• Published 11th Nov 2016
  • 1,375 Views, 18 Comments

Into the Woods: My Little Pony Edition - Joeyjambo122



The story of a childless baker and his wife... retold with MLP characters...

  • ...
6
 18
 1,375

Hello Little Filly...

(Narrator)

Deep within the woods, Fluttershy had planted a branch at the grave of her mother. And she visited there so often, and wept so much, that her tears watered it until it had become a magnificent tree.

Fluttershy sat at the base of the green willow tree, her front hooves close to heart.

(Fluttershy)
I wish...

An older yellow mare with a red mane appeared in the middle branches of the tree and said. "What is it that you wish, child?"

(Fluttershy's Mother)
Do you know what you wish?
Are you certain what you wish
Is what you want?
If you know what you want,
Then make a wish-
Ask the tree,
And you shall have your wish.

Hundreds of leaves lying on the ground suddenly swarmed Fluttershy, slowly changing her raggedy clothes into a beautiful green dress with slippers as green as grass.

Fluttershy looked at herself and smiled softly, a small tear coming down her cheek. "Thank you mother..." She muttered before flying off in the direction of the palace.


"Darn it... I knew I should have taken that left turn at Alberhoofy..." Spike grumbled to himself as he and Milky-White wandered through the forest, utterly lost.

An older dark blue stallion with a messy, darker blue mane, scruffy beard, dressed in rags suddenly approached him, somewhat spooking him due to the stallions disheveled appearance. "Hello Spike!" The stallion gleefully greeted.

"Uh... how did you know my name and who are you?" He asked a little wierded by the strange pony in front of him.

The pony cleared his throat. "When first I appear, I seem mysterious. When explained, I am not so serious." He stated.

"That... doesn't really answer my question..." Spike said wearily as the stranger began examining his cow.

"Taking your cow to market?" He asked curiously.

That's right sir, no less than a hundred bits." He confirmed. The stranger scoffed in amusement.

"Ha! You'd be lucky to trade this cow for a bag of beans." Spike scowled and was about to say something when stranger interrupted him. "So tell me... why such a hefty price for an old cow?"

Spike was a little confused by the question. "Uh... well, my mom said we need food and told me sell my cow... I just wish he would give some milk again because he's my best friend in the whole." He hesitantly explained.

The Stranger's face suddenly turned serious. "Tell me... would you trade away the life of a new sibling for the cow if given the choice?" The question caught Spike completely off guard.

"I uh... don't have any siblings..." He answered hesitantly. The Stranger looked at him quizzically. "Are you sure? Things might not always be what they appear be from a first glance."

Spike tilted his head. "Uh... what?" The Stranger rubbed his temples in annoyance. "This kid can't possibly be this thick. Just answer the question..."

Spike shrugged his shoulders in confusion at the Stranger's frustrated face and answered. "I guses I would pick my new brother or sister if I actually had one, even though I do want one..." He muttered quietly under his breath, something the Stranger heard just barely.

"What was that?" Spike muttered nothing. The Stranger nodded. "Well then, I must be off. Farewell!" He then took off in the opposite direction of Spike and Milky-White.

Spike stared where the stranger had run off before simply shaking his head and walked off down another direction, leading Milky-White along. "Come on pal, let's get out of here before another weirdo shows up."


Applebloom skipped marilly down the path toward her Granny Smith's house, unaware she was being watched by a pony shaped grey wolf with sharp teeth, who licked his lips at the sight of the yellow filly.

He quickly jumped in front of Applebloom, startling her. "Good day little filly." He greeted.

Applebloom regained her composure and hesitantly greeted back. "Howdy Mr. Wolf..."

He looked at her basket. "What pray tell is in that basket of yours?" He asked politely.

"Oh uh... just a loaf of bread for mah sick granny." She explained a little hesitantly.

The wolf licked his lips at the mention of bread. "And where does your granny live?" He asked.

