• Published 14th Jan 2017
  • 8,326 Views, 1,116 Comments

Resurgence - BronyWriter



Prince Antares must cope with the world around him.

  • ...
35
 1,116
 8,326

Precious

I'd never really had a positive view of the Grand Galloping Gala. Back when I'd been a human, it was where I was 1. hit on by a pony for the first time, 2. told that I could never go home to my family, and 3. punched my now-wife and mother of my daughter in the face for the second time before my sister-in-law and mother of my other daughter snapped my spine over the back of a chair. Things had changed a lot since then, obviously. I wasn't even thirty yet and already I'd learned to not eve try to guess what direction your life would take. I was now ruling a nation, my sister was the chaos god, I'd conquered an entire country, brought human weapons to the land, and, and this is totally irrelevant, I can now make a killer cheesecake.

Anyway, back to the Gala, and the reason I hated it more than anything: it was boring. So, so boring.

And now my sister the chaos god would be attending.

This was going to be interesting.

I adjusted my suit jacket and checked myself in the mirror one last time. My mane and tail didn't really need to be styled, nor could they be, if I'm being honest, Not like I could run a comb through an ethereal mane. In any case, I looked at least presentable for the Gala.

I walked out of Celestia's room to see Kristen waiting for me. She was wearing a simple sky-blue dress with her blue mane done up in a ponytail. She was wearing some kind of simple chain necklace, but I couldn't see if it was holding anything. She sighed and began following me down the hall.

"So this is just five-thirty to nine, right? Not past that?"

I tilted my head. "Yeah, those are the official times. Ponies tend to start leaving at around eight/eight-thirty, so the ballroom is pretty empty by the time we actually hit nine. The only ponies left are the ones who are trying to make allegiances or discuss business and the like." Noticing her glum expression, I smiled at her and put my wing on her back. "Us alicorns have to stay until the last guest has left, but I don't think that anypony would notice or care if you slipped out a bit earlier."

Kristen let out a sigh of relief and ran a wing down her face. "Thank goodness. This kind of thing isn't really my type of gathering." She raised an eyebrow and tilted her head. "Unless there's going to be something entertaining there?"

I sadly shook my head. "No, I'm afraid not. There's some quiet classical music with the occasional slow dance song, hors d'oeuvres to nibble on, and weak cocktails." I looked at Kristen out of the corner of my eye. "Although, I'm not sure about you drinking at all until you have a better grasp on your powers. I don't even want to know what you'd be like drunk with your powers."

Kristen scoffed and waved a wing at me. "Come on, do you even think I can get drunk? I know that you can't."

"I can, but it would take a drink strong enough to kill a normal pony," I admitted. "As in, 'one teeny-tiny sip would get them blackout drunk and anything more than that would kill them' kind of strong."

Kristen let out an amused scoff. "Seriously? How do you know that?"

Celestia and Luna made some in their younger, wilder days." I smirked and shook my head. "Suffice to say, the Everfree Forest wasn't always that bad."

"Geez," Kristen muttered as we neared the throne room. "I'm going to guess that they never made that again."

"'Made', no," I said. "'Have the bottle somewhere they haven't even told me about', yes."

"Dang, dude."

It was then that Kristen and I reached the throne room. The guards opened it up for us, revealing Celestia and Luna standing by the throne and talking among each other. They had their respective daughters on their backs.

"Ah, good evening, Antares," Celestia said, turning to me with a smile. "Are you ready for tonight's festivities?"

"As ready as I can be," I replied with a shrug. "Shouldn't be the worst, right?"

Or maybe it would be. There would likely be less attendance than years past. A lot of noble children died in the war, and the parents wouldn't ever forgive us for that. There was no way that I was seeing Count Vichy, for example. Probably ever again, if he had anything to say about it.

