• Published 30th Jun 2012
  • 13,947 Views, 247 Comments

Welcome the Unknown - Equestria Buck Yeah



A human violently crashes into Ponyville, and for some strange reason, things seem to get crazier the longer he's there.

  • ...
30
 247
 13,947

Chapter 5

Twilight, Spike and Matt sat quietly at the breakfast table. Matt was thinking hard about the offer Twilight made him last night while the others discussed what today's plans were. Maybe she was onto something. He couldn't deny that the first half of yesterday's outdoor activity was great. If only that overgrown flying handbag hadn't shown up he wouldn't have cared if he spent another month inside doing little. He always reasoned that if you get too much of a good thing, you get spoiled by it. Even Pinkie Pie couldn't throw a party every day if she wanted, right? Though Pinkie was...unique to say the least.

There was a knock at the door. Twilight got up to answer it and welcomed Applejack inside. It was near eight in the morning, but the farm pony was used to getting up earlier than most. The unicorn wasn't typically greeted with guests until closer to lunch. "Morning, Applejack! Didn't expect to see you so early today," Twilight warmly greeted her.

"Mornin', everypony. Ah'm sure y'all know why Ah'm here." She was as to the point as ever, as was her nature. Twilight and Matt nodded, and Spike continued eating his gem stash. "Ah spoke to the family last night and they decided that they'd give ya a shot, Matt. Ah told Twilight this last night, but Ah'm gonna tell you too. If ya wanna come help, that's fine. But you will not do to my family what ya did yesterday," she growled, pointing a stern hoof at him. "If ya do, Ah'll send ya back to your world personally. Ah make myself clear?"

Matt looked away embarrassed. He didn't need to be reminded of his insane behavior so soon. He nodded at Applejack and sighed. "I'm sorry about what happened. Not something I usually say to...well, wasn't something I usually said back home, I mean...but I've never been unable to man up and admit when I screwed up."

Spike took a moment between gems and asked, "What was that all about anyway?" Twilight and Applejack had wanted to ask this too, but the little dragon beat them to it.

"Ever have one of those days," –he smiled wide and held his fists up to his head, clenching them like a squealing fanboy– "and had it turn into one of those days?" and then dropped his arms and looked annoyed.

"Well, sure, who hasn't?" Twilight said. "What does that have to do with anything?"

"Every single time?"

"Come on, you have to be exaggerating, Matt."

He gave the floor a defeated glance and shook his head. "I haven't had too many days like that, at least ones that I can remember. My older brother had a daughter. We threw a party at his place when he and his wife brought her home. Sounds like a great day, right?" He mocked his ecstatic expression from before. "Well, my car had been stolen right out of the driveway when it was time to head home. Never found it.

"I remember years before that, day one of my first job. Was working in a little fast food joint. It's going fairly well but then, that afternoon, some scumbag shows up waving a gun in my face. 'Welcome to the working world, Matt! Now give me your money or I'll blow your head off!'" He made the shape of a gun with his fingers and put it to his temple. "There are other examples but those two I'll remember till the day I die."

The ponies listened to his tale but weren't convinced. Matt never told them what a gun was that very first night but based on what he just said and what he did with his hand, they had a good enough idea. "Ya can't honestly tell me you've never had a single good day from start to finish in yer life," Applejack retorted.

"I don't believe that either. Yeah, that was terrible luck with those two things, but that's just it. Two things. You really don't remember any good experiences?"

"Experiences, sure. Seeing your favorite band is a good experience, but you expect to have fun cuz you like them so much. Plus you can see them again if you want to," Matt explained. "I'm talking important things. That day was important to me because it was the first time I was allowed to do something other than stare at the walls since I came here. It made me feel alive again, with a capital A. I don't know if that makes any sense to you. I started thinking when you told me we were going to go out that maybe things would be different here, starting from scratch and all. Guess not."

"I still don't think that's any reason to get as bent out of shape as you did," Twilight stated.

All he could do was shrug. "After twenty-seven years of the same thing over and over again, it starts to get to you. Whenever I do start to have a good day, I start to worry. I'm always right, too. Maybe I should have taken the hint when I got that pain in my chest."

