• Published 29th Dec 2016
  • 1,220 Views, 28 Comments

Broken Guardian - Battlecat



Jade Storm was one of the guards assigned to the town hall for the 1000th Summer Sun Celebration. It felt like it would be a great opportunity but it turned out to be the beginning of a nightmare.

  • ...
5
 28
 1,220

Chapter 1 - Summer Sun

I flipped the page of the latest Daring Do novel with my wing as the train rumbled down the tracks towards Ponyville and the Summer Sun celebration. The other guard members on the train were trading dirty jokes or playing cards. For me, this was a welcome opportunity to relax and chill out a bit. I had barely had a chance to catch my breath since I graduated from the academy. I was the top student in my class, so I was immediately posted to the royal guard. I had finally achieved my dream and years earlier than I had expected.

Unfortunately, the past two months since joining the guard hadn’t been the ideal I hoped for. My sleep schedule had suffered since I was constantly being reassigned from post to post by the squad commander. I had been posted to day shift, night shifts, and split shifts. The broken schedule meant I spent most of my time off sleeping trying to catch up. Preparation for the Summer Sun celebration had resulted in more consistent schedules for the past three days but I was still behind.

“Heads up bookworm!”

I looked up just in time for a ball of paper to bounce off my muzzle. I glared at the other guards who were laughing at me.

“Are you ever going to get tired of that?” I asked.

“Of course not,” said one guard. “It’s our duty to make sure every wannabe is on task.”

“Get your head in the game nob or you’re never going to last as a royal guard,” added another one.

I sighed and turned back to my book as another ball of paper bounced off my head. I had hoped the hazing would wind down but it felt like it was getting worse rather than better. I wondered if there was a relationship between the duration of pranks against new recruits and that recruit’s background. If there is, I really drew the short straw. Thank Celestia they don’t know exactly who my family is. If they did I would never escape from this frustrating treatment. It's not like most of my family would even lift a hoof to help me.

My dear older brother was the only pony who cared about my fate and he quietly stepped in to help me afford tuition. He made sure I was able to accomplish my goal of becoming a royal guard at his own expense. It wasn't anything they couldn't afford but it was far beyond my limited funds as the odd pony out. I did my very best to make him proud and he rooted for me all the way even as father lashed out with insults and derision right until his dying breath. Seeing the look of pride on my brother's face when I was announced as the top recruit of the year was all the reward I felt I needed.

The train shook as the brakes engaged. I felt us starting to slow down so I shoved my book back into my bulging saddlebags and checked myself over. My fur and wings were immaculate white, my armor was well shined and I wasn’t missing any pieces. The glamor enchantment was working as always and everything was in perfect order, exactly as a Royal Guard should be.

Sergeant Iron Axe marched in and shouted: “On your feet soldiers!”

We all jumped on to our hooves. When the sergeant gave an order you obeyed or you would pay the price. He paced down the train car looking over the soldiers. He paused in front of me and looked me over from top to bottom trying to find a hair out of place. Iron Axe's perpetually annoyed expression became downright angry before he turned away and began his briefing.

“As you all know, our unit has been given the honor of being Princess Celestia’s guard for the Summer Sun Celebration. Three soldiers and the unit leader are to be present in the main ceremony chamber while the rest secure the town. Many years ago, Princess Celestia in her wisdom mandated that the three soldiers for the ceremony were to be chosen randomly to prevent favoritism by command staff. As a result of this year's draw, Corporal Fancy Metal, Private Wild Ace, and Private Jade Storm are to report to the town hall with me as the ceremonial guard. The rest of you know how to secure a town, so hop to it.”

I felt my heart leap with excitement. I'm Private Jade Storm and I was going to be part of Celestia’s ceremonial guard at the Summer Sun Celebration. It took all my training to keep from squealing with excitement at the opportunity. Outside I presented a stoic but satisfied face as I trotted forward to join the other honor guard members. I hardly noticed the irate looks on the faces of the other soldiers on the train.

