• Published 11th Nov 2016
  • 737 Views, 5 Comments

Just One Song - X3n0heart



What if you were told that you only have one more day to live?

  • ...
0
 5
 737

A Wish Granted

How would you spend what time you had left if you were told that you only have a single day left to live? For one young filly it was to sing her song in front of everypony. But let's go back a bit and explain what transpired not so long ago. Sweetie Belle was just like every other filly save for two very special friends and being the co-creator of the Cutie Mark Crusaders.

Her passion was singing and would often be found around town just singing her favorite songs or creating new ones just for fun. It was during one of her school's plays that started the down fall of her health. During her solo, a sharp pain in her throat caused her to collapse as she suddenly lost her voice before being rushed to the hospital. Within a few hours, with lots of tests, the doctors figured out what has caused Sweetie so much pain.

It was a cancerous tumor that had formed in her throat. It would eventually grow, causing her much pain and discomfort and ultimately lead to her death if left untreated. The doctors suggested that while it was small they should operate, removing it before it got any larger. Unfortunately it comes with the risk of losing her voice permanently, which Sweetie Belle flat out refused. They gave her some medicine to take that might slow it down and told her to think about it.

A few weeks went by and even though her family and friends still tried to convince her to do the operation, Sweetie would not be swayed as her mind was already set. Losing her voice was not an option for her. She wouldn't be able to sing ever again and she couldn't help but think about how horrible that would be.

Some days she felt fine, went to school, played with her friends and pretended everything was okay. Other days the pain was to bearable to even speak and would stay home in bed. The medicine seemed to stop working and at her last check up the doctors said that it has grown to large for them to operate now. Later that night Rarity sat her sister down to have a talk with her.

"Sweetie Belle, could you come down here for a minute?" Rarity called from the kitchen. Hearing the light hoof steps of her little sister coming down the stairs tugged at all the mixed emotions running through her.

"What is it, sis?" Sweetie asked as she entered through the door way.

"Have a seat, Sweetie," Rarity pointed a hoof to one of the chairs at the table. Sweetie trotted over and jumped up into it as Rarity took one opposite of her. Taking a deep breath Rarity tried to calm herself down a little before continuing. "Sweetie Belle, what am I going to do...?" She started off as a worried look filled her eyes. Sweetie Bell just looked down at the table not really having an answer for her sister.

"I don't know, Rarity."

"This can't be the end. There has to be another way," Rarity pleaded hoping she had an answer, any answer for her.

"But there isn't any."

"Why didn't you just take the operation?" Rarity asked as her voice started to quiver slightly.

"Because!" Sweetie replied as she looked back up and over to her sister. "What would you do if something happened and you couldn't make dresses any more?" Her point was valid which made Rarity turn away from her. "Rarity, please," Sweetie continued, "please understand that I couldn't go through with something like that."

Rarity's eyes started to water as she turned back to Sweetie Belle, nodding to her little sister that she understood. Sweetie Belle hopped down off the chair and walked over to her big sister. Reaching up she wrapped her hooves around her and held her tightly, Rarity equally returning the embrace.

"I love you, big sis!" Sweetie Belle exclaimed as her eyes teared up.

"I love you too, Sweetie. Is there anything I can do for you?"

Nodding, Sweetie Belle let go of her sister and stood in front of her. "Actually there is. I have written a song and would like to sing it for everypony, before...before..." Rarity placed a hoof on her sister's shoulder and gave her a smile even though tears were falling down her cheeks.

"I'll talk to Twilight and see what we can do."

"Thank you," Sweetie said before her face twisted with the shot of pain that ran through her throat. "I'm going to go lay down for a bit," she added in a hoarse whisper. Rarity gave her a soft kiss on the forehead before watching her little sister slowly disappear out of the kitchen and back upstairs to her room.

Two days went by before Sweetie Belle received some news, both good and bad. The good news is that Rarity talked to Twilight which in turn talked to Princess Celestia. They are in the process of setting up the Canterlot stadium for her to sing in so that everypony could come and listen. The bad news is that her condition has deteriorated rapidly and at this rate she would only have about twenty four hours left before her body would shut down. Sweetie Belle was resting in the hospital when she got the news as her two best friends came for a visit.

"Hey Sweetie Belle. How ya feeling?" Scootaloo asked as the two fillies entered the room and trotted over to the bed side.

"Alright. Still hurts a bit though," Sweetie replied quietly.

