• Published 17th Nov 2016
  • 3,624 Views, 230 Comments

Little Stars - Shadowmane PX-41



The CMCs are now the Dazzlings. Oh joy...

  • ...
14
 230
 3,624

Grounded

Author's Note:

Before we begin this chapter, I want to make this perfectly clear. I HATE Applejack. She's my absolute worst pony in absolutely everything. I feel like there are so many episodes where she barely contributes to the plot, she's broken her role as the Element of Honestly multiple times, and worst of all, whenever she has to be the driving force in something, I feel like all sense of excitement and wonder is thrown to the wayside.

Not to mention, she does a horrible zombie impression. If anything, I find her WORSE than Abacus Cinch, Zesty Gourmand, and even Svengallop...

So I do apologise if this chapter felt a little laboured and unsavoury. I just wanted to try and do something with Applejack where her own way of resolving something blows up in her face and if you're not a fan of it, then I'm truly sorry.

Plus, I've recently been writing another story called A Little Monster, in which Midnight Sparkle is a baby instead of a full-grown demon girl. Give that a read if you want to. You can't miss it. Just look for the picture of a baby Midnight and you'll find it.

But nonetheless, I do hope that you all have a great day, and I'll talk to you soon...

"Applebloom, Ah don't even know what to say to ya about this." Applejack paced back and forth in front of her sister. The muscles in her forehead twitched as she crossed her arms and glared at her sister. "Why in the world would ya'll want to cosplay as our worst enemies?!"

"I, uh..." Applebloom was unable to make up an excuse as her sister's gaze pierced her soul. Ever since she had been a little girl, she had always been scared of that visage.

"Applebloom, if you just cough up the truth now, maybe I'll be a little more easy on you." Applejack took a step forward and stomped her foot down on the wooden floors. "You of all of the Apples should know just how I can get when people lie..."

"Why in the world should I tell you the truth?" Applebloom almost regretted saying that as she too walked up to Applejack. "Why do you girls always have to hate on the Dazzlings? What is your problem, exactly?"

"What's mah—" Applejack stuttered as she watched her sister stand up against her "—I'll tell ya what my problem is! The Dazzlings tore our friendships apart and used OUR magic AGAINST us! And now you and your friends want to dress up and act like them?!"

"It's cosplay, Applejack! You wouldn't be able to appreciate it, seeing as how you've outlawed anime in this house!" Applebloom shook her head and pushed up to Applejack's face. "You know, ever since I was born, you've been pushing me around like I'm supposed to be some kind of second pet! I'm a teenage girl! You're a teenage girl! Why do you always want to take control of me like this?!"

"Applebloom! Ah won't hear another word!" Applejack threw Applebloom against the sofa and pinned her to it. "You're not going to the Fall Formal this year. I'm gonna make su—"

"Applejack? What in tarnation's going on here?"

Both of the Apple sisters looked to the side to see Granny Smith standing by the door. She walked up to the two of them and pulled Applejack away from Applebloom, keeping some distance between the two of them. She then stood in between the teens, looking down on both of them.

"Granny Smith! Thank my stars you're here..." Applebloom wiped her forehead and pointed over to Applejack. "Mah big sister was trying to keep me from going to the Fall Formal just because of my outfit."

"Don't you listen to these lies, Granny! Applebloom was trying to dress up as one of the Dazzlings from the Battle of the Bands!" Applejack spoke up, brushing past Granny to lock her eyes with Applebloom's again. "Ah ain't gonna let mah little sister act like someone evil just so she can try and win some goofy crown!"

"So? What's so bad about Applebloom playing dress-up for the formal?" Granny Smith turned towards Applejack. "Looks to me like she was gonna go out as the belle of the ball too."

"Granny, I suppose I should try and start from the beginning." Applejack took a deep sigh, knowing that she wouldn't be able to convince Granny Smith without letting her know the whole story. "Back at CHS's Battle of the Bands, there were three girls called the Dazzlings who entered the contest, right?"

"Yes. I remember them. Rather sweet girls, really." Granny nodded and dropped her arms down by her sides. "That blue one sure had a hankerin' for tacos. She almost cleaned me out with how many she picked up."

"Let's just stay on topic here. It'll make the situation much quicker." Applejack groaned and shook her head, pushing her fingers against her head. "Anyway, the Dazzlings made everyone else fight and hate each other, all so that they could feast on their negativity and bad vibes—including me and my friends!"

"Really?" Granny Smith raised her brow at Applejack. "Ah remember there was some hooting and hollering at lunch, but ah didn't really notice anything out of the ordinary. They still seemed like regular girls to me."

"Granny! What's that supposed to mean?!" Applejack threw her arms down in front of her chest and stared bug-eyed at her. "We SAW the magic fly into their gems! Don't you remember?"

"Hmm..." Granny Smith tried to recall the events of the Battle of the Bands, but the more she tried to remember, the less clear it became to her. "Nope. Sorry, Applejack. Yer not convincing me in the slightest."

"But then..." Applejack had to pause briefly to take in what Granny Smith had just said, "you wouldn't say that unless you were still brainwashed by them!"

"Brainwashed? Me? What do you think this is? The time of communism?!" Granny grit her teeth together and stared down Applejack. "Ah might be old, but I certainly ain't mind-controlled by some evil voodoo person to do their bidding! You must have rats in yer brain if you're thinking about that!"

"Granny!" Applejack whined loudly.

"Please, Granny Smith. Can I just butt in for a second?" Applebloom gently got up from the couch and tapped on Granny's shoulders.

