• Published 9th Nov 2016
  • 3,393 Views, 138 Comments

Hazel Eyes in the Moonlight - Oddling



What would you do if you were born with a curse? Would you simply live with it? Or would you go to the ends of the earth to find a cure? What if that cure... was in another world? Follow Jim as he pursues the cure to his curse in a land beyond ours.

  • ...
14
 138
 3,393

36 - Darker Heart

A grunt and growl of irritation crawled out of the werewolf’s throat after his back impacted the ground. A louder growl accompanied his swift movement as he rolled onto his hands and paws. His head snapped toward the stifled yell of his enemy. Jim’s eyes narrowed dangerously as his burning gaze landed on Mana Spark, whom now held a familiar struggling yellow pegasus in his grey magic. A sliver of satisfaction passed through Jim as he spotted the blood that had begun to drip down the stallion’s face behind his hoof.

Mana Spark glared back at Jim while he struggled to not touch his injury. His anger only grew as he felt the blood drip further down his coat from the few gashes he had received. To make matters worse for the wounded Arch Mage, not only did his face sport deep furrows from where the claws had dug through his muzzle and cheek, he only had one functioning eye remaining.

Having an idea of where his opponent’s train of thought was about to turn, Jim rose onto his back legs and began to stalk toward Mana Spark. Anger filled the Arch Mage’s face, pulling a hiss-filled wince from him, before he floated Fluttershy between himself and the bristled werewolf.

“I suggest you stay where you are, beast! I’ll kill this mare if you don’t surrender like a good little mongrel,” Spark threatened, a ring of dark magic forming around Fluttershy’s neck.

“You truly are such a stupid little worm,” Jim rebutted harshly as he continued to stalk closer.

The dark ring around Fluttershy’s throat tightened painfully, squeezing the resulting scream of its victim into silence.

“I’m warning you, creature. I will end her!”

Jim continued a few more steps before he stopped and glared down at the stallion.

“You really don’t get it, do you, you worthless little moron,” Jim growled coldly. Before Mana Spark could voice anything in response, Jim continued angrily. “You actually think you’re in a position to threaten me while using her? You truly feel you are capable of swaying me!?”

Jim’s arms slowly extended out from his sides, his claws clearly on display for the mage. “You have cornered yourself. You have no escape if you plan to use a living shield. What’s more is that the only reason you are still unmolested by the guards here is because they believe you to be untouchable.”

Mana Spark’s brow lowered as Jim’s words gained the Guard’s attention.

“Not only that, you’ve dared to take captive a dear friend of a princess that represents magic. Had she the ability to push past her fear for her friend, she’d be capable to crushing you and saving her friend.”

Twilight’s face slowly shifted from shock of being addressed indirectly to calculative. She had once studied the Arch Mages teachings in her younger years, but had moved on when she discovered Starswirl’s records. It wasn’t that the Arch Mage was an incapable magic user. Mana Spark was more than adequate for his position, but he was nowhere near as inventive or adventurous as Starswirl the Bearded’s recorded studies had been. Only now, with the way the current situation had panned out, did Twilight realize that she had long surpassed Mana Spark. In fact, the only ponies she could think of that would match or exceed her were the other princesses and her own friend and student, Starlight.

“All that leaves you is a cruel truth, Arch Mage. You’ve nowhere to run.”

Mana Spark’s anger bubbled over as he defiantly glared daggers at Jim. Then, as if struck by a stroke of brilliance, his anger melted into a cruel smirk.

“Then I suppose I have no reason to keep her alive,” Mana Spark replied smoothly.

The intensity suddenly vanished from Jim’s eyes, the glowing red and yellow fading back into their normal hazel color. The werewolf simply stared blankly at the mage for a long moment. Any confidence the others might have been building dwindled at the abrupt shift in Jim’s appearance. Jim slowly lowered his arms.

“So what are you waiting for then? Kill her,” Jim spoke calmly.

Mana Spark’s lips parted as he grinned and tightened his magic’s hold on Fluttershy’s throat. The poor mare tried to grab hold of the ring on her neck, tears escaping her eyes and fear gripping her insides. A feeling of satisfaction started to fill the Arch Mage as he heard his victim’s pitiful mewls. The sudden shuffle of armor tipped him off to the approaching Royal Guards and his horn flashed brightly to form a new magic barrier around him. His shield only lightly trembled as their weapons struck against his defenses.