"She lives a few miles down the path, at the base of an old oak tree." She turned to walk around him. "See ya Mr. Wolf!" She called as she continued trotting down the path. The Wolf snarled as he watched the filly go down the path.

(Wolf)
Look at that flesh
Yellow and plump.
Hello, little filly...
Tender and fresh,
Not one lump.
Hello, little filly...
This one's especially lush,
Delicious...

He licked his lips again before jumping in Applebloom's path again.

(Wolf)
Hello, little filly,
What's your rush?
You're missing all the flowers.
The sun won't set for hours,
Take your time.

Applebloom tried to ignore him.

(Applebloom)
Applejack said
"Straight ahead,"
Not to delay
Or be misled

The Wolf grabbed her basket and began to twirl around, keeping Applebloom from getting it.

(Wolf)
But slow, little filly,
Hark! and hush-
The birds are singing sweetly.
You'll miss the birds completely,
You're travelling so fleetly.

Applebloom managed to grab her basket and continued on her way.

(Wolf)
Grandmother first,
Then miss plump...
What a delectable couple.
Utter perfection:
One brittle, one supple--

One moment, my dear--

He jumped in her path again, much to her annoyance.

(Applebloom)
Big Mac said
"Come what may,
Follow the path
And never stray."

The Wolf immediately grabbed her leg and twirled her around.

(Wolf)
Just so, little filly--
Any path.
So many worth exploring.
Just one wouldn't be so boring.
And look what you're ignoring...

He twirled her toward a small flower grove and she exclaimed 'Wow!' And immediately began picking the various flowers.

(Wolf)
Thing of those crisp, aging bones
Then something fresh on the palate.
Think of that scrumptious carnality
Twice in one day...
There's no possible way
To describe what you feel
When you're talking to your meal!

He licked his lips before picking a flower and showed it to Applebloom. "For granny." Applebloom gingerly accepted it.

(Applebloom)
Big Mac and Applejack said
Not to stray.
Still, Ah suppose,
A small delay--
Granny might like a fresh bouquet...

She walked back down the path and waved to wolf goodbye.

"Goodbye little filly, and hello..." He jumped into a rock and howled at the top of his lungs.


Shining wandered as he searched for the items required for the potion. Passing through a leafy area, he noticed Applebloom picking flowers in small grove, having stepped off the path again. Shining paticulary eyed the cape she wore. The Witch suddenly came down hanging down from a tree, startling him. "What are you waiting for!? Get the cape!" She demanded.

Shining glared at her. "I can't just take a cape from a filly! Why don't you take it!?" He shouted back.

She came down from the tree. "Because I can't touch any of the items! It's part of the rules! Why do think I asked you to do it!?" They suddenly heard heavenly singing in the distance. The Witch groaned in frustration. "Just get me what I need!" She shouted before leaves surrounded her and she disappeared.

Shining looked at Applebloom and sighed at what he had to do. He approached and greeted her. "Well fancy meeting you here miss Applebloom." He said with a strained smile.

She turned toward him when's she heard the voice. "Oh, howdy Mr. Armor. Fancy meeting you here too."

"Yeah I know. Still have all the sweets for granny?" He asked.

"Ah ate them all?" She confessed with a blush.

"Right... so tell me, where did you get that lovely red cape?" He asked politely.

"Granny Smith knitted it for me." She informed.

"Well, I would like to have one for myself." He said through strained chuckles.

Applebloom raised a brow. "No offense, but you would look pretty odd."

Shining gave her an extremely strained laugh. "Yeah, odd! Ha ha ha ha!" Applebloom laughing awkwardly with him. Shining immediately grabbed the cape to Applebloom's surprise and they began a fierce tug of war.

"No! It's mine!" She shouted. Shining managed to win the surprisingly tough tug of war and ran off as fast as he could, leaving Applebloom to scream for a solid seven seconds before he eventually came back out of guilt.

