• Published 22nd Jul 2012
  • 26,865 Views, 1,146 Comments

A Dream of Dawn - Starsong



What if Luna won against Twilight? What happens when Discord comes back?

  • ...
30
 1,146
 26,865

The Battle of Canterlot

Fluttershy

Fluttershy wept over the passing of Cadence. Though they'd only had a brief time to know one another, she knew the kindness that dwelt within her. Twilight considered the princess dear, and so would she.

The first seeds of hardness sprouted in her heart, sewn by the evils that threatened Equestria, wintered in the long nights, and finally brought to blossom as the pony she had worked to save slipped away from her. Equestria had changed, and in doing so it changed her. While Zecora cleaned the princess' wound, she wiped her tears and buried her sorrow where it would have to remain until a day when the sun shone bright once more.

Zecora wrapped Cadence's body, now in calm repose, within a long white cloth. Fluttershy went to the forests and called out in a long and somber tone. The beasts gathered. The wolves, the birds, the monsters and any creature willing to follow her met her there. Angel tried to settle on her neck but she removed him with a wing.

“Sorry, Angel bunny,” she whispered. “I have to carry somepony else.”

“I fear it may be too dangerous for the little one,” said Zecora. “He should remain here until our work is done.”

Fluttershy shook her head as Angel did. “I'm not leaving him alone,” she said, “and I don't think he'd let me.” The bunny folded his paws and nodded. “It'll be okay. I won't let anypony else get hurt.”

Zecora nodded. The pegasus knelt in front of her and offered her back. Zecora brought Cadence's body and laid it against, then bound it loosely behind her wings. The weight bore down on her back, but she forced herself to carry it, for she could not stop blaming herself for what had happened. As she steadied herself, Zecora strapped her own saddlebags on and donned her cloak.

And they and all the creatures in their host began the long march to Canterlot.



Ponyville was deserted. All of the villas and farms lay abandoned, the most crucial items taken and all else left behind.

But I was the first to leave, she thought, recalling how they passed her cottage.

They met the tail of another caravan making its way to the Canterlot city gates but did not stop to speak to them. Most ponies froze in terror at the strange sight, and she could not blame them. They would spook at just the sight of a pegasus with a strange cargo and the hooded zebra accompanying her. The parade of silent, staring beasts was enough to send them fleeing to the shelter of their wagons. But it also guaranteed their safety when Fluttershy's burden became too much, and they were forced to rest.

The weight of Cadence burned at her withers but she did not yield. The sky dimmed as she climbed into the lamp-lit streets of the city. Clusters of ponies, mostly families, filled the main streets while clamoring for space and shelter. Some simply sat on the curbs and in shops, worn ragged from the sudden uprooting from their hometowns. There would certainly be more to come.

All parted and quieted before her until she reached the palace gates where the two guards, mortified, raised their wings to stop her.

“Castle Canterlot is closed to the public,” said one mare, looking over the line of creatures that extended down the stairs. “As well as the wild.”

“I want to speak to your captain,” said Fluttershy. “He's... a friend.”

The other guard snorted. “Captain Shining Armor is in a meeting concerning the well-being of this city. “Friend or not, this is far from the time.”

The timberwolves took the guards' scent and growled lowly. Fluttershy shook her head and bid them to heel. They did so, but not without a grumble of bark on pulp. “I come with gifts,” she said, meeting the eyes of the guards. “For the princess. These animals I tamed and this treasure is sure to make a fitting tribute. For showing such kindness in opening her city to Equestria, it's the least I could do.”

The guards looked at one another, their ears perked high at the mention of gifts and treasure. “We will show you in,” said one.

“Wait,” said the other, looking at the wrapped shape on Fluttershy's back. “What's in the cloth?”

“It is for the princess' eyes only,” she said. “Royal etiquette and all.”

They studied the concealed body of Cadence closely, and then her. She kept her mind calm and steeled. There was something she intended to show the princess, and Shining Armor should have been somewhere close by. Finally, the guards nodded. Above them, a gatesman's horn lit and the gate groaned open.

Fluttershy and her company entered the palace as the gates sealed shut again. She ascended the great flights of stairs. Her hooves strained. She kept climbing and traversing the corridors, always under the watchful eye of the guard, until they had reached the entrance to the throne room. Another changeling-as-pegasus leered at her.

“Her highness is busy,” said the guard there, eying the guard escorting them. “Whatever business you have will have to wait.”