He pushed more magic into the ring around his victim’s throat as he felt the Princess of Magic’s power try to wrench control of it from him. Mana Spark doubted he would outlast the princess, but he could spare plenty of time to enjoy watching the beast before him despair. At least that was what he thought would happen. The pegasus would lose her life soon, the constriction already sufficient to clamp her airway shut. Yet there had been no change to the werewolf’s expression thus far.

Doubt bubbled in the back of Spark’s mind as the seconds flew by. With each tick of the unseen clock Fluttershy’s life slipped away even more, but the hazel gaze never wavered as it stayed fixated on him. The pegasus’s struggles steadily slowed until she could no longer weakly paw at the ring on her throat. Cries of alarm and fear rang out from the others, Mana Spark having to push his magic near his limit to keep up his shield against the guards and maintain his hold of the ring, but the beast did nothing more than stare at him. That feeling of wrongness wormed into him as he recalled what he had seen through the timber wolf.

It was in that moment of realization, when his uncertainty peaked, that Mana Spark changed his tactics. With a flare of his magic, he released his control of the ring around Fluttershy’s neck and teleported her within his barrier. Tension filled the air as the ponies saw the Arch Mage summon a dagger into his hoof. Mana Spark pressed the blade against the yellow mare’s chest and glared at Jim. Continuing to hold his blank stare, Jim started to slowly walk forward.

“Why do you hesitate, Arch Mage?” Jim asked, his tone seemingly void of emotion.

Mana Spark’s suspicions rose. “Why do you want me to end her?”

“You were so close. Why stop now when she was practically dead?” Jim asked in turn.

Spark’s emerald eye narrowed, his barrier wavering slightly as he felt the renewed sting of his facial injury. “You’re more dangerous than I assumed you’d be. You fought to protect this mare, yet now you don’t care if I kill her. I may not have expected you to be so powerful, but I have at least learned to recognize when you are up to something.”

A toothy smirk finally slipped onto the werewolf’s muzzle. Jim brought his hands up and came to a stop less than twenty feet from the shielded mage, his hands beginning a slow clap. “My word, you’ve obtained an intellect above that of a worm. I believe a celebration is in order,” he mocked before his expression dropped back into the blank stare. “Unfortunately you have learned nothing. I’ll say it once more. Kill her.”

Mana Spark’s ear flicked and he adjusted the dagger to rest on Fluttershy’s neck, the poor mare still quietly struggling to breathe. However, Mana Spark refused to follow through. He was unsure why the beast wanted him to kill the mare. There was no reason for it. There was no logic that he could determine to support it. What was going on in this situation?

Jim quietly waited for some time before he finally sighed. The loud rush of air from his lungs was abruptly followed with an angry snarl and a glare from the werewolf. “Stop wasting time and kill her already!” Jim barked.

Mana Spark’s anger flared at the command and he returned the glare. “Why!?”

Jim relaxed his expression just enough to hide his anger, the only sign of it remaining in his eyes alone. “Because I’m going to kill you regardless. But by killing her you’ll free me from the only thing preventing my dark side from coming into this world. Up until now I’ve done remarkably well in keeping my temper in check, you know…”

“Truly?” Mana Spark asked, his expression turning flat. “Oh I do hope you can forgive me for rubbing your fur the wrong way, though I don’t believe you’ll accomplish much throwing a tantrum.” The Arch Mage paused briefly, his eye seemingly shifting focus as if distracted for but a moment, before a pleased grin slid across his muzzle. “Of course, I suppose she could prove useful alive,” he mused aloud and looked down at the fearful yellow mare.

A light chuckle drew Spark’s attention back to the werewolf. Jim continued to chuckle as he brought a hand up. His amusement faded into a sigh as he ran his claws through his hair and shook his head while he looked to the ground.

“You’re all the same…” Jim mumbled.

Having heard the words Mana Spark glared at the beast and readied a retort, but Jim was swift to cut him off.

“Whether it be humans, werewolves or ponies, the ambitious all fail to resist the temptation offered to them from power,” the werewolf spoke, his hand slipping down to hang limply by his side. “Give enough time and you all grow complacent with that superior feeling. Stew long enough in your own mind-set or ideals and you develop a desire. Once that want grows enough influence… then days like this happen; occurrences are brought about because you finally wanted or felt the need to force a change.” Jim’s head slowly lifted.

