• Published 30th Dec 2016
  • 14,277 Views, 227 Comments

Homecoming - Rose Quill



Sunset Shimmer recieves devastating news from her previous world of Equestria. Twilight Sparkle of the human world accompanies her on her journey back home to help support her in her time of need.

  • ...
20
 227
 14,277

Chapter Ten - Saying Goodbye: Always

Portraits of my mother lined the hall as we all filed in and an ornate urn stood on the raised stage at the end of the hall. I spotted Glory and Dew near the front, their coats covered in the same dark attire as I was wearing, though Glory had a dark veil on. We swapped hugs all around, tears glimmering. I looked at Dew.

“Hue couldn’t make it?” I asked.

“He’s up front, holding some seats for us.” She indicated a pony with a dark green coat conversing with a few other gentlecolts quietly. Even through the crowd I could tell his mane was mussed, but not in an unattractive way. “I’ll introduce you later.”

“Fair enough,” I said. “I wish that it was under happier circumstances.”

We made our way to the front of the room as the officiant climbed onto the stage and began the service. I found myself drifting through my memories of my mother as he spoke about her in a general sense. Her trilling laugh and easy smile, both of which never failed to make me smile even through the grief. Her care over skinned knees and aching tummies, making sure to top things off with a kiss and a horn surge.

I looked up as Dew took the stage.

“I’m not big on long speeches,” she said, pausing to wipe a tear from her cheek. “But at the same time, there is so much I want to say about my mom.”

She smiled and glanced at the urn, closing her eyes for a moment.

“Mom may be known to most of you as an accomplished painter,” she began. “But to my sisters and I, she was the chef, the doctor, the chaser of monsters, and the storyteller. She exposed us to brand new places, either taking us on trips or painting landscapes that showed us places we couldn’t imagine. Without that, I doubt I would have been drawn to painting like I have. I feel like a little bit of her is with me when I work on things.”

She glanced down at us. “I know that my sisters would each have their own personal favorite memories,” she said. “But my favorite memory is not long after our first trip to Manehatten. There was a gallery that had just opened a showcase of avant garde paintings. I didn’t understand the point of it, being as young as I was. I remember saying that they were bad paintings becuase they didn’t look like the actual things they were supposed to be.

“Mom pulled me aside and told me something,” she continued. “In that soft and slightly amused way that she had, she told me something that I’ve always remembered. ‘Even if you don’t understand it yourself, it means something to the pony that made it. Sometimes you have to step into their horseshoes and try to see it from their place.’”

She chuckled a little. “I didn’t really get it that night, but as I got older it started making more sense,” She looked down at the urn again. “And it’s something that can apply to life in general. Probably the biggest lesson she ever taught me.”

She stepped down and rejoined us. I smiled and leaned into her as the officiant lead us through the final devotional before we all stood and began to walk by, picking up a white or red lilly to deposit in the shallow trough that the urn was rested on. As I walked by, dropping a white lily I saw a red lily drop in a little shaky in an azure aura. I glanced back, and my jaw dropped. Standing there, her horn pulsing with her fading aura, was Sunshine.

She glanced down, a shy smile on her face, one that I returned. We moved along the procession and when we were able to slip out of line, I turned to her.

“When did you get here?” I asked quietly. “I wasn’t sure you’d want to come after…well, after.”

“I told you I’d come with you,” she said quietly. “And not using the dress Rarity made seemed like a disrespectful waste.”

I smiled. “Thanks, Sunshine,” I said as I hugged her, the nickname flowing from my mouth out of habit from the last couple days. “I really appreciate it.”

She smiled, then shrank down a little as I felt a presence approach from behind me.

“So,” Glory said into my ear. “Who is this?”

“Glory,” I groaned. “Not today, please?”

“Oh, come on,” my sister said. “You two hugged a little bit different from just acquaintances.”

I facehoofed. Trust my sister to sniff out gossip no matter where she was.

“Morning Glory,” I said, gesturing towards Sunshine. “This is a friend of mine, Sunshine. Sunshine, this is my older sister, Morning Glory. My other sister is over there, Dawning Dew.”

Sunshine nodded her head slightly, her face still slightly blushed. “Nice to meet you.”

Glory smiled in that way that made people wonder about her intentions. “A pleasure,” she purred, then winked at me. “I hope to see you at the reception.”

As we walked, Sunshine leaned in and whispered to me.

“She’s a little scary,” she whispered.

“Imagine what she’d be like growing up with her,” I returned.

She shivered, adjusting her glasses with her magic a little shakily.

I glanced back, seeing a photo of Mom through the door, her soft smile seeming meant just for me.

I love you, Mom, I thought.

Always.