“I will see her now,” she said, lifting the tips of her wings up. A threatening growl chorused over the beasts and then silenced. She would give one warning. “Neither your princess nor I have the patience to be meddled with.”

She stared into the guard's eye. Even a changeling in disguise knew to shiver in front of her, for her will was absolute. They would enter. She hoped it would not come to a fight, but she knew if it did, there was no way that a half a dozen guards could take on her entire pack. The guard must have realized this, because in spite of an indignant snort, he turned and made to open the final door.

Rarity

“You made your cousin an officer? What were you thinking?”

Shining Armor rubbed his temples, voicing his latest exasperation before the throne. Rarity sat with several of the advisers, watching and wondering what the princess intended with their presence as she handed down orders from the throne.

What is she thinking? Rarity glanced around, silent as she had been for days. I understand she's been under some stress because of the attack, but there's no way she would trust Blueblood with command.

Princess Cadence leaned back against the throne and sighed. “I thought I gave command of the third battalion to someone suited to the station." Then she turned from side to side, addressing the handful of well-armored guards on either side of the throne. "Was I not clear enough the first time?” They murmured in agreement.

“Clear as crystal,” said Shining Armor, standing. “It's also obvious that you did so without consulting me, or anypony else.”

“Need I remind you that I am princess?” said Cadence. “It is my duty to run the guard as I see fit.”

“You may be the princess,” said Shining Armor, “but you know nothing of war. Let me be your sword and your shield. Call your cousin back from the front. There's nothing to be gained for him in the north.”

“The changeling party was seen retreating that way,” said Cadence. “If he should catch them, he will have the glory he so craves, and if he does not find them, he will be safe from harm.”

Shining Armor slammed his hooves against the floor. “That's not a good enough reason! Canterlot is packed to the walls with refugees and more come by the day. By opening our gates so freely, we may as well have invited the entire changeling hive into our homes!”

Cadence raised an eyebrow. “And you would have me leave our subjects without shelter against this threat?”

“No, I...” Shining Armor sighed. “All I ask for is the strength to protect them. To protect you.”

“And you have it,” said Cadence. “Scores of strong ponies under your command.”

“It's not enough,” said Shining Armor. “Cadence, please listen to me. The changelings have the perfect opportunity to sack Canterlot. If they have not already, they must be waiting for something.”

The princess folded her hooves beneath her. “And what do you think that is, my dear?”

“I don't...”

Before Shining Armor could respond, the doors to the throne room swung open. Everypony looked up in stunned silence as Fluttershy staggered into the room with a large white object upon her back. She fell onto the floor and every animal that could fit inside the doorway formed a half-circle behind her.

“Fluttershy!” exclaimed Rarity. She left the clamoring council and dashed to her friend's side, propping her up.

“What is the meaning of this?” Cadence rose to her full stature and glared at Fluttershy, then at the guards beside her. “I ordered that there be no interruptions.”

“This pony came to offer tribute,” said the guard. They yanked the cloth containing Cadence's body and tossed it onto the floor before her.

Cadence grit her teeth. “I don't care if you brought me the jewels off of Celestia's crown,” she said, waving her hoof. “You will all be punished for disobeying my orders.” She exhaled sharply. “Show me.”

Fluttershy leaned upon Rarity and whispered into her ear. She's not the princess...

Rarity's eyes widened. The guards threw open the cloth and it unfurled to reveal Cadence's lifeless body. The council gasped and shrunk back into the chamber. Shining Armor froze one moment, and then in another he rushed over to the body. He pressed a hoof against her unmoving chest. Tears rolled down his face. “Oh, no... Cadence. Cadence...!”

“I'm right here, dear,” said the princess, flapping her wings. She looked around each pony with paranoid attention. “Fools. This is just the trickery of changelings.”

Zecora threw back her hood and standing between the ponies around Cadence and the rest of the throne room. “The princess bears scars left by the horn of the changeling queen. End this charade, and let your true nature be seen!”

The princess laughed and tilted her horn at Shining Armor, as if to trigger some spell she'd laid upon him. But whatever magics she used could not overcome the fury and the hate that burned in his eyes. Shining Armor screamed and turned, firing a lance of magic at her. The spell sheared her cheek and caused her to cry out in pain. Shining Armor broke from the group and charged at the imposter. As he got close, she turned and her wing stiffened like forged metal before smashing him aside. Blood dripped from her face and her body began to melt away into a shiny black substance. Green flame encircled her, and magical energies shivered through the air. Chrysalis shed her pony skin in a violent burst and revealed her true form.

