• Published 21st Nov 2016
  • 11,361 Views, 602 Comments

Yugioh EQG - Banshee531



A young antisocial teen receives a deck of Duel Monster cards and is thrust into an amazing adventure. How will he fair when the fate of the world rest on his shoulders.

  • ...
11
 602
 11,361

PreviousChapters Next
Turn 14, Grand Hoof

"WHAT" Flash yelled hearing the news, "what do you mean I can't enter the Celestic Cup?"

He and his friends were in Sugarcube Corner going over their registrations for the Celestic Cup. Unfortunately when Flash was putting his details into the website, his Duel Disk sent up an alert saying he couldn't enter. Twilight had looked over the problem and came to a simple conclusion.

"You don't meet the requirements" she explained.

"How?" Flash asked.

"The Celestic Cup only accepts Duellists with a sixty percent win ratio, with a maximum Duelling quota of one hundred Duels" Twilight explained. "You started Duelling two months ago and so far you've only had approximately twenty or so Duels."

"So I need to Duel another eighty Duellists and win?" Flash asked.

"There's no way you can do that before the sign up ends" Rainbow said.

"So I'm screwed" Flash said sitting back on the couch with his head held low.

"There has to be someway to get you in?" Scootaloo tried to comfort her brother.

"But how?" Applebloom asked.

They all remained quite for a moment until Twilight cut the silence with a loud gasp, "that's right" she suddenly took back Flash's Duel Disk and started searching for something.

"What are you doing?" Flash asked.

"There is a way for you to get into the Celestic Cup" Twilight said, "right here" she held out the Duel Disk that was now showing an advert for something.

"The Shooting Star Micro Tournament" Flash read, "all applicants welcome. The prefect tournament for those with less then the required sixty percent win ratio, for the winner...WILL RECEIVE AUTOMATIC ENTRY INTO THE CELESTIC CUP!"

"It's perfect for you" Twilight said, "if you win you can still compete in the tournament."

"This is great" Flash said taking his Duel Disk back to sign up, only for a part of the advert to confuse him. "Action Duel...what's an Action Duel?" this made everyone go quite.

"I know you haven't been back in the Duelling world for long" Rainbow said, "but have you been live under a rock? how can you not know what an Action Duel is?"

"Just tell me already" Flash said.

"An Action Duel is the latest Duelling experience" Twilight explained, "it uses an ARC System to increase the action."

"And an ARC System is?"

Twilight sighed. "An Augmented Reality Combat System, or ARC System for short, can create hard light Duelling holograms to make the Duel feel more real. It creates a Duel Field with tons of different environments to run around in, while the monsters created using an ARC System are solid images you can touch, ride and battle with."

"They're real?" Flash asked in amazement.

"They're solid holograms" Twilight corrected, "they look and feel real but they're not."

"So how real do they feel?" Flash asked, looking nervous.

"Why'd you ask?" Twilight replied.

"Well if the monsters are solid then wouldn't their attacks be solid?" Flash said, "and if so isn't that dangerous? I mean my best card uses a literal sucker punch as its attack. Can you imagine if he attacked someone directly?"

They all created an image in their heads of a solid Flash Heart Dragon punching them, and shivered at the idea.

"Don't worry Flash" Twilight said, "there are a ton of safety protocols to prevent actual damage. No one has ever been seriously injured during an Action Duel."

"Alright" Flash said. He placed his info into the signup and pressed enter. Seconds later a message was sent back to him, signalling he was officially entered into the Micro Tournament, which was in three days time.

"Okay" Twilight said, "we have three days to get Flash Action Duel ready."

"RIGHT" everyone said.

"Why do I get the feeling I'm going to regret this?" Flash asked himself


He did in fact regret it. As for the next three days he was subjected to agonistic training at the hands of his 'friends'. Rainbow had him running long distances to improve his stamina, for when he would be traversing the field. "Come on lazy bones" Rainbow called back at him after he had fallen behind on the fifth mile, "you'll never last with that dismal performance."

