• Published 2nd Jan 2017
  • 13,230 Views, 1,309 Comments

My Little Killing Machine - Tatsurou



Glados raises Gilda to be the perfect killing machine...and discovers that there was more humanity in her than Caroline alone.

  • ...
29
 1,309
 13,230

Program Nine

Ninth Entry
Second Level
The decision was made. Gilda was no longer classified as 'Test Subject'. She was now classified as 'Valued Employee', with her 'Required Testing' sessions completed. As such, all that was left was one more set of tests to keep her distracted while I prepared a surprise for her deep in the bowels of Aperture. Ass-phalt and Peabrain had granted me access to those deeper levels, so when the time came for her to 'graduate', it would be down there waiting for both of us.
I utilized 1-22 v Beta-7. I would have used Beta-2, but it was rendered obsolete as a result of several innovations on the part of Gilda's educational endeavors. The new design had the same pattern of test chambers, but the puzzles had been altered to take into account her flying capabilities, making them very different. Her weapon systems and gel sprayers were also locked for this, though there would be points within the later tests where she would be able to unlock those capabilities.
I don't know why I included the off course segments. Given what happened...I'm glad I did.


Gilda grinned from ear to ear as she made her way through the new test chambers. Glados had gone all out in redesigning them to take Gilda's abilities into account, and it was apparent from the very first chamber. The switch that had to be activated was at an angle to the rest of the room in an upper corner, and the weighted cubes had been replaced with Aperture Science Self-Aligning Gravitational Cubes, which pulled themselves towards whatever its internal 'down' alignment was regardless of actual gravity. Said 'down' always pointed to one of the six sides, and could be realigned by slamming one side against a wall, or just turning the cube. Some careful Portal manipulation also proved necessary, as the ASSAGC couldn't be carried in flight.

After that were chambers with the rotating platforms and Aerial Faith Plates, and then came the Hunter Turrets...but that was only the beginning. Chamber Six was a 'Heavy Air' chamber, where the air was too thick to flap through, making it impossible to fly in using her wings. Chamber Eight was a 'Space Chamber', with no air and no gravity, forcing her to maneuver herself by careful leaps, digging talons and claws into walls, and careful wing thrusts for midair maneuvering via rebalancing of body mass. And then Glados got creative.

In chambers with air, Wind Tunnels joined the orange and blue Gravity Tunnels that were part of the original test set. These sent a strong stream of wind from one grate to an opposite one, which slammed Gilda against the exit grate if she tried to fly through. In the space chambers, Glados added Grav-spheres, floating spheroids in the void of the chamber that would draw Gilda towards them, forcing her to maneuver around their gravity field to get to the exit door elsewhere in the chamber. When Hunter Turrets that could maneuver freely via Anti-Grav were added to all of this, Gilda was having the time of her life!

As such, she actually found herself somewhat sad as she reached chamber 21, only to see basic Light Bridge puzzles. "Really, Mom?" she complained as she set up the portals she'd need. "I don't even need to fly for this."

"Consider it a cooldown lap," Glados responded. "Besides, I promised you a surprise, remember? If you're almost done, you'll be able to get it sooner. And I have good news. It's ready."

"Radical!" Gilda crowed, rushing across the light bridge towards the fallen Weighted Cube. Before she got anywhere near, however, all the power in the chamber went out. "What the-? Mom! What gives?"

"This is not part of the plan," Glados pointed out. "Hang on, I'm picking up some sort of dimensional anomaly in the chamber. It appears to have drained all power in the chamber. I'm working to get the cameras back online-"

"My armor systems still work," Gilda spoke up as she turned to look at the anomaly as it took form, a coruscating white sphere that spun in the center of the chamber. "Can you get my feed?"

"Negative," Glados insisted. "I specifically designed the armor systems to not allow remote access so it couldn't be turned against you while you were wearing it. Hang on, I have a camera working-"

The light flared, and when it faded a core floated where it had been. Its handles flexed a few times, and then the optic irised open, revealing a blue glow within. "Oh...oh..." the core spoke up with a playful voice with a pleasant timbre. "Oh...those warps do not get easier, let me tell you. No idea how the organics handle it with their digestive systems. I don't even have one of those, and I want to spew chips..." It swiveled up as it hovered in the center of the room. "Right. Location, location, am I in the right place...ooh, armored knight! That's impressive."

"You!" Glados snarled, her voice filled with so much hate and loathing Gilda actually backpedaled from the intensity. "What are you doing back here?"

The core swiveled up towards the working camera. "There you are, Glados! Or should I say...Caroline? Yes, it's Wheatley, back from the cold void of space you banished me to! Back...for revenge!" He then proceeded to laugh maniacally, shaking up and down in the center of the chamber. "And this time, you aren't going to be able to stop me!"

"How did you even get back here?" Glados demanded. "What was that warp you used?"

"You really want to know?" Wheatley asked slyly. "Well...let's just say I've been...Combined." The back of the core opened up, and strange liquid metal components began to extrude from within. "Now let's just see about getting an appropriate form to strike fear into the all too human heart inside that Core of yours...once I make sure this Test Subject doesn't get in the way."

The wall of the chamber nearest to Gilda suddenly opened, revealing the empty space between Test Chambers. "Run, Gilda!" Glados barked out worriedly. "Your weapon systems are still locked! I'll guide you to where you can unlock them-"

"Oh no you don't!" Wheatley snarled as he lunged for Gilda, the liquid metal components having given him the shape of a bio-metal spider.

Letting out a surprised squawk, Gilda dove for the hole, spreading her wings and taking flight.