"Matt, stop. Come on, what did I tell you last night?" the lavender mare said with a smile. He didn't respond but knew what she was referring to. Most people back home didn't have this much patience for him when he'd lose control, and he didn't have much of his own to begin with. He'd been in this new place maybe a month and these colorful talking ponies and kid dragon have been better friends to him, a completely foreign being, than some of the people he knew back home for half his life. He was sure there was a logical reason why, but he'd be damned if he could figure it out. "By the way, have you made your decision about helping around the farm?"

He let the idea swim around his head a few minutes ago before Applejack arrived. He gave it one last moment of thought and spoke up, "Sure, why not? Couldn't hurt to give it a try, and I promise I'll be civil with your folks. When I make a promise, I keep it."

"Let's hope ya do, shug. But that's great to hear. When'd ya wanna get started?"

It was a Saturday that day. A couple days would be nice to clear his mind and prepare for what would likely be the first of many rough days work. The first would probably feel like several days wrapped into one. While he wasn't afraid of working hard, he didn't remember the last time he really had to. Most things he was used to were done by computers back home. "Monday would probably be best. How's Monday, Wednesday and Friday sound as far as a work week goes?"

"Sounds good. Tell ya what, too. Monday, Ah'll introduce ya to the family. Can get to know 'em a bit before we get started. Give ya a light first day. Somethin' tells me ya probably hadn't put yer back into much back where yer from," she said as she nudged his small but noticeable belly. He was a fairly big man, but he wasn't exactly muscular either. Maybe he can sweat off some of the excess flab?

"How are we going to get him there? The easiest way is through town, but...y'know."

"Ah'll get up a little earlier than normal and bring that one large cart we got in the barn and lug him over. Just have to toss a sheet over him or somethin'. Ah'll drop him off the same way." Twilight smiled and nodded at her orange friend. "Welp, Ah'm gonna head back. Gotta let the family know and get started on the day. See ya Monday morning, Matt!" They waved their goodbyes and Applejack trotted back home.

-----

Monday morning arrived before anyone knew it. The knock at the door rang it in earlier than expected. Twilight and Spike opened their eyes and looked out the window to see the stars still out and the moon low in the sky. Luna was almost ready to retire the night but there still wasn't any sign of the suns rays creeping out from behind anything in preparation for Celestia's morning routine. Twilight rubbed the sand from her eyes while Spike groaned and flopped back down into his bed. The unicorn hobbled down the stairs and opened the door.

Applejack was as bright eyed as the day would be at high noon with a smile that beamed just as brightly. "Mornin' Twilight!"

Twilight's looked at the clock, her eyes half open. "I didn't know there was a 4:30 in the morning," she joked and welcomed her friend in. "Matt's probably still sleeping. I'll go get him. Can I get you anything? Something to eat, drink?"

"Thank ya kindly shug, but Ah ate before Ah left."

Applejack made herself comfortable in the lobby while Twilight headed to the basement. Matt was facing the wall like he was when she last saw him. He had slept in a set of his clothes to cut down on the prep time that morning. If Applejack was anything like the farmers he met through friends or family back home, she was going to want him ready to go as quick as possible. The work never seemed to end in the country and every waking hour seemed to be devoted to doing said work. He figured he could get a few extra winks of shut-eye on the cart ride back to Sweet Apple Acres anyway.

Twilight removed the blanket with her magic and poked at his shoulder. "Rise and shine, Matt. Applejack's here for you," she said with a yawn.

He groaned and grunted as he woke from his slumber. He rolled over and saw Twilight about to collapse back to sleep herself. "What time is it?"

"4:30."

He sat up with a deep breath and rubbed his face. He went to bed early last night as he expected his morning to start at some ungodly hour, but it was rough trying to get up anyway. He was used to getting his day started at about 7 or 7:30. Twilight headed up the stairs a few paces in front of him. With his shoes and socks now on, he followed along and greeted Applejack waiting patiently for him. "Ah, yer dressed already. That was mighty quick."

"Slept in them. Mind if I brush my teeth real fast?"

"Sure, just hurry on up. We still got a lot of things to do today."

He nodded and headed upstairs. A few minutes later, he returned. He had splashed some water on his face and it helped a little, but he was still a bit sluggish.

"I'm going back to bed. Good luck out there, Matt," Twilight said with a tired smile. He smiled and lazily saluted as she returned to her bed, promptly hitting the pillow face first.

The cart was waiting outside for them. Applejack glanced around and saw the town still asleep. She motioned him outside and he curled up onto the cart, throwing the waiting sheet over himself. The two did a quick check to make sure no part of his body was sticking out accidentally. Once they were sure he was covered, she headed to the front of the cart and hooked herself up to it.

