• Published 22nd Jul 2012
  • 26,850 Views, 1,146 Comments

A Dream of Dawn - Starsong



What if Luna won against Twilight? What happens when Discord comes back?

  • ...
30
 1,146
 26,850

When Morning Comes

Rarity

With the Gala looming, Rarity found herself faced with several dozen orders to be filled. After having played the role of instigator for so long, she welcomed the stress of sewing though all hours of the day. She pressed and measured an emerald cotton between her hooves and lifted a few pins to her side with magic.

One thing she had not become accustomed to was working with such an audience. In her first days, Nightmare Moon's guards had put her on edge by observing her every motion. Her own companions did little more than occasionally glance her way, or idly amuse themselves by the doorway, but her workshop tower had become more and more crowded of late. Spike had also taken up a permanent residence there, but he behaved himself well enough.

“Is there anything I can do to help?” he wondered, leaned over the edge of his bed. Rarity sighed and smiled.

“There simply isn't enough room for an extra set of claws,” she said. “Besides, Opalescence has got me covered.” She pulled a bit of thread away from where the feline sat, eliciting a nonplussed meow. “Still no word from Twilight?”

“Nothing,” said Spike, fidgeting with his claws. “I'm not even sure my letters are reaching her. You don't think she forgot about us, do you?”

Rarity shook her head and threaded a needle with one fluid motion. “Absolutely not. I imagine that she's simply somewhere strange and magical. And safe.” She lowered her head. “I hope.”

“Twilight is the smartest unicorn around,” said Spike, earning himself a curious glance from Rarity and the guard. “Well, she is. I'm sure she'll be fine. We just have to make sure everything is in good shape when she comes back.”

Rarity sent the different patches of fabric about on her worktable and set to work. The dress was slowly, surely, coming alive. It was not for her nor for any of her friends, but she still felt a love of her craft that drove her to inspiration regardless. “I've still not managed to find anything useful. I mean, there's so much written about Harmony, but the gems themselves are barely mentioned... and I may as well have pasted them back together for all I know.”

“Well, if you're not going to do anything with them...”

“Spike!” Rarity flustered and nearly threw down her needle. “You're not insinuating you're going to eat the Elements of Harmony, are you?”

“What?” Spike laughed. “Of course not! Even if I did have that dream, that one time. I just know that there's one way of treating gems we haven't tried yet.”

“And that is?”

Spike puffed a little green plume of smoke out.

“Ah!” Rarity clapped her hooves. She would never admit it, but she sometimes forgot that Spike was a dragon. To her she was just another friend, their little Spike. But he did have a point. “I suppose there could be no harm,” she said. “Celestia knows I've tried everything else.”

She paused a moment to unlock the compartment with one of her drawers and lift a handful of velvet bags, each possessing one of the six elements in varying states of wholeness. Spike opened one and produced a mess of gray shards loosely affixed to one another by some magical force.

“I think they've spent more time in pieces than whole,” he lamented, arranging them. He blew a flame over the element and it glowed briefly before returning to its cold, gray state. “This might take a while.”

“However long it takes,” said Rarity, returning to her work. “I need to get back to work. Princess Cadence will want to see sketches before I begin. Oh, a dress for a princess... who would have thought it?” She felt a little guilt at her almost-squeal of delight. Every day that Cadence and Shining Armor held the castle made it feel just a little closer to the way things used to be, before Discord, before the night.

Pinkie Pie

Sugar Cube Corner filled Pinkie's head with scents of vanilla and cinnamon and browning harvest vegetables. Business there had recovered steadily—several ponies studied the daily offerings of ready-made breads and cakes while pondering their orders. Mrs. Cake practically jumped out from behind the counter when the bell announced Pinkie's arrival into the shop.

“Pinkie Pie!” she started forward, and then leaned her head back. “It is you, right?”

Pinkie Pie puzzled. “Of course it's me! I mean no one else would remember that time we all made cakes and marmalade together and...” she trailed off and giggled. Having seen Mrs. Cake out from behind the counter she was without a doubt with foal. “Looks like you'd have a hard time forgetting, too.”

The blue mare's cheeks turned red and she tugged Pinkie away from the crowd. “Yes, well. I'm glad it is you. I know you told us that you were going on a trip but I didn't think that you would be gone for so long. There's been a lot of work, and to have you back...”

Pinkie Pie paused halfway into the kitchen, letting the door panels push her tail the rest of the way in. “I'm sorry, Mrs. Cake,” she said, tapping her hooves on the floor. “I can't stay for long. Princess Cadence has me running a lot of errands for the Gala.”