I followed Sergeant Iron Axe out and got my first look at the town Ponyville. The sun was just setting and cast a warm orange glow over everything. Thatched wooden homes, grass and dirt roads and what looked like an open air market. I could even see a massive oak tree over on the far side of town that seemed to have a balcony on top of it. It was a picturesque location and a far cry from the stone of Canterlot.

I didn’t have much time to take in the sights though. Iron Axe marched us straight into the town hall. A gorgeous white unicorn mare with three diamonds for a cutie mark was doing some final touch ups to the decorations. She looked over in our direction and smiled warmly.

“Hello gentlecolts! Don’t mind me. I will be finished in just a moment” she said as she used her telekinesis to tie off the ribbons.

Iron Axe nodded at her and then turned to us. “Your instructions for the ceremony are quite simple, even a witless moron should be able to accomplish them. Stand at ease beside your assigned pillar. When the princess walks out, come to attention. Stay there until Celestia finishes her speech and salute as she leaves. She may have further orders for us but that is all for now. Storm! You are on duty guarding the town hall until relieved. Metal and Ace, you are with me!”

I marched over to my assigned pillar, folded my wings and stood at ease. I watched my fellow soldiers walk out without another word. The white mare looked at me curiously.

“As if anypony would dare disrupt Celestia’s celebration” she muttered to herself. She looked over at me. “Hello, my name is Rarity Belle and I am in charge of decorations for the festival. What is your name sir?”

There are rules a royal guard must follow when on duty. Among them, I am not permitted to speak to civilians unless I am giving orders. I must maintain a stoic face and not acknowledge anypony other than the princess or an intruder. I was only two months in and Iron Axe was always watching to see if I made any errors. I couldn’t afford to make a mistake today, even though it meant ignoring a lovely mare. I maintained my position and stared straight forward.

Rarity watched me with a warm welcoming smile. Her smile quickly faded in the face of my stoic lack of response and her expression finally dissolved into an irritated frown.

“Very well, if that's how you feel, I will be on my way,” Rarity growled. Then she flipped her hair over her shoulder and walked out of the town hall.

I kept my frustration inside though. Sure I was nearly unrecognizable except for my rank insignia but I still felt horrible as I watched her trot out the door.

Curse Iron Axe to Tartarus! Why am I even on duty?


Two Hours Later:

Wow, that sounds like a fun party the town is having. I wonder if my squad is there. I wonder if my relief is going to show up anytime soon.

4 Hours Later:

Thank Celestia I am permitted to do a marching patrol of the assigned space at my discretion. I’d probably collapse if I had to stand still this entire time. I just need to ignore my grumbling stomach and how tired I’m feeling.

Six Hours Later:

. . . 8 x 8 is 64, 9 x9 is 81, 10 x 10 is 100, 11 x11 is 121, 12 x 12 is 144. 13 x 13 is 169 . . .

Seven Hours Later:

. . . 1241 x 1241 is let me see. Row 1 1241. Row 2 is 0, 4 x 1 is 4, 4 x 4 is 6, carry the 1 . . .

Seven Hours and ten minutes later:

. . . then adding up the four rows gives 1241 x 1241 is 1540081. Ok 1242 x 1242 . . .

Eight Hours later:

By the time eight hours had passed I was barely holding myself together between thirst and hunger. I’d had a rough time over the past two months since I got out of basic training, but this was by far the most painful experience I’d had yet. Eight hours on duty with no relief was an experience I never wanted to repeat. Still, I somehow managed to stay upright and awake by some miracle. It was a relief that the ceremony would begin soon.

Iron Axe, Fancy Metal, and Wild Ace pulled their helmets back on as they unsteadily walked back in ten minutes earlier without a word in my direction. I could smell the residue of alcohol as they walked past and they looked well rested and relaxed. I simply held my position as ordered rather than giving them the satisfaction of hearing me complain.