“I suppose you've finally seen through my ruse,” she said. “But it's too late. Canterlot is already mine.”

Shining Armor rolled to his hooves and charged her again. As she reached to strike him again, his horn flickered and a bright blue wall of magic appeared in front of him. He rammed into her and the kinetic force released, sending her sprawling back across the room. Once she was down, he did not relent, launching volley after volley of attacks at her.

“You killed her,” he growled. “Killed Cadence!”

Chrysalis laughed and flittered her wings, pulling herself up. “And I suppose you're going to kill me?”

Shining Armor narrowed his eyes, nearly red with rage. “I am.”

“And you used to be so gentle,” said Chrysalis. “You even fought against the execution of my children. Now look at you. Dear Cadence would hate to see you like this.”

He loosed another surge of magic at her. This time she retaliated with a flash of emerald light, causing his spell to shatter as it struck her own. She cackled. “You loved one another so deeply. How ironic that your pure, selfless love is what gave me the power to destroy you.”

Then she pointed her horn at the ceiling and fired. A beacon of green light screeched upwards and tore through the ceiling. It traveled to the top of the sky and then a web of light and sound burst over Canterlot.

“Is that supposed to scare me?” said Shining Armor, lowering himself for another charge.

“You should fear,” said Chrysalis. “My children will take the city, and Canterlot will be mine. All while their fearless leader is too blind with rage to help them.”

Shining Armor threw himself at her again. She took to the air and easily evaded his strike. He began to pursue her, unleashing spell after spell. Chrysalis burst out one of the stained glass windows and Shining Armor leapt through into the courtyard beyond.

The changeling queen's signal caused the guards to stand straight with attention. They shed their disguises, turning to Fluttershy and her friends. Before they could move again, Zecora whipped her staff out from beneath her cloak and dispatched two with swift, successive strikes. The council continued to seek shelter as each of the guards in the room flashed and transformed into changelings, only to be torn down by Fluttershy's wolves and Zecora's staff. Sounds of battle rose from outside the throne room where the beasts engaged the enemy in the halls.

The zebra looked over at Rarity. “They could not have moved the guards where anypony could see. Do you have any idea where they might be?”

Rarity looked up. The death of Cadence, the infiltration of the changelings, and Fluttershy's worn body still railed at her brain. She forced herself to breathe and compose herself. Come now Rarity, this isn't your first taste of battle. You must be strong.

“They are probably in the dungeons, where the changelings were supposed to be held,” she said. Then she lifted Fluttershy's head in her hooves and frowned. “This is no place for you, dear.”

Fluttershy smiled and shook her head, coughing as she rose. “It's okay, Rarity. I've got my animal friends to protect me.”

Rarity cast a glance over her shoulder to see a timberwolf tearing into a changeling and winced. “I see your point. There's probably not a single safe place in in the city now.” She forced a smile. “Will you join me in a little tour of the Canterlot dungeons?”

“Of course,” said Fluttershy.

“I know a few passages that will make our trip easier,” said Rarity. “Come, we must be quick.”

Fluttershy turned and the rest of the beasts followed. Together they hurried through the doorways and to the passages that would lead them to the basements of Canterlot.

Lyra

The unicorns of Canterlot bid the moon to rise, and then lingered in the castle grounds at length. Though at first only their duty bound them together, the shared experience soon became a spiritual one. They stayed long after completing the and shared in one another's company. It was difficult for them to mingle with other ponies immediately afterwards.

“Other ponies don't understand what it feels like,” one of them said. “I feel sorry for them.”

Just what those snobs would say, thought Lyra, propping herself against the outer wall. She stroked the body of her lyre and sighed. Maybe they're right. We have a connection to the cosmos that they can't ever feel or understand. She looked towards the castle towers and thought of Bon Bon. Or maybe that's the way the pegasi feel about the sky. The way the earth ponies feel about the earth. Maybe we're all connected to Equestria like this...

She went to pluck another note but could not hear it. The bright green light burst from the palace and a shrill squeal filled her ears. Every unicorn swung to attention and stared up as the net of light arced to every corner of Canterlot. After a moment, the sound stopped.

And then the buzzing began.

“Changelings!” someone in the crowd shrieked. They began to pace and chatter. A stampede could have broken out at any minute. Lyra amplified her instrument and played a single chord to gather their attention.