"It's okay, it's!" He exclaimed, putting the cape back on the filly, calming her down. "I... was just seeing how much you love cape..." He hesitantly explained. "Now you better get on your way to granny's and be careful of wolves, you hear?" All he received was a scowl.

"Better a wolf than you!" She angrily shouted before his right front shin with her back legs, receiving a shout of pain from the stallion, before galloping off down the path once again.

Shining rubbed his sore leg. "Why did she have to be an Earth pony..." He grumbled. "How am I supposed to get the items if I can't take a cape from a filly without feeling horrible..." He shook his head clear of these doubt filled thoughts.

He got back up again ad muttered to himself. "Now then, better make sure I know the names of the items. Okay now, was it the cow as green as grass-?"

"-As white as milk!" A startling familiar voice frustratingly shouted. He turned to find Cadence emerging from a bush behind him.

"Cadence? What the hay are you doing here? I thought told to stay home." Cadence shook her head.

"Me and Flash both wanted to help and I wasn't just gonna sit on my flank the entire time either." She explained. Shining sighed in frustration.

"Cadence, I appreciate that but I can do this by myself." Cadence rubbed her temples in annoyance.

"You just listed the Cow as green as grass!" She shouted.

"Then what color is the cow-?" A gasp cut him off. Cadence pointed behind him. Turning around, he saw Spike walking down the path leading a cow- "-As white as Milk..." He finished.

Cadence pushed him forward. "Well go on!" She whispered and both approached the baby dragon.

"Good day lad!" Shining greeted, getting Spike's attention.

"Oh hello... sir, ma'am" He greeted back when he saw them approach.

"Right... what brings into the middle of the woods with a cow?" Cadence gestured to the cow.

"Oh... well, I was heading to the next village to sell my cow, but I think I'm lost." He explained with a somewhat somber tone.

While they noticed his tone, they silently decided leave it be for no. Shining cleared his throat and asked. "So how much are you selling her for?"

Spike straightened himself at the question and answered. "No less than a hundred bits sir."

Both were taken aback by the steep price. "Why so much for one cow? Is she very generous of milk?" Cadence asked, trying to get some answers.

"Yes very generous of milk ma'am-"

"Cadence."

"Mrs. Cadence, you see civilized dragons, like me and my parents, kinda live in poverty, and my dad is always away, searching for gems we can eat. He's usually gone for months at a time and, not that I'm mad about it. My mom of course sent me to sell the cow but...."

He stopped and looked contemplative before continuing. "Can I be completely honest for a second?" They nodded. He took a deep breath. "My mom's been extra grumpy, snappish, and stressed these past few months and and she has morning sickness and I'm starting to think she's been hoarding food, because her belly has been getting larger and larger over the past twelve months. She dodges my question every time I ask." He sat down on a tree trunk. "I know she's keeping something from me and dad, I just wish she just tell us." He sighed very heavily.

Cadence sat down next to him. "What's your name?" She asked.

He wiped his eye's of any tears that might have formed in them. "Spike..."

"I'm sure if you just try talking to your mother, you may find there might a different reason for her behavior and condition." She suggested, earning a doubtful look from Spike.

"Yeah? Like what?" He questionly grumped.

Shining approached him. "I'm afraid that's something only a parent should discuss with you. So, a hundred bit's for the cow huh?" It was a very poor attempt at changing the subject, he took it anyway.

"That's right Mr..."

"Shining Armor."

"...Mr. Armor, no less than a hundred bits." He reaffirmed.

"If you wouldn't mind, me and Cadence need to discuss your price real fast." Spike shrugged in response.

They walked a little distance away from the dragon. "Where are we supposed to get a hundred bits?" He asked in a whisper.

"What do you have on you?" She asked. Shining pulled out the six beans his father had stolen.

"All I have are these beans." He whispered. Cadence eyes widened as an idea popped in her head.