Overall, though, there would still be enough ponies that the Gala would technically worth it. Even if the Gala was a bit dry, it was an absolute social goldmine, both for us and the ponies attending. Alliances, business deals, and even marriages had either been arranged or at least started at the Gala more times than I could count, and that was just in the few short years I'd been ruling. I didn't expect this year to be any different. Now that the war had ended, the nobility would adjust, as they always did during tumultuous times. So one family lost all of its heirs. Another would pop into place. Several families had profited off of the war considerably, and that would influence the night as well.

Basically, the outside sees the Gala as a party for the rich to drink expensive cocktails and listen to some classical music with a little bit of well-mannered dancing thrown in for good measure, and that did happen, obviously. There was just a ton of political intrigue as well. Honestly, the crowns tried to stay out of it as much as we could, but we definitely kept an ear to the floor on all of it.

Regardless, we were in for a sort of interesting/mostly boring night.

"I'm a little jealous of Maia and Nymeria," I admitted. "They don't actually have to be there."

"True, but I do not think that they would find the Gala particularly interesting, and I do not want to see what it looks like when two alicorn foals are bored out of their minds," Celestia pointed out. "The strike me as the types to find their own entertainment."

"And we want this Gala to go relatively smoothly," I replied. My mouth creased into a slight frown. "Which is why I'm not totally sure of why you're inviting the Elements and Starlight."

"On top of it being good that they're getting out a bit more after the war, it will give me the first opportunity in some time to reconnect with Twilight, as well as observe how Starlight is coming along," Celestia explained. "Besides, Applejack is helping with the catering. I feel that she could use the money we're paying her for the farm. On top of that, it would be strange to only invite three of them."

"Makes sense, I guess," I said with a shrug. "Well, it's almost five-thirty, so the first guests should start to be trickling into the ballroom."

"That means places," Luna muttered. She lifted Maia off of her back with her magic and smiled at her. "Mommy has to do her job now, my dearest daughter. You be good for your foalsitter." Maia babbled a little foal-talk and put her tiny hoof on Luna's muzzle. Luna laughed and nuzzled her daughter before hoofing her over to a female bat pony while Celestia gave Nymeria to her nanny. Both mares bowed and left the room with the foals, who didn't take their eyes off of us and let out a few grunts that told me they'd be fussing soon once they realized that Mommy and Daddy weren't there.

It always made me feel bad whenever we left them with a sitter. They never liked it either, despite the connections they'd made with their nannies.

"Well..." I took a deep breath and turned toward the door. "Time to face the music."

"This is gonna suuuuuuck," Kristen whispered to herself.

"It's only for a few hours," Celestia said with a grimace.

Despite our worries, the guards opened up the throne room doors for us and we walked out of the throne room.

* * * *

By the time we made it to the ballroom, there was already a line of ponies waiting to greet us. I nodded to Luna and Antares, and they each took their positions. One of the wonderful things about having more than one royal for once was that we could speed through the greeting process much faster than in years past, which left me more time to talk to Twilight. Kristen spotted Applejack and Rainbow Dash milling among the food tables and made her way over to them. Good. The more ponies she could interact and become friends with, the better things would be here for her, chaos god or no.

I made eye contact with Twilight, who smiled and nodded back to me. She was conversing with both Fluttershy and Starlight Glimmer. From the initial reports I'd been given, Starlight had been on her best behavior during her parole, and she'd even become close with one of Pinkie Pie's sisters, of all ponies.

I pushed those thoughts aside as I turned to the first ponies in my line. Antares and Luna were already greeting theirs.

"Mister Jet Set. Miss Upper Crust. How lovely to see you again."

* * * *

It's too bad that Applejack and Rainbow Dash had to go off to help with the catering, because they were probably the most interesting ponies to talk to here. If there were two ponies most like me, it would probably be the two of them. Ah well, maybe I can just hide in the background near the food tables until it wasn't a faux pas for me to leave.

I grimaced and put my hoof to my chest, feeling the ring on the chain. I know that I told Bob that it might be good or bad that I'd actually managed to pull it off, but the back of my mind was starting to tip the meter in the "bad" category. I mean... it's the One Ring. Of course, all that I'd ever seen it do was turn me invisible, so maybe I hadn't actually managed to create something evil. I'd wanted to just leave it in my room, but something told me that I shouldn't; like somebody would break into my room and steal it if I wasn't watching it at all times.

