• Published 19th Nov 2016
  • 6,264 Views, 1,704 Comments

This War of Ours - JDPrime22



Two sides of good clashing together, fighting for what they believe is right, breaking partnerships and ending friendships… human and pony alike.

  • ...
9
 1,704
 6,264

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 12 - One Month Later

One Month Later

Upstate New York

New Avengers Facility, Hallways

3:15 p.m.



He couldn’t believe it had already been a month since Lagos. It felt like only yesterday he had stepped out of the Avengers Quinjet and saw them battered, bruised, shaken to the core, but well alive. All alive. In victory, and with Twilight in the hooves of her best friends. All safe.

Then he saw the burning building, the grim expressions from everypony, everyone, Starlight and Wanda especially. He hadn’t known what had happened, at least not yet. After the rundown from Rogers, he could understand, and couldn’t believe half of it. How Starlight, such a talented, strong, and powerful unicorn had experienced such horrors, and whether or not it was her fault.

Stark couldn’t fathom what Wanda must have been going through.

But they were safe. Through the storm, they found their calming waves. Twilight’s system was cleaned of the drugs, she was given time to recover with friends, relaxation, and long, long days trying to ignore the press and focus on personal matters. In just a couple weeks, Twilight Sparkle everyone had known and loved was feeling as right as rain. Every now and then Stark would see that smile grace her features, the same smile he had grown accustom to.

Things really began to calm down after that. Threats from any other terrorist were nonexistent. Every news station in America was filled to the brim with material, what with the attack in Washington, the devastation at Lagos, and what the Avengers planned to respond with. The Avengers hardly did. Once Stark had left, Steve had said that everything would be figured out soon. He prayed, at least. Stark wished he still could.

It had been roughly a week since he’d spoken with them, any of them. His trip to MIT a couple weeks back hadn’t ended as well as he had wished. He had left that university a little more broken than he had arrived. He had tried to take his mind off the Avengers, off all the work he had done in the past, off everything. And yet he was still reminded again and again.

Sokovia. The men, women, and children who’d lost their lives. Pepper.

All because of him.

But then again, those times were behind them. Those were the calming waves. It wouldn’t be long before the remainder of that storm followed through. And it did. Their special guest for the evening, the Secretary of State, wished to speak with them concerning the events of Lagos.

Concerning everything.

Another headache began to form in his skull the moment Stark had reached the guest room where Twilight was. Nopony else were in any of their respective rooms, and they weren’t present in the conference room where they were meeting, or any of the other conference rooms for that matter. It all narrowed down to the last room he hadn’t checked. The hushed whispers from within were also a defining indicator.

He knocked twice, heard a faint “come in”, then opened the door.

There they were. Twilight and Starlight rested on the bed, Applejack, Rarity, Pinkie, Fluttershy, and Spike surrounding them on the carpet. Rainbow Dash, naturally, hovered above all of her friends, her eyes turning to the man entering the room.

It may have been a week or two since he had seen them, and they hadn’t changed much. Same defining qualities, stressed Twilight with comforting friends assuring her of the easement they’d face as long as they were together. All that jazz.

Tony sighed, pointing behind him. “It’s been a long day, girls, for all of this. Let’s get whatever we’ve got to do over with. The sooner we do… the sooner he leaves.”

He couldn’t have made it any more hopeful for them. As if they had been sent to their death, each of their mares offered their own goodbye to the disgruntled princess and her equally worried student. They turned around, and in an orderly fashion, exited the guest room. Leading them was Applejack, followed by Rainbow Dash, then Rarity, Pinkie, Fluttershy, and Spike.

Tony stuck his head back and watched them walk down the hall. “Find Rogers!” he called, some turning their heads back. “He’ll tell you where to go!”

He saw them nod and continue on their way. Not a word. He didn’t expect any.

Instead, Stark brought his attention back into the poorly-lit room, back to the two mares who had yet to make some form of movement. He didn’t blame them. Long, hard day, pressures from the media and the U.S. government, constant reminders of past mistakes, all coming down to what the Secretary of State had to say about it.

It sucked, it really did. Still, they had to do it.

Twilight laid her hoof gently on Starlight’s shoulder, the unicorn trying desperately to regulate her breathing. She had been dreading this day ever since Lagos, where her mistakes were finally going to come back and bite her. Oh, Celestia, she deserved it. She deserved every bit of it. So many innocent people dead because of her foolish decision-making. She wouldn’t blame the Secretary of State to warrant for her arrest the moment she stepped in that conference room.

Twilight’s hoof pressed harder onto her shoulder. Starlight closed her eyes.

“Come on…” Twilight whispered to her. Tony leaned against the doorframe, crossing his arms. Starlight didn’t move, her breathing increasing. Twilight pressed on. “We face it together,” she finished.

After a moment between the two, Starlight eventually gave in, nodding. She hopped off the bed and slowly made her way to the exit. Behind her, Twilight said, “I’ll meet you shortly, Starlight.”

Starlight nodded back to her, stopping just by the exit right where Stark stood. She glanced at him. Tony stared at Twilight, but asking Starlight, “You doing alright?”

No sass. No snarky attitude. Just a simple question. Starlight exhaled greatly, something she had learned from Twilight, and said, “I’m… I’m fine. I’m just… How am I going to go about this?” Tony looked at her. “Are they going to address what I did?”

“They’re gonna address a lot of things,” Tony answered.

Starlight looked away, blinking hard. “Do… Do I tell them that it was a mistake? I-I tried to hold it, I really did! If we didn’t get rid of the bomb it would’ve killed Steve, Rainbow, all of those civilians!” She sighed. “I guess it doesn’t matter. People would have died regardless of what happened… because of me.”