"Don't...you think...this is...overkill?" Flash panted as he finally caught up.

"Do you want to win the tournament or not?" Rainbow asked.

"Yes" Flash replied, "but it won't matter if your exercise kills me before it even starts."

"You wuss" Rainbow said.

It wasn't just running Flash had to suffer through. Twilight had designed an obstacle course, in order to help Flash hone his already impressive reflexes. "Okay Flash" Twilight said, "Action Duels have something called Action Cards. They're scattered along the course, so the object is to pick them all up and reach the end before the timer goes off."

"Got it" Flash said.

"And...GO" she started the timer as Flash started running.

Jumping over the barrel Flash spotted one and snatched it up before moving onto the next one. By the end of the course Flash grabbed the last card and passed the finish line, "done" he said.

"Yes" Twilight said, "twenty seconds after the timer went off."

"Damn" Flash said.

"Again" Twilight ordered.

Flash tried again and again to master the course, but always slipped up somehow.

"Maybe this tournament isn't for you?" Applejack had told him after the eighth try.

"I have to" Flash replied, "it's my only way into the Celestic Cup. The only way I'm ever going to talk to Cold Steel again" at the sound of his name everyone shuddered, remembering that man.

"I just wish we could get some more information on him" Rarity had said.

"Well I did a little digging to try and learn more about him" Twilight said, "but all I could get was basic information."

"Anything is helpful" Flash said.

"Well" she continued, "his family relocated to this country from Sweden a century ago. They set up Freeze Industries and have grown it into one of the richest companies in the world."

"Anything else?" Rainbow asked.

"Just that Cold is a Duelling prodigy, and won the Celestic Cup six years ago" Twilight said. "Then he travelled the world looking to hone his skills, up until last year. Where he took over the family business."

"That's still doesn't explain his interest in Flash" Fluttershy said.

"Which is why I need to get into the Celestic Cup and talk to him" Flash said. "Let's try again."

The training went on for the entirety of the three days until it was the night before the tournament was set to begin. Flash and Scootaloo were sitting in their apartment, as Scootaloo pressed a large bag of ice onto Flash's upper back. "How's that feel?" she asked.

"Better" Flash said, "though would it have killed Pinkie to find something other then sand to fill that bag with."

"Well you knew it was coming" Scootaloo said, "next time actually try dodging it."

"Whatever" Flash said, but before he could say anything else Grand Hoof walked out of his room. He was dressed more business savvy then he usually was, with a suit and tie style. "Hot date Gramps?" he asked.

"I'm meeting an old business contact" Grand Hoof replied, "I'll be out most of the night. You two know the rules."

"No loud music, no friends over after nine PM and get to bed on time" the siblings recited in unison.

"Good" he said, "see you two later."

"Later" they said.


An hour later Grand Hoof stepped off the train and made his way through the city, heading towards a very unusual place. "Excuses me sir" a woman said as he headed for the entrance, "I'm sorry but the Museum is closed."

Grand Hoof reached inside his jacket and fished out his police badge, which he flashed at her. "I have business with the curator" he explained.

"Of course" the woman said, "go right ahead."

Grand Hoof entered the building and looked around, remembering the many times when he had brought his grand kids when they were younger.

"Well well well would you look who the cat dragged in" Grand smiled hearing that voice, as he turned to see Relic Fragment standing at the top of a nearby staircase. "Grand Hoof" Relic said stepping down, "I haven't seen you in years. Not since your granddaughter destroyed half the dinosaur exhibit" he chuckled.

"Indeed" Grand Hoof said, "even with so many cases under my belt I still haven't the foggiest how she managed it."

"So I'm guessing that you being here means you got the invitation to?" Relic said.

"Yes I did" Grand replied, "though I almost didn't come."

"Your not the only one" the two men turned hearing the female voice behind them. Cadance and Shining Armour walk into the room, both looking unsure about why they were there.

