• Published 12th Nov 2016
  • 963 Views, 79 Comments

PMC's, War Economies, and Fillies? I didn't sign up for this! - Bronycommander



2014. War has changed. PMCs fight wars instead of regular armies. On patrol, a Praying Mantis PMC finds a surprise and the adventure of his life.

  • ...
5
 79
 963

Chapter 19 There's no place like home

Chapter 19: There’s no place like home

Edward woke slowly up with a groan and also moaned in pain. As the man opened his eyes with a light blurry vision, he came to in a hospital room, the sound of two ECGs filled the room.

He was bandaged around his torso. Noi was in a bed next to him, still unconscious but alive.

Edward smiled, seeing that Noi had survived.

Hearing footsteps, Sunny and Otacon walked in. The young girl carried a plate with eggs in her hands.

“Ah, you’re awake. Glad you’re made it. You took more punishment than a man can live through. The doctors said you almost died, weren’t it for the nanomachines. Before you’re asking, Snake is in another room.” Hal explained.

The young man was only interesting about Noi’s condition.

“How about Noi? Is she going to be alright?” He asked with worry.

Hal looked sad at her. “Her breakdown was non-fatal but she has suffered a severe case of PTSD. But don’t worry, Rosemary will treat her. The doctors also found out, that her body naturally adopted the nanomachines for some reason. A second immune system so to speak. While they don’t control her emotions anymore, it still optimizes oral intake and excrements, adrenaline and endorphins to some extent. Like with you.”

“At last her nightmare is over.” The former PMC soldier was relieved.

The filly stirred in her sleep, smelling the fresh made eggs. “Uh, my head…what happened?” Noi rubbed her head.

“Noi, I’m so glad you’re alright.” Smith smiled at her.

“DADDY!” She hugged him with tears of joy. “I’ regret everything! Everything! H-he t-to…” she buried her head into his chest.

“Shh, it’s over. No more tears.” He patted her back.

“Yes Noi, you’re safe now. I’m Sunny and this is my uncle Hal. I made you some eggs.” Sunny putted the plate down.

“Thank you, Sunny.” After the foal had eaten them, enjoying it with a smile, she and Sunny had a happy conversation.

Hal and Edward smiled at them, knowing they would be great friends.

“Oh, before I forget, Johnny and Meryl are going to marry, and you’re invited.”

“How could I refuse?” The young Brite felt honored to be invited to a wedding.

While recovering, Hal told them, that the virus they had uploaded, didn’t destroyed Patriots' system entirely. Instead of plugging the world into chaos, Sunny had programmed the worm to remove their control while preserving the energy and resource networks essential to modern society, allowing the U.S. to truly live free for the first time in many years. But it had also its negative side. Many PMC units and armies were suffering from symptoms of SOP withdrawal syndrome, deserting, not knowing how to continue.

The wedding was beautiful. After being given clearance to land at an airfield, the Nomad was used as a chapel for the wedding of Meryl and Johnny.

Edward was wearing a black suit and was happy for Johnny, who was wearing a white suit, nervous. Also attending were Otacon, Sunny, Mei Ling, Jonathan, and Ed, who acted as the master of ceremonies. Noi was also there, having a happy and excited smile as Roy lead his daughter down the carpet, the crowd applauded.

ED took the word.

“Dearly beloved…We are gathered here today to join these two in holy matrimony. Let us give thanks for the life they will soon share…And pray they have love everlasting. Now, let’s send this new team on their first mission.”

Johnny did not know what to do.

“Hey. Go on! Do it!” Ed motivated Akiba to kiss the bride.

But before they could do so, a Stryker blared his horn, driving at the crowd and come to a stop with a 180 in front of them.

“Just in time.” It was Drebin. “And I brought gifts.” His Stryker switched to a lighter color, the slogan, “Eye Have You” got replaced with “Drebins we have yours.”

The hatch opened, revealing white flowers. “A couple of flowers, compliments of DREBINS.” The former gun launderer snipped his fingers and the flowers provided a shower, Noi and Sunny giggled, trying to catch them. “And…A little extra from me.” Snipping his fingers again, doves flew out of his APC. He had also brought champagne bottles.

The now married couple kissed.

Edward and Noi danced with the other guests, enjoying the celebration. Seeing the colonel smiling, Edward walked over to him.

“You can be proud, Edward. You helped us all in stopping a crisis that could have doomed the world. You have my thanks.”

Leaning against the ICV, grinning at Noi dancing happy together with Sunny, Edward replied, “I only did it for her. She was what was driving me. Without her, I had been probably killed by the militia or by the shutdown.”

Campbell putted a hand on his shoulder. “You can be proud of yourself. And I can tell that you make a good father for her.” He smiled at Edward.

“Thank you.”

“You’re welcome. Got any plans?”

“Yes. Go back to London and my mother, taking care of Noi and trying to live a normal life as it is possible without the System.”

“A wise choice. You’re still young. Enjoy your life, make the best out of it.”

“I will.”

Edward walked over to Noi and Sunny, there were watching the sunset together.

“The sun is so pretty.”

“Yes, Sunny. But the stars at night are even more beautiful.” Noi replied.

