• Published 17th Nov 2016
  • 808 Views, 26 Comments

The Ditzy Diary of a Certain Pegasus - TooShyShy



The life of Derpy Hooves, as told in her own words.

  • ...
2
 26
 808

Fillyhood (Part 1)

Dear Diary,

Hi! My name is Derpy Hooves. I’m a pegasus. That’s kind of surprising, isn’t it? I mean, pegasi don’t usually do “egghead” things like starting a diary. But Mom says it’ll be “good for me”, whatever that means! Anyway, I bet you want to learn more about me! There’s not much to tell.

I just got my Cutie Mark. Mom says that will really help me make friends in school! I’m not in school yet. I was supposed to start last year, but the school Mom wanted me to attend didn’t want me as a student. I should be mad at them, but I get it. That school was really big and scary. A lot of future Wonderbolts graduated from there. I keep telling Mom I’m not going to be a Wonderbolt, but she was really disappointed when I was rejected. Good news, though! They said if I really work on my flying, I might be able to re-apply at some point. That made me real happy, but Mom still seems mad. I made her a cake and she wouldn’t even eat it. I guess my cooking isn’t that good.

Bye for now, Diary! I’ll write in you more after my first day!


Dear Diary,

I love my new school! It’s so small and cozy! The other students don’t seem to like it much, but I think it’s awesome! Although the teachers do yell a lot. Or maybe they just yell at me. I kept dropping my books and knocking over things. I can’t really help it. I tried to explain that to my history teacher, but she just kept yelling and I had to cover my ears. I don’t really like that pony. Her name is Sky Writer and she has a really loud voice. I’m going to try to do my best in her class so she’ll like me!

My other teachers didn’t really notice me, except for Fly High. Fly High is the school’s flight instructor. He’s REALLY OLD. Older than Mom! He has a beard that looks like a big bush. I told him so and he found it really funny. He was really nice to me! He talked me through all of the drills and exercises we’re going to be doing tomorrow and made sure I understood everything. I still can’t land well, but Fly High says he could barely stay on a cloud when he was my age.

I didn’t make any friends today. All the other ponies were complaining about having to go to the worst school in Cloudsdale. That made me sad. I want all of them to love this school as much as I do! I asked Mom about it and she just told me to “make some friends”. So I’m going to do that! I’m going to make one hundred friends and invite them all over for a sleepover!

See you tomorrow, Diary!


Dear Diary,

I know its been a week, but I’ve been busy! Mom went away with one of her coltfriends again so it’s just me. I was kinda sad when I woke up this morning and realized she was gone. But she left me a present! Thirty whole bits! I don’t know what I’m gonna do with all of it. I hope Mom comes back soon. The last time she went away with a coltfriend, I didn’t see her for a whole three days!


A lot has happened since the last time I wrote in you, Diary. I tried really hard at flight class, but I wasn’t very good. There’s one filly in my class whose REALLY FAST! She even beat the instructor! Fly High says I just need to keep working on my landings. I’m trying real hard. Mom doesn’t usually let me fly in the house, but since she’s not here I’ve been practicing since this morning! I think I’m really getting the hang of it.


Sky Writer is still grumpy. I tried making her cookies, but she wouldn’t take them! I had to give them to Fly High. I hope he likes them. They’re my world famous “Derpy’s Fantastic and Amazing Chocolate Peanut Swirl Extravaganza Cookies”!


I still haven’t made a friend. There’s this one scary-looking filly who arrived on my second day. She wears a lot of make-up and her mane is bright red. I’m kind of scared of her. I offered her a cookie and she said she only eats “big mare food”. What’s “ big mare food”? Maybe it’s the stuff that Mom eats. If I get her some of that, she’ll be friends with me for sure! But right now I have to get some food for myself. Mom’s really forgetful. She never checks to see if there’s any food in the house.



I’m going to that diner I like. Mom’s been taking me there since I was a foal. It’s where all the Wonderbolts hang out. The waitress is really nice to me. Her name is Stormy Flare. She asks all kinds of questions about Mom. And when I come there alone, she offers me anything I want off the menu for only five bits, plus a free slice of sunflower pie!


See you soon, Diary!


Dear Diary,


I wrote my last entry on Saturday and now it’s Monday! Mom came back from her “big pony vacation”. She was really mad. She yelled a lot and locked herself in her room. I guess her and her coltfriend got into a fight. I left some leftover pie in front of her bedroom door to cheer her up!


Flight class was canceled today. Fly High had to stay home because of an allergic reaction. I wish I knew he was allergic to nutmeg before I gave him those cookies! I hope he gets better. I made him a Get Well card. I pinned one of my feathers to it so he knows it’s from me.