"Well if it isn't the famous Shining Armour" Grand said, "and his lovely wife Cadance."

"You've heard of us?" Shining asked.

"I do follow the Duel circuit you know" Grand replied, "but even if I didn't I'd be able to recognise you both in an instant. My grandson spoke rather highly of you both."

"Your Grandson?" Cadance asked.

"Flash Sentry" he explained.

"Oh" Cadance said smiling, "well I see where he gets his manors from."

"So does anyone know the reason we're all here?" Shining Armour asked.

"Your here because I asked you all here" they all turned around to see Cold Steel enter the building, "thank you all for coming."

"Your lucky I did" Grand said. "My family hasn't exactly had the best experience when we get involved with yours."

"I understand your caution" Cold said, "but this meeting was paramount."

"Then what's it about?" Cadance asked.

"A situation is arising" Cold explained, "and I require your services to help in the matter."

"What kind of services?" Relic asked.

"For you Mr Fragment I require your knowledge and connection in all things ancient" Cold replied. "You've studied countless ancient civilisations and have amassed a myriad of contacts in every country, which can gather the information I require."

"And the rest of us?" Grand asked.

"I may need your detective skill to run down leads I have" Cold said.

"What leads?" Grand said.

"In time" was all the twenty five year old explained.

"And you expect me to just trust you?" Grand said sounding angrily. "I already tried blind faith with your family and that lost me more then I care to risk again."

"And if you don't trust me, then your grandson will be in serious peril." Everyone froze hearing this.

"Is that a threat?" Grand Hoof asked.

"It's a warning" Cold replied, "for soon a great threat will rise, and your grandson may be the only one who can stop it."

"What kind of threat?" Cadance asked.

"I'm unsure right now" Cold said, "but I'm sure they will make they're move during the Celestic Cup. That's why I need you and your husband."

"To do what?" Shining asked.

"For now just to keep an eye out. Depending on what I learn I may require your help in other departments."

"But what does my grandson have to do with it?" Grand asked.

Cold remained quiet at this.

"Well?"

"How much do you know about your grandson?" Cold asked.

"What kind of question is that?" Grand asked, "I know everything about him. I raised him."

"Then let me ask you" Cold said, "where did he come from?"

Grand grew quiet at that, his body shaking at the question. "I don't know."

"What are you talking about?" Cadance asked.

Grand Hoof sighed and with one massive breath in, he began to explain.

<Flashback>

My daughter Misty Vail had always been odd. Even as a child she had an overactive imagination

"Look daddy" a five year old Misty Vail said showing her father a picture of a fairy.

"That's beautiful pumpkin" a much younger Grand Hoof said, "what's it called?"

"She's called Vail Pixie" she said, "she asked me to draw a picture of her so everyone knew what she looked like."

"She asked you?" he asked her in confusion.

"She's right here" Misty said, "but only I can see her because we're best friends."

"Of course you are sweetie" Grand Hoof replied trying to sound sincere.

Back then I just thought it was a child's fantasy, but as she grew older she continued to keep saying she could see creatures others couldn't. Many times I would walk into a room and hear her talking to thin air. Years went by and she never seemed to have any friends, but she never felt lonely. And then she started Duelling.

"I summon Divine Sky Angel" a teenage Misty Vail said as she placed her card on a purple D-Pad. Suddenly a monster appeared that looked like a woman in white robes, with three sets of angel wings and a pink Bow in her hand. (A2300/D2600/L7) "Finish him off" she ordered as Divine Angel drew her bow and fired an arrow at Levia-Dragon - Daudalus destroying it and reducing her opponents life points.

"That was amazing sweet heart" Grand Hoof said hugging his daughter.

"Thanks dad" Misty replied, "but the praise shouldn't just go to me. My cards helped me out to."

Grand sighed, "this again."

"I'm telling you they talk to me" Misty said.

"Quiet down" he told her, "if people heard you..."

