• Published 17th Nov 2016
  • 4,429 Views, 3,106 Comments

The Mask Makes the Pony - kudzuhaiku



Flicker Nicker has joined the Rat Catcher's Guild. He's rather good at it, but wants to be better.

  • ...
28
 3,106
 4,429

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 49

It felt good to be wearing his face and skin once more. Flicker began to double check his gear, making sure everything was snug, he tugged on a few straps, pulling them tighter, and then began to strap on his weapons as he adjusted his hat. He secured his new swords to his side, reminded himself that there were daggers there too, and then he strapped on Heartfinder. The shotgun was left in his trunk. The ship was wood and aluminium, shooting holes in it would be frown worthy.

“Seeing you gives me the shivers,” Hennessy remarked in a slow, syrupy drawl. The earth pony colt sauntered up to Flicker, and his movements were almost feminine with the way his hips rocked and his tail swished. “You go on, go on and give those rats a good what for.” Hennessy made a dismissive gesture with his hoof.

Piper, smiling, tucked his wand into a deep pocket that held a few candles. Flicker nodded, but was silent. He had almost forgotten his wand in his other coat. The mechanical thrum of his breathing filled his own ears and it felt good to be himself again, all of himself. He was stronger again, more capable, he was the pony he was meant to be. If he had encountered the spider-hag while wearing his face and his skin, that battle might have gone a little different.

Or so Flicker told himself to make himself feel better.

“Once all of the killing is done and the toxic fumes have been vented, I think I am going to have Flicker show you two how to clean up after a job. Extermination isn’t enough, we have to do decontamination. That means removing all of the rat corpses, cleaning up the blood, removing as many rat turds as possible, and then hitting the ship with sterilisation bombs. It’s not enough to just kill things, you will never be truly good at this job if that is all that you can do. We purge pestilence. We clean contagion. Failure to do this not only hurts our reputation, but might also cause ponies to get sick, or worse, die.” Doctor Sterling’s face was solemn, serious, and there were deep creases in his forehead from his furrowed brows.

“Um, I ain’t got no magic,” Hennessy said to Doctor Sterling.

“Oh, not to worry,” Doctor Sterling replied, “we have scrubbing brushes we can strap to your hooves. Earth ponies make fantastic floor scrubbers!”

The earth pony colt groaned at the doctor’s enthusiastic words and hung his head. “I reckon I can’t complain, not after signing that writ of pacifism. I’ll do my part.”

“If you don’t do your part…”—Flicker loomed in a menacing manner—“I’ll pick you up and use you as a scrubbing brush. Both of you. See if I don’t.”

Backing away, Hennessy's good natured grin showed a trace of actual fear. “Now now, I done said I’d do my part—”

“And being a good friend, I am motivating you to do the very best that you can do,” Flicker deadpanned, his mask making his voice sound inequine and perhaps even a little unholy. “Not to worry, this isn’t about seniority. I don’t work that way. But you will learn. Yes, you will learn.”

“Lord Death of Murder Mountain keeps a tidy home,” Piper said, a hint of laughter in her words, “and he does not like the many corpses of his victims lazing about in his garden. Murder Mountain… a very clean place. Corpses not welcome. And blood? That’s right out. It would get on the doilies and the drapes.”

Flicker didn’t realise that Piper was making a joke and he took her words at face value. He stood there, and after a time, he nodded. Saying nothing else, he took off at a trot to go aboard and do his job. When he was a few yards away, Hennessy leaned over, put his muzzle next to Piper’s ear, whispered something, and then the two of them began to giggle like two overcaffeinated squirrels. After a moment, Doctor Sterling, who had heard the exchange, let out a hesitant snicker that turned into a body shaking chuckle.

Still laughing, he hurried after Flicker so that the colt could be lifted over to the ship.