I pushed those thoughts out of my mind. Whatever. It'd be fine. I'd have it right next to me for the next few hours, then I'd go back to my room and find some way to lock it away forever or destroy it. Maybe stick to only creating, I dunno, seven-layer cakes, or something like that. It might not have been a good idea to push myself right away.

I took a tiny plate off of the table and placed a few little appetizers on it. Applejack had made some pretty good looking fritters and tiny, bite-sized apple pies, so I'd at least have something to nibble on. And hey, if I liked them, I could practice making them in my room! It's not like I could gain any weight from only eating sugary stuff. Not that I did, I'd started craving more leafy things since becoming a pony, but the point stands.

Just as I was about to head on over to the cocktails, I heard somebody clear their throat behind me. I turned around to see a pretty-boy unicorn stallion with perfectly slicked blonde hair, tan fur, and what I could only describe as a smile that he probably thought was charming on his face. I forced a smile on my face and nodded at him.

"Um... hi."

"Hello, fair maiden," he said with a voice that was a cross between Frank Sinatra and a used car salesman. "My name is Golden Banks, son of Duke Money Banks, the head of the largest banks in Canterlot."

My already brittle smile threatened to shatter completely. "Uh. Cool. Good for you."

"Yes it has had its advantages," he said with a light laugh. "We were instrumental in helping fund the Equestrian army during the war. One might even say that the war would have dragged on far longer and been much costlier if we hadn't done our heroic part and partnered with the Equestrian government to do whatever we could to defend our home."

"W... wow," I said, my eyes darting around to see if I couldn't find some reason to excuse myself. He struck me as the type of guy who could go on about how great he was for hours unless I found a way to stop him. Preferably without using any of my chaos powers, but if push really came to shove...

"But enough about me--" Yes please. "You are Prince Antares's sister, am I correct?"

"Yep, he's my brother. Has been his entire life."

"Ah, so you are the older sibling?" He chuckled. "Very interesting. I did not know that. Tell me: do the two of you have any other siblings?"

"Uh, no, it's just us," I said, slowly beginning to back away.

"Well then you must be delighted to be reunited after all these years, Your Majesty," he replied, taking a step toward me. "My father and I agree that it is good for somepony in his... unique situation to thrive. A stranger to this world and now royalty." He tilted his head to me. "Much like yourself."

"Right." I turned away from him and tried focusing on what else I wanted to pile on my plate. I let out an almost inaudible sigh when I saw him light his horn and grab a plate of his own.

"And then he married our fair Princess Celestia. My father and I did not object to the match. It was wonderful to see a mare who has been through so much find true love," he continued. "All of Equestria has benefited. True love is something that is in short supply these days. Now you'll usually only find stories of handsome stallions sweeping lovely maidens of their hooves in stories, I'm afraid."

Okay... he'd really better not be going where I think he is.

"So you read a lot of romance novels, then?" I asked with the barest of smirks.

His oily grin flickered ever so slightly. "W-well no, but one does hear the fairy tales and the like."

"Right." I finished loading up my plate and began making my way to the punch fountain. I had hoped that he'd take the hint and not follow me, but I didn't expect him to, if I'm being honest.

"Now, then," he said, breaking me out of my thoughts. "It is an affront to decency that a fair maiden such as yourself is unaccompanied to a gathering like this."

Crap.

"I would certainly like to get to know you better. You looked lonely at the food table." He moved so that he was facing me and extended his hoof. "If you will allow me, I would love to be your escort through the evening."

Keep calm, Kristen. He probably doesn't know any better. He's probably used to mares swooning all over him. Maybe this is just his way of getting an "in" with my brother. Whatever the case, he doesn't care at all about me as a person. Just a means to an end. I step closer to him, give him a sad smile, put my hoof on his shoulder, and shake my head.

