• Published 1st Jul 2012
  • 9,987 Views, 414 Comments

Pinkie Pie, Psychologest - Masterweaver



Psychology and Pinkie Pie! Two wonderful things, ONE AMAZING SERIES! Stay tuned for shenanigans!

  • ...
16
 414
 9,987

A Matter of Monetary Meagerness

The day started like any other, with stretches, smiles, and silliness. Well, after all, that's what the Cake twins expected from their semi-half-adopted sister-cousin-friend, and that's what she gave them; regularity was an important part of a foal's development at this point, something she knew all too well. After ensuring they were ready for the day (and ensuring that Pound Cake had a clean diaper), she descended the stairs and prepped the ovens, starting the first batch of display muffins. Today was going to be superlifabulostastic! She had no idea what that meant but it had to be a positive.

"Pinkie Pie?" Carrot Cake wandered down the stairs, smiling as the apprentice baker set up cake ingredients. "Wow. Up and around already. How do you do it?"

The party pony giggled. "I just wake up and OHMYGOSH I FORGOT TO FEED GUMMY!" She zoomed up the stairs.

Carrot glanced at the ovens.

Ten seconds later, Pinkie reappeared, none the worse for the wear. "Kay that's done. Anyway so I'm planning a party for Rainbow Dash on thursday and I looked at my saved up stock and I realized I don't have enough party supplies to load up the party cannon properly so I'm going to need to go shopping but I'm almost out of bits so I was kinda hoping maybe you could give me my pay for the month just a teensy bit early?"

The stallion looked into the quivering blue eyes. He had suspected this day would come soon, and now... now he had to steel himself. "Pinkie... you already got paid in advance. Last week."

"Oh. Okay, how about--"

"For next month. You've got this month and next month's pay." He sighed. "I can't let you have any more money until next month is over, you see, it'd be bad for business."

"...Oh..."

It was rare to see Pinkie saddened, but it wasn't unheard of. The fact that her mane deflated, though, was more then enough to make Carrot Cake worry. If he didn't act swiftly... well, he didn't know what would happen. "...Maaaaybe you could, um, take up some extra work? I know you have plenty of spare time...."

"Yeah, but where would I go? I mean I'm all bouncy and nonsensical and random and most ponies that hire aren't looking for that."

"Now that's not the way to look at things. Think about your talents, not your weaknesses."

Pinkie gave Carrot Cake a deadpan stare. "My special talent is partying. Look where I am now."

"Not what I meant. Your special talent is not your only talent. Why..." he floundered for a moment, before smiling in epiphany. "You reorganized all the cupboards! And you also made all those things you use, the gyrocopter and party cannon. An inventor and an organizer. What about that, eh?"

Pinkie Blinked, a smile starting to spread across her face as her mane poofed up again. "Really? You think that those are good things about me?"

"I know it. All you have to do is find somepony willing to pay for those and you're set!"

"Yeah. Yeah! I can just wander around town and organizes and invent and... oh, but I use my party budget to invent. And organizing isn't really something ponies want to pay for, you know, especially from me. They see me and only see the silly filly who eats ten cakes at a time--"

"Okay, so maybe those aren't marketable. But you see my point. Maybe you have some other talent that can help you find spare bits!" The stallion put a friendly hoof on her shoulder. "You're full of surprises, Pinkie Pie, and I'm certain one of those surprises can help you out here."

"Okay, if you say so!" Pinkie bounded up suddenly, running to the ovens and peering over them with a practiced eye. "But I promise not to do anything about it until after my shift is over okay? Can't be doing things that be taking time from the ovens! Dangerous."

Carrot Cake chuckled, walking over to his own station and giving the cake pans a once over. "That's good to hear. We need a double-decker marbled for an out-of-town order. Apparently some Canterlot pony heard about us and wanted to have our cake for his dance party."

"Oki-doki-loki! I'm on it!"

***

"You want me to help you write a resúme." Twilight Sparkle shook her head. "Okay, why?"

Pinkie Pie rolled her eyes. "Isn't it obvious? I want to get another job, duh! You of all ponies I would have expected to get that because of your deductive reasoning and book smarts although I guess you haven't actually had a job because you were always supported by your parent and the princess as a student well unless you count being a librarian which for you is more of a hobby since not a lot of ponies in this town come here anymore which I always found really weird you know seeing as this is a library maybe they're just scared of you or something not that you're scary--"

"PINKIE!"