This ship, a vessel for both cargo and passengers, was hot with plague. Flicker could see the glowing red bodies through the walls, through the floor, and it was a wonder that nopony had become fatally ill. His rat sense was the worst that it had been in a long time. He prowled through the first floor, trying to get a feel for the ship, the layout, and what needed to be done.

There was a soft lurch, but he paid it no mind. This was an airship, and airships bobbed around on their mooring cables. His ears heard the sound of machinery; the ship had a steady vibration that traveled through the wood and metal. Flicker paused mid-stride when he heard a creaking sound, it was peculiar, and he was unable to place the somewhat metallic noise.

He went down the stairs to the floor below and saw that the passenger quarters had a serious flea infestation. No matter, he had the means to fix that and make the little buggers dissolve into nothingness. In fact, he had the means to cure this entire ship. He moved through the dark like a bird beaked phantom and he heard a high pitched mechanical squeal coming from somewhere.

“Greetings, Flicker,” a voice said over the intercom. “This is your captain speaking, we are all going down. We are all going down together. My Master sends his regards. Alas, you have made friends with the wrong sorts of ponies, and now, now you must be killed before you become a threat. Goodbye, you insufferable, genocidal, rat-slaying bastard.”

Turning about, Flicker hurried down the hallway, back to the stairs, and went up the stairs. He then went storming down that hallway, heading for the navigation cabin where the ship’s intercom system was located. He went up a short flight of stairs, and emerged inside of a glass cabin.

An alarm klaxon began to sound, it lasted for a few seconds, then ceased. The control cabin had been sabotaged. Controls were all damaged, cables and wires had all been severed. Chewed. Looking out the window, Flicker saw that the ship had rose up into the air and the mooring cables had been detached.

As he stood there contemplating this astounding turn of events, one of the ships down below him, still docked, exploded. The back half of the ship blossomed into a massive fireball and then the ship beside it exploded as well. Black smoke began to rise up into the sky. The alarm klaxon tried to sound again, there was a mechanical screech, and then it went silent once more.

The steam gauge was pretty much maxed out, deep into the red warning indicator, and Flicker had only one thing to say about the situation, something suitable and having satisfying hard consonants.

“Fuck me.”

As the ship drifted away from the Canterhorn, Flicker realised that he was over a mile up into the air with nothing below him but farmland and plains. There was a loud squealing sound and Flicker began to wonder what the sound of metal fatigue was like. There was a loud PING! and then without knowing why, Flicker began to run. A fragment of metal shot up through the wooden floor, perhaps a bolt or a rivet, Flicker didn’t have the time to figure it out, and it grazed his left rear leg just above his hock. It left behind a crimson crease in his flesh, tearing open his suit. He battered the window with his telekinesis, shattering it, and he lept over the ruined control panel as he tried to escape.

Soaring through the broken window, Flicker made the leap with ease, thanks to his training in the gym. Another fragment of metal shot through the floor and hit a window, shattering it. More bits of metal began to shoot through the floor and Flicker came down hard on the deck with a hail of metal coming up from beneath him.

Wood, splinters, and metal filled the air around him as he bolted, and one of the fragments grazed him once more, burning him and leaving a bright scarlet line along his right hip. The whole ship was shuddering, shaking, and smoke poured from the back end, which was no doubt going to explode at any minute now. Flicker kept running, but he didn’t know where he was going. Where did one go for safety when aboard an airship that was due to explode at any second?

Near the front of the ship, he saw a rat of exceptional size and the rat was… wearing a parachute? The rat waved, snarled, and then lept over the rail. Flicker, realising that he was about to die, understood that he had a choice of how he died. And that choice was easy to make. His hooves thundering over the deck, he ran for the rail and lept.

Dying was easy, living was hard.


Gritting his teeth, Flicker tucked in his legs close to his body and pointed his mask’s beak towards the ground. His cape fluttered and flapped behind him like a flag in a hurricane. As he streaked towards terminal velocity, his hat was torn off of his head and he could feel the wind tugging at his suit. Good thing he had everything nice and tight. Below him, the rat looked like he was swimming through the air, trying to get away.