“Calm your stockings, lacebottoms.” She smacked her side and grinned. “The last time this lot tried to take us on we sent them home packing. And that was before we had any idea what the heck we were up against.”

“But they could be among us right now!”

Lyra rubbed her forehead and watched as the collection of pampered unicorns tried to descend into distress again. “It's impossible for a changeling to raise the sun or the moon. They must not have infiltrated us.” The group began to calm. Lyra had to seize the opportunity. “We can't separate. We don't know who is and isn't a changeling outside of these walls.”

“What do we do, then?”

The buzzing above Canterlot grew louder. Even above the castle walls they could see a sky filled with a swarm of black bodies. Lyra drummed her hooves against the ground and chuckled to herself.

“We fight back.” She waved a hoof. “Everyone up onto the castle walls! We've moved the sun and the moon. Taking down a few hundred changelings should be foal's play.”

“We're not trained soldiers. Most of us only know a few basic defense spells...”

“That should be enough,” said Lyra. “Changelings rely on their numbers more than anything. Come on!”

Inside she knew it wasn't that simple. And they probably knew that, too. But their time spent linked through magic gave them strength. They felt safer together, and they felt stronger. Together they climbed to the castle walls and formed their lines across the stones. Below, they could see that fighting had exploded in the streets. It was impossible to tell who was who—royal guards, civilians, and changelings all blended together in the Canterlot sprawl.

“Keep your eyes on the sky,” said Lyra, positioning herself at the fore. She conjured a beam of light and swung it towards the north. “Not gonna be any ponies up there, so just hittem with what you've got. Even just a bit of force should be enough. Let's do it like the spellslingers of old.”

The unicorns followed her direction. The changelings also noticed her bright flare from upon the wall. Hundreds broke from the swarm and began to dive towards their position.

“Ready...” she called, hoping that they could ever possibly be. She didn't bother to look. There wouldn't be enough time. She tucked her lyre against her side, swung her charged horn to the air, and bellowed.

“Volleys!”

She fired the first burst of magic towards the changelings and began charging another. A few of the unicorns lagged behind, for misunderstanding or for nerves, but soon dozens of their bolts lit up the skies. Several bursts of magic sheared through the swarm and brought changeling after changeling hurtling towards the ground. Wherever they fell, many more still came.

“Good!” she called. “All together now. Keep going!”

With each volley the unicorns grew more confident in their abilities. Their familiarity with one another and their magics lent them to aid one another and unleash a glittering shower of colors on their attackers. Only a few changelings managed to get close, but a few seemed to be enough. They swept down when the unicorns paused to gather their strength between shots. They flickered with green fire as they aimed their horns downward and began to drop.

“Shields!” Lyra cried out.

Fifty unicorns brought up a shield at once. The white shining dome formed a solid wall of light between them and the skies above. Changeling after changeling crashed into it horn-first, then tumbled off the side of the dome. Each blow made the unicorns stagger. The shield soon flickered and Lyra waved her hoof.

When it dispelled, another swarm of changelings fell to the ground between them, the shock waves sending some unicorns sprawling across the ground. Lyra stepped to the side and swung her lyre in wide ark, clubbing a changeling over the head with its base. It fell over, unconscious.

“We've got this,” she declared, whirling her instrument around for another strike. “Keep together and give no quarter. For Canterlot!”

“For Canterlot!” The unicorns cried, and dived into the fray.

Their battle continued frantically. None of them had the discipline of a soldier, only the wild determination to survive and protect their home. Lyra's instrument cracked and dented as she swung it around her with her magic. She bucked a changeling off of the wall. They were many, but they were even more clumsy and wild than the unicorns.

The sound of shattering glass arrested their attention briefly. On the upper terrace, the changeling queen flew out of the throne room. Seconds later, Shining Armor followed in close pursuit and dived at her. They scraped and fought on the upper levels of the palace, a chorus of battle cries and flurries of hoof and magic.

Even a moment's distraction proved enough time for one changeling to land a lucky hit. A tiny green bolt struck Lyra between the ribs and she tumbled mane over hoof, groaning as she fell onto the stone wall. The changeling that struck her charged. She rolled onto her back and threw her hooves up, sending it careening upwards and tumbling over the wall's edge.

“I'm okay!” she declared, trying to rise. The pain was too intense. She slumped back against the wall with a gasp, grasping at her side. Her coat had been singed and a dark red sore spread where she'd been struck. She propped herself up against the wall and fired several bursts at changelings who thought to take advantage of her prone state. All three met the floor before they got anywhere near her.

