• Published 29th Jun 2012
  • 7,075 Views, 590 Comments

The Jerk - Perception Filter

  • ...
39
 590
 7,075

Chapter 11

The Jerk
Chapter 11

I finally arrived back at the 'Larger on the inside' hut. Glancing around, I noticed that the silence was still permeating the air. I gently opened the door, and found that the room was also empty, save for the training dummies in the middle of the room. I was beginning to think that their company would be preferable to actual living things. Certainly would be more quiet. There were no signs of battle, so there hadn't been any large fights. God it was unnerving. I quickly walked up to the bar/restaurant and was greeted by the cowering form of the bartender.

"STAY BACK! STAY BACK! YOU'RE NOT TURNING ME INTO ONE OF THOSE THINGS!" He shouted at me, while swinging a frying pan at me.

"Just calm down man, it's going to be fine."

"GAHHH STAY BACK!" He yelled swinging the pan again and actually hitting my face. He had a pretty good swing too. "DON'T TOUCH ME YOU FREAKS! I WON'T BE LIKE YOU. I'LL DIE FIRST!"

"Calm the FUCK DOWN MAN!" I near yelled at him, and he took another swing at me and I intercepted the pan and yanked it out of his grip.

"Played dead." He said in a whimpering tone without his weapon. "That's what I did, I played dead. They took the live ones. Oh god I can still hear them! Monsters. AHHHHHH!" He screamed flinching at a small shadow.

"Dude, just tell me what happened. It's going to be okay." I said in a soothing voice. It didn't work.

"The Captain, Sandy, Mendoza, those things took them." I already had a sinking feeling on what happened, but this crazy pony wasn't making things any better.

"Okay man. We're gonna get out of here. Just calm do-"

"THEY'RE GONE! GONE! DO YOU HEAR ME? GONE!" I was getting tired of his freakish rants and I cuffed his head hard enough to knock him out. I picked him up and draped him over my shoulders and I turned around and nearly shit myself. Hey, shut the fuck up. If you had been there you would've been scared too. Anyways, standing in front of me was a perfectly fine princess Luna.

"Why hello there John. It's good to see you again." She said with a calm glare.

"Why, uhm hello there princess. I was just helping this pony here. He was ranting about 'them' taking him or something. Heh, eh- heh.... " I trailed off nervously. This wasn't Luna, even an idiot could've seen that. I was just playing it safe for now. I was never very good at going incognito.

'Luna' raised an eyebrow. "Indeed. Please, you can hand him over, I will take him to the infirmary."

"NO! I-I mean, I really should do it. You know, you gotta rest that pretty flank of yours sometime right? Eh, heheh,...." I gagged inwardly upon hearing myself utter that sentence, but it worked. It seemed even phonies weren't immune to flattery.

"R-really? You think my flank is pretty?" She said with a blush. She blanched, slapped me and ran off her face redder than I would have though possible. I leaned over once she was gone and vomited. After emptying the remaining contents of my stomach I heaved the pony on my shoulders and glanced around. The room was still empty. Taking the opportunity while it lasted, I bolted for the door. Opening the portal, I was once again greeted by that unearthly silence. I exited the building and set off in the direction of the castle on the mountain in the distance. It's not like I had anywhere else to go.

After about 30 minutes of walking, I set the pony down and wrote a note in the mud in case he woke up before I got back.

~~~~~~~~~

I arrived back at the hut, and entered it cautiously. I glanced around, and began exploring, my Pip-Boy mapping out everything around me. I quickly headed in the direction I thought the dungeon would be. Why they would have a dungeon? I don't know, it just seems like the thing they would have instead of a prison. I quickly found several flights of stairs leading down into the lower levels of the base and came to a dimly lit hallway with a single door at the end. I swear, it's like the ponies built things like this on purpose. Oh, and one of the ceiling lights was flickering on and off. Fun right?

I finished walking down the hall and reached the door at the end and when I tried to open it, I found the lock was broken. Goddammit. I turned around and was about to go back the way I came, and saw 'Luna' glaring at me.

"What are you doing here?"

~~~~~~~~~

Heavy Shot woke up with a throbbing head, in a small clearing in the swamp. He glanced around with a confused expression, and then he remembered. Those things. They were like changelings, but they weren't. They swarmed through the base with glowing gold eyes and took everyone who they didn't kill. At first, they thought they could hold them off, they dealt what they thought were killing blows left and right, but they got up and fought again when their backs were turned. It was complete chaos. They had taken his friends, and what did he do? He played dead. He did the cowardly thing and played dead.

He was broken out of his internal monologue by noise. The silence had stopped, but it wasn't what it usually would be, this was worse. In the distance there was a faint screaming noise. And it was getting louder.