"Any thing we could do fer ya?" Apple Bloom wondered. It broke the hearts of both fillies to see their best friend in such a state. Sweetie just shook her head for an answer and gave her a small smile.

"Did you hear?" She asked her two friends.

"Hear what?"

"I finally get to sing my song."

"Are you sure you'll be able to?" Scootaloo questioned worriedly.

"I'll be fine. Just need to rest up a bit. You guys will be there, right?"

"Of course!" Apple Bloom said with a smile. "Wouldn't miss it fer the world."

"Thank you." With that reply one of the doctors came in and told the girls they would have to leave so Sweetie could get some more rest. The two fillies said their goodbyes as they walked out of the room. Turning to look out of the window, Sweetie Belle could see the pegasi clearing the sky of clouds and in the distance she could see the royal city of Canterlot.

That night, while everypony was finding a place to sit, Sweetie Belle sat back stage with her two best friends as well as her big sister and all of her friends. She was receiving so much love and support that it made her feel so happy as the stage crew got everything finalized. Sweetie wasn't nervous at all as they told her to get into position as the two royal sisters walked past her and onto the stage.

"Good evening, everypony," Princess Celestia started off as she addressed the full house. "We have a very special night for you. We all know the tragedy that has befallen one of our most sweetest young ones. And tonight we grant her her wish to sing a song she wrote."

"Please join us in welcoming Sweetie Belle!" Princess Luna called out as they both turned towards the filly who boldly stepped out into the spot light and made her way over to the two Princesses. There was so much cheering and hoof stomping that it sounded like thunder as she stopped between the sisters. "It's all yours," Luna said quietly to her with a smile before following her sister off stage.

The cheering died down as the lights dimmed leaving a single spot light shining down upon the small unicorn. Looking up into the clear, starry sky, Sweetie Belle took a deep breath followed by a nod, signaling that she was ready. Closing her eyes she sang out the first few words at the same time the orchestra started playing, her melodic voice reaching everypony there.

Why, oh why do I love you so much?
My tears overflow this much

Back in that time, there was so much to lose that I couldn't sing anything
A place just a little ways away--That was where I was

That day, deep in your eyes, I saw the loneliness
Are the two of us really alike?
If I'd realized it, you were always by my side

The pain shot through her as the orchestra swelled but Sweetie Belle did not let it stop her. Fighting through it as tears formed in her eyes she continued singing, the entire stadium silently listening to each and every word.

Why do I love you so much?
Your voice rings inside me so much it makes me sad
Just what it was that supported me so much
From afar, I realize it now

Like a lost filly, crying and searching
But there was no such thing as forever

The pain worsened, yet Sweetie Belle would not give in, no matter how badly it got, no matter how much it hurt, she would not let it win. She would endure it for as long as it takes.

"It's okay if you don't believe in anyone" you whispered
Were the two of us really alike?
And I decided then I would protect you

Why can't I turn them to memories
You're too far, too near for me to reach
The more I tell myself "I will forget"
The larger you loom in my thoughts

Why do I love you so much?
Your voice rings so much it makes me sad
Just what it was that supported me so much
I realize it now from afar

Why do I love you so much?
It's so easy I just can't answer

As the music softened Sweetie Belle's gaze turned back towards the heavens as she sat down, singing the last few lines of her song. The tears streaming down her face, the silence that loomed when the last note was played, the pain tearing away to her throat, none of that mattered to her as Sweetie Belle just smiled to the sudden roar from every single pony there. Their hearts moved as they cheered, stomped, hollered, and all around shouted for an encore.

Later that night, in the early morning hours, Sweetie Belle passed away. Her friends and family there with her watched as she took her last few breaths before closing her eyes, leaving a gentle smile upon her muzzle. Every morning since then, Princess Celestia would play Sweetie's song in remembrance of her, to let everypony know that she will not be forgotten.

Comments ( 5 )

I'm sorry but to me the fear of losing her voice sounds like an awful reason for refusing to have the operation and thereby giving up on life. I would have made Sweetie Belle go through with it. She might hate me but that's a price I'd be willing to pay in exchange for her life.

This was quite the read. I don't read many stories like these, since they aren't really my cup of tea, but I will say this is good for the most part. Good work. :raritywink:

7714191 Thanks a lot! I'm glad it could stand out to you and you decided to take a look. :twilightsmile:

This is a very good and very sad one-shot.

7714810 Thank you. Yeah I was in a quite sombre mood when I wrote this.

Login or register to comment