I watched the ponies of this diverse community walk in. I saw Rarity and a cute yellow Pegasus with pink hair walk up to the balcony. A rainbow maned Pegasus caught my eye; she looked like a fast flyer and her mane colors were striking. Then I had to choke down my surprise at the next to arrive. Every guard who spent any time in the palace on duty was required to recognize Twilight Sparkle. The standoffish purple unicorn and her dragon companion were also the responsibility of the royal guard. Our standing orders were to discretely guard her and grant her passage as if she was a princess herself. She was reclusive and antisocial. Seeing her outside of Canterlot was an incredible surprise.

I guess she must be here for the celebration as well. I wonder why she looks so worried. She’s acting like somepony is going to jump out and attack her. Sweet Celestia, I am so hungry. And tired. And thirsty.

“ . . . . bringer of harmony to all of Equestria, Princess Celestia!” announced the town’s Mayor, startling me out of his thoughts. I had almost zoned out but Celestia’s name brought me back into focus. I prepared to come to attention when my cue came. Rarity pulled on a rope and the drapes opened revealing an empty balcony.

Any time now princess. The sooner you get out here the sooner I can get breakfast and sleep.

“Remain calm everypony,” said the mayor, “There must be a reasonable explanation!”

“Oooh ooh, I love guessing games! Is she hiding?” said a pink pony with puffy hair while everpony else was starting to mutter with increasing concern.

“She’s gone!” Rarity called out from the balcony.

The crowd gasped with horror at the revelation and then gasped again when a cloud of black smoke coalesced on the balcony, taking the form a tall black Alicorn. There were only two of them in Equestria so I had a bad feeling about this. I silently cursed the fact that I was unarmed.

“Oh my beloved subjects.” said the Alicorn in loud voice “It’s been so long since I’ve seen your precious little sun-loving faces.”

The rainbow maned Pegasus jumped up “What did you do with our Princess?!” she yelled, trying to take flight, only to be stopped by an orange pony grabbing her tail.

I watched the event unfold as the crazy pink mare bantered with the apparently insane, cat-eyed princess who was dripping with dark magic. Her eyes were glowing with darkness.

What is going on?

“You’re the Mare in the Moon – Nightmare Moon!” declared Twilight confidently.

Impressive confidence, I didn’t know she had it in her. Wait what was that she said?

I looked up at the sky and saw the clean white moon, without the silhouette that had been there all my life. The fur across my back was prickling with fear as I realized the child’s tales were true.

“Remember this day little ponies, for it was your last. From this moment forth, the night will last forever!” said Nightmare Moon.

Ok, buck that. Enough standing around. Come on Iron Axe

“Seize her!” shouted the mayor “Only she knows where the Princess is!”

My fellow soldiers were quick off the mark. I was a bit slower off the mark thanks to my hunger and exhaustion. They charged in aggressively to try and tackle her.

“Stand back you foals!” Nightmare Moon shouted. She then cackled with laughter as she unleashed bolts of lightning at us. I wasn’t normally scared of lightning. My name wasn’t Jade Storm for nothing. I focused my weather magic on redirecting the lightning as it flowed through me. I could feel the energy shedding off me but I was too exhausted to ground the energy completely. I felt myself tumbling out of control and hit the ground.

Everything went black.


“Are you ok?”

I opened my eyes and blinked at the off center pair of yellow eyes that filled my vision. A cross-eyed gray Pegasus mare was looking down at me. She had a cup of water and a muffin which she passed to me as I sat up. I took both quickly and began to eat, speaking between mouthfuls.

“I think I am thank you” I grunted between bites. “I’m fairly experienced with lightning, thank Celestia but that was something different. What about the others?”

Her eyes swung in opposite directions as she thought. “The other three guards are out cold. Everypony else is trying to restore order in town.”

I got up on my hooves and looked myself over. No visible injuries. Iron Axe and the others were covered in blankets and were out cold.

“I guess it’s up to me then,” I said. “Where is the purple unicorn? Where did Twilight go? How long ago did she leave?”

The gray mare tapped her chin with her hoof. “I’m not sure, but she was staying in the library. It’s in the big tree on the far side of town. It has been about 40 minutes since Nightmare Moon showed up.”