“Oh,” said Mrs. Cake, crestfallen. She shook off her disappointment and pat Pinkie on the back. “The Gala, though! I'm happy for you. I can't think of a bigger party in Equestria.”

Pinkie grinned. “Uh huh. It's like, the biggest bestest event ever. That's why I recommended Sugar Cube Corner to handle some of the catering!”

Mrs. Cake's eyes widened. “Are you serious?”

“Sugar plum, are you alright?” called Mr. Cake from the pantry. He trotted in with a bulk bag of flour over his back, which slid to the floor the moment he saw Pinkie. “Oh! It's good to see you, Pinkie Pie.”

“It's good to see you too,” said Pinkie.

“She was just telling us about a job offer,” said Mrs. Cake, fanning her face. “Catering for the Grand Galloping Gala.”

Mr. Cake's neck stiffened. “Are you serious?”

“Why does everypony keep asking me that?” Pinkie laughed. “Of course I'm serious! Everypony is still getting back on their feet, but I know the two of you always come through in a pinch. There's going to be a big order... we want to make sure this is the most memorable gala for years and years.”

“If you're helping plan it, I'm sure it will be.” Mr. Cake laughed and nuzzled his wife. “What do you think, honeybun? You up to it?”

She gave him an affectionate push and nearly lifted him off of his feet. “I haven't been slowing down any, if you haven't noticed,” she said. “I can't think of a safer place for us to be than Canterlot, anyway. We'll have to find someone to tend the shop...”

“We've always wanted this,” said Mr. Cake, and the pair of ponies gave Pinkie a hug. “Thank you. I'd heard you were back in town and hoped you were stopping by. But this...”

Pinkie wriggled her way to the other side of the kitchen and stole a pinch of cake batter from a lone bowl. “I just picked the perfect ponies for the job,” she sing-songed. “I have to talk to a lot of other ponies today, but I promise I'll stop by again soon.”

She inched to the back door and paused a moment to smile at the pair. “It's a big adventure, but you two mean a lot to me. I hope someday I'll be able to come home for good.”

Fluttershy

Fluttershy dried her tears in the valley gardens, hiding her face from the great host of animals that came before her. Birds and squirrels and even badgers and bears sought to comfort her there in their little sanctuary, and it only made her feel more ashamed of running away.

Angel gave a little tug at her hoof and peered under her mane. She shrunk back and whimpered.

“I just can't face all of you,” she said. “I'm scared, and I left Rainbow Dash all alone. But I can't do this by myself...”

The bunny folded his arms and thumped his foot on the ground. The wolves, the bear, the wildcats rumbled in protest. Even the birds took issue with that statement and flitted their wings all the faster.

“I couldn't ask you to fight for me,” she said. “You might get hurt. And...”

Birch opened her mouth and gave Fluttershy a gentle but meaningful nip with her wooden teeth. The whole lot of them chattered. Their support helped Fluttershy push aside her doubts. All of her pony friends were spread far and wide, some of them in grave danger. But she was not alone. She never would be. And she understood what had to be done.

Ponies are already getting hurt, she thought. I need to make sure that no more do. Even if it means doing this.

“Thank you, everyone,” she said. The animals stood at attention as she straightened. “I know you all came here seeking shelter. But a friend of mine is in danger, and I need your help. We will have to leave our forest and face these creatures in their own nests. If you have little ones, or if you're afraid, then I ask you to stay here. Otherwise, come with me and help me save my friend.”

Fluttershy took her first steps towards the edge of the Everfree and towards the changeling's domain. The forest seemed to open up in front of her and creatures of all shapes and sizes trailed silently around her. The very wood seemed to be alive with movement, and she pressed on with purpose.

This time I will find you, Rainbow Dash, and I will bring you back.

Applejack

More ponies than Applejack had imagined had answered her call to action. It seemed that the sudden infiltration of the changelings popping up in Ponyville had riled them to her cause. And now she stood in front of line after line of Ponyville ponies of each shape and color, wings and horns on some, standing in an empty plot. She'd spent the last few days clearing out old structures and in their place putting up a crude training grounds.

“Now I understand that you ain't fightin' ponies,” she said, pacing in front of a black-cloth covered shape. “It's been a mare's age since even the royal guard's seen much of a fight. But the fightin's come to us and we've got to put our hooves down. This is our home and we ain't giving it up to no one. No changeling, no Discord, no ponies of the night.”

They answered her with a rousing cheer. These ponies had had enough. There was a nervous energy to them, to be certain, but if you got enough of them in one place, they fed off of one another's confidence.

“Our big concern right now is those bug critters that can turn into any of us,” said Applejack. “They ain't half bad at pretending. But they don't like being investigated, and they slip up easily. Watch your loved ones, your friends, your neighbors. You'll be able to tell if something is wrong. Our best defense is vigilance.”

Caramel piped up from the front of the line. “What if they're not disguised as anyone we know? What if they're just some random pony?”

Applejack tipped her hat and smiled. She'd told the colt to save his questions for the meeting, that way it'd save her a whole heap of trouble. “They're bound to be around. We're working on better detection methods. Meanwhile it's best to just use your smarts, and be patient if others get suspicious. Stick together. Never go out alone. Travel in pairs at least, more if you can.”

Another pony shouted out, “what if they're here, right now? Any one of us could be a changeling!”

And another agreed, “they could be hearing all of our plans right now.”

Applejack raised a hoof and stilled the growing clamor. “If they are, then let them. Let them know we are watching. Let them know we are ready for them. We aren't the ones that need to be afraid.”

She turned and whipped a dark cloth off of a stump. Arranged beneath it stood several sacks and sticks crudely painted on to evoke some ridiculous image of the fanged insects. She stood beside it and huffed a breath.

“If all else fails, one thing always returns a changeling to its natural form.”

The mare reared back and bucked the dummy as hard as she could, cracking the sticks and sending the sack of its head flying. She stomped and tightened her hat between her ears. “One good buck.”

“You said it yourself, though,” said another filly. “We're not fighters.”

“Maybe not,” said Applejack, sticking a sprig of wheat in her mouth. “But you're mothers and sisters, brothers and sons, and you'll do what it takes to keep Ponyville ours. I've seen the scrawniest ponies buck the biggest apple trees you've ever seen. We're built for buckin'. And if we need to we'll buck some changelings as well.”

The ponies drummed their hooves on the ground in agreement. Applejack smiled, but inside she was breathing a heavy sigh of relief. She wasn't sure she could win them. But it seemed as if all the damage Ponyville had suffered through had only made them stronger, more determined to keep one another well. She trotted over to retrieve one of the displaced sacks and place it back on the dummy.

“I'll show you the ropes,” she said. “By the end of this day you'll know exactly what you can do.”

And I'll know what kinda fightin' chance we got.

Lyra

Lyra sat in her tower bedroom, Bon Bon close by, eating as many candies as she wrapped. And Lyra played a slow stream of notes, a ballad of whimsy that she conjured as she went. Pensive but happy was her song and the two of them looked on at the lingering sun outside.

“It's about that time,” said Lyra, rubbing her eyes. “I still find it hard to believe that this is our Equestria.”

“Well, it seems alright to me,” said Bon Bon, trying to put one of her confections in Lyra's mouth. She eventually gave in. “You're here, after all. And all our friends. What's a little coup if we've still got that?”

Lyra chuckled and swallowed the chocolate treat. She kept playing. Sometimes all she knew to say was in her notes, and the mare with her didn't seem to mind.

“I wish I could help you,” said Bon Bon, rubbing her forehead. “We all do.”

Lyra gave her a little nudge. “You are helping,” she said. “And you will. Watch me. I'll be moving the heavens for you. And everypony else, I suppose.” She laughed and tucked her lyre back into its case. “But I need to know that you're watching.”

“I will,” said Bon Bon. “Now don't be late on my account. This is more important than your usual gigs.”

“I know, I know.”

Lyra kept laughing as Bon Bon practically pushed her out the door. They cantered down to the parade grounds. Most of the ponies were busy creating a hubub preparing the great halls of Canterlot for the Gala. The towers, the suites, and the other stretches were eerily quiet. And the yard itself, full of ponies, was just as silent. Not one spoke or looked as she took her position in the front row and waited.

All this practice... she thought. I hope it's not for nothing. I hope I can do it without my music. I know Cadence said we have to do it without a crutch, but it almost feels wrong somehow. She eyed the edge of morning, yearning for it to turn to day. We won't know until we try.

Each of the other unicorns seemed to be thinking similar thoughts. After a few sessions, the nobles stopped eyeing the waitstaff and the townsfolk. They started as a cocktail of different castes and colors and now they were one group with one unifying purpose. Even Blueblood had stayed his feeble war of wits with her when they were on the field. All together they could lift a candle and a campfire. But they had never been able to touch the sun. Not until now.

They all looked up as Princess Cadence stepped out onto the balcony and nodded. They all bowed their heads and rose to attention.

“Thank you, all of you, for being here,” she said. “There are so many things to say, but they are but whispers compared to your actions. I know you are ready. Join with me and raise the sun, ponies.”

Lyra thought that she looked more than tired, and no amount of regalia and poise could keep her from noticing how heavily the weight of the rule wore her down. But as her horn lit up, all that seemed to wash away. Her wings took her into the air and signaled with a blue light to join her.