"No. Just... no."

* * * *

A brief lull in the line allowed Twilight to finally come up to me for a conversation. Luna and Antares only had a few ponies left themselves, so we might be able to enjoy the Gala for a short time. No doubt more ponies would show up in due time, but for the next few minutes at least, I had a chance to take a breather. I smiled as Twilight left Starlight with Fluttershy and Pinkie Pie and walked up to me.

"Princess Celestia, it's wonderful to see you again," Twilight said as I leaned down for a nuzzle. "We don't get together enough."

"We certainly don't," I agreed. "Either I need to come to Ponyville more, or you need to come to Canterlot."

Twilight smirked and rolled her eyes. "Probably Canterlot. Ponies in Ponyville are getting better about you being around, especially with you married to TD, but I wouldn't put it past them to try to make something of a ceremony."

I made a light affirming grunt. "Most likely." I chuckled and looked over to Antares. "It is strange to hear you call him TD. Neither of us have seen him that way for many years."

"Yeah, but that's how we knew him when he was living in Ponyville, and he doesn't rule from there," Twilight pointed out. "We never really got to really see that transition."

"True." My smile faded slightly as my gaze flickered over to Starlight. "And how is your... student?"

Thankfully, Twilight's smile didn't fade. "She's been doing really good, actually. I think that she kind of lost her way and didn't have anypony there to really help her through it, and that's why she did what she did in her town."

"Well, I'm certainly glad to hear that," I said, my smile returning. "I hate to see a mare of her talents in a prison. She can do much good."

"I agree," Twilight replied with a nod. "It's not to say that there haven't been some temptations to slip back into her old ways, especially regarding her opinions on cutie marks. We've done a lot of work on that, and she's starting to come out of that opinion."

"Good. And she's making friends?"

Twilight perked up a little more. "Oh yeah, definitely! Pinkie Pie's sister Maud is in Ponyville to study, uh, rocks, and her and Starlight have hit it off. I think having a real connection with another pony has really helped her."

"That's wonderful."

Antares would likely be pleased by that news as well. In my discussions with him, I found that he harbored no hard feelings against her for what had happened in her village. Maybe it was just compassion, or maybe it was just his mindset after the war, but regardless, he will be happy to learn that Starlight is doing well. Maybe we could even shorten her parole...

I filed those thoughts away for the moment and continued talking to Twilight about less serious topics.

* * * *

"N-no?"

"Yeah, no."

Golden Banks blinked at me as though I'd just said that his father was lying to him and that the family was actually broke. His mouth twitched as though he wanted to give me another charming smile, but he just couldn't do it.

"Is... is your heart set on another, or do you find me repulsive in some way or...?"

"I may be a mare, but that doesn't mean that I'm some weakling who has to be 'escorted' everywhere," I growled. "I'm mostly here because my brother asked." I looked down at my plate and grabbed a tiny apple pie which I promptly ate. I gave an approving noise. It was pretty good.

"W-well, Princess Kristen, 'escort' may have been the wrong word choice," he sputtered as I turned to walk away from him. "We can at least have normal, casual conversation throughout the night, can we not?"

"About your dad and his bank?" I grumbled.

"Ah... no, we do not have to discuss that. I apologize." He cleared his throat and put on a little speed to catch up to me. "There are certainly other topics we can touch on. Your time in your home dimension, perhaps? Stories about your brother?"

I growled and squeezed my eyes shut. "Okay, first of all--"

Turns out that closing my eyes wasn't the best move. I didn't notice that I was swerving, and scraped the side of a pole hard enough that I heard my dress tear. I guess I hit it pretty hard if my dress tore, but I didn't actually feel any pain. I yelped more in shock than anything else. The impact knocked my off of my hooves.

The dull chatter that had been filling the ballroom instantly stopped when they all heard the sound of silly old me slamming into a pole. Even the music stopped. I gave them all an embarrassed look and blushed.

"Uh, sorry, everybody. Uh, not used to a pony body. Had too much punch." I waved at them. "So, you can get back to whatever it was you were doing."

