—but she turned further to the end of the row.

Sam nudged Steve, who still hadn’t looked up. Once he did, he stared at Sharon silently, awaiting her words for the late Peggy Carter.

She exhaled shakily, then managed a little smile and began. “Margaret Carter was known to most as a founder of S.H.I.E.L.D., but I just knew her as Aunt Peggy.”

She seemed to be staring at Steve as she said that, almost expecting some sort of response from him before eyeing elsewhere. Steve wasn’t surprised by any means, but it made more sense for her to be Peggy’s niece if anything. He remained silent, Sam and the mares doing the same, as Sharon continued.

“She had a photograph in her office. Aunt Peggy standing next to JFK. As a kid, that was pretty cool. But it was a lot to live up to,” Sharon said, her smile beginning to waver shortly. “I never told anyone we were related because of this, and… even now I don’t know if I made the right decision. Should I have gone through my life just known as the niece of the famous Margaret Carter… or should I have gone the other way, disregarding the connection, simply calling the similar names a coincidence?”

Steve listened carefully, breathing in her words at every pause.

Sharon swallowed steadily, then said, “Maybe Aunt Peggy wanted what was best for me. I believe she did. And she wanted me to make others see me as my own person, not just another one of her. I don’t know if she was protecting me or… teaching me a lesson. Either way… it worked.”

Smiling at that, Sharon planted her palms onto the podium. “I asked her once how she managed to master diplomacy and espionage in a time when no one wanted to see a woman succeed at either. She said, compromise where you can. But where you can’t, don’t. Even if everyone is telling you that something wrong is something right.”

For a moment, Steve listened extra carefully, hanging on every word.

Sharon seemed to glance at him before turning away, eyeing the crowd of family and friends. She said, “Even if the whole world is telling you to move, it is your duty… to plant yourself like a tree, look them in the eye and say, ‘No, you move.’”

Steve dropped his gaze, thinking of those words throughout the entire ceremony.


It was Steve Rogers alone in the cathedral, the silence of the towering walls somehow being his only companion, even when he knew it wasn’t true. Everyone else had left several minutes ago, everyone except for Rainbow Dash, Applejack, Pinkie Pie, Fluttershy, Rarity, Twilight Sparkle, Starlight Glimmer, and Spike.

They never left him, even when he said they could.

He stood in the edge of the aisle, hands in his pockets, eyes forward to the stage, not saying a word. As if in silent agreement, the mares gave him time to himself, letting the silence surround them. They rested on the bench and waited, waited for Steve to do something, to call it quits and head back home.

For the longest time, he never did. He just stared at Peggy Carter’s portrait. Almost lost. Hoping for something.

“She meant quite a lot to you.”

Twilight slowly turned her attention over to Rarity, the unicorn finally having the courage to speak out. Thankfully, that courage didn’t vanish, even as Steve turned his head to her. The mares followed suit, shifting their eyes to Rarity, listening as she asked, “Didn’t she?”

And then they turned to Steve. For a moment, he didn’t seem too keen on responding. His head fell, hands resting deep within his pockets. The mares and baby dragon were patient, though. They waited for Steve to respond, if he ever did.

Sighing, almost painfully, Steve said, “I met her a long time ago, before the serum, back when I was still in the army. She was unlike anyone I had ever met. Strong, confident… gorgeous. She exemplified everything a leader should be… Everything…”

The fading strength in his voice was clearly evident. Steve slowly shut his eyes, a hand rising to rub them. The mares shared several looks of worry. Twilight shot out her hoof, declaring, “Steve, you don’t have to continue if it’s too much for you. We understand.”

Instead, he waved her off, saying, “No, no, it’s fine. I’m fine, really. It’s just… I made a lot of mistakes back then, a lot of promises, many of which I never did keep. First with Bucky, then… then I promised her I’d give her a dance once we got back home safely.”