"Yes Twilight?"

The purple unicorn breathed in, calming herself. "What I meant to ask is why would you want another job? And I've done real work before, by the way, Shining Armor always had trouble properly filing reports."

"Haha! Paperwork!"

Twilight glowered at her. "I was five."

"...Okay, that is kinda impressive." Pinkie shrugged. "I just need some more bits, the Cakes are getting to the point where they can't pay me enough to support my lifestyle. But I haven't actually had an interview ever ever and I was thinking maybe you could tell me where I should be starting!"

"Wait, you haven't had an interview in your whole life? How did you get a job a Sugarcube corner without an interview?"

An unusually somber expression conquered the pink features as the pony let her eyes drift to the floor. "It's a long and sordid story, Twilight Sparkle. I have no wish to discuss it."

The academician stared in shock, completely unprepared for this reaction. Seeing Pinkie Pie serious, using serious words... she backed up a bit, awkwardly floundering around for some way to cheer her friend up. "...oh, um, I didn't... um, I mean, I guess that's okay? I was just curious."

"Of course you were silly filly! You are a QUESTIONING pony, and questions are things that need answers!" Pinkie bounced up to Twilight, regaining her trademarked smile. "But don't you worry your silly willy little head over it at all! Auntie Pinkie has forgiven you already!"

"Auntie Pinkie?" Twilight raised an amused eyebrow.

"I am a year older then you," Pinkie pointed out.

"Toúche." Twilight grabbed a pen and paper with her magic. "Alright. So... let's start with your education. Did you complete elementary?"

"I was homeschooled, but I did finish all my classes before I left home!"

A raised eyebrow from the unicorn. "Okay, that makes sense... do you have any higher education?"

"Yeppers! I have a theatre and literary degree, a bachelorette's in psychology, some on and off hooves-on experiment with mechanics--"

"Wait, wait wait. You have a degree in psychology?" Twilight lowered the paper. "You're kidding me, right?"

"Um, no. Oh oh oh! Wait right here I'll be right back!"

The librarian watched in bemusement as the pink blur disappeared, silently counting down the time it took for her to return.

"Ta-dah! Here it is!"

"Thirty-three seconds...." Twilight peered at the document in Pinkie's hooves. Her eyes ran over it five times. "...Wow. Oh my gosh, you weren't kidding... Why didn't you tell me you went to the Manehattan university?"

"You never asked, silly!"

"Pinkie, do you realize what this means?" Twilight stared at her friend in awe. "You have a degree! That means a lot! You could, could, open an office and anypony that wanted to could you know, get help!"

"Help?" The party pony hid her degree. "Oh, nonono. I wouldn't EVER use my powers to brainwash ponies! Nevereverever!"

"No, I'm not saying that. Look, maybe it takes an outsider view, but a lot of the ponies in this town have serious problems. I could pull the right paperwork, and all you'd have to do is talk to them about it. I'm pretty sure that's how it works, anyway." Twilight wrapped a hoof around Pinkie's shoulder, pointing into the distance. "Think about it. Ponies that had always felt a little bit off, a little bit wrong, and suddenly they learn how to see themselves in a new light. All because of you!"

"You mean by dealing with their demons, I can make them smile?"

"YES! Yes, that's it, exactly!"

"Hmmmm." Pinkie rubbed her chin thoughtfully. "Yes. Yes! This could work! I'd need a place to talk to ponies--no, I wouldn't, I'd keep it at home where they'll be comfortable, and I can be super sneaky when I want to be so nopony ever has to know that that pony needed help!"

"That's ingenious! All you'd really need is a public mailbox that takes anonymous letters! And advertising!" Twilight rushed off to her desk, pulling a fresh sheet of paper out. "'Pinkie Pie, Psychologist."

"Psychologest."

The unicorn paused. "Er... what?"

"With an E." Pinkie walked up and pointed at the paper. "Deliberate misspellings are silly, and ponies see me as silly. I have to build on my reputation, or nopony will take me seriously."

"What?"

"Trust me Twilight. I've advertised enough parties that I know how to get ponies' attention. Psychologest."

After a moment, the unicorn shrugged, finishing her penstroke with a flourish. "Alright, you're the entrepreneur. Here." She cast a laminating spell and handed Pinkie the paper. "Your business card. Now just let me head to town hall and file the paperwork, and you'll be all set!"

"Thanks Twilight!" The pink pony wrapped her in a hug. "You're so superlifabulostastic!"