“Keep it up, colts...” she laughed and coughed, holding her lyre close. The enemy fell before them in droves but not before they managed to knock one of the unicorns down. And then another. Their standing numbers shrunk and the changelings seemed infinite. The battle was not one they could win on their own.

Pinkie Pie

A line of dim lanterns lit the cellar. All the youngest and anypony unwilling or unable to fight took shelter there, and hundreds of faces sat crammed together. Pinkie Pie sat on top of a crate amidst a circle of small children. Mr. and Mrs. Cake sat quietly and anxiously beside her, holding hooves. The foals were almost ready to come, and that terrified them more than the war raging on the streets above. The rumble and clatter sounded constantly. The ceiling above them shook and the cellar door battered against its hinges. It bumped forward now and again and met resistance from the shelves and boxes that had been piled against it.

“At least we're in the basement of the donut shop, right?” said Pinkie, clapping her hooves together. “When this is over we can all go up and stuff our faces! Won't that be great?”

“I'm scared,” said one of the fillies.

“I miss my mom and dad.”

Pinkie Pie's ears drooped, but she smiled. She had to. That was the only way she knew to keep their spirits up. “Your parents are doing their best,” she said. “They're probably safe like us. We just need to wait.”

Mrs. Cake tugged on Pinkie's withers. “Are you sure that we're safe?” she sniffed. “They're right outside the door, and if one of them should get in here, I don't know what we would do!”

Pinkie Pie shook her head. “They can't get in,” she said. “Don't worry! There are a lot of strong ponies fighting to protect us right now. And the meanies can't get in as long as we keep the door shut, right?”

“I suppose you're right,” said Mrs. Cake. Mister Cake hugged her from behind, his hooves around her swollen belly.

“I promise I won't let anything happen to you,” said Pinkie Pie. Then she leaned down in front of Mrs. Cake's stomach and giggled. “Or you. Or you.” And then to the rest of the room. “Or you, or you, or you...”

The door rumbled again and the lamps flickered. Pinkie Pie hopped off of the crate and looked around the room.

“Well, I haven't met so many of you! This is a great time to get to know one another. Maybe we should do introductions?”

The children blinked. One flickered her little wings. “That would take all night,” she said.

“It takes a lot of time to make a lot of good friends,” said Pinkie Pie, patting the little pegasus. “But it's worth it. Don't you think?”

The cellar shook. Something slammed against the door violently, causing the pile of boxes to shudder. The group of children whimpered and huddled together. She sighed and soothed over them.

“There's nothing to be afraid of,” she said. “If anything comes in, we can just make it go away.”

“You mean it?”

“Yup!” Pinkie beamed. “This actually seems like a great time for one of granny pie's songs. Perfect time, actually! This time you just listen in.”

Everypony stared, either spellbound or dumbstruck as the pink pony jumped onto an over-sized bag of flour and put her hooves in the air.

When I was a little filly,
and the sun was going down...

Rainbow Dash

The moonlight barely silvered the wings of the pegasi as their flock moved through the night. A glaze of frost coated their wings and made every flap, every breath sting a little. They remained silent. A pegasus' coat was built for such weather; their blood ran quick to keep them warm. Anyone looking up may have seen the stars flicker as thousands of dim shapes soared through the night sky.

Rainbow Dash flew at the head of a wing, five ponies at her either flank. She did not have to look to know that they all followed her. She could feel their flight in her wings, in the very air around them. Only the whisper of the wind and the stroke of pegasus wings met her ears. At least until one young flier moved up the formation to meet her.

“You're breaking formation,” said Rainbow Dash, glancing over at the white-coated filly. When she refused to get back in line, she sighed. “Snowflake, right? Make it quick or Spitfire will have my flanks.”

“Do we have to fligh so high?” she said, shivering. Rainbow thought it was a little odd, given her namesake.

“We don't want to be seen,” said Rainbow Dash, adding pointedly, “or heard.”

Snowflake nodded. Her gaze wandered to the east. “We're not going to make it, are we?” she said.

Rainbow Dash shook her head. “Canterlot will hold,” she said. “Do you understand the plan?”

“Of course. I'm just worried about a friend of mine.”

“Me, too,” admitted Rainbow Dash. “She's probably in hysterics right now. Man, this is totally not her thing. Really froofy mare, but I think you'd like her.” She sighed. “Anyway, there'll be time to worry and rescue later. Right now you need to get back in line.”

“Yes, ma'am,” said Snowflake. She hesitated a moment, and then drifted back through the flight of pegasi.

Rainbow Dash exhaled and look ahead on the horizon. She could see Canterlot set against the distant mountain, aglow with its street lamps and palace lights. Before her and behind her flew a hundred flights of pegasi. Though they were mere shades against the night, the very winds of Equestria seemed to flow through them, towards Canterlot. The stars continued to dim and blink out, one by one, so slow and so little in the billions of lights that Rainbow barely noticed. She couldn't help but feel something hanging above their heads, waiting to fall on even the ceiling of the sky.

Applejack

Applejack watched ponies scramble to and fro beneath the rim of her hat. When the order had come to evacuate Ponyville, she'd resisted vehemently. Even when she sent the others to the safety of Equestria's capital city, she could only be convinced to leave Sweet Apple Acres when one thing became clear: this was where their last stand would take place. Either the Changelings would be forced to relent, or they would meet their end.

The changelings expected to swoop in and take Canterlot. They expected that with the guard spread thin and otherwise incapacitated--that there would be no one left to fight. They were wrong. Applejack's band was not the only one to stand up, although they may have been the most organized. The instant the creatures descended on Canterlot, the ponies abandoned their belongings on the street and sent their children into shelter. They hurried those who were unwilling to fight away and then stood to meet the assault.

“You knew this day'd come,” said Applejack, addressing the hundred or so ponies packed into the streets. “You're ready. They ain't. They come lookin' for a conquering and they got a fight on their hooves. Everypony is depending on us. Stay together. Stay strong. And send those bleedin' monsters back where they came from!”

Their hooves rumbled and the ponies cheered. They cried for the oncoming battle and braced themselves, forming into lines with their hooves dug in tight for support. They stretched across the width of the Canterlot byways and prepared to meet every changeling that came at them, whether by ground or air. Caramel and Big Macintosh joined her as she gathered a dozen other ponies to follow her.

At first, their signs of resistance were met with focused assault. The changelings swept from above and battered the streets, pushing the lines back. Then the ponies retaliated. Hoof met skull and the changelings smashed face first into stone and wall.

A changeling in disguise turned and lashed at a stallion in the line. He fell to the ground, and then the two beside him struck at the changeling. They ejected it from their ranks and helped the fallen stallion to his feet.

Applejack whirled and bowled over a pile of changelings. She maneuvered with her group under an archway overhanging a street and held them there. After they dispatched a few more of the changelings, Caramel shrunk back and rubbed one of his hooves.

“I'm already achin' all over,” he said. “I'm not cut out for this.”

“Just keep thinkin' of them as apple trees,” said Applejack. She reeled around and swung her legs at a changeling, sweeping it aside. “Might not be no end in sight but that doesn't mean there ain't an end... we'll beat'em eventually.

Another colt laughed. “Don't make it sound like work,” he said, “or Caramel might slip off to nap on the bales again.”

“Eeyup,” agreed Big Macintosh. He chuckled and pat Caramel on the back. When his hoof came back to the ground it caused a little tremor that made pony and changeling alike to stumble.

“Now that's not fair and you know it,” huffed Caramel. “At least it's not harvest season. Don't know if I'd have the strength to stand after a night of that.”

Applejack tipped her hat up and scraped the ground. “Enough gabberin'. I think they haven't taken kindly to our lack of consideration.”

Another swarm descended upon them. Every block of the street was filled with brawling ponies and changelings. The fallen sprawled to the side, forgotten in the fray, left to scramble for a safe place to recover in the rising clouds of dirt. But it seemed that more than dirt was beginning to obscure the streets of ponyville. A rich fog filled in from above the rooftops and through the outer gateways. Soon the lights of even the brightest lamps and magics only cut a few feet through the mist. All they could see were shadows lashing about in the darkness. Everypony squeezed tight together.

“This ain't good,” muttered Applejack. She craned her neck and leaned back towards where the other squads should have been. “Stick together! Whatever you do, don't break off into the fog!”

No way we can keep up the fight in this weather. We're sittin' ducks out here...

She found herself somewhere between Caramel and her brother and dug her hooves tight into the ground, silently daring one of the changeling shapes to come out of the fog and face them. Anytime one flew close she bucked at their shade and sent them flying. Fog or not, the battle raged on, and every pony in Canterlot stood.