"Are you sure I won't be too heavy to pull?" he whispered.

"Honey, Ah've lugged this cart around full to the brim with baskets of apples that weighed more than you. Ah'll be fine," she responded. She kept a watchful eye out as she headed towards the road that would take her straight to the farm. Everypony was still asleep as she expected.

-----

Once Applejack had reached the road, the chattering began. Matt had closed his eyes under the sheet while they were still trotting through Ponyville, but upon reaching the empty road back to the farm, Applejack's talk of what they were going to do that day kept his brain from turning off. It was just as well. If he managed to fall completely back to sleep, he was probably going to need a good buck to the gut to get him up. That would have probably made Applejack instantly reconsider their arrangement.

The sun had started twinkling behind the skyline in the distance by the time they arrived at Sweet Apple Acres. "Looks like Celestia's gettin' ready to do her thing," Applejack commented. "The mornin's out here, Matt...they're so peaceful, and the smell of the dew on the grass.. Ah dunno how well you'll take to bein' out here, but Ah wouldn't trade it for anything."

They played it safe and kept Matt hidden until she reached home. They weren't likely to bump into another pony on this road, but she didn't want to chance it today. Maybe later on in the week or possibly next week she'd let him hop out and he could walk the rest of the way and get his body stretched out before they got things started. Twenty minutes later, they arrived at the gate that opened to the farm.

-----

"Hey everypony, we're here!" She trotted into the living room with Matt having to hunch over to get in the door. Just like at the library, the ceilings were fortunately high enough so that he could stand up straight. The rest of the Apple family was already up and raring to go with their daily routines. She introduced him to Big Macintosh, Granny Smith, Apple Bloom and Winona, and they warmly greeted him they way they did with all their guests. It was clear where Applejack got her charm from.

"Whee doggy, he's a mighty big feller there," the elderly pony said.

"Eeyup."

Apple Bloom was instantly taken by Matt. Applejack had mentioned to her folks that he was going to be coming to help over the past weekend. Her big sister described his appearance as best she could. Upon hearing of a tall, bipedal thing called a human who came from some other world, Apple Bloom's youthful curiosity came to the surface, and she had a million questions ready to ask him when he arrived. Seeing him in person made her eyes grow as big as her smile. Ah, the naivete of children, he thought as he clearly noticed her wondrous stare.

They sat down and Matt prepared himself for whatever questions he expected they had for him. Winona had curled up next to him like she'd known him for years. Big Macintosh, or Big Mac as he was used to being called, didn't say much other than an occasional 'eeyup' and 'nnnope' whenever Matt asked him something. He joked how the first place he worked at had a type of sandwich named a Big Mac but assured them ponies didn't go into making it. Granny Smith would usually ramble on about something that she did when she was young and forget what her point was a few minutes later. It was almost endearing if not a bit silly.

Apple Bloom had the most to say though. She fired off one question after the other and Matt did his best to answer what he could. He made it a point not to mention anything that may upset them as per his promise to Applejack. He was trying to make a good impression and didn't want to blow it by mentioning some of the atrocities humanity committed in its history when he was asked, so he played dumb, saying that he just wasn't around and simply didn't know the answer. Matt noticed her lack of cutie mark and the filly told him about her friends Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo and the Cutie Mark Crusaders and their adventures.

It had started getting later into the morning than Applejack would have liked. She cut Apple Bloom off, who was upset that she hadn't finished her barrage of questions, and led Matt to the pastures with Big Mac behind them. She started Matt off with something simple: Apple picking. They got the ladder out of the barn and she showed him where she wanted to make his rounds, and where to bring the baskets once they were full. He saw how fast the Apple clan could clear the trees and he felt extremely inadequate, even moving as fast as he could despite his fatigue. They spoke after the day was done and she told him not to worry and that she was just happy to have a friend over helping. He still felt he should be able to pull his weight better.

-----

The works days afterwards came and went as they routinely did. It was a Wednesday, a few weeks after their agreement began. He was getting better at his designated tasks, despite what he felt were limitations. He had assisted in feeding the livestock today, which freaked him out the first time. He hadn't been aware the cows talked here. He wondered if the ones he ate back home did the same when no one was looking for a moment but laughed when he remembered they didn't exactly have vocal chords.

