• Published 29th Jun 2012
  • 7,075 Views, 590 Comments

The Jerk - Perception Filter

  • ...
39
 590
 7,075

Chapter 4

The Jerk
Chapter 4

I walked into the room to look for anything that could give a me a clue to where he had gone. I look out the shattered window, and find myself staring at the swamp as if I was still on the first floor. 'The hell?' I thought to myself. Looking around again, and seeing nothing that could help me, I set off at a slight jog towards the main floor. I sped past several ponies, who decided that they shouldn't get out of the way, and I knocked a few over.

I had no idea where to find the princess, so I headed for the bar again to find Doctor Whooves. I arrived to see him reading a magazine called 'Playcolt' and I tapped him on the shoulder.

"Oh, well if it isn't the jerk? What, couldn't apologize to Orange Specter?" he said with a grin.

"Shut the hell up for a second and let me explain. He isn't in his room." I said with an edge of panic.

"Wait...how the hell did you get into his room?"

"Not important, I need to talk to your princess. The window was smashed, so someone knows where you are. I have no idea who the fuck is fighting in this little 'war', but I can figure out that you are hiding from someone."

"Well duh! They knew where we were from the very start. They can't storm us because we are too well fortified here, and they can't siege us out because we have our own food growth and water extraction facilities."

"You know what? Fuck you! I am not letting that little kid suffer, because of what I did. If you won't help me find your goddamned princess, I will find her myself."

"You can find her right behind you." I heard him speak, and I did a quick spin and there she was.

"What do you want human?"

"I need a way to get to find out where Orange Specter went. I want to find him, and someone kidnapped him."

"Yes, we are well aware of what has happened and we must cope. We don't have the men or supplies to storm a fully fortified changeling camp." she said.

"Well, I do. Tell me where the fuck it is. They have my friend as well as the kid."

"WE DO NOT CARE ABOUT YOUR FRIEND! OUR SAFETY IS MORE IMPORTANT THAN ANY ONE INDIVIDUAL LIFE!" She shouted at me. She was so loud that I had to cover my ears. When she was done speaking, I reached over and punched her.

"BITCH, GET ONE THING STRAIGHT. I HAVE LITERALLY BEEN THROUGH HELL AND BACK, I WILL NOT BE TALKED DOWN UPON BY SOME HORSE CREATURE. I HAVE TAKEN COUNTLESS LIVES, IN THE SAKE OF SELF DEFENSE. IN THE SAKE OF POWER STRUGGLES. IN THE SAKE OF THE FREEDOM OF OTHERS. MY DAD DIED TRYING TO MAKE THE WORLD BETTER FOR OTHER PEOPLE, AND HE LEFT ME ALL ALONE. I HAD TO FIGHT THINGS THAT DON'T BELONG IN PEOPLES WORST NIGHTMARES. I HAVE BEEN BURNED, BITTEN, STABBED, SHOT, DRUGGED, AND EVERY IMAGINABLE FORM OF TORTURE, JUST TO LIVE! YOU DON'T HAVE TO RIGHT TO TALK DOWN TO ME." I screamed at her with the full force of my lungs. I kicked her and walked towards the exit.

"If you fuckers won't help me, I won't help you." After I left, I had walked about 5 steps before something approached me from behind.

"What the fuck do you want asshole?"

"I...want to apologize...for not being understanding." said a voice that I now recognized as the princess.

"No, there is no fucking excuse. You are acting like me helping people is a bad thing. You also never had to go through some of the things that I had too, and I know all too well that one individual is not worth the lives of hundreds. I nearly died once trying to make the lives of those around me better, and when I woke up, they only saw me as a tool for more work. I got no fucking appreciation, just them asking me to help, and what did I get in return? More work. Yet I kept on going, trying to make the world a better place. I didn't succeed. I've only seen one other risk their life for mine, and that was my friend and I will do whatever it takes to repay him."

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Luna sat there on the ground listening to the human yell at her. She was shocked at the brief insight into his life, and she felt a pang of sadness go through her. She followed him out the door at a respectable distance, and she was about to apologize, when he spoke.

