• Published 13th Feb 2017
  • 2,943 Views, 26 Comments

Strange Thing Being a Changeling - TaylorTheFailure



The surprise transformation from a privileged human, with a loving family and seemingly perfect life, to a changeling is a bit overwhelming to say the least.

  • ...
3
 26
 2,943

Reformation

Everything was dark, as if I had been swallowed into the deepest depths of the largest abyss. My memories began to fade. And, for some reason, it didn’t seem to bother me. I actually felt at peace. I didn’t feel worried, anxious or angry. I was just... at ease.

I’m not sure how long I seemed to be floating amongst the darkness, but it could’ve been an eternity and I still wouldn’t have known.

However, amongst the calming black, eventually came a small light. It shown much like a lone star in the night sky. The small thing immediately had my attention, and once the little star had my notice, it grew in intensity. It grew exponentially and began to consume the darkness around me until I was completely blinded by the sheer power of light.

Fortunately, the brightness eventually subsided, only to reveal another layer of darkness. Except this time, the black returned my memories. Memories of my early life, the football games, my mom in danger from those robbers, and then the loud gunshot that rang out from behind me. I remember the feeling of fire against and through my chest. I remember the hole it left, before I remember blacking out.

And now, now I was still alive? I could still feel my body, the rise and fall of my chest from each relaxed breath, the warmth of my body, and the weakness of my eyelids which refused to open. Someone must have taken me to a hospital after the shooting, I must’ve somehow survived! Maybe my mom was here. God, I hope that those robbers didn’t lay a hand on her or I would make sure they didn’t have the chance to lay a hand on anything ever again!

I wanted to see if my mom was also here in the hospital with me. So I attempted to open my eyes, but I felt too weak and tired to accomplish the supposed easy task. I was disappointed in my inability to do something as simple as opening my eyes, but my self-disappointment quickly halted when I heard something that made me question where I was. I heard... well, nothing. That’s what made it so puzzling. I couldn’t hear the sounds of people, nurses and doctors, my heart rate monitor, or even the subtle sounds of moving fluid from my IV. I heard none of it.

The sudden fear of possibly not knowing where I was sent a surge of adrenaline through my weakened body that allowed me to slowly open my eyes. And what I saw made me even more confused. I was shrouded in darkness.

My eyes slowly adjusted, or at least attempted to adjust to the dark. It was still… well dark, but I could tell that there was a wall on either side of me. Strange. It looked like I was alone in some dark hallway. My predicament reminded me of a stereotypical horror movie where the main character would being running down a long, dark hallway trying to escape their killer. Maybe that’s where I was, in a killer’s trap. The sudden thought sent a cold chill up my spine.

However, my thought of being trapped in a killer’s plot was quickly dashed by something much worse. I could’ve sworn I heard the sounds of loud insects buzzing. So, I turned around to see one of the most horrifying sights that I’ve ever witnessed. Amongst the darkness was an entire wall of large, glowing, blue eyes that staring back at me.

The sight sent me into an immediate panic. I tried to get away from them, using all of my energy to force myself up off of the cold ground. But my body ached and didn’t feel right, turning my quick escape into nothing but a bunch of stumbling. I constantly continued to fall to the ground, try to get up, and fall back down. I felt like a fool.

Eventually, exhausted from my sorry-excuse for an escape, I just laid with my back to the ground. Gasping for air, I looked at the eyes in the darkness and saw their amusement. I could’ve sworn that I even heard a few chuckles from their direction. They were mocking me and it made me wish that they’d just kill me already, whatever they were.

The place remained in silent darkness for a while longer before a pair of amused blue eyes began to approach me. As it got closer, the urge to try and run once again made its way to the forefront of my thoughts. However, before the creature got too close, it stopped. It just stood there, un-blinking at me. A moment of silence fell between us and lasted for what felt like minutes, although it was more likely just a few seconds. Then, a small blue light spawned above it's eyes. It was like a small spark that eventually grew into a flare.

As the light grew, a blue hue began to brighten everything in the space, starting with the creature. The light revealed… a black horn on the creature? A black horn with holes that ran all over it? I couldn’t hide the confusion on my face as the light continued to reveal the horned creature.

The wandering light displayed a pair of skinny black ears on the top of its head, along with a fanged muzzle and scales along the back of the creature's upper neck. The only contrasting features to the creature’s dark skin was its pearly white fangs and large blue eyes that seemed to be disproportionate for its size.

As each feature was revealed by the light, I could feel my jaw continuously fall.

The blue flare’s hue from the creature’s horn spread to its black body and revealed the strange shell that laid atop its back, along with a pair of transparent, hole-filled blue wings. The last features revealed from the darkness was the creature’s long porous legs, and its short black tail.

When I finally was able to see the creature in its entirety, I immediately thought about how it looked like the love-child of a small horse and bug. I internally laughed, at the thought. It had the body and muzzle of a small horse, but with features one would expect from some type of night bug.

Also, I realized how I was barely scared of it. I mean sure, it was something I’d never seen before and had fangs, but it was actually.... kind of adorable. I hate saying that, but the thing looked like it could do barely any harm and even looked a little comical in my eyes.

As I continued to look over the strange creature in front of me, the light spread to the rest of the space, revealing all the identical bug creatures. There were about 7 others in total.

But, my attention was still fixed on the one bug-horse in front of me. I just stared at it in an eerie silence before it finally said “You should get up, Queen Chrysalis cap-”

I didn’t even listen to the rest of whatever that thing said. I immediately began to black out from the sudden shock of hearing the strange thing’s voice, obviously to the sudden shock of the bug creatures who raced over to my collapsing body. My vision quickly blurred, yet I could still see the concern in their faces and postures, as well as their muffled yelling. Then, everything went to that familiar darkness.