“Hey, look at me,” Tony sternly stated, stepping forward from the doorframe to stand closer to Starlight. The unicorn obeyed, a terrified quiver in her eyes, an uncertain expression etched in her face. Stark pointed at her, saying, “None of that was your fault. You had little to no control over what happened, you were thrust into a situation where you had to act on instinct, and you did what you did to protect your friends.”

“But… people still died—!”

“Do not put that guilt on you,” Tony growled, causing Starlight to back away. He relaxed, closed his eyes, and exhaled gently through his nose. Rough at first, then slow and steady. “You had no idea people were in that building, neither did Wanda. You’re gonna tell them that, apologize for everything that had happened, and tell them you were only looking out for the Captain and your friend. Okay?”

She absorbed his words carefully, staring at the floor. Eventually, she nodded, looking back to meet Stark’s gaze. He nodded too, holding his hand out to the hall. “Speaking of which, go on and find Cap. He’ll tell you where to go.”

“Alright.”

“We’ll meet you there, Star,” Tony called to the unicorn. She didn’t respond, nor did she look back. Stark stared at her a moment longer before he retreated into the guest room, right where Twilight still sat.

She seemed fine. Shaken, but still capable. Though her mane was a tad in shambles despite Rarity’s earlier attempts to fix her up, the Alicorn didn’t seem to mind. Stark didn’t either. He sat right next to her, clapping his hands once before letting them fall between his legs. Twilight didn’t move. She stared on ahead, barely breathing.

Barely doing much of anything.

“How you holding up?” Tony asked.

Small talk was good. Always good. Twilight shook her head. “I should’ve jumped off that stage.”

Tony leaned his neck back, fully facing the princess. She continued. “I should’ve found my friends before the tear gas swarmed the crowd. I should’ve stayed with them. I should’ve done a lot of things. So much could have been prevented if I just…”

She stopped talking after that. Stark nodded. “I should’ve stopped them from taking you,” he added, breaking the silence, “but I didn’t. I messed up. I didn’t react in time, and I paid for it.”

Twilight looked to her hooves, then back to the floor. She muttered, “It’s not Starlight’s fault. I try to keep telling her that.”

“I know.”

“It’s my fault.”

Tony blinked, kept his gaze locked on the Alicorn. “Twi—” he began.

“All those people dead… because of Rumlow and what he wanted,” Twilight interrupted, prompting Stark’s silence. She shook her head, then finally turned to face him. “Do you know what he wanted? He wanted me.”

She sighed, facing away again. She could feel Stark’s eyes peering into her. “I could remember waking up the first time. I could barely see in that dark warehouse, but I could hear. Clearly. Seeing them… those animals actually cheer and celebrate over what they did in Washington. I tried to fight back, I tried to do anything, really, but my body wouldn’t let me. The tranquilizer was still fresh in my system. Next thing I know they’re injecting me again, Cross... Rumlow actually saying everything was going to be alright.”

She actually exhaled, almost making it seem like a scoff. “For him, he said.”

“It’s not your fault.”

“Really?” Twilight asked, her voice cracking. She spun fully to face him head-on, now visibly crying. “He threatened the lives of so many innocent people—my friends being a few of them—he killed over a hundred, and all of it just to get to me. Washington, Lagos, and who knows how many other places he would’ve struck if he still had…”

Her hooves were pressed against her chest, right over her heart. They slowly fell to the bed, her eyes doing the same. Stark watched her, watched as she wept and mourned. He watched until he couldn’t any longer. He grabbed the bottom of her chin, gently but sternly, and brought her eyes back up to meet his.

He said, “You were a hostage, Twilight. I don’t know if you have hostage situations that much in Equestria, but here on Earth that crap happens every other day. And it is never… ever… the victim’s fault.”

Stark broke away after that, standing up off the bed. Twilight followed him with her eyes, her foreleg rising to wipe each one. Tony rubbed his face, mumbling something to himself. He turned to her and said, “Look… what happened in Washington or Lagos is something we can’t change. We’re gonna have to pay for it one way or another. This is life, Twi. It doesn’t matter if we’re on Earth, Equestria, Asgard, or some other godforsaken dimension.”

Twilight looked away, sniffing loudly, rubbing her nose. Tony shook his head. “We make mistakes, and they come back to bite us in the ass. And honestly… this affects the Avengers more than you or your friends.”

Whether that statement was meant to ease her worries or do something else, Twilight hadn’t acknowledged it well. After a short pause, she sighed, and said, “I just… I just hoped… Earth would be different.”

“I’d be lying if I said I hadn’t hoped for the same thing.” Twilight looked to him, saw him offer some kind of smile. She saw it crumble. “But there’s always evil, Twilight. No matter how many miles you’re away from home, no matter how much you believe you left it all behind. Humanity has done some pretty shitty things for as long as we’ve been alive, and yet we haven’t blown ourselves up. So, don’t lose hope… at least not yet.”

After breathing in the man’s words, Twilight stopped, then thought twice about what he said. “What do you mean by that?” Twilight asked.

Stark looked down, his hands falling into his pockets. He sighed. Kind of defeated, kind of worn. A little of both. He said, “While Lagos was mainly an Avengers mission… your friends were still involved. Let’s just say the Secretary of State, Thaddeus Ross, has been eager to speak with Steve, Wanda… and your student on what exactly happened.”

He stepped aside from the exit. Twilight sighed alongside him. Kind of defeated, mostly worn. She approached and exited her room. “That’s what I’ve been afraid of.”

Tony closed the door behind her. “You and me both.”

PreviousChapters Next