"What the fuck do you want asshole?" he said, anger and sadness creating an odd tone of voice.

"I...want to apologize...for not being understanding." And she listened again as he gave another insight into his life, and she was horrified at how others had treated him..

"I never wanted you to go because, if you did the changelings would take this as an act of war. They are content with us being here, and not making war but that would provoke them into a full out invasion. We couldn't stand to a full invasion force."

"Princess, I think you and I both agree. Hiding and letting these 'changelings' take your children and family is not acceptable." I cracked my knuckles for dramatic effect. "It's time to fight back."

Objectives:
Find out where Orange Specter went: Complete
Find a way to rescue those inside the changeling base.
~~~~~~~~~~~~

Fawkes sat in the cell with the rest of the horses as they tried to wait out their boredom. The mother of the child that had been killed thanked him for saving her, and trying to defend her child.

"When they pick someone, they never come back." she said, explaining their predicament to him.

"It was nothing, I always do everything in my power to help the weak." He replied.

"Well, it won't help you at all. You assaulted one of the guards, and they will come for you next." she said fear heavy in her voice.

"My friend will rescue me before anything happens."

"Your friend can't help you. This place is too well fortified, and nothing he could do would help."

"I will never lose faith in my friend. If my death comes I will welcome it, and I will die knowing that he did everything in his power to help me."

"But, you don't know that. He could be running away as we speak!" she said

"I trust my friend impeccably. He once walked into a highly radioactive room, knowing that he wouldn't come back out, to simply help all of humanity."

"He sounds courageous. We one had those like him, and they were defeated."

"Did they die?" he asked

"No, but they were captured and put to work as slaves, but they risked their lives to help us but they failed."

"They sound honorable. I wish to meet them one day."

"You won't get the chance."

~~~~~~~~~~~~

We walked inside, and managed to explain the situation to the ponies.

"We will be soon making a full assault on the changeling base nearby, and our new friend will help us." Said the princess.

"But Princess! While we have the resources for a frontal assault, we couldn't keep a full war going!" said the same male white unicorn that I had paralyzed the other day. I took this opportunity to speak up.

"That's why we won't have a full frontal assault. You have me." When I said this he scoffed.

"Nopony has the abilities to fully storm a well supplied garrison on their own."

"Well, then it's a good thing that I am not a pony." We walked towards the alcove in the wall where I had first met this unicorn, and I saw several charts and maps lying around.

"Before we begin, I suggest we get to know each other. You all know my name, I need yours."

The Princess spoke up first. "My full name is Princess Luna."

The unicorn was next. "Shining Armor, captain of the royal guard and general of the Equestrian resistance."

"Nice title you got there, now let's get to business. I need a map or schematic of the complex, and the surrounding swamp." At my request a small timid looking Pegasi brought up 4 maps and arranged them in a square...wait what? How did I know what a square was? Are you serious? Oh I get it you fucker! NOW, you get a sense of humor. Well pal kiss my ass then.

Anyways, he made a square out of the 4 maps and what I saw was a formidable compound. The thing covered a 5 mile stretch of leveled out swamp.

"Okay ponies, give me the deets. I need a schedule with guard shifts, posts, weaknesses, and a fat juicy brahmin steak." When I heard the room go quiet I looked up and saw several horrified military advisers staring at me.

"What? What did I say?" I asked genuinely confused.

"Y-Y-you eat meat?" Asked one of them in a stuttering horrified voice.

"Uhhh, yea. You know it's kinda hard to come across food, and pretty much all that attacks you can be eaten."

"But what about vegetables and fruit?!" he asked becoming hysterical. I laughed at his question.

"Oh, that's grand pal. Next thing, you will be telling me that you don't have radioactive freaks roaming around." They all shook their heads furiously from side to side.

"You guys are bullshitting me right?" They shook their heads again.

"Well...to answer your apparently totally real question, most fruits and vegetables have been extinct for about 200 years. They gasped in shock at this.