I nodded and pointed a hoof at the unconscious form of Captain Iron Axe.

“Please make sure my fellow guards are cared for. When he wakes up, please inform Captain Iron Axe there that I’ve gone to provide backup to Twilight Sparkle.”

“I will!” she replied, lifting her hoof in an unsteady salute.

“Thank you. Stay safe.”

I galloped out the back door of the town hall, pausing to grab some more food and to strap on my arc blades and combat armor. There was no way I was going out unarmed. Arc blades was a light bladed metal covering strapped to my wings. In addition to being sharp, the runic inscriptions allowed me to use my weather magic to generate, focus and absorb lightning. Not all Pegasi could use them but I was extremely talented with lightning. I took off and flew towards the library. It was easy to spot. That beautiful old oak tree I spotted earlier had with windows and balconies. It was an impressive feat of plant care but one I would have to examine another day.

I dove through the open door and looked around. The library was empty but there were books on the floor everywhere. One book open in the middle of the table caught my eye and I started to read it out loud.

“There are six Elements of Harmony, but only five are known: Kindness, Laughter, Generosity, Honesty and Loyalty. The sixth is a complete mystery. It is said, the last known location of the five elements was in the ancient castle of the royal pony sisters. It is located in what is now the Everfree Forest.”

There was no doubt in my mind what I had to do as I let the book drop to the ground and burst out the front door. I took to the sky and began flying as quickly as I could towards the forest. The old castle in the forest came up several times during basic training. It was cited as an example of fortification design. I’d never heard about it belonging to royal sisters though; to my knowledge, Celestia and Cadance were aunt and niece, not sisters. I’d never heard anypony even mention Celestia having a sister. I skimmed along the forest canopy towards the castle. There was no way to know how much of a head start Twilight had so I had no time to waste. Flying over the Everfree Forest was dangerous due to the unstable wild magic but I had no choice if I was going to arrive in time help if I was needed.

The air over the forest was unstable but I made good time. I was rapidly approaching the castle when a burst of light caught my eyes. There was a large magical discharge up in one of the old rooms high in the structure. I dove down towards the building when some angry shouting caught my attention.

“Out of our way you bucking jerks! I already told you NO!” yelled a raspy mare’s voice.

“We are to stop you by any means necessary. You aren’t going anywhere.”

“Out of our way you ruffians!”

On the ruined stairs I could see three Pegasi wearing dark uniforms standing on a stairway. They reminded me of Wonderbolt uniforms but the design looked sinister. They were armed with archaic looking blades attached to their wings that were extended threateningly towards Rarity and four other mares that I had seen at the summer sun celebration. Twilight wasn't there but civilians were in trouble so I had only one choice. I adjusted my course and slammed to the ground between the two groups.

“I’ll take care of these three,” I yelled. “Take your friends and get moving Rarity!”

Rarity looked startled that I knew her name but nodded. One of the Pegasi tried to swing at the mares as they moved up the stairs, but I blocked it with my forehoof bracer and countered with a hoof to his face sending the dark colored Pegasus sprawling. I watched the five mares disappear up the stairs out of the corner of my eyes and hoped they knew what they were doing and would be safe.

The lead pegasi glared at me. “You would challenge the Shadowbolts you accursed sun lover? You shall be the next to fall to the power of Nightmare Moon!”

“Well, thanks for confirming I made the right choice,” I replied.

The leader charged me, trying to strike with her left blade while the other two took to the air. I blocked the strike and let the force of the impact propel me off the stairway into the air. I began charging my arc blades as I dove towards the ground to gain speed. I banked between two pillars and started a climb. I heard one of the Shadowbolts utter a curse as it dodged around the pillar behind me. I flipped over and unleashed a bolt of lightning into my pursuer. He was engulfed in arcing electricity and he tumbled out of the sky. I dove again and then banked upwards and began to flap hard to gain altitude. My wings felt like lead and I knew exhaustion was catching up with me fast.