"Not now, Applebloom. I'm busy lecturing yer mean big sister." Granny idly waved a hand behind herself as she walked up to Applejack, making her step back towards the wall. "I knew you were a huge liar back when you were in elementary school, Applejack. Don't try to pull that whole thing back in yer teens, ya hear me?!"

"Granny! Please! I'm trying to—"

"Applejack! Be quiet!" Granny smashed her foot against the floor, causing the entire room to fall silent. Both of the girls jumped at the sight of their grandmother losing her temper and had lost any and all will to speak. She took deep breaths and turned back to Applebloom, sitting down beside her on the couch. "Now, go on, Applebloom. What did ya want to say?"

"Well, basically, Granny," Applebloom started, "me and my friends at Canterlot High were going to dress up and go to the Fall Formal to take part in the contest to win the crown this year. We were all worried that our sisters would freak out at the sight of us, so we wanted to keep it a surprise."

"I can see that." Granny Smith gently brushed the back of Applebloom's clothes. "So, why in the heck would yer big sister want to have a go at you for doing it?"

"Well, the thing is, Granny, we were dressing up as some girls who Applejack hated at the Battle of the Bands." Applebloom gulped, feeling unsure about whether or not she would be able to prove her innocence. "They're gone now, though, and we didn't really have any other ideas for costumes on such short notice."

"The Dazzlings weren't mean, Applebloom." Granny Smith patted Applebloom's shoulders and gave her a warm smile. "They were the sweetest, most kind, and clever girls ah ever did see. If they did something bad behind the scenes, then how were we supposed to know about it? Outta sight outta mind, as they say."

"I... guess?" Applebloom tilted her head at Granny.

"Now, you listen here, Applebloom. There ain't no shame in dressing up like that if'n ya wanna impress the crowd at the Fall Formal." Granny Smith tenderly held Applebloom's hands and patted her head. "But there is something called imitation. Copying someone else'll just make you seem like a buffoon. Same goes for the rest of your friends."

"Granny. Why are you being mer—"

"Ah'm not finished, Applejack." Granny Smith glared daggers at Applejack, forcing her eyes to dilute as she lurched backwards. She turned back to face Applebloom again and cleared her throat. "Like I said, imitation'll only get ya nowhere in life. It'll only make you and the girls the laughing stock of the entire school. Don't you remember when you tried to act like that girl Diamond Tiara back at the Spring Fling?"

"What was I supposed to do? She practically had all of the makings of the prettiest girl there." Applebloom tipped her hand.

"Now, Applebloom. I'm gonna let you off this once because Applejack looked like she was being unreasonable, but I don't want you dressing up like anyone else from now on." Granny Smith stood up and helped Applebloom onto her feet. "No matter what you are, you're you, no-one else. Yer a special one-of-a-kind girl, as are your friends. You look perfect just the way ya'll are and as long as you remember that, you'll be perfectly fine, alright?"

"Y-yeah." Applebloom gulped and nodded as she shakily got back onto her feet. "Thanks, Granny."

"And as for you, Applejack," Granny's voice turned bitter in seconds as she let Applebloom go off and prepare for the evening. "How dare you pick on Applebloom like that. She's just as much of a sister as you, heck maybe even more!"

"She was going to make herself hateable at the Fall Formal, Granny!" Applejack tried a last-ditch attempt to win her back. "Ah'm not gonna let mah little sister be the target of bullying and ridicule!"

"Applejack, I believe we've already been over this. You're not gonna win me back with that attitude of yer's." Granny took Applejack by the wrist. "I've been raising you and yer parents for as long as you can remember, so going against me is a fight you're never gonna be able to win, ya got me?"

"I'm still older than Applebloom! In this family, the kids have to be protected at all times by their big sisters and elders!" Applejack tried to pull her arm out of Granny's hold. It was a futile effort, though, as Granny's grip simply tightened with each flail and shake. "Applebloom's gonna be in a whole world of trouble at that Fall Formal!"

"Ah don't want to hear another word of it, Applejack." Granny shook her head vigorously and hauled Applejack up the stairs. "You were going to try and ground her just because of what she was wearing who she was trying to be! You might be older than her, but I'm still this family's legal guardian. And gall'darn it, I can do what I want with you, Applebloom, and Big Mac!" She arrived at a door and walked into a bedroom, sitting Applejack down on the bed as if she was carrying a slab of metal. "So I say, you're grounded for the rest of the week. Ya'll aren't gonna see those friends of yours outside of school hours, and you're not going to the Fall Formal either."

"Granny! This is ridiculous!" Applejack could only throw words around as she watched Granny Smith walk over to the window and lock the key, putting the key in her pocket afterwards. "I'm the big sister! I'm meant to be responsible for Applebloom!"

"And I'm supposed to be responsible for you!" Granny Smith picked up Applejack's laptop and phone and closed them up, taking them out of the room. "And if you're not gonna be nice to Applebloom, there will be punishments. These are staying in my room so that you can't tell your friends about any of this. You won't be getting them back until the end of the week."

Applejack could only watch as Granny Smith took the items out of Applejack's room and close the door. She heard the sound of a lock being locked shortly after the door closed. She hung her head and dropped her hat down by the side of the bed, flopping her face down onto it as well. She balled her hands into fists and began to punch into a pillow, grunting and screaming with each attack.

"Why?" Applejack began to shed a tear as she finally stopped hitting her pillow. "I only wanted to keep Applebloom safe... What's she gonna do without me to protect her?" She turned towards the window, looking out as the first stars began to appear in the night sky. "Now that I'm trapped in here, mah sister's gonna be teased, tormented, and laughed at by everyone at CHS and there isn't anything I can do to stop it!"