Hal joined them and Edward asked, “Do you know where Snake is? I want to thank him for everything.”

“Me too! After all, he helped me too!” The young pony exclaimed happy.

Hal struggled to find the right words. “He…needs to be alone.”

“I wonder if I’ll ever see him again.” Both children said in union.

“Snake…Had a hard life. He needs some time to rest.” Emmerich took his glasses off and sniffed while having his back to them.

“Are you…crying, uncle Hal?” The young girl asked.

“No…” Hal putted his glasses back on, facing them again. “I’m not crying.”

His glasses weren’t positioned correctly, causing Noi and Sunny to giggle.

Noi took Edward’s hoof, Sunny, Hal’s hand. They watched the beautiful sun together.

Now that the SOP was gone, Edward wondered what his future would be and bring.


The Colonel offered to bring Edward and Noi to London with the Nomad. They accepted, as so, Noi could spend more time with her new friend and Rosemary could treat Noi’s trauma.

The psychological counselor decided to use Narrative Exposure Therapy, letting Noi tell her entire life history.

“I was born in Ponyville. My parents died when I was still a baby, so my big sister took care of me. She is a surrogate mother for me. In Kindergarten, I got to know three unicorn foals, Ruby Pinch, Tootsie Flute and Dinky Hooves. We became friends and are ever since. At a party, I got to know the Cutie Mark Crusaders, a group of filly’s who founded a club that helps getting other foals their Cutie Mark, their special talent. They offered me, Dinky, Tootsie and Ruby to be members and we accepted.” While she told more, she listened to Calling To The Night, as it was very relaxing for her. Music was always a good stress relief.

“My advice, Noi, watch TV or a movie. Look at paintings or pretty scenery. Listen to music. Or sometimes it helps if you stand by a river or a pond. It helps get your mind free.”

“Thank you, Rosemary.” Noi smiled, letting the woman know that she appreciated her help and that the therapy showed first successes. Having Edward by her side or playing with Sunny helped Noi too. Still, it would be a long way to cure her trauma.

In London, Sunny and Hal accompanied the two to Edward’s home. Noi enjoyed the sights of the city while they traveled.

“I can’t remember the last time when I was home.” The young man mumbled as he knocked on the door.

A woman with brown hair and brown eyes opened the door. “Hello? Edward?” She was surprised.

“Yes mother, it’s me.”

She hugged him. “I missed you so much! Come in, you’re sure have a lot to talk about. Your friends are welcome too.”

Inside, the children played a clapping game while the adults enjoyed tea and crumpets. Hal and Edward told Caroline what happened to Noi. She looked with sympathy at the playing foal.

“That poor child. But I’m so proud of you, Edward. Your father would be too.”

“Thank you, mother.”

In the evening, Sunny and Hal left, Caroline said that they were always welcome.

Noi enjoyed dinner. “It was very good, Ms. Smith.”

The woman smiled warmly. “Caroline is just fine, my dear. Leave the cleaning to us, make yourself comfortable in the living room.”

Noi smiled and walked into the living room. As the mother and her son had finished cleaning, their hearts melted.

Noi was fallen asleep on the floor, a drawn picture in her hooves. She had drawn her sister Carrot Top and Written Script. Carrot had a Brown-orange mane, green eyes and a Light yellow coat. She had as her name suggested three carrots as Cutie Mark. Under her were the words “Sister” and “Mother.” Written Script had a purple mane, green eyes and a grey coat. He had a scroll as Cutie Mark. He had the word “Brother.” Above the, was written “I miss you.”

The elderly woman hung the picture on the fridge up while Edward tucked the sleeping foal in. As she was in the guest bed, Edward whispered “Sweet dreams.”

The young man had forgotten how his room looked like. A TV with a shelf with video games to the right of it, an armchair on a carpet in front of the TV. The bed had a nightstand. On the night stand was a picture of his parents and him when he was 8 years old, during a party. He smiled at the warm memories. Good times. The video games were the same who woke his interest in PMCs.

In the night, he awoke by a scream. Running into the guest room, he saw Noi trembling, crying from a terrible nightmare. Without a word, he took her on his arm and patted her back. She cried herself to sleep. “You can sleep with me."

The trauma had left its scars, both humans could see it. His mother gave him a weak smile. “Poor child. But you’re a good father for her, I know it.”

In the morning, Edward woke up as the foal came in with a breakfast tray, on it a glass of juice and toast. “Good morning Edward, I made you breakfast.” She had a smile on her face.

It tasted very good. “Thank you sweetheart, it was very delicious."

Noi blushed. “Glad to hear it. What do you want to do today?”

“What about showing you the city? London has many sights to offer.”

The filly gave him a grin. “I would like that.”

“Have fun!” His mother called out as they left.

The child enjoyed the tour. She was impressed by the London Eye and the Elizabeth Tower.

“The tower looks so beautiful.” She looked at in in awe.