A blur came diving towards me and I barely managed to raise my leaden hooves to block a strike at my neck from one of the Shadowbolts. I countered with a hoof to his face but he turned and bit me on the leg. I screamed in pain and slashed the thing in the head with a charged arc blade, sending it tumbling away trailing smoke. There were two puncture marks along with the regular tooth indentations. The damn things had fangs!

The blood was pounding in my ears as I tried to start ascending into the sky again but I didn’t even hear the next Shadowbolt coming. All I saw was a fast moving blur before I felt an incredible burst of pain in my left wing and was nearly blinded by a burst of lightning. One Shadowbolt had made a suicide charge directly into my arc blade. He was fatally injured by the impact on my wing but the damage was done. I heard my bones snap on impact. The dying pony thing tumbled away somehow still laughing maniacally through his injuries.

I fought to control descent with only one wing while the pain threatened to overwhelm me. The castle ruins loomed large in my vision as I tumbled out of the sky. I caught the air as best I could with my one good wing and managed to turn just enough to only clip the castle wall with my limp broken wing, sending another flash of pain through my body. I was on course towards the deep canyon around the castle and there was no time to change course. I tried to slow down as I fell into the canyon but in my exhaustion, I couldn’t make my wings work and I braced my legs for the upcoming impact.

I hit the ground at full speed and I dimly heard another snapping noise as my left foreleg caught the brunt of the landing. I lost control and tumbled across the canyon floor. I finally came to rest against the cliff face covered in cuts. My head was spinning as I tried to pull myself together. I struggled to stand up but exhaustion and hunger were finally too much combined with the pain coming from every part of my body.

The leader of the Shadowbolts landed right next to me. “That was pretty terrible,” she gloated. “If you’re all the Solar Guard has to offer our takeover of Equestria will be quite easy.”

Then she stomped on my good wing. I managed to stifle my scream as it snapped as well. I turned my head and looked up at her defiantly through the haze of pain.

“When the other guards get here, you're toast.”

The Shadowbolt burst out laughing. “Other guards! Don't make me laugh. There is nopony coming to save you!”

“I did my duty to the best of my ability,” I replied. “At least I protected those civilians.”

“Don’t make me laugh,” she cackled. “They are already dead as well you failure, crushed under the hooves of our glorious leader, Nightmare Moon. You only delayed the inevitable you fool.” Her wings began to crackle with black energy. “For challenging our authority and being a sun lover I sentence you to agony.”

No. I didn't fail. Did I?

The Shadowbolt unleashed a bolt of black lightning directly into my back between my wings. It was a particularly sensitive part of the Pegasus body. I opened my mouth to scream but no sound came forth. I couldn’t even focus my weather magic to disperse the attack. I couldn't control the lightning as it burned through my wings and across my body. I was writhing on the ground, barely able to think.

Please help me, Celestia. I don't want to die.

At that moment there was an explosion in the distance and the lightning stopped. I looked up confused and watched the blurring shape of the Shadowbolt leader dissolving in rainbow colored light. In mere moments she had become nothing but dust and vanished into the darkness. Then night grew silent and the dim sounds of animals and crickets greeted my ears. I closed my heavy eyes as the sounds of the night changed to the sound of singing birds greeting the long-delayed morning and a beam of sunlight briefly hit my broken body.

I began to fade away as the pain, exhaustion, and hunger finally took my consciousness. I spared one final thought as my awareness dissipated.

Thank you for sharing your sun once more before I die Celestia.

Author's Note:

Well here we go with yet another story. I'm releasing this one now to hopefully break my writers block on the other stories I'm working on. I’ve actually been fine tuning this one for a while and I think it’s time to commit and see what you all think! Jade Storm doesn't have an easy road ahead and this will be a bit harsher than my other stories although I don't believe I'm crossing the line into dark storytelling.

While the episodes will come into play, I intend to shuffle the order around a bit so it makes more sense and intersperse some original story as well. For example, running of the leaves coming after winter wrap up just doesn't work for me.

Thank you for reading.