"Who cares what people think" Misty said, "I'm not crazy. My cards talk to me, and tell me how to use them to win."

Even into adulthood she continued spouting on about it. It wasn't long until someone very important learned about it.

Grand Hoof and Misty Vail found themselves in an office building where they had been invited by a dark figure who was sitting on the other side of the table.

<Flashforwards>

"That man was the former President of Freeze Industries" Grand Hoof explained. He turned to Cold who was staring at one of the ancient duel tablets.

"My adopted big brother...Sombra."

"Your big brother?" Shining said in amazement.

"He ran the business until I was old enough to inherit it" Cold explained.

"He had heard of Misty's claims about being able to see what he called Duel Monster Spirits" Grand said, "and he believed her. He offered her a job at his company, designing new cards for distribution. She accepted and began her work, finding much joy in it. Every monster she had seen as a kid she designed."

"Sounds like a perfect job for her" Cadance said.

"It was" Grand Hoof said.

"What does this have to do with Flash?" Shining asked.

"A year after being hired Misty Vail and I met a young man" Grand Hoof replied, "he wasn't that much older than Misty. He worked for this very museum, where he collected artefacts to put on display."

"Trail Blazer" Relic said smiling at the memory of his friend.

"He was brash, fool hardy and could never take anything seriously" Grand said before he to smiled, "but he was also loyal, brave and had an unshakeable sense of justice. He and Misty were drawn to each other and one year later I was walking her down the aisle."

"That's so romantic" Cadance said.

"But that's the end of the happy times" Grand said. "A year after their wedding Sombra asked Misty and Trail to accompany him on an expedition, to find a new world."

"What new world?" Shining asked, eyebrow raised.

"He believed the Duel Monsters in the game really existed, and that certain individuals like my daughter could see into their world. He also believed that there was a way to cross into that world, and that people and monsters had been traversing the worlds. People going missing and monster sightings were caused by these...breeches, and he intended to find them. He along with Misty and Trail set out on their global trek to find a way into that other world."

"Did they?" Cadance asked.

"Whether they did or not is unclear" Grand Hoof said, "but during an expedition in Egypt they were exploring an ancient tomb dedicated to some Pharaoh name Atim or something. There was an accident and the tomb collapsed.

"That's horrible" Cadance said.

"When I heard of it I rushed to Egypt, but by then they had ended the rescue attempts. They couldn't find anything under the rubble, not even a body."

"But if they died" Shining asked, "then what about Flash and his sister?"

Grand Hoof sighed remembering that day.

<Flashback>

Three years after his daughter and son-in-law were 'killed'.

Grand Hoof was asleep in his apartment one night. Suddenly he was awakened by a mysterious light that filled his room from the outside.

Getting up Grand Hoof looked out his window, but the light was so bright he couldn't see anything, so he headed out into the main room and grabbed his gun. Slowly he stepped towards the door as the light continued to shine through the cracks, before he flung open the door and was blinded as the light shot into the room in a tremendous flash. It was over within a second as the light disappeared. Grand Hoof looked outside to see if there was anything or anyone around, but no one appeared to be there. Suddenly his hears picked up on a sound below him, and as he looked down his heart almost gave out at what he saw.

A small basket lay on the ground, filled with a bundle of blankets wrapped around something moving.

Picking the bundle up out of the basket he opened it up to see an orange skinned baby with blue hair. He couldn't be more then a few weeks old at most, and as he opened his eyes and looked up at him Grand Hoof gasped seeing his eyes. They were the same as his long lost daughter.

His eyes moved back to the basket, where an envelope sat with a seal in the shape of a shield with a lightning bolt. Inside was a note saying the child was named Flash Sentry, along with some more basic info about him.

<Flashforwards>

"They investigated the child" Grand Hoof explained, "they even did a DNA test between us to show we were indeed related. But even before that I knew this was my grandchild, even as a baby he was the spitting image of his father but with his mothers eyes."

"I can't believe it" Cadance said.