They did start muttering again, and the music started back up, but I had a general idea of what they were talking about. Equestria's newest princess running into a pole like an idiot at the most prestigious social event of the year. Great.

As I stood up, I saw Rarity walking up to us, her eyes wide. Probably because of the dress.

"Oh, darling, your dress!" Got it. She took my hoof and began pulling me toward a side room. "You simply must let me repair it."

"Uh, yeah, probably a good idea," I said, trying to ignore the stares I was getting. When we reached an empty side room, I groaned and facepalmed... hooved... whatever. "Not my best moment."

Rarity chuckled and pulled out a small sewing kit that she had hidden in her dress somewhere. "I know how that can be. Don't worry, they'll likely forget about it when some other event comes along that grabs their attention."

"How long will that take?" I asked as she began sewing up the tear in my dress. Thankfully it wasn't too bad.

Rarity grimaced. "Oh... perhaps a few Galas from now."

I let out a frustrated sigh and rubbed my temple with my wing. "Wonderful. Maybe they'll stop hitting on me now, then."

Rarity let out a sad smile. "Yes, I'm afraid that most of them are rabid social climbers. Marrying the newest princess of Equestria would be a huge gain for them." Rarity let out an amused scoff as she finished sewing the hole shut. "In fact, your brother received such offers not long after he ascended."

"Bet that was fun for him," I said with a roll of my eyes. "Good thing he didn't take any of them up on it. He seems happy with Celestia."

"Yes, and I'm glad for it," Rarity replied. "They both look much happier, and little Nymeria is just as cute as a button!"

My smile was actually genuine at that. "Yeah, she really is. Both of the fillies are." I snorted in amusement. "It's a weird life we lead. Really weird."

"No doubt. As a mare who has been called upon to save the world several times over and was the target of an assassination attempt, I know better than most that life rarely goes the way you expect," Rarity said.

"Too true." I shook my head and poked at where Rarity had repaired my dress. "Thank you for this, by the way. I'm not sure what I would have done if I co--"

My eyes widened and my pupils shrunk to pinpricks. Uh... uuuhhhh. No. No no no. When I ran my hoof over the part of my neck where the chain holding the ring used to be, I felt nothing. I squeaked and patted the front of my dress hoping that it had maybe gotten stuck there. No such luck.

"Is something the matter, darling?" Rarity asked. "You look like you've seen a ghost."

"Uh..." I gulped and began walking out of the side room. "I kinda lost something. Should have landed somewhere when I hit the pole."

"What did you lose?" Rarity asked, tilting her head.

"It's this ring I had," I replied as we reached the pole I'd run into. "It was on a chain I had around my neck when--"

I groaned when I looked at the floor. The pieces of my chain were there, but the ring was nowhere to be found. Neither was Golden Banks so that was a plus, but he might be the one who found it. I tilted my head to look under the table, but no dice.

"Well darling, that's terrible!" Rarity said. "I will of course help you find it. What does it look like?"

"It's just a plain golden ring," I replied as I looked under the next table over. "It's super, super, super important that I find it right away."

"Well fear not, darling," Rarity said, lighting her horn. "I shall not rest until that ring is back in your possession."

* * * *

I took a sip of punch and shook my head as I looked around the ballroom. As a filly I'd heard of the Grand Galloping Gala before, but I never thought I'd actually go! A lot had happened in the past few months since Prince Antares and his sister had come to my village. Most of it was good, if I'm being honest. I certainly wouldn't have made a friend like Maud where I was from.

I drained the last of my punch and was about to go back to the punch fountain when I felt something bump my hoof. I frowned and looked down to see a plain gold ring on the floor next to my hoof. Huh. Weird. I lit my horn and picked it up to examine it. It didn't look like anything special. Just a plain gold ring. Somepony had probably lost it. Maybe there was a lost and found or a guard I could give it to or something.

Still, the ring felt... weird. Not quite right. My instincts were starting to twinge a little. This thing wasn't some ancient artifact, right?