"Oh, we most certainly can't just sell our beans." She said in a weird, a look of confusion shared between both Shining and Spike.
"Well, if you feel we must, we'll sell them." She lightly shoved him toward Spike.

Spike looked extremely doubtful. "Beans for my cow? Is this some kind of a joke?"

Cadence quickly shook her head. "No no! Thsee aren't ordinary beans. They're magic!" This only made Spike raise his suspicion.

"Oh really? What kind of magic?" He asked skeptically.

"Uh... a magic that defies description. Five are worth at least twenty bits each" Shining said with a strained smile. Spike tap his clawed foot in thought. They obviously really desperate to buy Milky-White, but beans would take months to grow and he was pretty sure they weren't magic like they just said... but what if they were telling the truth and they are magic? And there was one question he had for them.

"Could I buy my cow back someday?"

They couple looked at each other then back at him. "Uh... sure, maybe." That was all he needed.

He sighed heavily. "Alright... you have a deal..." Cadence handed him five of the six beans and kept the last one to herself.

Handing the rope to Cadence, he turned his attention back to Milky-White, tears forming in the corners of his eyes. He hugged tightly, whispering. "I'll buy you back someday... I promise..." The sentence didn't go unheard of, causing both Shining and Cadence to become reluctant to take the cow. Before anything else could be said, Spike ran off in tears back in the direction of his home.

Shining frowned at Cadence. "Cadence, how do we even know those beans are even magic?"

Cadence simply grabbed the rope that was around the cows neck. "That would have been better than what anypony would have payed him for this cow. At least this way, his family would have some food. Especially since he's going to be big brother soon." She tried to justify.

Shining sighed as he looked to the ground. "I'm not even sure I'm cut out to start a family." Now this made her eyes widen in shock.

"Why would you think that!?" She questioned.

"Because of my father..." He muttered.

She gave him a kiss on the cheek. "Your not him."

Shining sighed heavily. "I'm not even sure of myself to raise a child."

Cadence looked him straight in the eye. "Please... if you can't do this for yourself, than can you please do it for me?" She pleaded

Shining nodded slowly. "Fine, but you have to promise to take the cow home and stay there and that extends to Flash when I see him and I will find the rest of the items on my own!" He nearly yelled.

Cadence gave a disapproving look before sighing in defeat and trotted down the path to the village with none a word. Shining watched her for a moment before deciding to try and get the cape from Applebloom again and trotted down the path she went down.


(Narrator)

Meanwhile, Flash flew over the woods in search of the items to help his friend when came upon a mysterious sight.

"Okay, what is that Witch doing out here?" He mumbled to himself as he silently followed the Witch through the thick woods, thankful he had decided to leave his armor back at the bakery. The Witch suddenly stopped in front of a large thorn brush that looked impossible to pass and he was unable to fly over it due to the very thick pine trees covering the opening to the sky.

"Open Sesame!" She shouted, and to Flash's surprise, the Thorn brush opened into a hidden grove with a small cottage inside. The Witch entered, the entrance closing behind her before Flash could follow, but not before catching a glimpse of something purple in the cottage's doorway. "Looks I'll have to wait until that Witch leaves." He quickly flew into the branches of the pines above and hid inside some of thicker brushes.


Applebloom eventually managed to her granny's cottage at the base of the oak tree, but suddenly stopped.

(Narrator)
Though Applebloom had approached her granny's cottage with an eager bound, she became worried when she saw the entrance opened ajar.

"Why do Ah feel so uneasy? It's probably all the sweets." She mumbled to herself as she entered the cottage. "Granny Smith? It's me! Are you here?" She called.

"In here deary... " A voice that sounded like it was trying to hard to sound feminine, called from the bed. She looked and saw what looked her Granny laying in the bed.

She approached the bed, still a little cautious. "Gosh granny... what big ears ya got..." She pointed out uncomfortably.

"The better to hear you with, my dear..." 'Granny' said smiling, showing very sharp teeth.

Applebloom screamed in terror.


(Narrator)

And in one fell swoop, the Wolf swallowed the filly whole. Well... it was a full day of eating for both.

Shining had heard the filly scream as he approached the cottage, wielding a sharp knife he had packed in his magic. He entered the cottage to find a wolf dressed in old lady clothing with a bulging belly laying in the bed. He noticed a shred of red cloth dangling from the wolf's mouth and he heard muffled cries for help coming from the beasts stomach.

Gulping about what he was to do, he raised the knife in his magic and threw it down right on the wolf's stomach.


A very skinny adult purple dragon with green spines was walking the path to his home, a big bag that was half full draped over his back. Spyro had never fancied himself the greatest gemfinder, but he was barely lucky that he was able to find the gems he had in the bag. "This is barely enough to keep us going for a few months. Seven months, only to find this much in those empty mines." He complained to himself.

His growling stomach had tempted him to eat some of the gems he found, but cared less about himself and more about his family. He missed his own son's hatching because he was looking for food just to feed son and his wife. Not he was complaining about Spike's birth making hit harder for them to eat. His son and wife were the two lights of his miserable life and he was hardly ever home. "Some father and husband I am..."

His musings were cut short when heard the dying howl of a wolf resonating through the woods. "Whatever that was, I hope someone put it out of it's misery fast." He looked and saw that evening was slowing coming. "It's going to get dark soon, I better set up camp and head home when dawn breaks."


Shining Armor burst out of the cottage panting heavily. "I can't believe I actually just did that..." He mumbled in disbelief.

Applebloom ran out after him, Granny Smith standing outside the door with a cowl on her face. "Ain't ya gonna help us skin that beast!?" She shouted, to which Shining quickly refused.

"Than what in blazes kinda hunter a you!?" She angrily shouted.

"I'm a baker..." He grumbled before continuing back down the path.

"Wait a minute Mr. Armor! Ah never thanked you!" Applebloom exclaimed as she ran toward him while granny reentered the cottage.

"Well... you should have been more careful." He calmly lectured.

"Your right.. Ah should have known better known better."

(Applebloom)
Big Mac and Applejack said,
"Straight ahead"
Not to delay
Or be misled...

Ah should have heeded
their advice...
But he seemed so nice.

And he showed me things,
Many beautiful things,
That Ah hadn't thought to explore.

They were off my path,
So Ah never had dared.
Ah had been so careful
Ah never had cared.

And he made me feel excited-
Well, excited and scared.

When he said, "Come in!"
With that sickening grin,
How could Ah know what was in store?

Once his teeth were bared,
Though, Ah really got scared-
Well, excited and scared...

But he drew me close
And he swallowed me down,
Down a dark slimy path
Where lie secrets that Ah never want to know,

And when everything familiar
Seemed to disappear forever,
At the end of the path
Was Granny once again.

So we lay in the dark
Until you came and set us free,
And you brought us to the light,
And we're back at the start.

She said, putting a hoof on Shining's.

(Applebloom)
And Ah know things now,
Many valuable things,
That Ah hadn't known before:

Do not put your faith
In a cape and bow
They will not protect you
The way that they should

And take extra care with strangers-
Even flowers have their dangers.
And though scary is exciting,
Nice is different than good.

Applebloom thought for a moment before taking off her cape and handed to Shining, to his shock. "Are you really...?"

Applebloom nodded. "Yep, maybe granny will make me a new out the skins of that wolf!" She sad excitedly.

"You... you have no idea how much this helps me... thank you!" He gave her a quick peck on the cheek, much to her disgust and immediately dashed down the path. Despite that gross kiss, she couldn't help but smile as she watched the stallion happily run down the path.

She turned and walked back to the cottage.

(Applebloom)
Now Ah know:
Don't be scared.
Granny is right,
Just be prepared.
Isn't it nice to know a lot?
And a little bit not...

Author's Note:

I went through several names for Spike's father in this story before I eventually settled with Spyro.