"Four years later Scootaloo arrived in the same fashion" he continued, "only this time there was no flash of light. I just opened the door and there she was, same basket, same bundle, same note telling me about her."

"And you still have no clue where they came from?" Shining asked.

"No clue" Grand Hoof replied, "Flash has always been a bit of mystery."

"How so?" Shining asked.

"Well first there's his amazing physical skill. I've often told him he could be an Olympian if he wanted to."

"Anything else?" Cadance asked.

"Yeah" Grand said, "the fact that he's never even had a cold."

"Really?" the three asked.

"Seriously" Grand replied, "when Scootaloo had chicken pox I tried everything to get him infected but nothing worked."

"Incredible" Cadance said.

"It is" Grand said as he turned to Cold, "that's what I know about where Flash came from. Now answer my question, what does my grandson have to do with this great threat your warning us about?"

Cold Steel remained quiet for a moment, until he final explained. "The Pendulum Deck. Even after countless tests and study we have been unable to duplicate their power to the same levels. Currently your grandson is the only one who has the real thing, but I've encountered the deck long before I ever met him."

<Flashback>

Years ago Cold was traversing a snowy mountain. It was during a blizzard when he was climbing a steep cliff face looking for shelter, when his hand slipped mere feet from the top. But before he could fall something grabbed hold of him. Looking up Cold saw a figure clad in a brown cloak leaning down and holding him up.

After being pulled up the figure had taken Cold to a nearby cave where they waited out the blizzard. To pass the time they played a sit down Duel, using a large flat rock as a table.

Cold Steel had his three Frozen Heart Lords on the field and had three thousand more life points then his opponent. Then suddenly the figure took out two cards from his hand and showed them to Cold, revealing Magna Fight Lucidum and Glow Craft Magna Fox. It wasn't long before Cold's life points were reduced to zero.

Cold was amazed at the turn around the Duel and taken, and it was all because of the Pendulum Cards.

Suddenly something flew into the cave and landed on the figures shoulder. It to was covered in a cloak, but from what Cold could tell it stood at about two and a half feet. It had silver skin and a pair of sparkling insect wings on its back.

<Flashforwards>

"Those cards have the power to do unbelievable things" Cold said. "If your grandson has been given them then he is the chosen one."

The four of them stood in quiet thinking this through.

"He has proven his potential as a Duellist" Cold continued, "but he still has much further to go before he is ready."

"So him being in the Celestic Cup?" Shining asked.

"The best Duellists in the world will be competing, and by facing them he will grow."

"I'd hate to say it" Relic said, "but it looks like we'll have to help you. If what your saying is true, then a lot of people will be in danger if we don't."

"Yes" Cold said, "so can I count on you?"

The four all shared a look, before they nodded.

"Then let's get to work" Cold said.


The next morning Scootaloo was cooking breakfast while Flash was taking on final look over his deck.

"Here you go" Scootaloo said placing a full English breakfast on the table in front of him.

"Er...thanks" Flash said.

"Your gonna need your strength for today" she replied.

"I guess" he quickly ate his breakfast before getting ready to leave.

As he and Scootaloo grabbed their backpacks and headed to the door, it opened revealing Grand Hoof walking in.

"Are you just getting in?" Scootaloo asked.

"Long night" he replied, before pulling something out of his pocket. "This was left in the mailbox for you Flash," it was a brown envelope with his name on it.

Flash took it and opened it causing his eyes to go wide seeing what was inside. Three cards were inside. The first was an odd monster card that was completely grey in colour, with a picture of a small dragon holding a round science beaker in its hand, but it had no name, level, attribute or ATK and DEF points. The other two cards were also blank like when he had first go his deck, except instead of effect monsters these the purple like.

"Fusion Cards" Scootaloo said, "what's the point in sending you those?"

"No idea" Flash said, but something told him we would soon find out.

Author's Note:

Hows that for an info dump? What did you think.

PreviousChapters Next