Mana Spark watched, his curiosity of exactly where the beast’s rambling might lead keeping him from simply casting a magic lance to end the creature. Whatever thoughts he had been toying with, however, came to an abrupt halt as his gaze met with Jim’s. Where he had seen the cold hazel eyes, even the baleful glow of gold and red, was something far more concerning than before.

Jim glared at Mana Spark, his glowing red eyes all but bleeding a sinister green glow around them.

Many of the surrounding ponies that could see the red and green of Jim’s eyes gasped, a few turning their weapons toward him. Even Twilight had taken an uneasy step back, her memories of the last time she had seen such a gaze bringing forth unsettling sensations. Though it had been some time, there were few who did not know of King Sombra’s return with the Crystal Empire in the Frozen North. The exceptionally powerful unicorn had made many fearful of his abilities, but his impact on Twilight had been far greater. Despite her encounter with him having been before her alicorn ascension, there was no doubt in Twilight’s mind that Sombra’s defeat had been made possible from luck being on their side. Had Spike and Princess Cadence missed catching the Crystal Heart the entire empire would have fallen into his grasp.

However, the reminder of that slim victory paled in comparison to the magic Sombra could wield. Twilight had only used dark magic a few times during that encounter. Her grasp of the art was amateurish at best as she could only grasp the concept behind using hatred. She was made painfully aware of her lack of understanding the aspect of fear when she had fallen victim to the trap door beneath the throne. Sombra had revealed a deep connection with both hatred and fear; so much so that he could control them as if they were extensions of himself, rather than simply emotions to be felt and thought about.

As Twilight stared into the green glow of Jim’s eyes she wondered just what it took for him to gain such a grasp of dark magic. She swore she could feel his hate waft against her skin, as if it was an unseen aura.

Jim huffed a humorless chuckle and offered Mana Spark a grin that both mocked the stallion and showed a degree of pity.

“I find it interesting how you’ve spewed so many insulting labels toward me,” Jim spoke, a flicker of something warping the air beside his eyes; like the heat of a flame distorting one’s vision through it. His fur slowly seemed to come to life once more as well.

“Your ignorance is so great that I almost feel sorry for you, little mage. But you see… you’ve made the mistake of taking something from me,” Jim continued, the intensity of his gaze growing and the colorless flicker next to his eyes flashing a hint of red.

Jim’s arms suddenly flexed toward his chest and his jaw and fists clenched, another flash of the evidently red magical discharge drifting from his eyes. The deep sound of something popping somewhere in his body accompanied a guttural growl from him as he continued to glare at Mana Spark.

“There’s a quote…” Jim said through grit fangs, fangs that appeared to be a little sharper and more numerous than before, “That the humans are fond of using…” he paused and grunted as his body jerked and popped a few more times. “They say, ‘don’t wake the bear.’”

Jim’s muscles suddenly bulged outward all over his form, the mass of his body increasing his size, as a cacophony of pops and crunches accompanied a roar of pain-soaked hatred directed toward Spark. His hands snapped open and his arms flung out erratically, the speed and force enough to splatter nearly everyone around him with the blood from his cut palms and claw tips. Gnashing his many sharp fangs shut, Jim stifled the last of his roar and the excess magic from his eyes flared a sustained blood red. At the same time the color of his already dark fur sank even deeper, as if it were trying to become as black as an abyss.

Such wisdom is passed on…” Jim’s voice rumbled deeper and more powerfully than before, “because there are beasts you should never rouse.”

Mana Spark’s body stiffened as Jim let his upper body rock forward, his larger bulk adding more to the ominous thud as his longer claws sunk into the cobbled road. Jim’s gaze narrowed and his lips curled up to prominently show his fangs, steam slipping through them with his low growl. Then, just before his body blurred into a streak of black and red, Jim’s fanged maw curved into a smile.

Reacting purely on panic and instinct, Mana Spark pushed everything he had into his horn to strengthen his barrier. The thought of teleporting crossed his mind, but before he could consider such a thing he had to stall for enough time to cast. At the moment he could not afford to set aside enough magic and concentration for another spell, even for a flash-cast.