“Indeed. The origin for the name Big Ben is not entirely clear, but there are two theories. One, it is named after Sir Benjamin Hall, the First Commissioner of Work at the time the bell was installed. Or second, after Ben Caunt, a Heavyweight boxer who had his last fight in 1857, where the bell was created. The Latin inscription "Domine salvam fac reginam nostram Victoriam primam" ("God protect our Queen Victoria the First") is placed under each of the four dials. In order for the clock to function properly, four mechanics are responsible for it, they are called ‘The Keeper of the great Clock.’ The fine tuning is traditionally done with penny coins, which are placed on the pendulum in order to change the center of gravity and thus the oscillation duration.”

“Interesting.” For Lunch, they had fish and chips. The young man couldn’t remember when the last time was he had eaten that. Noi enjoyed it with a smile despite it was not very healthy.

They returned home, Sunny and Hal visited them again. Noi was pleased. She and Sunny listened together to Heavens Divide. For the filly, it was a beautiful song. Hal and Edward enjoyed some tea.

“Edward, I wanted to ask you something.”

“Yes, Hal?”

“Since Snake hasn’t much time left, I wanted to be his witness. I know where he is.”

“You don’t have to ask me twice. I still need to thank him.”

“Me too!” Noi exclaimed.

They travelled to Arlington National Cemetery, a graveyard for fallen soldiers and veterans, as well as a burial place for U.S. Presidents.

Edward waited with Noi outside as Hal talked with Snake.

“Snake, wait up! You forget these…” He was about to give Snake his cigarettes.

“No thanks. I’m quitting.”

“Snake?” Hal was confused, this wasn’t the Snake he knew.

“These things will kill ya.”

“Where will you go? Our fight is finished. There’s nothing left for us to do.”

Snake countered, “No. There’s one thing I still have to do. I have to see this age off. See what the future brings.”

“Sounds good to me. I’ll go with you.”

“Otacon, I’m gonna be dead soon. You don’t have to come.”

“You said it yourself, Snake. There’s nothing inside you can pass on to the next generation. No genes, no memes…You’re man-made…You’re a beast.”

“I know…A blue rose. There’re won’t be any happy ‘Beauty and the Beast’ ending for me. What little time I have left will be spent living…As a beast. A shadow of the inside…Of the old age.”

“Exactly. That’s why you need me. As a witness.”

“A witness?”

“Yeah. Someone on the outside to bear witness to your final days. Someone to pass on your story…Not that I’m the only witness.” Hal pointed to Edward and Noi who smiled at Snake. “But I’ll remember everything you were…And stick to you with the end.”

“Otacon…” Snake couldn’t say anything.

“Besides, you wouldn’t let me suffer Sunny’s eggs alone, would you?”

“And, Snake, Thank you. Thank you for everything. For me and Noi, you’re truly a hero.” Edward saluted.

“And I must thank you for helping me.” Noi hugged his leg. “But I hope you can forgive me for trying to k-kill you.” She had regret and fear in her voice.

Snake saluted Edward, having a happy smile on his face. “It’s alright, Noi. It’s over. Don’t think back. Look forward. And you can call me David.”

They walked to the Nomad as Sunny exclaimed proudly, “Come quick! They’re ready! They look…yummy. Sorta like the sun. It’s rising again.”

A few weeks passed. Sunny along with Hal and David visited regularly Noi and Edward. They were pleased every time. Rosemary did also regularly Therapies with Noi to make her feel better. She made good progress. The foal and former PMC heard that Raiden whose real name was Jack, was in a hospital where he was fitted with a new cybernetic body that featured artificial skin, giving him a somewhat more human appearance. But it would take a month to leave the hospital and it was top secret where the hospital was.

Johnny and Meryl enjoyed their honeymoon, they had sent Noi and Edward a postcard that said we’re doing great, we’re hope you’re doing fine, like we.

Drebin and all of the other Drebins in the world had taken over the gun laundering business and formed their own "company," called DREBINS, and thus didn't have any hard feelings for Snake or Edward for shutting down the Patriots. They viewed the Patriots' demise as liberating, venturing into new businesses besides gun laundering

One morning, Edward saw Noi quietly wiping as she enjoyed the sunset. “What’s wrong, Noi?” He asked with concern.

“I miss my sister and friends. I appreciate what you did for me though.” She sounded like she was about to break down.

He thought for a minute, trying to find the right words. “Noi, no matter how long it’s gonna take, they will look for you, I know it. If I may ask, how was your life in Equestria?”

She replied sad yet calmer, “Good. A life like every foal should have. A caring family and friends. The games I’ve played with Sunny remind me of the games I play with Ruby, Dinky and Tootsie. I also enjoy helping my sister with the carrots.” At this moment, she got it what Edward tried to do with her. Giving her hope. It was not worth giving it up. “And you’re right. I must have faith! I have to believe in it!”

“That’s the spirit!” Edward smiled at her as the filly let out a sigh.

“I always enjoy watching a sunset or a sunrise, especially with Carrot Top. I just want to see them again.”

As they enjoyed the sunrise, there was a knock on the front door. “Who could that be so early in the morning?” Edward wondered.

Author's Note:

I think you know whi this is. I like to thank Purple Patch for helping me with the title for this chapter. I Did a English presentation about Big Ben once, I searched it again for this chapter where Edward tells Noi about it.