"Hey, Starlight." I turned to see Twilight walking over to me. She motioned to the ring. "Whatcha got there?"

"Just some ring I found on the floor," I replied, holding it up to the light. "Not sure who it belongs to."

"Hmm. Weird," Twilight replied. "Maybe it's--"

She lit her horn and took it in her magic. The second her magical aura touched it, her eyes widened and she flinched back with a small cry.

"What... is this?"

I frowned and tilted my head. "Um... it's just a normal ring, right?"

"No, no it's not." Twilight beckoned me to follow her into a side room. She wasn't being paranoid, was she? I mean, sure, I'd felt that it was a bit off, but it didn't feel like there was any reason to flinch back like I'd been electrocuted. When Twilight was sure we were alone, she shut the door behind us and began casting spells on the ring.

"This isn't just a normal ring, Starlight. This is something else."

I scoffed and rolled my eyes. "Yeah, I figured that out when you started freaking out."

"Yeah, but..." She frowned and held the ring up. "It's definitely magical, but it isn't like any magic I've ever felt. The closest thing that I can compare it to is chaos magic, but even that's not quite right. I'd be able to feel it if this was Discord's doing."

"So is it a different form of magic or just a different signature?" I asked.

"That's the thing: I'm not totally sure," Twilight muttered. "I'm not even sure if it's dark magic or chaos magic or what." She nodded and lowered the ring to eye-level. "I think we need to tell Princess Celestia about this. She'll know what to do."

Now, obviously that was the right move. If anypony knew anything about something like this, it was Princess Celestia. On the other hoof... that somehow seemed like a bad idea.

"Maybe we should wait on that," I said, taking a step toward Twilight. "I mean, this is the Grand Galloping Gala, after all. The last thing we want to do is cause some kind of a panic in case somepony overhears us talking to Princess Celestia about some potentially dark artifact that we've found."

Twilight bit her lip, but didn't look away from the ring. "I mean, a panic wouldn't be the worst thing in case we need to deal with this fast, but..." She shook her head and rubbed one of her eyes. "Maybe we could just... take it to my room and study it a little more. You know, just to see what we have. If it's benign then there's no reason to cause a scene, right?"

"Right, right," I replied with a nod. "Plus if it is bad then there's two of us to study it. One of us can go get Princess Celestia if it goes wrong. One of us tries to control it while the other one gets help?"

Twilight shook her head. "I don't know if that's the best idea. What if... one of us accidentally, I don't know, activates it somehow and hurts the other pony?"

"But at the same time, it's best if you have backup," I countered. "Maybe it's powerful enough that it takes two high-level unicorns to stop it."

"Or I could do research on it and you can see who it may belong to," Twilight suggested. "If we find that out, we'd probably discover everything about it, right?"

I frowned. "Who made you the decision maker in this situation? I have some magical training, too. I've even done some study on magical artifacts."

"I was taught by Celestia herself," Twilight replied. "Trust me: if anypony can figure out what this thing is, it's me."

"How humble of you," I muttered under my breath. "I still think that I can at least help."

"I just said how you can help," Twilight growled. "You can find whose ring this is."

"No dice," I snapped. "It might be too dangerous for you to handle alone. You felt what it was like when you touched it for the first time: you flinched like you'd been hit with a cattle prod."

Twilight glared at me and floated the ring farther away from me. "That's just because I wasn't prepared for it."

"Okay, how about this?" I said icily. "Let's compromise and tell Princess Celestia about it. Then she can deal with it by herself."

Twilight's glare hardened, and I glared right back at her. It was better if I helped her with the ring, and she knew it. After a moment, she let out a frustrated sigh. "Fine. You can help. You have to follow my instructions though, got it?"

I rolled my eyes at her. "Yes, Princess Twilight."

Twilight scoffed but didn't reply to my little barb. She just wordlessly turned and walked out of the room toward her tower. In our frustration, neither of us noticed the multicolored spots that had appeared on the floor beneath us.