The werewolf’s body came back into focus as his fist slammed into the thickened barrier. The magical shield held up against the blow and halted Jim’s momentum, but it did so at the cost of its integrity as a multitude of cracks erupted throughout its surface.

Mana Spark had expected a hard strike against his barrier, but his strongest shield nearly shattering from a single hit had shocked him greatly. Although the backlash against his horn was of more concern as his concentration had nearly broken before his barrier. The Arch Mage grit his teeth, forcing himself to keep focused on the upkeep of his shield, and sent a renewed glare at Jim. His expression quickly took on an air of concern as he got a clear look at the werewolf’s face.

Jim held his satisfied and sadistic grin for all of two seconds before his other hand sprung forth. Mana Spark didn’t even have enough time to gasp as Jim’s bloody, clawed hand effortlessly penetrated the barrier. By the time the mage had realized what had happened, the dagger sized claws had already done their job.

The barrier shattered into a cascade of shards which quickly began to dissolve. A cry of agony escaped Mana Spark, the stallion rearing back and clutching at what remained of his right foreleg. Feeling no mercy for the mage, Jim cut Mana Spark’s yell short with a solid punch to the center of his chest plate. Spark was sent flying a fair distance, his landing nothing short of a harsh tumble.

The bulk of the werewolf came to rest above Fluttershy, the intimidating beast’s four limbs and body forming a protective cage around her. Jim narrowed his gaze toward the slowly recovering mage, any pleasure he had been gaining from the fight fading. He briefly turned his head to eye the poor yellow mare beneath him. He could see her fear of him. Had she not been scared of him he would have questioned it. In the state that he was currently in, Jim could feel the magic around him more vividly and he was positive that he would enjoy tasting hers.

Somehow knowing that she could feel his hunger for her, Jim allowed his lips to cover his fangs. He offered her a silent apology before returning his gaze toward the mage, but not before sweeping a look across the Royal Guards around him. Though not all of the few that had turned their weapons toward him continued to do so, Jim felt his appetite pulled toward the ones that did. It was a similar pull as the one he felt to Mana Spark, but considerably weaker.

A darker picture started to form as Jim thought about the possible implications of what he now felt. If he was correct, then it would mean that he had found himself in the middle of a spiderweb of ill intent.

But is the mage the biggest spider…?

A sudden flash of light in the distance derailed Jim’s thoughts. He had just enough time to recognize the direction of it being toward Twilight’s castle before a beam of golden light fell from above the dark clouds again. The much larger column filled the air with warmth mere moments before a tidal wave of golden magic swept across both the land and sky. Jim instinctively lowered his body and brought his limbs close to shield Fluttershy.

The wave of light passed over everything within the town. As the purifying magic touched what remained of the dark timber wolves the scorched constructs were disintegrated, their dust blowing away. Ponies touched by the light felt their strength return, the fatigue, worry and fear being replaced with harmony, assurance and hope. For the werewolf covering the yellow pegasus, the light did something completely different.

Searing hot agony washed over Jim’s body as the golden wave touched him. Whatever magical properties his fur held vanished as it was burned away. A pained groan from Scootaloo pulled Jim’s attention to her. As his gaze landed on her he realized that she had some of the bright magic clinging to her. However, unlike with his body, she was merely smoking lightly. Feeling that she was not in as much danger, Jim allowed his thoughts to drift to his own body.

This magic must be a counter to dark magic, he assumed as he forced his body to lift away from Fluttershy. To his surprise she darted out and he quickly found the yellow mare in front of him, her face filled with concern. She reached a hoof to his cheek but he pulled away before she could get close.

“Colonel! He’s not down for good yet,” Jim grit through the pain and nodded toward the newly erected globe of grey magic around the Arch Mage. “Secure the ponies here and protect them for me… and lend me your ear…”

Fluttershy tried to resist, especially when she spotted places on Jim’s body that began to blister and bleed from the magic burning across his back. Though she was strong enough to hold her own against the guards ushering her away, she was powerless when Twilight’s magic wrapped around her and pulled her to the rest of her friends.

The yellow pegasus quickly turned to Twilight. “We have to help him, Twilight!” Fluttershy urged.