They faced the sun and channeled their magic in unison. Lyra felt a hundred voices joining with hers and reach out towards the blazing ball of flame in the sky. They worked the incantation they had been practicing over and over again.

At first Lyra felt nothing. Then a gentle warmth crept through her as they made contact. The heat rapidly expanded and she felt the sun filling her. Every unicorn gasped at once and fought to keep still as they took the great flame into them. Lyra had to fight from laughing, from dancing, the energy in her was so immense. It sweltered and she thought that she could burst at any minute.

The sensation was... indescribable. All life seemed to flow through her for those brief moments and the cosmos twirled as the sun finally hefted from the horizon. She swelled with pride and pleasure and the great light soared, bringing day to all of Equestria. They rose to their hindlegs and Cadence crested against the sky, barely a silhouette in the now blinding light.

The sun rose.

And it seemed to Lyra to end all too quickly. Cadence landed without a sound before them and they tried their best to contain themselves in her presence.

“I couldn't be prouder of you,” she said, breathlessly. “This is... we've made history. We've brought day and night back to the world.” She settled her wings down and cleared her throats. “And it is now our duty to meet each morning and each night so that Equestria is kept in order.”

“I don't think that'll be a problem, Princess,” said Lyra, still a little giddy. There would be talk of honor and duty and the well-being of Equestria, but the truth of the matter was that they would do it just to feel that way again. When Cadence left them to tend to her royal duties, the rest of the unicorns exploded into excited chatter. She smiled at Bon Bon and the filly smiled back. She craved more. She needed to find her lyre, to hear the song still resonating inside of her.

Rainbow Dash

As the sun tilted in the sky, it cast a beam of light through the cave that reached up to Rainbow Dash's belly. She soaked in the warmth of it and shut her eyes for just a moment.

Is Celestia back? Or is it Discord? I don't know. I hope...

She silenced her thoughts at the sound of flapping wings. She'd noticed that the changelings had a certain way to, if not read her mind outright, then at least get a sense of how she was feeling. She buried herself in enjoying little fantasies of revenge as a pony that looked like Spitfire approached.

“I'm so glad you're alright,” said the mare, hastening to her side. She reefed her hooves from the green goo and pulled her onto the ground. “We have to go. Now.”

Rainbow Dash stumbled and shook her feathers out. “Do you really think that I believe you this time?”

The Spitfire-clone laughed and rolled her eyes, before turning back into Chrysalis. “No, but you've still got just a little hope left in you. Making your heart jump is like my morning tea.”

“I'll know when she's come for me,” said Rainbow Dash, walking past the queen and out of the cave, “because I'll get to enjoy hearing her beat the crap out of you before she does.”

The changeling queen stalked after Rainbow Dash, guiding her with her movements, with purpose. “They're not coming for you,” she said, “and that's a matter of fact. I guess one too many stupid ponies took the bait.”

Rainbow Dash willed her wings to stay shut, but it wouldn't matter. The changeling could tell she was getting angry. And she was a little tired of getting angry, too. There wasn't much to say. She looked around the forest for a minute or two.

“It wouldn't matter anyway,” said Chrysalis, her wings flittering her forward. “It does look like somepony managed to get the sun working again. I suppose that makes some of you undisposable. But as for the rest...”

“You sure talk a lot of game,” said Rainbow Dash, “for hiding in the forest and sneaking around like a coward.”

Chrysalis laughed darkly. “You understand nothing,” she said. “This is war. This is me taking what should be mine. You see us and you still do not understand. For all your preparations, for all your friendship, I am already in control.”

The changeling queen made some arcane gesture, and Rainbow Dash saw with new sight. Every shadow swept back like a cloak and she saw the hordes of changelings. On the ground, swarming the trees and peppering the sky above. Their lurking chatter reached her like a rolling tide. She looked upon them and if only for just a moment, she let her heart fall.

Hundreds. Thousands of changelings there, and many more beyond where she could see or tell. Their numbers were massive. Their power blunt but effective. She saw why Chrysalis let her walk freely. Even if she flew with all of her strength, she would not be able to penetrate the swarm.

“When the time comes,” said Chrysalis, “there will be no fight. Canterlot will see my power, they will see my armies and they will bow to us, and you will be glad that you were among the first to fall.”

Rainbow Dash narrowed her eyes and made herself stand. “We will never bow to you.”

Chrysalis scowled. “Then you will fall beneath us. I think the sunlight has been clearing your head a little too much, pony.” She waved at two changelings and they piled on Rainbow Dash before she could resist. “You can cool off in your cave until you come to your senses.”