• Published 17th Nov 2016
  • 4,428 Views, 3,106 Comments

The Mask Makes the Pony - kudzuhaiku



Flicker Nicker has joined the Rat Catcher's Guild. He's rather good at it, but wants to be better.

  • ...
28
 3,106
 4,428

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 68

The two would-be warriors gave each other wary glances while they held their swords at the ready. Moonlit’s face was a stone mask with no emotions visible, but his twitching ear gave him away. Flicker took this as a sign of fear, but the paranoid voice in the depths of his mind warned him that the twitching ear might be a ruse. Anything might be a ruse.

Neither of them seemed to be in a hurry to make the first strike, but kept circling each other, blades ready, eyes narrowed, their mouths pinched into tight grimaces. Flicker, for all of his seeming size, was a bit on the small side compared to Moonlit, who was taller by a head and a half. They had one thing in common though, both of them had bodies that appeared to be carved from granite.

When a foal joined the guild, they were puddles of cupcake batter, but this deplorable condition was sorted out in due time. The different masters of the guild all took different approaches; mental, physical, magic, but the end result was all the same. The sewers were dangerous, unforgiving places, and the training had to prepare them.

The crowd began to murmur, growing impatient. The purpose here was blood and pain, and thus far, not a single strike had been made. Some matches ended within moments of the bell being rung, others stretched on for a few minutes, but at least there was action. Flicker kept his sword tucked close to his head, while Moonlit held his out in a horizontal defensive pose.

Their styles mirrored their natures. Flicker’s position showed that he was ready to attack or defend, that he was open to either, while Moonlit’s pose showed that he was ready to defend. It was a reasonable stance to take, as Flicker was known for his overbearing, brutal aggression. It was strength and power versus speed and finesse. Both were valid, both were good, both were acceptable, but only one could win.

Much to everypony’s surprise, it was Moonlit who moved to make the first strike, and with a whirling blur attack, he launched a flurry of blows against Flicker. Put on the defensive, Flicker stepped back and parried, blocking each blow as it came in, and when an opportunity presented itself, he took a quick swipe at Moonlit, who sprang away.

“You’re faster than I expected,” Moonlit said while he squinted at Flicker.

Flicker had nothing witty to say and no reply, so he remained silent and focused upon the task at hoof; taking Gambit down with a good clean strike. He studied Moonlit, looking for signs, a sudden blinking of the eyes, tensing muscles, anything that might indicate a strike, all while trying to prevent his own body from giving him away.

“Mister Balister does not give you credit,” Moonlit continued with his sword raised, “and he goes on and on about how slow you are. You know, I think he slanders you, Mister Nicker. You might want a word with him at some point.”

This was distraction, and Flicker knew it. He kept his eyes on Moonlit and not on Mister Balister. It was time to test Moonlit’s defenses and see what the colt had. Flicker feinted left, appeared to slash right, and with practiced speed, he made a quick reversal back to the left, whipping the sword around, and striking out with the grip, using it like a hammer. It was a move that Doctor Sterling had taught him, and Flicker considered it one of his finest.

There was a loud cry from Moonlit, who was caught off guard and only just managed to bring his sword around to parry. Flicker’s halted blade was inches from his foreleg, and vivid, shimmering fear could be seen in Moonlit’s eyes when he realised that Flicker’s supposed slowness was either exaggerated by Mister Balister or an act of fakery by Flicker himself. The blow would have been bone shattering, had it connected.

Retreating, Flicker did not press his advantage, but drew himself back into a defensive crouch. Fear was eating into Moonlit’s confidence now. It was like drawing blood from a wound, and all Flicker had to do was wait for weakness to set in. Flicker, when necessary, had infinite patience, a by-product of his dense, slow-minded nature.

Flicker knew he was a scary bastard and he didn’t feel a need to boast about it.

Perhaps from desperation or motivated by fear, Moonlit launched a series of quick, fast strikes. Not strikes that would do any real harm, but they would give him points if any of them connected. Flicker retreated, mindful of tables, and parried anything that got to close. Moonlit didn’t have much power in his blows, just speed. While Moonlit might be able to break a leg on a strike, it was far more likely that he would have to go for more tender places, like the muzzle, to make a duel-ending strike.

Lashing out, Flicker slammed his wooden sword into Moonlit’s just to rattle him, and was rewarded by a thin trickle of blood dribbling from the colt’s nostril. It gave Flicker an idea, and Flicker wondered if just focusing on Moonlit’s sword was a feasible way to earn a win. Repeated hard strikes would cause devastating strain on Moonlit’s mind, and at some point, he would be weakened to the point of frailty. Then it was just a matter of a good finishing move.

Flicker saw the way ahead and how to win this match, but he knew that he had to be careful. He couldn’t just go on an all out offensive because Moonlit was faster than him by far, and was skilled with riposting. This was a plan that could backfire and Flicker knew it. A few more good, hard whacks might burn out Moonlit’s telekinesis, and Flicker felt it was worth the risk.

“Blood is drawn, but that doesn’t count as a strike!” Mister Balister hollered.

When Flicker lunged again, Moonlit made no move to defend himself, but ran away in rapid retreat. Flicker followed, playing the game, mindful of what might happen. Moonlit wasn’t just retreating, but running. Flicker bore down upon him, sword ready, and the crowd parted to get out of Moonlit’s way.

The colt hit the wall and ran halfway up it, then kicked out with his legs. Now soaring through the air, he twisted around to bring both his sword and body to bear. Flicker started to go right, feinting again, but then broke left and forward, keeping his sword overhead while Moonlit somersaulted above him. He wanted to take a swipe, to score a hit, but it did not seem wise because Moonlit had momentum and movement on his side. Already Moonlit’s sword was coming down in Flicker’s blind spots.

Flicker found himself on the defensive and was forced to parry several blows even as he was turning around to face Moonlit, who was now behind him. The colt had landed with a light clatter of hooves, and was now pressing his advantage against Flicker, who was struggling to parry the swift flurry of incoming blows.

None of the blows were hard, but they were fast. Flicker was having a hard time keeping up and even worse, it showed. Moonlit wasn’t as fast as Mister Balister, but he was fast enough to give Flicker some trouble. Moonlit was keeping Flicker’s sword engaged with short, fast parries, and not allowing Flicker to swing his blade in broad enough strokes to build up momentum.

Flicker’s power attack had been countered, somewhat, and he was forced to re-evaluate his plans.

Sensing danger, Flicker ducked his head and parried a stabbing blow, sweeping Moonlit’s blade aside as a wooden chair went flying through the same spot where his head had been just a fraction of a second ago. Anger gave Flicker strength, and he managed to give the startled Moonlit’s sword a hearty whack, rattling the colt’s brains once more. More blood dribbled and left scarlet droplets upon the stone floor.

“Dirty pool!” somepony shouted.

“That’s not a direct magical attack!” Mister Balister barked. “It’s a distraction, and I’ll allow it! Alicorns have mercy on your soul, Mister Gambit!” As he spoke, the crowd let out a roar.

“I’m sorry,” Moonlit whined, “I don’t know what came over me!”

Tit for tat. Reaching out with his mind, Flicker lifted one of the massive oaken tables. It was several hundred pounds of hard, unforgiving wood, but he lifted it without even straining. Saying nothing, he chucked it at Moonlit. Tit for tat. Fair was fair. The table soared through the air and Flicker gritted his teeth together and he prepared for whatever might come next.

“Oh fuck everything!” Moonlit cried as he lept into the air. He somehow managed to land on top of the table mid-flight and he fought to keep his balance as both he and the table flew through the air. The crowd scrambled out of the way, some screaming, and Moonlit jumped from the table just seconds before it crashed into the wall.

The table became a pile of scrap, but that was okay. There were repair spells.

A terrible, dreadful, horrendous grin appeared upon Flicker’s muzzle as he sent another table flying right at Moonlit. Several hundred pounds of wood sailed through the air with just a small flick of Flicker’s brutish magic, his dreadful flicking. Moonlit scrambled, running for his life, trying to put some distance between him and Flicker, but there was nowhere to go.

The mess hall was full of tables.

Flicker lifted another table, but didn’t throw it. He advanced, the the two yard long and one yard wide table held up before him like a shield. Moonlit made a futile effort and tossed a few chairs in Flicker’s direction, hurling them with all of the magical might he could muster, but they just bounced off the raised table. Moonlit whimpered as Flicker drew closer, and tried to figure out what to do next.