I tried to talk to that scary pony again. She told me her name this time. Her name is Fleetfoot. But that’s all I could get her to say to me. No other pony has been as nice to me as her! I should get her something special.


Wish me luck, Diary!


Dear Diary,


I’m in trouble. I did something bad. I don’t really know why it’s bad, but Mom yelled even more than usual and I got a time-out from Sky Writer.


I came to school on Tuesday with a surprise for Fleetfoot. You know how I said she only likes “big mare food”? That’s the stuff Mom likes. So I decided to get her some of the stuff Mom keeps in that cabinet in the living room. The label says it’s “apple cider”. I don’t know what that is, but I thought Fleetfoot would like it. I gave it to her and she seemed really excited! But later that day, Sky Writer grabbed me and dragged me off to yell at me! Fleetfoot was in the room as well and she looked really sick. I wanted to ask her if she was alright, but Sky Writer just kept yelling and yelling.


Mom locked me in my room. All I have is my diary and my toys. That’s why I’m writing this. Maybe if I write it down, I’ll understand what I did. Sky Writer says she’s not going to be in school for a while, just like Fly High. What do I do, Diary? I was so close to Fleetfoot being my friend!


I can’t write anymore. I’m going to make another Get Well Soon card for Fly High to cheer myself up. It’s getting late. Maybe Mom will let me out of my room soon.


Thanks for listening, Diary!


Dear Diary,


I couldn’t go to school for a whole week. But when I got back, Fly High was back too! And he got the Get Well Soon cards I sent him! I promised I’d bake him a big batch of cookies tomorrow. But he didn’t like that idea, so I asked what he wants instead. He said he’d love some muffins because he hasn’t had any in a while. I’ve never made muffins before. But I’m going to try, for Fly High!


Fleetfoot is back too. She looks different. Her mane is white now and she doesn’t wear make-up anymore. She won’t talk to me. But she did smile at me during flight class!


My landings still need some work. Since Mom is back, I can’t fly in the house anymore. I hope she goes away soon. She keeps locking me in my room whenever I do something that annoys her. She’s always like this after losing a coltfriend. I wish stallions would stop being so mean to Mom! I bet Fly High would be a really good coltfriend for Mom.



I’ll save a muffin for you, Diary!


Dear Diary,

I made muffins for everypony! They weren’t that good, but Fly High said they’re great for my first attempt! He’s the only pony who said something nice, though.


I was supposed to have some extra practice with Fly High today. But instead of practicing, we just ate muffins. Fly High told me all about his life. He has a daughter whose just like me! She’s all grown up now and she works in Canterlot. She was never good at flying, so she moved to Canterlot after she left school. I’ve never been to Canterlot before. I asked a lot of questions about it. His daughter says Canterlot is really big and filled with all kinds of unicorns. I’d like to live there someday.

Mom got a new coltfriend! He’s big and loud. His name is Peaceful Skies. I didn’t like him at first, but he tells really funny stories. He taught me a bunch of cool tricks this morning before school. He called them “uma-fu”. It’s a special thing he learned when he was in Japone. He said if I ever get into trouble, I can use it! I showed a little of it to Fleetfoot and she asked me to teach her.


Sky Writer got angry at me again. I don’t know why. I was on time for class, I listened really well, and I didn’t knock over my desk. But Sky Writer just kept yelling and yelling at me in front of everypony! She said that I have two days to finish my book report, instead of a week like everyony else. I offered her a muffin, but she wouldn’t take it. I don’t know what to do.


Wish me luck, Diary.


Dear Diary,


The book I’m reading for class is called “The Littlest Pony”. It’s about a little filly whose smaller than any other pony in the world. She’s so small that other ponies can carry her in one hoof. She goes around helping ponies with their problems. Wow! I wish I knew somepony like that.


Maybe I should write a book. But I don’t really have any ideas. I guess I could write a book about my life. That’s kind of what I’m doing right now, but I haven’t written down everything about my life, Diary. Did I ever tell you how I got my Cutie Mark?