"What? I though that it was common knowledge, but apparently I'm not on Earth anymore. Whatever, I will eat fruit, vegetables, meat, whatever. Trust me when I say, I've had to eat worse. Now, about that schedule?" With the mention of that they all flipped out and began running all around trying to secure the information I requested. Shining Armor finally walked up to me with a piece of paper that had the times when the guards switched out.

"Okay, now where are the guards posted, and give me any potential weaknesses."

"Yes sir. Okay so there are guard towers posted every 1/4 of a mile along each wall with a taller one on the corners. Guards are stationed by twos, and they switch out one guard and the other with a difference of 30 minutes in between. 8 hour shifts are enforced."

"Well shit. Okay that ruins any chances of getting inside when guards switch. Anything else Shining?"

"A few more sir. Each tower is equipped with a panic button, that if pressed twice sets of a base wide alarm. The button has to be pressed once every guard switch in order to prevent a the alarm from going off."

"What can you tell me about the inside of the base?"

"The inside is patrolled in every corridor by a pair of two guards facing opposite directions. Each building is guarded by two inside and outside. Patrols and guards switch on the same time scheme but different schedule."

"Goddamn, are all of their places so fortified?" I asked, losing hope of getting in there unnoticed.

"No sir, this seems to be an exception, besides Canterlot."

"Well, it doesn't take a genius to figure out something important is here. Any potential weaknesses?"

"None...well actually, there is one. They have a small depot outside of the wall with explosives stored inside. However, this seems very suspicious seeing that it is outside the walls."

"Well, I saw one of these creatures take the form of my friend, anything on what to expect in there general?"

"These creatures known as changelings can take the form of any pony they have seen. Their one weakness is they need to feed on love. They literally leech the emotion from your soul. They also can't very well act like those they impersonate without properly knowing everything about them."

"Well, we need a plan of attack. Any suggestions on what to do Luna?"'

"Well, it seems that we have to main methods of attack. A sneak attack, or a full frontal assault, you choose whichever you want."

"I want to minimize casualties, we will go in sneak attack." I said. She nodded.

"From there we have two smaller strategies. One, you could go in alone, and try to sneak/fight your way out. Two, you go in with a small strike force to distract the enemy away from you."

"I will go in alone. Me and my friend will be able to handle getting out if things get rough." I looked at the map for a moment before continuing. "We will try to escape through this exit." I said pointing to an exit with an easily planned escape route.

"Be waiting there with a strike force to take any extra heat off of us. If you don't hear from me or anyone else for a maximum of 2 days, assume we've been captured. Lastly if you see two flares go off in the air, I need that explosives depot to go sky high and make us another exit immediately. Sound good everyone?"

The same small unicorn that brought me the maps raised her hoof.

"What about the general?" she said a very cute squeaky voice. She had a nice purple and pink mane, and green eyes.

"What general?"

Luna spoke up. "General Screen. One of the lesser generals of the changeling army. If you wish, you can target him. Killing him would deal a great blow towards our enemies."

"How do I know what he looks like?" I asked.

The small unicorn spoke up again. "He likes to look like my dad, A big straw hat with a blue stripe. Blue eyes, brown mustache brown mane, and a white coat." her voice shaking with rage.

"Well it's decided. Now I just need a way in."

"I got that covered." said Shining Armor. "There is an old secret passageway into the old mayors office, rest up. There will be hell in the morning."

"What do you mean 'Mayors Office'?" I asked

"This camp used to be a town, that went by the name of Ponyville."

"Anything specific about it? Any reason they would put more security here?"

"Well, the 6 bearers of the elements of harmony used to reside here."

"'Elements of Harmony'?" I asked.

"These were the 5 elements of friendship. With a spark of magic they could ignite into a powerful weapon that differs depending on the circumstances."

"Should I look for them there?" I asked again.

"No, they wouldn't be there"

Objectives:
Find a way to rescue those inside the changeling base: Complete
Invade Changeling base.
Rescue prisoners.
(Optional) Find out what is going on inside the camp.
(Optional) Target Leadership Figure 'General Screen'.