Twilight could only shake her head and look upon the werewolf helplessly. “There’s nothing we can do. That was one of Celestia’s unique spells. She harnessed her connection with the sun to borrow its power for this cleansing magic. It’s made to burn away malicious dark magic. It must be trying to rid him of that powerful hatred that was fueling him before…”

Fluttershy turned her gaze back to the suffering werewolf, seeing the Royal Guard’s Colonel nod his head before barking out a few orders to the rest of the guards. A few were hesitant to take their eyes off of the werewolf, but they did as they were ordered. With admirable speed and efficiency, the scattered ponies that Jim had been protecting prior were gathered up and brought closer to Twilight’s group.

The Princess of Magic and her friends watched curiously, anxiously. They wanted to feel that this was a normal action, placing the noncombatants within a protected location. Yet the same uncertainty seemed to show too often on the Royal Guard’s faces as they ushered everypony together. It did not help that Jim continued to simply stay frozen in place, despite the obvious pain he was experiencing. Not only that, but the Colonel had taken on a stern expression, as unyielding as granite; his hardened eyes broking no room for questioning his orders to those under his command.

Once the civilians had been gathered around Twilight, the second in command turned a salute to his superior. “Civilians and VIP’s secured, Colonel Stonewall, sir!”

The Colonel nodded once. “Good work, Major,” he answered curtly. Then, before any of the ponies or guards knew what he was doing, Stonewall’s horn blazed a dazzling brown. A dome of magic erupted from the ground and encompassed the civilians. In addition, thick pillars of earth burst up to form a cage around the barrier; the pillars quickly hardening into stone with glowing green runes imprinting their surfaces. Once the barrier was complete, a beacon of orange light pierced through the sky above.

“Form up ranks!” boomed the Colonel, his firm gaze boring into his subordinates.

Knowing something serious was going on, the Royal Guards made haste in moving into formation in front of the Colonel. Their unease spiked as they saw Stonewall’s expression darken. The look he wore had only been seen on a few rare occasions; one that promised no less than a week of nearly crippling training in the future for those who had caught his attention.

Colonel Stonewall turned his head just enough to look toward the werewolf. “Preparation complete! We’re ready when you are!”

Most of the attention shifted questioningly toward Jim, though the few guards that nearly made the mistake of doing so caught themselves as Stonewall returned his stoney gaze back to the formations.

The Major turned a curious eye to the Colonel, the two engaging a silent exchange. A minute shake of the head was all the Major needed to know. Stonewall turned his side toward his subordinates and glanced at the grey barrier.

“If the former Arch Mage tries to make another attempt to harm the assets I authorize the use of lethal force to bring him down!” The Colonel ordered.

“Until then, you are to remain on standby. If any of you lot break formation before I give the order,” Stonewall swept his gaze across the formation, his horn lighting and crackling with power. “Your insubordination will be dealt with by me, personally!” His final word was punctuated by the ground beneath his troops vibrating.

Meanwhile, those who kept their eyes on Jim watched as the werewolf shakily rose onto his back legs. He silently screamed as he felt the golden magic shift and burn him more, along with the already badly burnt areas feeling like shifting hot coals searing his back.

The grey barrier suddenly dropped, revealing a seething yet crippled mage. Mana Spark rose unsteadily, his missing limb covered with a swirling dark magic like what he had used to hover before.

Jim mentally huffed and glared at the irritating stallion. Quit trying to fight this losing battle. Your stubbornness is only going to piss me off more, he growled silently.

Sharp spikes of pain flared across Jim’s body as the cleansing magic burned away the parts of him that fed upon his hatred. The Arch Mage noticed the flashes and quickly pieced together the werewolf’s predicament. A cruel smile spread over the half of his face that had not been clawed open.

“Looks like you’re vulnerable now, you rotten mutt,” Mana Spark spoke, his voice tired but filled with eagerness.

Jim snorted and narrowed his eyes, more of his body flaring brightly as his emotions bubbled to the surface. “Conjure a mirror, you look about ready to become dinner for the scavengers.”

The smile vanished from Spark’s face, a hateful sneer taking its place. “Indeed…” the mage paused a moment to glance at his disembodied foreleg beside Jim. “You’ve done more than enough to hinder my mobility as well as my plans… but it’s about time I rid myself of your meddling.”