Once upon a time, there was a little filly named Derpy Hooves (me). Her favorite thing to do was follow her mother around on her errands. Her mom went to a lot of different places and talked to a lot of different ponies and Derpy would follow her everywhere. Then one day, her mom’s friend got really angry at Derpy. She said Derpy should go home where she belonged. Derpy’s mom and her friend got really loud. Derpy got scared and ran away. She tried to fly, but her wings weren’t strong enough. She crashed headfirst into a window and everything turned black! When she woke up, she was in the hospital. The doctors said she’d been asleep for hours. Her mom was really worried and cried a lot. Derpy was okay, though. Except her eyes looked wrong. The nurse said Derpy had a head injury and she was lucky to be alive. Then she said something that made Derpy really happy! Derpy got her Cutie Mark! It was three bubbles. The nurse had never heard of anypony who’d gotten her Cutie Mark after crashing into a window. Then the doctor told Derpy that bubbles meant “hopes and dreams”, so she must have gotten it while she was asleep and dreaming about the future.

And that’s how I got my Cutie Mark! I had to stay in the hospital for a few weeks, but I didn’t mind. I was just happy I finally got my Cutie Mark! I have a lot of hopes and I have dreams I’d like to see come true. Having this Cutie Mark means all my dreams are going to come true, right?

Well, I have to finish my book report. Write in you soon!


Good night, Diary!


Dear Diary,


I’m writing this from my room. Mom locked me in here as soon as we got home from school. I’m in trouble again.


I gave my report to Sky Writer. I worked really hard on it, so I was sure she’d like it. But Sky Writer was really mad at me. She made me read my report in front of the whole class just so she could make fun of it! That hurt my feelings. But then Fleetfoot started yelling at Sky Writer and saying a whole bunch of words I’m not supposed to know. So Sky Writer said Fleetfoot was expelled. And for some reason, she blamed ME for everything! Sky Writer took me to the headmaster’s office. She said a bunch of things that weren’t true, like how I was always a disruption and how I’d almost started a fight in her class. I wanted to defend myself, but Sky Writer just kept getting louder and louder. The headmaster said he’d have to talk to my mom. He had a pegasus go get my mom and the two of them had a long talk. Mom got madder and madder the more they talked. I was really scared.


Its been hours since Mom locked me in my room. Usually she just makes me stay in here for an hour or two. I keep knocking on the door, but she won’t let me out. I don’t think she’s even in the house anymore. I’m a little scared. What if a monster comes out of my closet? Maybe I can use some of the stuff Peaceful Skies taught me to defeat it and make monster stew. That sounds gross, but I’m really hungry! I didn’t eat breakfast today and I missed lunch because of everything that happened. The only thing I’ve eaten today is a piece of old candy I found stuck to the underside of my nightstand.


Did I tell you about what happened after I got out of the hospital, Diary? Right after I got out, Mom said I was going to be a Wonderbolt. She said she would do anything to make sure I became one. But you wanna know something, Diary? I don’t think I’m gonna be a Wonderbolt. That’s okay. I don’t want to be one anyway. I’d rather be a cool teacher like Fly High or a uma-fu instructor like Peaceful Skies.


I’m tired. I’m gonna take a nap. Maybe after I wake up, Mom will let me out!


Sleep tight, Diary.


Dear Diary,


I don’t think I’m going to be seeing Mom for a long time. I’m sad about that. I know Mom loves me and she must be sad without me around. Maybe one day I’ll come back and we can eat sunflower cake together.


Mom never let me out of my room. I was in there for a whole day and a half. My stomach wouldn’t stop hurting and I couldn’t sleep anymore, so I was awake when the door finally opened. It was Peaceful Skies. He had to break down the door because he couldn’t find the key. He said everything was going to be okay. I don’t know what he meant by that, but he took me to the diner I liked and I finally got to eat! Peaceful Skies said he was taking me back to my house so I could pack my things, then we were going to go away somewhere. I asked him if Mom was coming with us and he said no. He wouldn’t tell me why. I don’t think him and Mom like each other anymore.


I saw Mom one last time before I left. Me and Peaceful Skies were getting into his chariot with my suitcase. I waved to Mom, but I don’t think she saw me. She looked angry. She was talking to a couple of scary-looking ponies in suits. I wanted to call out to her, but Peaceful Skies said we had to go. I’m going to write to Mom once we get to wherever we’re going.


I didn’t get to say goodbye to Fleetfoot or Fly High. But I talked to a mare in a suit who had a nice smile. She told me to write letters to them and she’d pass them on for me. I asked Peaceful Skies where we were going and he said “somewhere far away”. But where’s that, Diary? The moon? Living on the moon sounds kind of fun. Maybe I can make friends with Nightmare Moon! All the books say she’s a bad pony, but that depends on how you look at it. Fly High told me that ponies are only bad if we look at them that way. Sometimes when everypony thinks somepony is bad, they just need a friend. I hope that wherever I’m going, I get to make a lot of friends.

I’m sleepy, so that’s all for now.

Bye-Bye, Diary.