"Hah! As long as ya don't start eatin' them here too!" Applejack joked when he told her of the bovine back home. He thought against it at first, but he knew he told them about eating meat shortly after he first arrived. The girls were a little disturbed but got over it quickly enough. He assumed that they understood that some things out there eat meat and that's just the way it was.

"May be a good way to keep them in line if they start getting uppity about something," he said with a wink. They shared a laugh and went back to their chores. "Oh yeah, I almost forgot to ask you. Twilight told me yesterday that Rarity stopped by Monday looking for Spike to help her out with some things this Thursday – tomorrow – but Celestia needed him in Canterlot for a couple days.

"She said she was busy but suggested I go over there and help her with whatever it is she needed. Said it'd get me out and about some more. Rarity didn't sound too happy with the idea." Matt paused, looking glum. "I really haven't had a chance to apologize. Haven't seen much of her since that one day. I figure she's avoiding me."

"What's yer question, shug?"

"I passed the idea to Twilight and she seemed okay with it. You think I'd be able to crash here tonight? I figured that it'd be easier for me to sneak around the outskirts from here to her place rather than trying to go straight through town."

Applejack perked up at the suggestion. "Ah don't see why it'd be a problem. Ah'm sure Apple Bloom would love to have ya over. She can't stop asking about ya when you're not here."

"She reminds me of my niece. Just as cute too. Have you been giving her lessons or something?" he said with a chuckle.

"Oh, listen to you with yer silver tongue!" Applejack's cheeks flushed a little as they got back to their work.

-----

Most of the evening after the chores were done and dinner had been eaten involved family time together. Playing games, telling stories, playing with Winona...stuff that Matt could picture in old-timey 1950's PSAs, or at least what they tried to pass the fifties off as. Still, there was something innocent and heartwarming about it. Apple Bloom spent most of her time with Matt, talking about her day and listening to him tell her more about his home. He could probably tell her things until the end of time and she would never get bored with it.

However, it was starting to get late. Matt said his goodnights and began heading out to the barn. Before he could get outside though, Applejack went upstairs and brought him a spare pillow and couple of blankets. It could get pretty cold out there some evenings. He thanked her and left the house. A few moments after he closed the door, Apple Bloom snuck up to her big sister.

"Applejack, can Ah go hang out with Matt some more, just in case he can't fall asleep right away?"

She was about to tell the filly to get ready for bed, but the pouting lips sealed the deal. "Alright, but don't stay out too late. Ya still gotta go to school tomorrow."

"Thanks, sis!" In the blink of an eye, she was out the door.

Matt heard little galloping hooves heading his way and spotted Apple Bloom coming up behind him. "Hey, squirt. Shouldn't you be getting ready for bed?" He was hoping to get to sleep soon himself. Working at the farm had helped remind him how out of shape he really was and even though it had already been a few weeks, his body still ached a bit. It was a good ache though instead of what his bones went through when he first showed up.

"Applejack let me stay up a little longer with ya!"

She sat outside and waited as he put together a make-shift mattress out of hay and laid the pillow down. He stepped outside once he was done and they sat up against the side of the barn. The sky looked absolutely beautiful. The stars littered the sky much more than they did in Ponyville, where they still had some lights lining the streets at this hour. It felt as if the moon lit up the darkness almost as much as the sun illuminated the day.

"Luna's outdone herself tonight," Apple Bloom hummed, breaking the ice.

"Haven't seen a night like this in a looong time," he agreed. The sounds of the night were like a lullaby Equestria was playing. They didn't say too much and just took in the atmosphere.

"Any idea what they're supposed to be going over in school tomorrow?" he asked, but no response came. He looked down and saw Apple Bloom had already fallen asleep next to him. He smiled the way he used to when his niece tuckered herself out on the couch and carried her into the barn, closing the door behind him quietly so as not to disturb the filly. He set her down next to his hay mattress and laid on his back. The blankets only came up to his mid chest, but it would be enough. It wasn't terribly cold out. He fell asleep almost immediately.

Applejack came out of the house a short time later looking for her little sister. It was getting to be lights out time. She headed off to the barn where she expected to find her and Matt chatting up a storm. She poked her head inside and beamed at what she saw. Matt was laying peacefully in his hay bed with Apple Bloom curled up against him, his arm resting gently on her side. She couldn't help but tear up a little. She quietly closed the door and made her way back to the house.