Far below, another ship in the sky harbour exploded, leaving the harbour in chaos.

How fast was terminal velocity? Flicker couldn’t recall and it would be a waste of time to do so. His life was now measured in moments and every moment mattered. He yanked his wand out and began to charge up. The rat was going to burn and that would be the end of him. Not long after that, it would be the end of Flicker, too.

He let go of his fire spell and was shocked when the usual flames didn’t happen. Something else, something he was unfamiliar with, beautiful silvery flames erupted all around the rat like a cloud and in seconds, the rat was consumed in fire. He squeaked his last squeak and Flicker felt better for some reason. It was impossible to say how he felt better, but feel better he did. His wounds didn’t sting so much and for some reason, he just felt stronger.

Above him, the ship he had been on just mere moments ago exploded and it began to rain down flaming debris. Burning wreckage filled the skies and Flicker looked down at the ground that was rushing up to meet him. It wouldn’t hurt and there was no sense being a pansy about it. There was no point in turning away, either. No, he would face this like a stallion.

Tucking in his legs a little tighter, his mask gave him a fine aerodynamic profile, the beak cutting into the wind. Flicker didn’t close his eyes, no, he kept them open and he made himself watch as the ground got closer and closer with each passing second. He would be a puddle soon, a pony puddle, and that was fine. At least it wasn’t spiders, or the spider-hag.

Just as he had made peace with dying, he smacked into a physical force and it was like hitting a wall. He was turned in the air and saw Doctor Sterling in the back of a small skywagon being pulled by a pegasus. Piper was with him, beautiful, wonderful Piper, and she was waving. Flicker was relieved and he was happy that he was about to be rescued. Being snatched while falling was hard—physics was a bitchy mistress—and you had to compensate for momentum or else whatever you were grabbing would be turned into jelly.

There was a cry from Piper and Doctor Sterling raised a shield bubble around them. Falling, flaming wreckage hit the shield, which popped, and Doctor Sterling’s grip on him failed. Flicker’s relief fled from him as he began to fall again. A falling metal strut almost skewered him and he kicked it aside, the force of which made his hind hooves go numb.

Something else grabbed him, something clumsy, and Flicker felt as though all of his bones were about to break. Thankfully, he hadn’t had enough time to return to terminal velocity. His insides threatened to go squirting out of his asshole like toothpaste shooting out of a tube and his eyes almost popped right out his sockets. The coppery tang of blood filled the back of his mouth.

More wreckage was falling around him as he was pulled into the skywagon by Piper. Doctor Sterling did not look well, both eyes were bloodshot, red, and blood poured from his nostrils in a steady flow. The wreckage hitting his shields had been too much for him and the strain had become physical injury.

Woozy, disoriented, Flicker brought his own brute force telekinesis into play, shoving and pushing things away when they were too close. The pegasus pony flew as fast as he could, his wings tearing through the air, trying to fly out of the path of the falling bits of burning airship. Flicker hit something with his telekinesis that was just a little bit too much for him to handle and the strain was like being punched behind his face. Once more, his eyeballs almost popped out of his sockets, all of his teeth went on edge, and he felt blood go gushing out of his nose, flooding the inside of his mask.

Flicker’s relief returned once more when they soared through clear skies. From here on out, it was all smooth flying. Flicker slumped down and struggled to breathe. Everything inside of him felt squishy and his brain felt like mush. Tearing his mask away from his face, he grabbed Doctor Sterling and gave him a gentle shake, gentle by Flicker’s standards.

The doctor wasn’t very responsive and he moaned.

“Hospital! NOW!” Flicker barked, his lips flecked with blood, and he knew that every second could matter in a case like this. “Hurry! Go now!”

Author's Note:

Spider-hag, spider-hag, laying her eggs in an intestinal bag...

PreviousChapters Next