“I’m gonna break every bone in your body,” Flicker said, his voice a savage growl.

Scrambling away, Moonlit lept over tables and chairs on his way to get to the other side of the mess hall, trying to get away. Flicker had changed his direction and continued his slow, steady march, blocking any chairs that were tossed at him. There was no hurry, time was on Flicker’s side and he knew it. He turtled down and kept his table-shield raised.

“It’s like watching the psycho slasher come walking for his victim!” somepony in the crowd shouted.

Hearing this, Moonlit gibbered in terror, knowing full well that the psycho slasher could not be stopped.

Brawn was about to be proven superiour. Still holding his table shield, Flicker lifted another table and chucked it at Moonlit’s head. The colt was forced to evade, and his hooves clattered over the floor. For a moment, Moonlit tried to stop the table with his magic, and the table had a brief, glittering glow, but his telekinesis wasn’t strong enough.

“Can’t we just go back to trying to kill each other with swords?” Moonlit asked, begging for a reprieve against Flicker’s table missiles.

“No!” Flicker barked and he launched another table at Moonlit. “Hold still and just take it, Moonlit! I’m gonna ram one of these tables right up your ass if you keep running around! I’m gonna ram this thing so far up your ass that you’re gonna be tasting furniture polish and spilled milk in the back of your throat when I’m done with you!”

The sound of Wicked’s booming, bellowing laughter filled the mess hall and was only interrupted for a brief moment by the sounds of crashing, splintering wood as the table struck the wall. Apprentices scrambled to get out of the way and Doctor Sterling raised a protective shield around himself, Piper, and Hennessy. But the three of them still moved just to be safe.

Flicker, who had pulled heavy farm equipment for most of his youth, could keep doing this all day long and he knew it. He wasn’t getting tired at all, but, he was wondering what he would do when he ran out of tables. The colt knew that he could throw a chair a whole lot harder than Moonlit and the mess hall was full of chairs. What to do when he was out of chairs?

Standing in the center of the room, Flicker kept his table-shield pointed at Moonlit, and he just waited, secure and safe, his sword held at the ready. Moonlit was cowering in the corner, ducked down behind the splintered, busted remains of a hurled table. The cowering colt had something that Flicker lacked.

Range and distance.

Scraps all around the room were levitated, and then hurled at Flicker from every side. Moonlit was careful to follow the rules, which stated that direct, applied attacks could only be made with a sword. He wasn’t holding them, no, he was throwing them, letting them go. Snarling, Flicker swung his table around in a broad sweep and used his sword to block as well, batting stray chair legs and table fragments out of the air.

More flack was incoming, keeping Flicker busy defending himself from chunks of wood and splinters. He somehow managed to hurl another table at Moonlit, and the colt had to scurry out of the way of the incoming missile, only to discover that a dozen chairs were now being lobbed at him. Moonlit shieked in terror, his voice shrill as he ducked and rolled beneath a table to avoid the incoming chairs.

Flicker lifted up the table that Moonlit had taken shelter beneath, flipped it over, and dropped it. Still shrieking in mortal terror, Moonlit crawled away on his belly, his hooves scraping over the floor, and the table came down where he had been just an eyeblink before, crashing down with a terrific whomp.

A bell rang and Mister Balister’s voice filled the mess hall. “STOP!”

Sword and table-shield still held at the ready, Flicker obeyed.

“Ten minutes have passed! Ten whole minutes! Our rules state that the maximum allotted time for a duel is ten minutes, no more, no less!” Mister Balister’s eyes narrowed. “At the end of ten minutes, direct strikes are to be added up and a winner declared!” His eyes went wide, slow as the rising sun, and his head turned from side to side as he looked at both of the colts. “This has never happened before in our guild history! A ten minute long duel with no scorable hits!”

“Who won?” Piper asked as she clutched Hennessy.

“I don’t know!” Mister Balister barked. “Wicked shall have to pass judgment upon this epic duel, but know this, mine apprentices! This day you have witnessed history! It is my sincere hope that all of you have learned something! All of you are dismissed… be gone! But not you, Mister Nicker, and Mister Gambit, you shall stay until Wicked passes his judgment…”

Author's Note:

This chapter kicked my ass. :ajsleepy:

PreviousChapters Next