A mild snarl pulled at Jim’s features as he readied himself. Mana Spark lit his horn, pumping his magic into an orb that manifested in the air above him. The ball of energy flickered just before unleashing a beam of pale grey. Leaning into the oncoming attack, Jim thrust his hand forth. Curling his fingers inward to lay his claws across his palm, Jim’s strike connected with the beam.

The initial impression that Jim got was that his tactic had worked to block the beam, the magic's force against his claws lessening shortly after connecting. The sudden explosion that tore through his hand a moment later proved otherwise. With the combined pain of the golden magic burning him, and the broken remains of his left hand, Jim collapsed onto his knees. He fought hard against cradling his injured arm, the golden light rapidly consuming the limb.

Mana Spark chuckled wickedly, his magic forming three more orbs around him. Though it was evident in the Arch Mage's breathing that he was nearly out of power. “This is the end of the line for you. Your claws aren’t as effective with that cleansing flame consuming you. That troublesome nullification is being suppressed.”

Jim simply grunted, the magic burning him growing brighter as he refused to let it stop him. It had gotten to the point that the only places that the golden fire had not scorched were the werewolf’s front, face, legs, and right arm. Of course, that was not saying much since the flames were doing their utmost to claim those remaining locations, but it did show that even they were struggling to consume him.

The Arch Mage recognized that fact as well, but knew that his next attack would end the sizable nuisance. Still, there was something more to this and the mage was curious enough to inquire.

“Colonel Stonewall…” Mana Spark addressed, sparing a look in the direction of the Royal Guard. “Are you sure you do not wish to aid this creature? I know you Royal protectors have a record of incompetence, but surely you see the value in keeping this beast alive. Without him… I don’t see many others able to stop me,” Spark goaded, permitting himself a condescending smirk.

Aside from a slight narrowing of his eyes, Stonewall did not move nor reply. The lack of response annoyed the Arch Mage. He was familiar with how the Colonel usually reacted to suck provocation, but to not get so much as an angry huff from the stone-faced stallion? Mana Spark turned a suspicious look to the headstrong werewolf, wondering what he had said to the Colonel prior to that fortress of a barrier being cast.

When no answers came from his pondering, Mana Spark snorted. He had wasted enough time. All he had left to accomplish from this nearly wasted day was to kill the greatest obstacle between him and achieving what he wanted. Then he could retreat and recover for the next step. The three orbs crackled as Mana Spark pushed just a little more of his dwindling mana reserve into them for good measure.

Forcing his body to move despite the searing bite of the magic, Jim stood again. He readied himself to dodge the next attack from the mage.

I just need more time…

A confident smirk slipped across Mana Spark’s muzzle a second before his attack. The three orbs flashed and three beams lanced out from them.

Jim’s eyes widened as his mistake dawned upon him. Where he had expected the beams to be like the previous one, these did not fire in a direct line toward him. Like three whips of devastating light, the beams flung out in arcs that cut deeply into everything they touched. Having been fired in a way that made their trajectory look like it would cut a pizza into six equal slices, Jim knew he could not avoid the attack unscathed. Even if he did, Mana Spark had already prepared a final attack, his horn already pointed and ready to hit the werewolf before he could even recover after dodging.

Many thoughts fought to race through Jim’s mind as he saw his unexpected end. Yet only one seemed to make itself known throughout his entire being. He was not willing to let himself die this time.

Jim’s unbroken hand bolted up toward the opposite shoulder, his claws ready to try the only thing he could think of to prevent his end, but the soft caress of something cool against his legs stopped him. Before he could even consider looking down, his world became engulfed within a flash of golden light.

Author's Note:

... and there I go again, somehow dragging this out longer than I had expected I would. This chapter was a little bit more of a struggle to get done, honestly speaking. I'm aware of the fact that I did change how I wanted this part of the story to go, but the difficulty is more from how I see myself as the writer. Overall, I just don't like how hard it is for me to put into words what I see in my mind. It's like I know the feeling behind it all, but I fail to grasp the right wording to satisfy myself. :trixieshiftleft:

Anyway, that's enough about that. Once the encounter with Mana Spark is concluded we'll be toning things down. My aim is to delve into some curiosities and roll around in some bitter-sweet vibes.

As always I hope you enjoyed the read and I hope you look forward to the next chapter. :twilightsmile: