• Published 16th Nov 2016
  • 2,060 Views, 11 Comments

Twilight's Hourglass - Lunatone



Twilight wakes up after 100 years of unconsciousness.

  • ...
9
 11
 2,060

- i - Twilight’s Hourglass

An immense pressure bore on Twilight’s head. It felt as though an anvil were atop her, weighing her down. The world swam into focus. All around her were thousands of strange blobs of colours, mixing and weaving and colliding into one another. Soon they all faded away. Her mind told her she was home, back in her personal chambers, sleeping the night away, but that she had been disturbed by something. Surely she would just fall back to sleep.

When she reluctantly raised her head, her eyes adapted to the dim light shafting through the window. Outside was a clear night sky, with only a full moon and a few scattered stars.

When the momentary confusion as to where she was passed, the cold, hard reality struck her like a train. It obliterated her. She did everything she could to find a clock or a calendar that might be in the room she was in, but she wasn’t able to do much right there and then.

Memories of the past surged through her, drowning her in a torrent of horror. Her friends. Spike. And…Minuette. No! Surely she’d be elderly by now, much like the rest of her friends. Where were they, and more importantly, where was Minuette?

In her dreams, Twilight had hoped she would see her when she woke up. She could even recollect her hearing Minuette’s words of reassurance that she’d be there when she woke up and that life would get back on track.

She had thought wrong.

Twilight’s stomach grumbled. Rolling on her side, she saw a pile of get well cards and packages on a rickety table. An hourglass pendant set in a golden necklace rested atop the pile. A knot formed in her throat and it felt as though her heart had sunk; it was the first gift Minuette had given Twilight after their relationship had bloomed from the ground up.

Taking a deep breath, Twilight said, “Minuette?” Her voice was hoarse and feeble, no doubt from dehydration and a parched throat. She spoke onward regardless. “Where are you?”

She had to get up and drink something, water preferably, but her muscles felt heavy and they protested her incentive to get up. Was there any point in getting up? But she prevailed and stood on her wobbly hooves. There was a sink not too far from her, and she turned on the tap, unleashing a stream of water. She drank it as if it were the last water she’d ever get; but she knew it was justified.

Soon after, she managed to pull herself to the stack of cards and packages her friends sent. They must’ve stopped sending them at some point, right? By the looks of it, it only looks as though there were only one sent by each of her friends.

A swirl of thoughts coursed through Twilight’s mind as she wondered if they had abandoned her altogether, knowing that she would never wake up, or, if she did, it would be after they had passed. Perhaps, they moved on with their lives while still feeling the subtle guilt of having left their friend behind—but not enough to dwell on it.

Ironically, Twilight’s magic was clumsily and cumbersome as she cast a spell to take the necklace on top of the packages and set it aside. Squeezing her eyes closed, she took ahold of them and started scattering them; throwing them in random directions, causing some of them to break open, its contents spilling, when it hit the ground. She felt paralysed and numb on the inside, as if a piece of her were segregated from her very ethereal being. On the back of her eyelids, visions of the past flashed in every direction, recalling joyous times that had happened so long ago, a lifetime ago.

Three of the packages had been scattered. She stopped and wheezed for air. She collapsed under her own weight, and it felt as though she had swallowed an anvil. Several minutes of silence tore through the room, and contemplation rose from the faces of ponies she knew were no long living. Momentarily, she pondered if all those great times with her friends really did happen, or if it had all been a dream.

Twilight grabbed the pendant that Minuette had given her all those years ago. She kept it close, and her vision was soon blurred by tears. Oddly enough, she had caught sight of a note on the floor, undoubtedly from all the thrashing from earlier on. She scooped it up her magic, opened it, and read it.

Twilight,

I cannot say how hard this was for me to write. I know when you read this I will be…gone. Dead from some time. I have been searching for the words to express how I feel about you, but I can’t. My quill isn’t my heart. Every time I’ve tried, it feels so shallow. So meaningless in comparison to the words we shared before you had your crazy idea.

I don’t get it, Twi. Why did you have to make a potion to put you in a permanent sleep for Celestia only knows how long? Why? When you made it, you even said you were unsure how long it would keep you unconscious. Turns out it ended up being far longer than any of us could imagine.

I’m not going to lie by saying I am doing fine, because, truthfully, I am not. The world is cold without you here; yet the memories we shared together have and will always warm my heart. I imagine it is nothing compared to the pain you will feel once you wake up, that is, if you ever do. I wish I could be there to see you open your beautiful eyes once more, comfort you to know that everything will be okay, and hold you like we use to; but I’m afraid my time is near. Death is calling me.

All of your friends are saddened that you decided to do what you did. Obviously. Can you blame them? We tried everything and we just couldn’t wake you…Me, though…I understood your reasoning. Cadence and Shining Armor are taking it the hardest, knowing their sister is in a coma. You’ll see Cadence again, but I’m not sure about your brother.

You’re probably wondering about Spike…He…he went away. To his own mountain. I don’t think he ever stopped caring about you, though. Although he wouldn’t say it outright now, you were his mother.

And Twilight…although I am saddened you were gone for most of my life…I’m kind of glad in a way. It is for the best. I never would have wanted you to see me die. I never would have wanted to die in front of you or hear the news when I do pass.

All of us, including your other friends, had planned to write you only one letter. But I think we each wrote more than that. Isn’t it funny how much you wished you could tell a loved one after they’re gone? You’d think you tell them everything, just before they leave, only to realize just after that, there was more to be said.

We each gave you something to remember us by and placed it in small boxes. You just have to open them and see what’s there. I’m not going to spoil anything. I placed my remembrance on top for you. I’m sure you know what it is. I chose to give you the pendant of my cutie mark attached to the gold necklace my grandmother gave me when I was just a filly.

I wish I could elucidate the the joy I held in my heart for the time we spent together. Hopefully all the of my other letters will make up for what this one lacked.

I’ll love you always.

Minuette.

Twilight wiped her eyes clear of the tears that were forming. Slowly, Twilight had gathered all the remainder of the boxes, thanking Celestia she didn’t destroy her friends’ last gifts in her sorrowful rage. Amongst them was another note left by Minuette.

She paid special attention to it and ignored the others, even though it put a stake through her heart, she had to read what Minuette wrote.

Hey, Twilight.

It’s me again. I’m not sure how to put this…but I’m dying…Doc says I only have one day left before I kick the dust. I am writing this letter to you, on my deathbed, as my last words to you. Just so you know, Twilight…you’ve been in a deep sleep for 100 years.

There’s nothing much for me to say, and I can’t think of anything more to write. The only thing I can think of is a little poem. Just for you. I’m no poet and I sure as hell ain’t no writer, but it’s the only thing that’ll express how much I care for you and how painful it was when I lost you. When you left me.

So I wrote it. I…you should know that…my memorial will be right behind your castle. So you and I will never be far from each other.

I hope you like the poem.

Remember, Twilight. Your friends and I may be gone now, but keep your chin up and smile. Smile because you had the chance to meet some awesome ponies and even fall in love with one.

Twilight averted her gaze from the letter and propped herself back on her bed. She took a moment to respire before reading on.

Time is cruel.
And so are you.

It’s an empty valley in our hearts,
The sun, it slowly sets as we walk,
Away from all the fears,
And faults we left behind,
With only memories,
Sparked by us.

We go our separate ways, letting time take us away;
But time can never erase history,
For it is set in stone,
Like our bond we shared.

So, now, we can bathe in the warmth of our memories,
When it flies to hereafter,
And hides in its beautiful grace,
So it can always be shared by two,
When only one remains.

When you need a little smile,
To brighten up your day,
Look up and see the sun rise,
To see my brilliantly shining grin.

When you need a hug,
Embrace the sun’s warmth,
And feel my bosom.

If you need a gentle nuzzle,
Feel the wind on your cheeks,
For I am there.

If you are scared and cannot sleep,
I’ll sing you a lullaby,
In night’s embrace,
And you will dream,
Of me.

So, now then,
Lift the weight,
Of the world,
From your shoulders again,
And go wherever the wind takes you,
Far from me…

Twilight violently shut her eyes as tight as she possibly could, trying to ward off the onslaught emotion trying to escape. She forcefully rolled up the letter and placed it aside with the other packages. She kept Minuette’s charm close, lest she forget her memory, her existence, the impact she had bore on her.

But oddly enough, despite everything, her heart was lighter than before, as if a weight had been displaced. Opening her eyes once more and staring at the pendant, she saw the sand seeped in the jewelled-hourglass. An unbeknownst fatigue pulled her down. She lay down and rested her head on the pillow—tilting her head toward the clear night sky. She let the memories surge through the mind.

A few hours had passed, and the sun…it was slowly rising over the horizon. The warmth of the sunlight washed over Twilight, sending chills down her spines at the remembrance of Minuette’s poem. She smiled at the waning sun, setting the Equestrian vista ablaze with orange and red light.

Through her lidded eyes, she continued to see the light embrace her, before slowly drifting to a peaceful sleep.

Comments ( 11 )

That was fucking heavy...

I feel like there's an anvil on me, jeez. Another awesome fic, Lunatone. Keep it up; I look forward to your next work.

I don’t get it, Twi. Why did you have to make a potion to put you in a permanent sleep for Celestia only knows how long?

Only Twilight would do these kind of things.

di...did she die at the end

I don’t get it, Twi.

I'm with Minuette on this one. Why would one want to do this? :rainbowhuh:

I like this idea. But there are some things that but me.

1. Minutte doesn't need to be in the story. It would make more sense if it was about the Main 5.
2. There really isn't a reason for Twilight to do what she did by drinking that potion.
3. The story is way to short. We don't really get to see anything. That is something that does bug me. She going and exploring the world. And having to go and meet with Celestia and Luna.
4. Then lastly. She's an Alicorn. But yet she saids that i should be all old now. This could be used for the advantage of the story. Have her have to come to grips with her immortality. But if you do this her body would of have to grown as. Into more of the body type Celestia, Luna and Cadence have.

So yeah i like the idea of it. But not so much the execution of it. I still enjoyed some parts of it

7726040

Fair enough.

The story isn't perfect by all means.

I appreciate your thoughts.

7726163 Well with the Minuette thing. I feel like it should have been one of the main 5. Or even Shinning. It would make us feel a lot more sorry for Twilight. Minuette she isn't really a big character. If this was a sequel to another story. And Minuette was a main character in that. I feel like it would make more sense. But having a character that has very little relationship with her. It makes us less sad for the readers. Having her brother have to tell her goodbye while he was on his deathbed that pulls at the strings more.

And with the Potion i guess there could be a reason. But there is really no way for us to try and guess what it is. For all we know it could have been that she drank it to defeat a bad guy or maybe she just got really drunk. I understand its meant to be open. But a lot of the time when people do open things like that. They give a little reasoning for it. The way Minuette said it just made it sound like she did it cause she felt like it. Could have done something such as " Why did you have to go and be the hero" ( Sorry if that's crap i always hated having to write stories. Or any thing with a plot in it) But having something like that would leave it open and us guessing.

I did enjoy the story. And funny that you said it wasn't a attack on me. I was worried that the way i wrote the comment would seem like i'm being to critical. But i did enjoy the story there is

P.s sorry if grammar bad. Been up all night being sick. Really shouldn't even be up right now.

Read this right after Letters, jeez, all these sadfics are killing my heart :raritydespair:

On an unrelated note, great job with these stories you're writing recently, Lun, they're really great~ :twilightsmile:

Well that was deep...

I gotta admit, it was a nice read :fluttercry:

Lunatone you are a legend!!! This is only 1 of 2 story's that has got me to cry. Grait work on the story!!!

Login or register to comment