He shook his head. “Only a few of us didn’t make it back… only a few of us stopped HYDRA from striking the United States, and only one of us didn’t get home. I could remember… how much she really cared for that scrawny little kid from Brooklyn. After our first kiss, I… I thought maybe I had a chance at a home… back home. With her.”

Fluttershy sniffed hard, using her handkerchief to dap at her eyes. Twilight had grown a little misty-eyed, as well, some of the mares joining her. Some others remained strong.

Another sigh from the Captain. Another shake of his head. “We never did have our dance. Now… we never will,” he muttered, falling silent after that.

The mares joined him in the silence, Twilight reaching out her hoof to him, but failing to come up with the right words. Rainbow sat indifferently as far from Twilight as possible, thinking over what Steve had said, flinching as everypony had when the doors at the cathedral’s exit opened.

Spinning around, the ponies and Spike watched as their friend Natasha Romanoff approached down the aisle. Noticing them, Steve turned around too, seeing as Natasha stopped just feet from, standing on the opposite side of the aisle. He stared at her for a moment, then looked back to the mares and Spike.

He wondered whether or not Natasha was there to comfort him, to tell him to sign for the Accords, or do something else. He wondered if he had given the mares enough or too little, or if they deserved to even know in the first place.

He wondered too much.

“When I came out of the ice,” Steve began, sharing several glances with the mares before facing Romanoff, “I thought everyone I had known was gone. Then I found out she was alive. I was just lucky to have her.”

Natasha eyed Peggy’s portrait, then smiled and faced Steve. “She had you back, too,” she told him, seeing as Steve nodded in agreement. She felt as if that would be the only thing he’d agree with for what she was about to say.

He beat her to it, asking, “Who else signed?”

Leaning back onto one of the benches, Natasha crossed her arms. She answered, “Tony, Rhodey, Vision.”

“Clint?” Steve asked.

Natasha smiled carefully. “Says he’s retired.”

Pinkie’s ears fell at that announcement. Steve continued, asking, “Wanda?”

“TBD.”

To be determined, Steve thought, looking down. Natasha could see the break in his expression, the loss of life in his eyes. He had been through so much, lost so many. She knew what his decisions were and what he stood for. She knew she could never convince him to do what the others had, she was mostly there for the girls and Spike.

Still, might as well try.

“I’m off to Vienna for the signing of the Accords,” Natasha said, seeing him deflate slightly more. “There’s plenty of room on the jet.”

He sighed, and said nothing more. Natasha almost deflated just as he had. Instead, she remained strong, confident, and added, “Just because it’s the path of least resistance doesn’t mean it’s the wrong path. Staying together is more important than how we stay together.”

Natasha slowly stepped forward, looking Steve in the eye when she said it, trying her damnedest to be sincere. At the end of the bench the mares sat upon, Rainbow Dash looked away. Her ears perked up, however, when Steve replied, “What are we giving up to do it?”

Natasha didn’t reply. She couldn’t seem to. Steve shook his head again, and said, “I’m sorry, Nat. I can’t sign it.”

Biting her lip, she nodded. “I know.”

Steve picked up his gaze, staring at the woman merely inches from him. He studied her facial features, the uncertainty in her eyes. He asked, “Then what are you doing here?”

“Paying my respects, looking for you… and them,” she replied, leaning over slightly, smiling to the group of eight sitting behind the Captain. Sighing, she straightened up, looked at Steve, and said, “I… didn’t want you to be alone, but I can see you never were.”

Despite her words of comfort, Steve hardly felt any better. Even as Natasha wrapped her arms around him, sealing the gap between them and bringing him in for a warm hug, the constant barrage of idealistic choices flooded his mind, compared alongside with the pain of loss. He still gave her a strong hug in return.

As the two separated, Natasha patted Rogers’ shoulder, saying, “I’ll see you later, Steve.” He nodded to her, looking down as she began to make her exit. But before she did, Natasha looked over behind Steve and said, “Twilight, Starlight, let’s head out. It’s time. “

Nodding, both Twilight and Starlight hopped off the bench in unison. Once they entered the aisle, Twilight looked back to the remainder of her friends, some staring at her quizzically, others simply waiting for an explanation.

