• Published 18th Nov 2016
  • 4,346 Views, 171 Comments

Under Her Wing - Tinyweasels



Rainbow Dash is a human in Equestria. A story about finding your place in a world where you don't quite fit in.

  • ...
9
 171
 4,346

Chapter 5 - A Hero's Welcome and Unwelcome Memories

Chapter 5 - A Hero's Welcome and Unwelcome Memories

Bliss! Rainbow Dash was finally free to return to Ponyville; her friends were all there to join her in Canterlot. The princesses had arranged for air passage via Celestia's flagship the Solaris—the largest airship in the world—waiting at the docks. It seemed like such overkill, but Rarity had insisted that it was the height of rudeness to refuse a gift, especially when it was from a princess showing her favor.

Rainbow relaxed and looked at the ground far below as they passed over it. The thrill-seeking part of her brain tried to convince her to do a skydive from the ship while the self-preservation part, now in the form of Dr. Gray's voice, warned her not to.

She leaned on the rail and again enjoyed the view—she’d make the jump when she was recovered. Her eyes came to rest on the large marble structure at the base of the mountain that housed the Equestria/Earth Portal and Visitors’ Center. She’d land on the roof, maybe a holiday themed jump with an Equestrian flag and smoke canisters attached to her rig to make it a bigger show. Rainbow grinned, thinking she'd better get permission this time.

Fun! When they arrived in Ponyville, it was a hero’s welcome. The whole town had come out to celebrate Rainbow’s heroic rescue, a far cry from her first visit to Ponyville…

Rainbow Dash was still fuming over her treatment from the residents of Ponyville. As soon as she had entered town to buy supplies and get directions, there was panic in the streets as doors and windows were slammed shut and locked; frightened parents grabbed their foals and fled at her presence. She had only decided to come through Ponyvile to visit her friend Fluttershy.

Once she set up camp in the forest outside of town she tried to sleep, but was still too upset. As Rainbow lay awake, staring at the inside of her tent, she became aware of voices nearby. They spoke in hushed tones at first, but as they neared they got more distinct. From what she could hear, they were suspicious of the "hoo-man" that had terrorized their town and had come into the forest to investigate. She found it amusing after a time, their thinking she was perhaps a creature of the forest itself. Even more oddly, she was astonished when one of them broke into song about the destruction the evil human would bring to Ponyville.

"Okay, that's it," Rainbow said, then projected her voice. "I can totally hear you guys out there! Nice song, by the way. Out of curiosity, do you even know what nukes and Ebola are? And even if I had them, which I don't, what makes you think I'd use them in your town?"

She heard them speaking together in hushed tones before the reply.

"Well, maybe we don't know," one of them said, "but that’s just the sort of thing a hoo-man might say. We've heard all about your ways over on Otherside."

"On Otherside? For your information I was born and raised here in Equestria. Raised by ponies, I might add." Another hushed conversation followed and after a minute Rainbow got tired of waiting for them to reply. "Look, I just came to town to buy supplies and find out if you knew where my friend Fluttershy lives, but you made it perfectly clear that outsiders aren't welcome here so you can just pack up your unwelcome wagon and go home. I'll be out of here in the morning and away from your stupid town so just leave me alone. I'm trying to sleep."

More hushed conversation ensued, then unexpectedly there was a collective scream and panic.

"Oh come on! You can survive with me here in the forest for just one night," Rainbow grumbled.

"Rainbow Dash, helllllllp!" a desperate voice shouted, followed moments later by guttural growls and howling. In an instant Rainbow was on her feet and out of her tent. She grabbed her hiking stick and ran in the direction of the voices. Soon she found a pink Earth pony, an orange Earth pony and a white unicorn cornered by half a dozen timber wolves.

Without hesitating she laid into the timber wolves with her own timber, quickly smashing the creatures to kindling, and when they started to reform she would grab the pieces and toss them around; other parts she'd break over her knee. Soon the disembodied pieces began moving away of their own accord, just to escape her.

When the danger had passed, Rainbow turned to the ponies, who seemed just as afraid of her as they had been of the timber wolves. They stared at each other for a few moments, then the ponies bolted.

"Worst birthday ever," Rainbow Dash grumbled as she watched them scurry off. She returned to her tent, finally got back into her sleeping bag and had nearly dozed off when something strange occurred to her. "How did she know my name?"

When Rainbow woke the next morning she exited her tent and yawned as she stretched. It was then she noticed she wasn't in the forest anymore. She glanced behind her—her tent was still there, but she and her tent were now inside a large open structure surrounded by over a hundred cheerful ponies. On the wall was a huge banner that read 'Happy Birthday' and written under it using what looked like icing were the words, 'Welcome to Ponyville.'

The pink pony from the night before rushed up to her, put a party hat on her head and hugged her. The pony then sat in front of her, soon joined by the other two from the night before. The pink one looked up at her with tears in her eyes. "We're so super sorry about last night, Dashie. All of Ponyville was mean to you, but you didn't hesitate to help us when we were in danger."

The orange pony came up and removed the white velvet Stetson she wore over a perfectly coiffed mane; she fiddled with it nervously in her hooves, hesitating to make eye contact with the human. "I'm sorry too. It was wrong of us to think ill of ya, when ya hadn't even said or done nothin' to give us cause for alarm."

The elegant white unicorn approached—she didn't hesitate to make eye contact, but her look was humble and contrite. "I ask your pardon as well, Rainbow darling, for our deplorable behavior and we hope that you can forgive three foolish and ungrateful ponies."

The pink pony looked up, her eyes wide and pleading. "So what do ya say, Rainbow Dash? Will you give Ponyville a second chance to make a good first impression?"

Rainbow thought for a few moments, then smiled. "Sure, why not. My dad always told me life's too short to hold a grudge."

"Woohoo! Let's get this party started!" the pink pony shouted. Balloons and confetti rained down as music started playing and ponies began laughing and dancing.

When the sun began to set the party finally started winding down. It had been the best, most amazing party Rainbow had ever experienced, and it had all been for her. One thing bothered her still and she had to ask.

"So, Pinkie Pie, how did you know my name?" Rainbow asked.

Pinkie opened her mouth, raised a hoof and inhaled to speak, then seemed to get stuck there for a few moments. After several more false starts she just shrugged her shoulders.

"I dunno. You just looked like a Rainbow Dash," Pinkie replied with a smile.