Twilight managed a weak, but confident smile. “We’ll be back, girls,” she said, Starlight nodding. The two looked up to Romanoff, nodded to her, then began to make their exit from the cathedral. However, a familiar voice caught them off-guard, causing all three to stop in their tracks.

“You’re really going through with this, huh?” Rainbow Dash asked, watching as all three of them spun around to her.

Twilight could see the uncertainty in each of her friends’ eyes, but she mostly saw the disappoint in Rainbow’s. Furrowing her brow, Twilight said, “It’s not what you think, Rainbow. It’s… well… We need to take responsibility for our actions.”

“What happened wasn’t your fault,” Fluttershy began, being quickly interrupted by Starlight.

“But it was mine!” the unicorn stated rather loudly, no one else present in the cathedral for her to be too quiet. Everypony shot their surprised looks over to Starlight, even Steve managing to turn her way. Starlight didn’t back down from the multiple glances. She said, “I could have prevented what had happened, I could have done something else… and still…”

She looked away. Natasha picked up her gaze, eyeing the mares and Spike carefully as she said, “It’s your choice. If you don’t want to, I’ll have a flight set up to take you back to the facility. Just wait outside.”

The ponies took the moment to turn to each other, see who would side with who. Applejack just rolled her eyes at the continued silence, straightening her hat and hopping out of her seat. “Yeah, Ah think Ah’ve had enough of politics for a while. Ah’ll see y’all later back at the facility.”

Rarity followed almost instantly, saying, “I, as well. Traveling recently has been absolutely dreadful. It would be nice to relax for a bit.”

Natasha nodded, turning her eyes to Fluttershy and Pinkie. They whispered to one another, eventually nodding in agreement. “We’ll head back to the facility, too,” Fluttershy answered, Pinkie smiling at that as the two hopped off the bench.

Twilight watched as each one of her friends chose to head back, walking passed her and exiting the cathedral. She eyed Fluttershy and Pinkie, almost oblivious to the young drake waddling by. “Spike,” she spoke up, causing the dragon to pause for her, “you don’t want to come to Vienna?”

His shoulders momentarily relaxed. He spun to face her, almost forcing a smile as he said, “Um… No, no thanks, Twilight. I’m… I’m kinda with AJ on this one.”

Noticing the excuse and its forcefulness, Twilight simply sighed and waved it away. Spike was young. He probably didn’t care much for politics anyway. She said, “Okay, I guess I’ll see you back at the facility then.”

Opening her hoof out to him, Spike noticed the gestured and smiled slightly. He entered her embrace, hugging Twilight. “Bye, Twilight,” he said. The two broke away, Spike finally exiting the cathedral alongside the others. Twilight watched his tail disappear behind the door, a foreboding and mysterious pang of guilt striking her heart.

She kept it close, turning around. “Rainbow…?”

Unlike the others, Rainbow Dash just shook her head, rising out of her seat to hover in place. “Nah, I think I’ll just stick with the Captain for a little bit longer,” she answered, flying over to Steve and resting her foreleg on his shoulder. “He could use the company.”

They all seemed to come to that agreement. Though Twilight was disappointed to see that Rainbow once again disagreed with her and went down the other path, it wasn’t necessarily seen as the wrong path. It was her own. It was Rainbow’s path. Nodding to that, Twilight joined Starlight and Natasha as they all made their way to the doors, pushing them open and entering the outside world.

Rainbow watched as the doors closed, hearing, “You didn’t have to stay.”

She flew back, smiling to Steve. “Yeah… I just didn’t want you to get all weepy again behind our backs,” she laughed, punching his shoulder playfully. “Might as well make sure, right?”

For the first time that awful day, Steve actually smiled.

PreviousChapters Next